• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 DLC announced.

Kikujiro

Disclosure: I worked on the original MN9 Kickstarter campaign.

FWIW, it's not Day One DLC (the full update spells this out really clearly a couple places, though if you just saw the OT I can see how you might think this). And it's basically saying that all pre-order money (slacker backers) from this point through the end of the year will go towards making this DLC, if they get enough to make it -- and if they do, the 80K backers who already funded the main game will get it for free.

They are showing their costs (which are over what they are saying they need in pre-order money) and seemingly being totally open about the entire process -- I'm not sure how this can be construed as unethical just because the game isn't out yet, unless you think taking money for pre-orders is unethical.

I do know some people personally don't like hearing about DLC before a game is out yet, for any reason, which I can certainly understand. The update makes it sound like (and I know from working on other games) they are probably talking about it now cause of how some parts of game dev finish before others.

This should be in the OP, but people will just ignore your post and make drive-by hate comments because thisisneogaf.gif and they need to vent their frustation.

Said that, the character design is awful.

You assume the game will be a runaway success and make enough money at launch to pay for months of additional development. That's not a very responsible assumption to make.

You think its irresponsible to expect that the DLC can be funded by sales revenue? I think intial sales should have some indication of whether it makes sense persue DLC, especially on a risky kickstarter project. You don't even need to have the cash in hand to start, just go to a bank and get a business loan.

To me it's not really the timing of the development for the DLC, but the whole crowdfunding aspect coupled with the game not being out yet. I would understand if this were just another stretch goal to increase the content of the base game or if the base game was already out a-la Skullgirls, but asking for money to make a DLC that will likely be paid content for non-backers for a game that isn't even out yet is just low. It makes me as a non-backer feel ramsomed into backing so I don't have to buy this separately later on when the game releases, if that makes any sense.
I totally get what you mean. I am not a backer either, I am more or less seeing how the entire thing pans out. Maybe the DLC will be free like Skullgirls characters are for a limited time? It's wishful thinking but it would be nice.

The cartoon series is probably the only major part I disapprove of personally.
That is another can of worms. Asking for money to make the game because you have money on the side to make a animated series...that will be used to promote the game that is funded through crowd funding.

Ugh.

Azure J

I kinda really want that character though. What are the odds of it using a saber and going HAM like Zero in the Megaman Zero series?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
You think its irresponsible to expect that the DLC can be funded by sales revenue? I think intial sales should have some indication of whether it makes sense persue DLC, especially on a risky kickstarter project. You don't even need to have the cash in hand to start, just go to a bank and get a business loan.

In a normal situation where the developers were part of a company and knew they'd still be working together months after release, that approach would possibly make sense. But as has been stated in this thread already, they're probably making individual plans to move on to separate projects when this is finished. When you're a freelancer, it's reasonable and responsible to start looking for your next project before you're done with your current one.

The way I see it, this DLC stretch-goal is just that.

I'm so super glad I pulled my funded from this.

At first, it was just to add more to Shantae, but now I know there was a greater, cosmic reason to it.

junpei

hp-008_1z.jpg

someone shop Inafune face on the mouse

Baleoce

One, Ray needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Ray's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Ray"?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
thank god i dont circlejerk on crowdfunding. they're a business after all.

This is something that gets me, too many people tend to take an extreme view towards crowdfunding, and I don't understand why. If you like what is being promised, support it, moderately.

The whole concept of crowdfunding is based not only on large numbers of backers, but also on large numbers of different projects over an extended period of time. This model will live or die on its ability to create sustainable feedback loops between creator and audience.

If you go in paying $300 every time you see a project you like, you'll burn yourself out on the concept pretty quickly, and that hurts crowdfunding's chances of surviving in the long term.

That this actually gets defended by some... I bet these same people, including MarkMacD, would completely oppose an additional third kickstarter for DLC of a crowedfunded game that isn't even released yet. Fucking kickstarting DLC and now acting like yeh, that's completely cool in actuality because game development ain't easy and shit.

The 8-4-podcast would've laughed such an idea out of the room a year or two back. But those guys always point out their bias due to their job and involvement, so MarkMacD surely won't take offense when I can't take this seriously.

WarRock

C'mon guys. The "sequel" to a Astroboy/Casshern rip-off rip offing other classic robot animes like its predecessor did is bad?

I mean, yeah, I would prefer if they got Yusuke Murata to design another Robot Master or Toru Nakayama to collaborate with Inti again, but a Shin Getter character is totally ok if you ask me.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
That this actually gets defended by some... I bet these same people, including MarkMacD, would completely oppose an additional third kickstarter for DLC of a crowedfunded game that isn't even released yet. Fucking kickstarting DLC and now acting like yeh, that's completely cool in actuality because game development ain't easy and shit.

People are taking this way to personally. This is a completely separate proposition from the original KS. You're free to ignore it, and that has no effect on what you already paid to receive. Asking for more money for additional content doesn't make these guys evil when they are being completely transparent about it.

A-V-B

What on Earth? DLC now?

At least Wasteland 2 had the good humor to pretend it was selling DLC and then go, "haha! Gotcha! Enjoy your game!"

:/

Mr. X

Uh ho.

The amount of money he's asking for a single stage and a character is fucking insane. Is a paying each employee 20k$ per month or what?
With this amount, he can pay 10 people 10k a month for 2 months. You don't need that for one fucking level. The pipeline is already in place.
Those prices are dishonest.
Salaries of probably over 20+ ppl involved
rent/lease for their office
utilities
supplies and equipment
if there is any voice work, they need to pay studio, actor, engineer

Im forgetting expenses though

People are taking this way to personally. This is a completely separate proposition from the original KS. You're free to ignore it, and that has no effect on what you already paid to receive. Asking for more money for additional content doesn't make these guys evil when they are being completely transparent about it.

I'm often wondering what the point of these "personally" statements are.

I'm voicing an opinion on their business practices and henceforth I'm "taking it too personally"? Nah, I don't think anything about this is targeted at me specifically whatsoever. I never even participated in this kickstarter, so no, it's nothing personal to me.

As an outsider, let me just say I have thoroughly enjoyed watching Inafune exploit desperate Mega Man fans for a game that, quite frankly, doesn't even look or sound that hot.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They could and should be using funds from the games sales to fund the DLC development after game release.

Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

How about actually releasing your title before going back to the Kickstarter well, Inafune?

Just say no to frivolous (or just in general!) kickstarters.

Azure J

As an outsider, let me just say I have thoroughly enjoyed watching Inafune exploit desperate Mega Man fans for a game that, quite frankly, doesn't even look or sound that hot.

I really haven't kept up with all the developments this thing has gone through since pledging for the first campaign, but it's really been interesting to see how the whole thing is being handled. I'm interested in seeing its final form still, but it's going to be such an avalanche of fan backlash if the end product doesn't deliver or worse, delivers only enough with the core gameplay and nothing more.

Top Bottom