• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

Stet

Banned
Does RPG Maker even have anything to do with STEM? It's mostly a creative endeavour since the creators of the software did all the heavy lifting for you.

Brak

If you have a moral issue with this kickstarter then don't fund it.
This is much bigger than that. Kickstarter implicates themselves in the scam if they let it go, as they stand to profit from its completion. At that point, I am forced to make decisions about my future usage of the kickstarter service. I have invested in multiple kickstarters, and I want decentralized, crowd-funded solutions to keep growing. Since kickstarter is the premier site for crowd-funding, anything that damages their reputation will damage crowd-funding as a whole. As I would like to believe that kickstarter is not totally fucked, I will agitate in favour of this scam being de-listed.

Simply not funding it is not an option.

Does RPG Maker even have anything to do with STEM? It's mostly a creative endeavour since the creators of the software did all the heavy lifting for you.

Technology in like the loosest interpretation...? More marketing BS. I bet you she doesn't even know what STEM stands for..

After reading the thread more, the fact that RPG maker games cannot be sold...

Already covered, but I had to add my piece. I wish more people knew about RPG Maker before contributing to all these "rpg" kickstarters...

RPG Maker games can be sold, as long as they contain no copyrighted material (so using either the default resources, or original resources made for your game)

However, since paying for the $69.99 program already gives you all the default resources, which come preloaded into the game, it's become something of an unspoken 'rule' among RPG Maker users to not sell your game or beg for money if your game uses zero original content (user created scripts for effects or new gameplay systems count as original content).

The idea being, if anyone can create a simple RPG with this program, it's unethical for -you- to get money for something hundreds of other users are releasing for free. (And there are plenty of free games released that have original resources too!)

By the way, the default resources include several sets of map tiles, a bunch of premade character sprites including a little program to make your own from individual parts, sound effects, music, monster graphics, title screens, and a functioning (albeit) simple system that covers battle, dialog and menus. (and I'm probably leaving some stuff out)

Polygon's article is back up, sort of. It's actually been replaced with a disclaimer:

Why do I doubt this is true?

5iYeyLG.gif

Wait, why is Sullivan's Sluggers something that makes you avoid Kickstarter?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1940696606/sullivans-sluggers-baseball-horror-graphic-novel/

Here's the Sullivan's Sluggers controversy:

1. Guy wants to publish a Baseball Horror Graphic Novel

2. He has a $6,000 goal

3. People get really excited, and he finishes with $97,826 pledged

4. A lot of time passes

5. He made a print run of 6,000 copies...yet he only had 3,000 backers.

6. He told the backers it would be a "Kickstarter exclusive," but then he goes ahead and sells it to stores anyway, even before he sent the books to backers.

7. When confronted about it he has been dismissive and standoffish.

8. AND THEN HE HAD THE NERVE to make an IndieGogo campaign to raise ANOTHER $16,000 because he "ran out of money" and "miscalculated the costs."

Understandably, people are pissed.

Right. I didn't really mention that John isn't an employee, since we don't know that, and if it is the case then they should know anyway... I quoted the Terms of Use and told them about the violation.

Well I didn't outright accuse them of that either...just if John @ kickstarter existed (if someone there did indeed write that word for word)...and then pointed out the TOS violation for endorsing said project ...There is an off chance that all this is truth and I don't want to discount it..

Trey

I've only read two pages of this thread and it has shifted my opinion of crowdfunding to a more negative persuasion.

I think having kids use RPGMaker is a decent way to get them into game design. It teaches a bunch of different skillsets: Game balance, story creation, level design. Plus later versions even have scripting tools

Durante

I've only read two pages of this thread and it has shifted my opinion of crowdfunding to a more negative persuasion.
Why? It should only affect your opinion of this particular crowdfunding project. (Which shouldn't actually need this thread to be negative :p)

LukeTim

Well I didn't outright accuse them of that either...just if John @ kickstarter existed (if someone there did indeed write that word for word)...and then pointed out the TOS violation for endorsing said project ...There is an off chance that all this is truth and I don't want to discount it..

Cool. Well, it'd be great to see a response from them on the issue, but I shan't be holding my breath.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Oh, wow... She has changed her FundHer site... it's now just a picture of a butterfly with a quote from Dumas...
Hmm, I don't see that.

There is a page that lists some things that money has supposedly gone to, but if you click through to those pages, there is absolutely no mention of them having been helped by her site. It's definitely not a registered charity.
I saw that page, but yeah, there's still no real evidence. It's just a series of claims. Even if it's true, there's absolutely no accountability and it's super shady.

Has anybody e-mailed Kickstarter directly about this yet? Because I really believe somebody ought to.
I had to leave and get some food, I'll put something together soon. This really should be something Kickstarter has to answer, one way or another.

Wait, why is Sullivan's Sluggers something that makes you avoid Kickstarter?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1940696606/sullivans-sluggers-baseball-horror-graphic-novel/

2. He has a $6,000 goal

4. A lot of time passes

5. All of a sudden, he announces that he needs another $16,000 to get the book to international backers.

People are PISSED because he got SO MUCH over the initial goal, and yet somehow he couldn't even print and ship 3,000 books with all of that extra money.

There's more than that. He started selling the books to stores before backers got copies, which is troubling for multiple reasons.

There are a ton of issues that came out with this campaign. Read this: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2013/03/07/mark-andrew-smith-sullivans-sluggers-kickstarter/

Could I create a kickstarter with the project being a lawsuit against this lady if she gets funding? There has to be someway to get at her for this. If not get ready for Twitter, Facebook and every other social site the be spammed to hell with copycat requests like this.

I think having kids use RPGMaker is a decent way to get them into game design. It teaches a bunch of different skillsets: Game balance, story creation, level design. Plus later versions even have scripting tools

I don´t think anyone in this thread disagrees with that. But it´s also not what this is all about.

This is about:
- do you abuse Kickstarter to have other people pay for your kid´s tuition, which is against the ToS of KS?
- do you throw your own kids under the bus for that purpose?
- do you spam people on Twitter for it (also against ToS of KS)?
- do you mix in gender issues, just to raise attention, even though they have nothing to do with it?

2. He has a $6,000 goal

4. A lot of time passes

5. All of a sudden, he announces that he needs another $16,000 to get the book to international backers.

People are PISSED because he got SO MUCH over the initial goal, and yet somehow he couldn't even print and ship 3,000 books with all of that extra money.

not to mention selling the book to retailers befroe backers got their copies. and being an asshole whne pressed about it on twitter

Sonicbug

2. He has a $6,000 goal

4. A lot of time passes

Kinda off topic, but it's possible he is running short. A graphic novel kickstarter I backed late last year netted about half that amount, with 1,500 backers. She estimated she'd end up with about 9,000 bucks in profit but broke even after printing and kickstarter took their cut because international shipping costs suddenly went up without warning. If he didn't budget his stuff as carefully, it's totally possible he fucked up and fell short.

EDIT: NEVERMIND. I heard about that project. Yeah, that guy sucks.

As to this mess... Part of me wants to say let the idiots who want to fund the scam get scammed. Kickstarter is always buyer beware, I only fund projects I know can get made and have had 3 awesome projects completed and delivered to me as promised.

The other part of me is pissed because this undermines real gender issues faced by women and is doing far more harm than some sleazy domain squatter scammer being a louse.

<strikethrough>Kinda off topic, but it's possible he is running short. A graphic novel kickstarter I backed late last year netted about half that amount, with 1,500 backers. She estimated she'd end up with about 9,000 bucks in profit but broke even after printing and kickstarter took their cut because international shipping costs suddenly went up without warning. If he didn't budget his stuff as carefully, it's totally possible he fucked up and fell short. </strikethrough>

As to this mess... Part of me wants to say let the idiots who want to fund the scam get scammed. Kickstarter is always buyer beware, I only fund projects I know can get made and have had 3 awesome projects completed and delivered to me as promised.

The other part of me is pissed because this undermines real gender issues faced by women and is doing far more harm than some sleazy domain squatter scammer being a louse.

He made a print run of 6,000 copies...yet he only had 3,000 backers. He told the backers it would be a "Kickstarter exclusive," but then he goes ahead and sells it to stores anyway, even before he sent the books.

When confronted about it he has been dismissive and standoffish.

AND THEN HE HAD THE NERVE to make an IndieGogo campaign because he "ran out of money" and "miscalculated the costs."

Tellaerin

If you have a moral issue with this kickstarter then don't fund it.

Otherwise if you're willing to fund something without checking the financial background of the recipient first, then you deserve to be swindled out of your money by the rich. It's as simple as that, people who are that naive with their money deserve what's coming to them.

People don't "deserve to be swindled". It's as simple as that.

It does look like the kickstarter is down about $1,000 so some people obviously got wise and pulled funding. Sad that more people haven't, but most probably don't follow this stuff or even look at the comments section.

2. He has a $6,000 goal

4. A lot of time passes

He made a print run of 6,000 copies...yet he only had 3,000 backers. He told the backers it would be a "Kickstarter exclusive," but then he goes ahead and sells it to stores anyway, even before he sent the books.

When confronted about it he has been dismissive and standoffish.

AND THEN HE HAD THE NERVE to make an IndieGogo campaign because he "ran out of money" and "miscalculated the costs." Understandably, people are pissed.

Wow, I pulled out of that kickstarter because I had a feeling that the initial number was too low and that the guy was in over his head. So has any books been shipped yet?

not to mention selling the book to retailers befroe backers got their copies. and being an asshole whne pressed about it on twitter
And having the artist (and the artist of a prior high-profile project) basically cut all times with him while he continues to act like a complete jackass about it. Oh, and it seems the artists were the primary draws to both projects.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
This is still going then? Good show Kickstarter. Soon to be the nuanced scam artist's hive of choice.

Trey

Why? It should only affect your opinion of this particular crowdfunding project. (Which shouldn't actually need this thread to be negative :p)

I never really thought about how exploitative this kind of thing can be. Of course, I come from this from the angle of a consumer. I understand that traditional pubs can be a hassle and kickstarter is a tool for indie devs specifically, but it still rubs me the wrong way.

Beforehand, I was neutral on the entire thing.

danwarb

"...and pay for it." Well begging for money online is not quite the same as paying for it yourself.

This person seems to view crowdsourcing as the project.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Can we get a summary of this trainwreck? And that Polygon article...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I got a job in the industry by showing them all the games I made with Klik n Play.

I don´t think anyone in this thread disagrees with that. But it´s also not what this is all about.

This is about:
- do you abuse Kickstarter to have other people pay for your kid´s tuition, which is against the ToS of KS?
- do you throw your own kids under the bus for that purpose?
- do you spam people on Twitter for it (also against ToS of KS)?
- do you mix in gender issues, just to raise attention, even though they have nothing to do with it?

Oh, I'm in no way supporting this piece of crap kickstarter. I was mainly reply to posts like this:

RPGMaker IS legitimate game making, and game making is definitely a STEM field

Stet

Banned
RPGMaker IS legitimate game making, and game making is definitely a STEM field

Is it? I'm not saying it's any less important or that RPGMaker isn't legitimate game making, but she's framing this as a girls-in-STEM argument, and I don't think that RPGMaker really qualifies.

Top Bottom