• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

What the hell the video is just the ramblings of a deidara fangirl and naruto anime.

She talks nothing about what the gameplay or mechanisms of the game.....just I want it to be like naruto (and she knows nothing about naruto but shes 9 so I will forgive that)

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
47 pages... 2much2read, so all I want to ask is have there been any comments by Kickstarter about this project?

The girl in the video doesn't look like the same girl from the Kickstarter image There's the mole on her lower right cheek...although that could just be because the Kickstarter image is of a girl a few years younger. I'm on my phone so can't do a close side by side look.

The level of conspiracy theory in this thread is getting a little wild. The McBryde guy doesn't look or sound very much like the father in the treasure hunting video.

I just read up on all of this and

What the actual fuck is going on

Woman creates a crowdfunding campaign on the merits of her daughter designing a game
Internet challanges said woman on the scope of the kickstarter actually being within TOS
Woman gets behind white knight press and states she is only doing this for her daughter
Woman freaks out about the internet backlash and asks 4chan for help
4chan and internet starts to do its usual...

OMG.....she just says no when the mum tells her to talk about the game at the end of the video. This video just shows she likes naruto but shes adamant not to talk about the game while her mum tries to force to relate to the game.

This is embarrassing.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Woman creates a crowdfunding campaign on the merits of her daughter designing a game
Internet challanges said woman on the scope of the kickstarter actually being within TOS
Woman gets behind white knight press and states she is only doing this for her daughter
Woman freaks out about the internet backlash and asks 4chan for help
4chan and internet starts to do its usual...

I followed you right up till that point. What

Flink

The girl in the video doesn't look like the same girl from the Kickstarter image There's the mole on her lower right cheek...although that could just be because the Kickstarter image is of a girl a few years younger. I'm on my phone so can't do a close side by side look.

She obviously used a younger pic in the Kickstarter to help pull at heartstrings. This woman is a piece of work.

That Naruto-anime-desu-ne-kawaii-chibi video is really sad and just goes to show how retarded this Kickstarter is.

Alucrid

Banned
I followed you right up till that point. What

In an interview she said that she 'reached out' to the reddit and 4chan communities for suggestions on what to do with the extra money.

Also

I never knew Naruto was Nar-uto I always thought it was Nar-oo-toe.

Kaedryl

Neo Member
Ok, dug through the Aibots podcast more - they're grasping at straws.

Bobbi Lynn Peters exists and likely did try to start the boycode. In fact, if you hit the fundher sites, it's only of the charities Susan plugs as a backer. Granted, she did it using her personal name (as well as those of her minor children) instead of the group. Susan may have helped direct the wording of the pitch for Boycode, may have even ghostwritten the entire thing, but Bobbi exists. There's too much easily found into about her on the internet to be a concoction of Susan's imagination.

As for the hostel, no link between it and the Wilsons. McBryde also exists after a few web searches, and the boys in the videos look NOTHING like Zach and Chase.

So, not much there other than wild speculation.

Bobbi Lynn Peters exists and likely did try to start the boycode. In fact, if you hit the fundher sites, it's only of the charities Susan plugs as a backer. Granted, she did it using her personal name (as well as those of her minor children) instead of the group. Susan may have helped direct the wording of the pitch for Boycode, may have even ghostwritten the entire thing, but Bobbi exists. There's too much easily found into about her on the internet to be a concoction of Susan's imagination.

As for the hostel, no link between it and the Wilsons. McBryde also exists after a few web searches, and the boys in the videos look NOTHING like Zach and Chase.

You are killing my hopes of a lynch mob...

In an interview she said that she 'reached out' to the reddit and 4chan communities for suggestions on what to do with the extra money.

Also

I never knew Naruto was Nar-uto I always thought it was Nar-oo-toe.

Why on Earth would she ask 4Chan for help?????????????????

Yeah, I haven't found any evidence that Susan has fabricated other people. Like you said, Bobbi Lynn Peters is definitely a real person. The only thing that is definitive in all this is that Susan is using the personas of her three children on the various crowd funding websites.

PopeReal

What the hell the video is just the ramblings of a deidara fangirl and naruto anime.

She talks nothing about what the gameplay or mechanisms of the game.....just I want it to be like naruto (and she knows nothing about naruto but shes 9 so I will forgive that)

The video shows that at this point there is clearly no real goal. So people are funding something that has no real direction.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
So how do the rights holders of Naruto feel about their content being used as the basis for this game?

That poor girl looked really miserable in the video and her mother comes off as trying way, way too hard to relate to her daughter and shows that she has absolutely no idea what her daughter is into.

Hedja

This is getting extremely pathetic now. That new video is just a cringe-fest. The daughter obviously doesn't care about "Magic the Gathering" and her mother is trying to put words into her mouth. She clearly just picked out MtG from a hat as her game of reference.

And please, I have 9 years and younger nephews and nieces. If they wanted to make a game, they'd know at least what it'd be like. This girl has no idea what her mother wants from her and it's not because of her age.

How can people not see this as a ploy? And why are people mobbing it and spreading its popularity? It's Sarkesian all over again. Bad publicity is good publicity when it comes to this sort of feminism and Kickstarter.

Enco

Kinda have to agree with you.

I don't like her but the internet is looking for things that don't exist.

Judging from that video (which was super uncomfortable to watch), this is going to be a $22K disaster...

Homer.jpg

Shinta

Banned
This is getting extremely pathetic now. That new video is just a cringe-fest. The daughter obviously doesn't care about "Magic the Gathering" and her mother is trying to put words into her mouth. She clearly just picked out MtG from a hat as her game of reference.

And please, I have 9 years and younger nephews and nieces. If they wanted to make a game, they'd know at least what it'd be like. This girl has no idea what her mother wants from her and it's not because of her age.

How can people not see this as a ploy? And why are people mobbing it and spreading its popularity? It's Sarkesian all over again. Bad publicity is good publicity when it comes to this sort of feminism and Kickstarter.

Susan: "Okay, anything else you want to say? Um ... how about, we're going to build an amazing game. You guys rock. Tell me what you want, tell me what you think? Help me make this great."

Kenzie: " ... no."

judy-s-crying.gif

Sera O

Banned
Just days after supposedly advising Susan to make the $10,000 reward tier and supposedly writing the language for the "apology reward" herself, Brenda Romero seems to have resigned from IGDA because they had female dancers at an event.

She's been busy! Maybe she'll focus on Kenzie's RPG full time now?

Hey hey. To be fair, complaints about dancers at an IGDC party being sorta inappropriate aren't baseless. From the other thread it seems it's not the first event this happened at where people took issue with it. It doesn't make her support of this scam look any better, but it shows the nerve this pitch is hitting and why it's been so lucrative with such a flimsy foundation.

I'm so weirded out by the sockpuppet army theory. And that video where the daughter clearly has no clue is just ugh.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Oh man, the end of the video was awkward. Could just be nervous appearing on camera, but she doesn't seem to give much of a fuck about making a game or the people who donated to her. But then she's not even ten years old? I'm not sure I gave a fuck about anything other than my own interests when I was that young either. Man, this whole thing is just weird as hell.

Shinta

Banned
Hey hey. To be fair, complaints about dancers at an IGDC party being sorta inappropriate aren't baseless. From the other thread it seems it's not the first event this happened at where people took issue with it. It doesn't make her support of this scam look any better, but it shows the nerve this pitch is hitting and why it's been so lucrative with such a flimsy foundation.

I'm so weirded out by the sockpuppet army theory. And that video where the daughter clearly has no clue is just ugh.

I don't really care if she resigns or not. I didn't see the dancers, so I can't really comment. It's totally her right to resign if she feels like it.

I just honestly thought it was kind of strange that I've seen Brenda Romero's name in the news twice this week alone. Both are gender related as well. Coincidence? Who knows.

I don't really care if she resigns or not. I didn't see the dancers, so I can't really comment. It's totally her right to resign if she feels like it.

I just honestly thought it was kind of strange that I've seen Brenda Romero's name in the news twice this week alone. Both are gender related as well. Coincidence? Who knows.

What connection are you trying to make here?

Kaedryl

Neo Member
Oh man, the end of the video was awkward. Could just be nervous appearing on camera, but she doesn't seem to give much of a fuck about making a game or the people who donated to her. But then she's not even ten years old? I'm not sure I gave a fuck about anything other than my own interests when I was that young either.

Um, no, that's not typical 9yo behavior. My 9yo daughter is quite like Kenzie - Tomboy, likes games (more board than video, though), can be very shy when put on the spot. However, if you get her talking about something she's interested in, then she's talking 100mph, happy, engaged, thrilled to be discussing this. Kenzie does not have that in the video. That looks like a girl who's being forced to discuss something, does not seem to be thinking at all about a video game (mom is the one that keeps saying "you'd put that in the game...art like that for the game...DEAR GOD, GIVE ME SOMETHING TO WORK WITH!!!".

I really think this is all Susan with Kenzie being only minimally interested.

Shinta

Banned
What connection are you trying to make here?

I just said it's a weird coincidence that she's been in the news twice this week for gender-related issues. Seems like a weird week. First she supposedly contacts a random kickstarter campaign to egg them on to add $10,000 reward tiers with no plan to spend the money and writes out the language for the reward, then she resigns at the end of the week because of dancers.

Weird ass week. That's all I'm saying.

I really think this is all Susan with Kenzie being only minimally interested.

Considering the Kickstarter page doesn't mention Naruto once, I think we can officially rule out Kenzie as being the author of any content on that page.

Falxix

Damn, that video is just depressing. Seems like Mackenzie just wants to talk about Naruto or maybe talk to her mom about it. She doesn't seem to care about making this game at all. Feel bad for her.

Parallacs

Damn, that video is just depressing. Seems like Mackenzie just wants to talk about Naruto or maybe talk to her mom about it. She doesn't seem to care about making this game at all. Feel bad for her.

That RPG camp will be a blast for her. Those 18 hours of programming will just fly right by.

Shosai

Banned

The IGDC incident alone was pretty bizarre. Though, it doesn't surprise me that Romero resigned. From her speech she gave at the #1reasonwhy panel:

Finally, industry veteran Brenda Romero slammed the Electronic Entertainment Expo for its position on booth babes at its event.

"It was just everywhere, it was just absolutely everywhere. I don't care, do whatever you want to do. But it caused a lot of issues with people who were present, it created a sexually-charged environment. For me, it felt like I was walking through a construction site," Romero said.

Romero related sexual comments made during a business transaction, noting that it would be sexual harassment in any other workplace. She then made a point with a series of slides about the games and technology she goes to E3 to talk about, juxtaposed with images of nearly-naked men.

"In looking for images for this, I found myself unable to focus on my presentation. I found myself unable to not respond physically to the beautiful images that I'm seeing. If it affects me, if affects you," she emphasized with language we cannot include here.

Romero then talked about her 12-year old daughter, who at the age of 10 started coding. Romero explained that her daughter gave her a Christmas present.

"At Christmas she got me this book. Inside it said something that moved me more than anything she's ever said. She said she just wants to make a video game with me. That's her dream," she said to applause. "And so, E3, please change it so I can can go to your place and say, 'I'm proud of where mommy works.' And feel that she will be safe there and not gazed upon. It's all I'm asking.

You can't make statements that bold and then, the very next day, watch the company of which you are the chairperson and face of hire exotic dancers at an industry party and just sit there and take it. Or take some passive stance like "It's disappointing but hopefully it won't happen again". At least, not without totally undermining that which you just stood for, or at best seeming out-of-touch.

In regards to the kickstarter connection, Romero's involvement doesn't seem out of the question. It's a much-discussed story, and Romero also has a daughter in the same age range who is also studying game design so....maybe she genuinely cared about the outcome?

Spacebar

What a sad video. The kid doesn't even sound interested in making the game. This woman is just trying so desperately to hang on the last 22 days of this kick starter to get the money.

Wow, so she really ended up deleting the video? Jeez... at least someone backed it up, lol.

It was a mistake to put it up in the first place. I mean, she is backed into a corner where she had to prove her daughter existed, but what she ended up showing was that her daughter is only marginally interested.

Top Bottom