• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

Brak

I am dumbfounded that Kickstarter have still not said more than one line about this. Even if I know they're going to fully support this charade, I still would expect them to write something of substance.

Looks like she posted a new update but it's backers only.

Going by this comment it´s about funding other people´s lives as well:

Joseph Cecil Smith 23 minutes ago

and now, watching you actually open the process to other kids, so now your daughter's dream opens the door for other kids seeking to make and test betas.. that's really generous and magnanimous. and results in lots of games from kids, which can only be super awesome to help make happen..

Smart, it will somewhat rub off the "rich-person-wants-even-more" image. Now she´s a "giver", even though it´s still other people´s money.

LOL

Her best friend added me on Twitter, tweeted those two ignorance articles at me, and then un-added me in the span of two days.

That sure showed me what's up!

A little off topic, but in the UK the crowd/ tax payer is also funding someone´s life:

[oh, apparently that newspaper is blocked here]
In short, the story: this woman, Josie Cunningham, has no breasts at all. Goes to a doctor, says she suffers from emotional distress and can´t go to beaches. So they arrange for a boob job. She gets a D cup paid for by the National Health Service.

Can we expect some of this on KS as well, now that Susan Wilson´s project got greenlighted?

So I pledged $1 to her Kickstarter so I can comment on it + see the "backer-only" updates.

Don't worry GAF-ites, I will be withdrawing it close to the pledge deadline. This woman is NOT getting any of my money.

But since I don't respect her in the slightest, here's her latest, backer-only update.

rOlFW1K.png

Spwn

Now she´s a "giver", even though it´s still other people´s money.

I wonder why people are more than pleased to give Susan Wilson their money to "put the money into a worthy cause" and in the process let Kickstarter take the 5% cut of that rather than donate that money to charity themselves.

Oh right, because this way they can make a bold statement.

So I pledged $1 to her Kickstarter so I can comment on it + see the "backer-only" pledges.

Don't worry GAF-ites, I will be withdrawing it close to the pledge deadline. This woman is NOT getting any of my money.

But since I don't respect her in the slightest, here's her latest, backer-only update.

So, we got the Keep Up brand, the PinkieSquare brand and she wants to make it an annual event? Wouldn´t that be cool?

Also she´s handing out some peanuts to poor indie devs. Classy. :)

I thought this was about making a game.

Edit: however I think the PinkieSquare thing could actually be a good idea, if it would become a viable platform where kids could meet up with game devs and learn. This whole project should´ve been about that instead of how it all started now. And I still don´t think Susan Wilson is the right person to run such a platform.

iammeiam

Mom manages to turn daughter's project into an exciting new business venture for her! On the one hand, the actual end result may be good. On the other, this is clearly a woman who's been trying to get crowd funding to support her next project for years (since the kinkos.com thing made her hate venture capitalists), and it's difficult to not be extremely cynical about her leveraging her daughter into a way to get herself a new project. Entrepreneurs gonna entrepreneur.

Parallacs

So, we got the Keep Up brand, the PinkieSquare brand and she wants to make it an annual event? Wouldn´t that be cool?

Also she´s handing out some peanuts to poor indie devs. Classy. :)

I thought this was about making a game.

Edit: however I think the PinkieSquare thing could actually be a good idea, if it would become a viable platform where kids could meet up with game devs and learn. This whole project should´ve been about that instead of how it all started now. And I still don´t think Susan Wilson is the right person to run such a platform.

Yes she is. She is a pro at buying domain names.

Her daughter is a pro at game development (once she takes the class), and her sons are pros at being the brats that the internet needs for motivation. Her husband seems to be staying out of this one.

Yes she is. She is a pro at buying domain names.

Her daughter is a pro at game development (once she takes the class), and her sons are pros at being the brats that the internet needs for motivation. Her husband seems to be staying out of this one.

The hubby is a pro at handling the indiegogo cash flow.

Mom manages to turn daughter's project into an exciting new business venture for her! On the one hand, the actual end result may be good. On the other, this is clearly a woman who's been trying to get crowd funding to support her next project for years (since the kinkos.com thing made her hate venture capitalists), and it's difficult to not be extremely cynical about her leveraging her daughter into a way to get herself a new project. Entrepreneurs gonna entrepreneur.

It would´ve been fine if she had done this from the getgo, and out in the open.

Also I feel like this wasn´t what she had planned originally. It feels like this is coming from the devs she has been in contact with, like Brenda Brathwaite.

What´s funny is that the gender issue no longer seems to be an issue for her now. Boys and girls alike can pay her... can join the jolly crowd on PinkieSquare.com.

vulva

Funny how she suddenly cares about kickstarter guidelines when it involves giving a reason why she can't donate to charity.

moka

Oh great, another terrible GoDaddy website incoming.

Seriously though, she wants to hire designers and developers to help build this?

Oh man. I don't even know what to say anymore.

So I pledged $1 to her Kickstarter so I can comment on it + see the "backer-only" pledges.

rOlFW1K.png

So basically her daughter is going to be commanding some mega-underpaid designers and developers. To be honest I think it would have been better to just stick with her going to the camp and making the game, on her own. Now it's even worse. They're raising money so she can go to camp, learn to make games and they're using the extra money to get professionals to make the end product for her. Sure, Mrs. Wilson says that her daughter is going to be 'lead' and it's her 'vision' but who are we kidding? She's 9.

This sure is going to be entertaining, if nothing else.

Oh great, another terrible GoDaddy website incoming.

Seriously though, she wants to hire designers and developers to help build this?

Oh man. I don't even know what to say anymore.

Up until now, has she actually done anything by herself? There is a pattern about having other people fund this for her, bring on the ideas, and now implement the "vision" of a 9yo girl. I´m sure those devs will be thrilled to have to listen to the ever changing opinion of a priviliged kid.

moka

Up until now, has she actually done anything by herself? There is a pattern about having other people fund this for her, bring on the ideas, and now implement the "vision" of a 9yo girl. I´m sure those devs will be thrilled to have to listen to the ever changing opinion of a priviliged kid.

Brings the image of any number of films involving rich-privileged-spoilt kids to mind.

LordCanti

The options are giving a refund...or hiring people to make an RPG maker game instead of the girl who...

I'm out.

Dunan

It's amazing how nobody comes out of this looking good.

• The mom is a scammer, a repeated scammer, and happy to run her children through the ringer to get some cash. Domain squatting, pump and dump, the whole nine yards of shady entrepreneurship.
  • The kids, if they're real, come off as douchebags and idiots.
  • 'The internet' sends death threats to children and their parents, and generally get to be portrayed as misogynistic assholes in national media.
  • 'Journalists' get suckered by a con-artist and refuse to do any god damn journalism.
  • Kickstarter refuse to enforce any of their policies, actively enable this scam and lose a lot fo trust.

I don't think the boys ever did or said anything wrong. Even if they did tell precious little Kenzie that "a girl can't make a game", that pales in comparison to all the ridiculous pro-girl, anti-boy garbage continuously spewed from their mother's mouth and just possibly from their over-indulged sister's mouth.

moka

I don't think the boys ever did or said anything wrong. Even if they did tell precious little Kenzie that "a girl can't make a game", that pales in comparison to all the ridiculous pro-girl, anti-boy garbage continuously spewed from their mother's mouth and just possibly from their over-indulged sister's mouth.

I don't blame the girl, her main role model, her mother, is a misandrist. She thinks she's fighting for women, for equality, for feminism but really, she's just a man hater.

Really, all you have to do is look at her commenting, blogging and tweeting history. Her whole life is dedicated to women's rights which isn't a bad thing but I think this dedication has turned into some sort of obsession. She's blinded.

Girls rule! Boys drool.

22k... I'm not entirely sure how much talent you can hire with that.

I guess you can use to money to get her to go take a programming class instead of this rpg scam.

Kaedryl

Neo Member
PinkieSquare.com! That's the site we're going to use to document development of Kenzie's RPG. When Kenzie was little she couldn't say, pinky swear so she said, pinky square. The correctly spelled URL was taken but we got something close and Kenzie's jazzed - especially because while she has a neon pink streak in her hair, other than that, she refuses to wear pink.

Since we've had so many amazing industry vets and just smart people in general offer to mentor and advise Kenzie, we're going to set it up so that other kids can learn as she does with Expert Q&A sessions for example, podcasts about coding for kids, all sorts of information relevant to Kenzie building her game but packaged in a way that LOTS of kids can benefit from it and participate in the process. And of course it'll probably be non-stop Kenzie 24/7 for those interested in seeing what she really thinks and cares about.

We had two options with extra funds - make the game better or refund everything. Giving it to charity or scholarships is against KS guidelines. So Kenzie wants to use the money to make the coolest game possible (hiring artists, developers, etc. to help). We've got great established players that have volunteered so we're hoping this is a great chance to support some struggling indie developers, artists, etc. who need a little cash but truly care about the intent of what we're doing.

In addition, we'll soon be taking sign ups from 9-11 year olds interested in being beta testers.

And then, we're hoping to launch the game at a weekend Game Jam type event for kids. Of course, KS money won't be used for this so we'll be looking for corporate sponsors, industry vets and anyone else that cares about getting kids (boys and girls) into game development. Wouldn't it be cool if it was an annual event?

I can't say we have a development budget or plan to lay out for you at this moment but I wanted you to know where we're headed (and yes, we're working on both). Hopefully a number of you will want to stay involved in the creation process as we roll through the next three months.

Is it going to be tight? Yes, but remember this started small so I do think it's important to keep expectations in check. She's 9! Even if we use experts to help, Kenzie is still the lead on this and will be making the game. She'll get some help but ultimately it'll be her vision (which I imagine she doesn't even realize will need to be molded and crafted to create a story with great characters and ultimately a game she and lots of other kids will want to play.

Stretch goals remains a question and that's next on the list of things to figure out. But first we want to get PinkieSquare.com live tomorrow so we can get emails and a submission process started that does not involve FundHer (bc that's been the email address we've been using & I'm anxious to distance this project as much as possible).

Obviously there will be security and privacy precautions in place so rest assured that it won't be an open forum. But we are thinking about open architecture so it should be an exciting ride that doesn't end with one stop.

Fingers Crossed!

P.S. Beefjack just released this story: http://beefjack.com/features/the-best-and-worst-of-kickstarter-an-interview-with-susan-wilson/

Susan Wilson said:
so we can get emails and a submission process started that does not involve FundHer (bc that's been the email address we've been using & I'm anxious to distance this project as much as possible).

Why, Susan? What about girls in STEM?

Or did Kickstarter ask you to, because it´s competition (allthough not much of)?

This is the time when people that cannot afford University should turn to Kickstarter. Everybody always has a goal and can BS enough to make it presentable, right?

Kaedryl

Neo Member
And then, we're hoping to launch the game at a weekend Game Jam type event for kids. Of course, KS money won't be used for this so we'll be looking for corporate sponsors, industry vets and anyone else that cares about getting kids (boys and girls) into game development. Wouldn't it be cool if it was an annual event?

I hope to hell that The Judgement Group is one of the main corporate sponsor of the event, if it even occurs. Of course, that would require using her own money and we know the likelihood of that happening.

So, a woman who negotiated a $100,000,000 deal, suddenly becomes this innocent house wife, oblivious of the value of money, that is tricked by someone else into creating a $10,000 stretch goal:

Susan Wilson said:
Two very successful gamers reached out to me (unable to divulge) and said ‘I’m promoting this to my network, can you add some more tiers, higher level rewards?’ This is bigger than MacKenzie, people are loving this, and this is a generous group, and so I added – you saw the first time, I added $500, I thought that was amazing – well, then I got contacted back and was told, ‘no, make it $10000 here. Just do $10000, maybe it’ll work, maybe it won’t.’ And I was like, ‘what are you saying?’

And literally, she helped me craft the message. It was almost her word-for-word what that says about the boys apologising. It was after the fact because we know it was about more than MacKenzie and the money was going to go to something else. I asked the boys, and the boys thought it was hysterical – yeah we’ll apologise if it creates something cool. My boys… the idea of them doing something to make the world a better place or being part of something bigger is cool to them. So, it was added after at the request of other people with money.

Annubis

WOAW WOAW WAOW!

Julie Brown verbally attacked other posters, casting allusions that she knew their personal details, such as where they were from and their email addresses. Aside from being a backer, she has no direct involvement in the project and thus should not be able to access any such information.

Our business is finding out where people bank, work and own property. Our whole business is literally finding out personal information on people. Now, we always comply with the laws and all that other stuff, but everything’s out there. So Julie found that out on her own. Should she have, you know, made it personal? No. Absolutely not. I told her not to and I’ve since told her again. But, I think she was… she got to the point where it was so bad.

http://beefjack.com/features/the-best-and-worst-of-kickstarter-an-interview-with-susan-wilson/3/

This is plainly a CRIME now.

Vaco6121

This is the time when people that cannot afford University should turn to Kickstarter. Everybody always has a goal and can BS enough to make it presentable, right?

This is what I'm thinking, why should pay I for college myself when I can setup a kickstarter with the promise to make a game when I graduate. Watching this unfold as it has, I don't see a downside for anyone that wants to try it. I actually hope that many more people actually try it.

Julie and Susan don´t think it is, and they follow the rules and guidelines, remember?

Susan Wilson said:
But she said, since everyone was a fan of transparency and the truth, why would there be a problem saying where someone lived and what they did? They cried foul when it was them? But were more than happy to do it to me. Interesting point I wanted to mention if “transparency” and “truth” really are the point, why would Julie saying where someone lived and worked be an issue? I don’t want to get into that debate (frankly bc I’m tired of fighting) but I do think it’s interesting and hypocritical for transparency and truth seekers to cry “foul” when transparency and truth about themselves is shared.”

There's a big difference between PUBLIC information found on the Internet and BANKING databases.

I know. I was being sarcastic. My way to cope with this whole charade. :)

These people really have no shame. The whole innocent housewife act in the BeefJack interview is sickening.

She´s like: I´m all new to this crowd funding thing. Didn´t know what to do. People held my hand when making the stretch goals. Meanwhile she´s RUNNING an f´ing crowd funding site.

Well, they are just guidelines after all, and if you use Gurrl Power, you're apparently allowed to break most of them.

Bu...bu....polyh3dron....Susan FOLLOWS Kickstarter guidelines!

Susan Wilson said:
We had two options with extra funds - make the game better or refund everything. Giving it to charity or scholarships is against KS guidelines. So Kenzie wants to use the money to make the coolest game possible (hiring artists, developers, etc. to help). We've got great established players that have volunteered so we're hoping this is a great chance to support some struggling indie developers, artists, etc. who need a little cash but truly care about the intent of what we're doing.

:) They just don´t want to know.

Kickstarter comment said:
Julien 35 minutes ago

I can't wait a future posting from Susan explaining you all in 10 months that dear Kenzie had changed her mind and now really loves motorcycle, nothing shall ever come out from this project, but you can't force a child to work on something she doesn't want to do anymore, you child-labor slavers!

Do you realize that absolutely no one is responsible for the final result, since Suzan, as the smart girl she is, is currently pretending at every single possible occasion she won't be involved in the actual realization, and the only person theoretically liable is a 9 years old child?

This project proves only one thing, that an gullible crowd is obviously more dumb than one person.

Kickstarter reply said:
Scott Grattan less than a minute ago

@Julien... Thanks for being the protector for all of us gullible people that are too dumb to know how Kickstarter works.

I'm sure you'll be back to apologize to everyone, including Susan and Mackenzie, for running your mouth where it wasn't needed.

Kaedryl

Neo Member
There's a big difference between PUBLIC information found on the Internet and BANKING databases.

In her defense, as he used his real name, I pulled the same info up from facebook in about 30 seconds. Same way I've tracked Julie, Susan and the rest of the crew. His occupation and home are both publically available on his FB account. I've been tempted to use my spam account to friend the rest of the family to dig dirt, but I can't stoop to their level.

In her defense, as he used his real name, I pulled the same info up from facebook in about 30 seconds. Same way I've tracked Julie, Susan and the rest of the crew. His occupation and home are both publically available on his FB account. I've been tempted to use my spam account to friend the rest of the family to dig dirt, but I can't stoop to their level.

To begin with there was no reason whatsoever for her to make it personal as she did.

Those women lack a sense of morality:
- Julie Brown was ferociously defending Susan at first without stating she was actually her bff, and employee.
- calling people expressing legitimate concerns names
- then this thing about Corey´s personal data
- turning things completely upside down: Corey seeks the truth about our shady business, so this means we can freely breach his privacy, right?
- a domestic quarrel between siblings is as good as anything to go out and beg other people for money.
- in the process let´s throw my sons under the bus. (I can understand how this could be funny in the living room, but on a public forum it´s awkward to say the least.)
- bending the Kickstarter guidelines, then suddenly almost lawfully abiding to them because it better fits one´s goals

Shinta

Banned
That interview was actually really well done. Surprised to see some quality journalism, and good questions asked.

And damn ... that shit about Julie is fucking crazy.

And it's funny to me that she keeps the name of the "industry leader" who advised her to do the $10,000 pledge. She already openly said that it's Brenda Romero, John Romero's wife. Yes, THAT John Romero. She apparently told her to go for the cash grab with no plan of how to even use the money, and supposedly even wrote the rewards text. Now she wants to stay anonymous. Funny.

Yagharek

I am dumbfounded that Kickstarter have still not said more than one line about this. Even if I know they're going to fully support this charade, I still would expect them to write something of substance.

Kickstarter are corrupt, dont be dumbfounded.

Seriously speaking, unless your child is a programming prodigy and living in poverty (as in living in a household that cost less than 200K). Why would you ever need corporate sponsors for a simple weekend program FOR KIDS???

undrtakr900

Seriously speaking, unless your child is a programming prodigy and living in poverty (as in living in a household that cost less than 200K). Why would you ever need corporate sponsors for a simple weekend program FOR KIDS???
No you got it backwards, somehow she's going to use the entire 22K+ kickstarter money on "making the coolest game possible" in RPG Maker.

Then if "corporate sponsor, industry vets, and anyone else" donates more money, then she'll start a "weekend Game Jam" for kids. Even better, if they keep giving her money every year, she'll make the event annual, "wouldn't [that] be cool"!

Top Bottom