• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

LukeTim

RPGMaker IS legitimate game making, and game making is definitely a STEM field

As I understand it, admittedly from my limited tinkering years ago, RPGMaker doesn't really require too much expertise in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics...

I could be wrong, and in which case please let me know...

However, learning how to use one particular piece of software/framework to develop a narrow set of products isn't really going to do much to get you into STEM. Learning the fundamentals of the field would be far more appropriate as it is software/framework agnostic.

As I understand it, admittedly from my limited tinkering years ago, RPGMaker doesn't really require too much expertise in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics...

However, learning how to use one particular piece of software/framework to develop a narrow set of products isn't really going to do much to get you into STEM. Learning the fundamentals of the field would be far more appropriate as it is software/framework agnostic.

It teaches the fundamentals of object-oriented algorithms on a general, abstracted scale.

There IS actual programming support in the client, but it's way too inaccessible for a 9 year old.

A typical scenario is like this:

8MIhnv7.png

As you can plainly see, it's not deep into STEM at all. But it does pave the way for greater exploration into STEM-related careers, assuming she remains interested in it afterwards.

LukeTim

In fairness I'm not sure it's really domain squatting...unless someone else owns the trademark/ip. The feed and the picture are unfortunate enough for her in light of the current context though...

It's still a pretty useless way to make yourself money. Nobody else in society is really going to benefit from it... in fact the only other people involved will lose when they have to pay an inflated price, and so I would say it's just as morally reprehensible.

Then again, I do have some unconventional objections to the idea of intellectual property anyway... so I am biased.

LukeTim

It teaches the fundamentals of object-oriented logarithms on a general, abstracted scale.

There IS actual programming support in the client, but it's way too inaccessible for a 9 year old.

A typical scenario is like this:

8MIhnv7.png

As you can plainly see, it's not deep into STEM at all. But it does pave the way for greater exploration into STEM-related careers, assuming she remains interested in it afterwards.

I see. Thank you. I knew that there must be some way of setting out the logic of your games, but I had not expected it to be so... raw... It certainly looks like a kid could learn a thing or two about simple scripting, sure...

Also, I assume you meant algorithms... Besides which, I don't see much object oriented stuff... just looks like sequential script to me... but perhaps that's because I am not familiar with the language... and it's only one screenshot.

So this is the "John" @ KS that endorses Susan Wilson´s scam?

https://twitter.com/dimatosj

QOW6iR5.jpg

Here is his official Kickstarter page:

http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/40103929

http://www.kickstarter.com/profiles/40103929/bio

His account is from "April 2010." If he has been a Kickstarter employee since then, wouldn't he be reflected on the official staff Kickstarter page?

----Assuming the Kickstarter page is out of date and he is a legitimate employee, you can see from the projects he's backed that he hasn't done anything with this Kickstarter.

He posted such a GLOWING endorsement of her Kickstarter, yet hasn't pledged anything... I'm still suspicious.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Lol, a fake KS message? It just gets better.

And if the message happens to be true and John exists, then yes they're endorsing it.

His account is one of the 57 followed by the Kickstarter Twitter account, all of which mention being employed by Kickstarter in their Twitter description. Yeah, he probably works there (and considering the order the Twitter followed accounts, he almost certainly started after the last time the staff page updated). I still maintain my belief the e-mail in question is fake. I would advise again mass spamming him, however, that will definitely piss him off.

Aquamarine said it much more eloquently, but RPG Maker for youngsters is meant to spark interest into STEM fields. If they really like something, they can explore the next steps beyond just the RPG Maker software.

It's no different than teaching kids how to make water-propelled rockets so they might be interested in aerodynamics or physics, or whatever. There's a lot of careers out there, but sometimes the first step is knowing what kinds of careers exist.

Angela Reese said:
Point one: This project is not a violation of Kickstarter rules, if you actually read them. According to the KS guidelines:

"A project has a clear goal, like making an album, a book, or a work of art. A project will eventually be completed, and something will be produced by it. A project is not open-ended. Starting a business, for example, does not qualify as a project."

Mackenzie has proposed a goal of creating a game, and has worked out the project budget based on the training and equipment that will help her do so. Not just for the sake of the training. So clearly, this is not a "fund my life" item.

Lol, did this woman even read the project description?

"Kenzie" only wanted $829, which is just to pay for the tuition fee. She even took a screenshot of the receipt to prove it. So it IS just for the sake of the training. This whole thing about working out a budget is a fake argument. If she had equipment (a laptop) in mind it would´ve been easy to add that to her "budget".

Some people just don´t want to see the truth.

I was really skeptical about trying to use the official roster as definitive proof--companies have no reason to make public all of their employees' names.

It's still fishy (especially because of their policy of not endorsing projects) but I would be very cautious of trying to pinpoint specific Kickstarter employees.

Julie Brown, Susan Wilson´s bestie, pointed to this John in the KS comments.

Brak

Aquamarine said it much more eloquently, but RPG Maker for youngsters is meant to spark interest into STEM fields. If they really like something, they can explore the next steps beyond just the RPG Maker software.

It's no different than teaching kids how to make water-propelled rockets so they might be interested in aerodynamics or physics, or whatever. There's a lot of careers out there, but sometimes the first step is knowing what kinds of careers exist.
This is all quibbles but rpg maker camp, would be closer to a filmmaker's camp. Sure you're gonna learn some technical stuff like how to use a camera, but mainly it's about writing and art. It's much more of a fine arts experience, then a technical one.

It's kind of funny that they shut down the Kaiju Combat kickstarter the moment WotC contacted them, but it's been quite some time and this filth isn't down yet.

This is all quibbles but rpg maker camp, would be closer to a filmmaker's camp. Sure you're gonna learn some technical stuff like how to use a camera, but mainly it's about writing and art. It's much more of a fine arts experience, then a technical one.

Not sure what you're replying to in my post? because I agree with you. Someone said they couldn't see how RPG Maker didn't offer much for developing the technical skill, and I was just replying that it wasn't really about its technical learning capacity, but more about sparking interest in STEM-related fields. In the end, RPG Maker is mainly a hobbyist's engine. Maybe I don't expect much from 9-12 year olds?

LordCanti

The quote is from a kickstarter spokesman, so I guess that's that unless the story is actually picked up by someone with the time to actually do five minutes of investigation. She'll get twenty grand (minus kickstarter's fee) and have absolutely no oversight. Here come the copycats.

Looks like that's good enough to call the fun and games over. I'll still look through Kickstarter for people needing funding but will donate directly to them through Paypal or some other means.

C'est la vie.

If they can't see a scam when it's in progress, there's no reason to give them a cut.

LukeTim

Looks like that's good enough to call the fun and games over. I'll still look through Kickstarter for people needing funding but will donate directly to them through Paypal or some other means.

C'est la vie.

I hardly see why some dude's article on CNET (not what I would consider a reputable website) signals the end of the whole thing.

Tagg9

Kickstarter seriously needs to take a hard stand with this kind of thing, or their integrity as a whole is gonna fly out the window.

I hardly see why some dude's article on CNET (not what I would consider a reputable website) signals the end of the whole thing.

Because he was able to get a direct reply from someone at Kickstarter that endorsed the project. And I'd think it's quite fair to assume that they replied after looking into it a bit more and didn't just reply to a journalist approaching them on the subject without double-checking the project itself. Kickstarter personnel support it to stay up and pretty much just say that the backers will determine if it should remain valid.

So, Kickstarter supports this project so I don't support Kickstarter. Unless some big change happens, which seems unlikely at this point, I'd say that's done.

undrtakr900

THIS WHOLE THREAD IS SO MISOGYNISTIC. YOU GUYS JUST DON'T LIKE RICH, POWERFUL, INDEPENDENT WOMEN.

They don't need no sugga daddies.

VGfpQJF.png
Exactly. Why have just one sugar daddy like Donald Trump, when you can have 1000+ "daddies", who gives you money ... and you don't even have to give up any "sugga". Brilliant!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
John just started working there on February 1st.

Justin Kazmark at Kickstarter:
Kickstarter is a funding platform for creative projects. The goal of this project is to create a video game, which backers are offered for a $10 pledge. On Kickstarter backers ultimately decide the validity and worthiness of a project by whether they decide to fund it.
Blech. That is not the goal.

LukeTim

Because he was able to get a direct reply from someone at Kickstarter that endorsed the project. And I'd think it's quite fair to assume that they replied after looking into it a bit more and didn't just reply to a journalist approaching them on the subject without double-checking the project itself. Kickstarter personnel support it to stay up and pretty much just say that the backers will determine if it should remain valid.

So, Kickstarter supports this project so I don't support Kickstarter. Unless some big change happens, which seems unlikely at this point, I'd say that's done.

Ahh. Re-read it. Yeah, I guess so... It's not coming down, and Kickstarter loses any potential support I might have given it.

Brak

Not sure what you're replying to in my post? because I agree with you. Someone said they couldn't see how RPG Maker didn't offer much for developing the technical skill, and I was just replying that it wasn't really about its technical learning capacity, but more about sparking interest in STEM-related fields. In the end, RPG Maker is mainly a hobbyist's engine. Maybe I don't expect much from 9-12 year olds?
I'm just saying it's more likely to spark interest in Fine Arts than STEM fields. This is not important though.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Well if that's KS' take on it then...

Does this really mean that anyone can just launch a project to fund, say, a college course, with the product reward being the assignments I complete while I'm there? Is that not a teensy bit bullshit?

LordCanti

Does this really mean that anyone can just launch a project to fund, say, a college course, with the product reward being the assignments I complete while I'm there? Is that not a teensy bit bullshit?

That's pretty much what this means, yes.

Edit: To clarify, if those assignments were art or something with a defined kickstarter category then yes. If it was some other class, no.

Shosai

Banned
It will set a dangerous precedent, people will open similar Kickstarters since it's easy money.

Have you really dug through kickstarter? I mean, really dug through it. This isn't a new precedent. Terrible "fund my life" projects have existed since its inception. I'm surprised neoGAF wouldn't have a thread dedicated to them by now

Does this really mean that anyone can just launch a project to fund, say, a college course, with the product reward being the assignments I complete while I'm there?

Go ahead. Try it. I have a hunch it won't generate as much of a negative response, though I can't explain why.

LukeTim

Love this comment from CNET

This whole experience isn't just going to make her a better programmer, but also probably a better daughter and person.

Despite the fact that the 4Chan guy who works there told us that the camp is a scam in itself, and not much actual game development is learned, I fail to see how it will in any way make her a better daughter or person...

As I said, he started work after the last update of the Kickstarter staff page.

Can someone with a Cnet account point out the blatant terms of service violations in that article?

According to Kickstarter´s statement in the CNET article the project is about making a game, so not against the ToS

Even though the project clearly states that they need $829 to pay for training.

I think KS likes the controversy. Probably good for business...

McDougles

She has screencaps of everything, including her paying for the camp and the death threats she received, yet there's no visual evidence of any email from Kickstarter. She just typed out the "email from John" in an update; that's not evidence.

Top Bottom