• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

Don't get me wrong! I think her Kickstarter is despicable as well, but I'm a bit curious why people seem to be pretty cool with Garriotts project. If I remember correct the outcry among the community was pretty loud a few months back when Peter Molyneux took his project to Kickstarter. Molyneux might be rich but not "Britannia Manor" rich.

Perhaps enough people feel a connection to the old Ultima games and there is enough lust for another game that would be like Ultima Online that the rabid dogs are not as hostile to Garriotts project.

vg260

This one is not really picking sides: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162...s-kickstarter-project-stirs-emotional-debate/

So not against her, but also not for. It´s also one of the better articles.

Yeesh, that's sad if it's one of the better articles. It barely scratches the surface. Where's the stuff about all her previous shady cash-grab attempts and the complaints that she is violating the KS ToS in multiple ways. Sadly, this is just garnering her more attention with none of the real problems being discussed. So shrewdly played by her. Disgusting, but shrewd.

Even if this is a legit thing her daughter wants to do, the whole basis of her plea for donations is, my boys are mean to my daughter (as she shamlessly tweeted over and over). So people should fork over money for something she's totally capable of affording because her boys are mean? Let's show these mean boys (her kids) what's what by saving her money. Horrible example to set. So, you want us to monetarily reward your family because you did a terrible job of parenting your mean boys. How about simply teaching your kids how to show support and respect, not reward you for neglecting to do so. Way to reinforce that behavior as positive.

Don't get me wrong! I think her Kickstarter is despicable as well, but I'm a bit curious why people seem to be pretty cool with Garriotts project. If I remember correct the outcry among the community was pretty loud a few months back when Peter Molyneux took his project to Kickstarter. Molyneux might be rich but not "Britannia Manor" rich.

I´m not "cool" with the project. I didn´t back it. It´s just the kind of stuff Kickstarter is meant for. If the project is bad, people won´t back it. Maybe they won´t even back if for the wrong reasons (Lord British being loaded). But it´s something that complies to the Kickstarters rul... sorry, guidelines.

In this case though, there is no project other than a fund my life one, and it´s not presented as such, but as a struggle for women in tech. At best it´s a "struggle" for one priviliged 9yo in pseudo tech.

I usually have the constitution of an ox, but most of the comments on that page made me nauseous.

The causality with which people are completely dismissing or outright ignoring everything that has been brought up makes me want to crack the world in half with my fist.

Clockwork

I usually have the constitution of an ox, but most of the comments on that page made me nauseous.

The causality with which people are completely dismissing or outright ignoring everything that has been brought up makes me want to crack the world in half with my fist.

Why do you hate Kenzie?!

kirblar

Exactly, this is why it´s so bad Susan Wilson played that gender card in the first place. She should have just taught her sons that´s not the way you treat a little sister and be done with it.
She's been pretending to be her daughter in Kickstarter projects for 2 years now, why stop now?

Kaedryl

Neo Member
The true genius to all this is she's not having to do anything. The mob is answering the questions for her and putting ideas into her head. All she has to do is continue to say "but it's for Kenzie" and people will continue to throw money at her. Sadly, we have and likely will next know, how much Kenzie was involved in this or will be involved. The game backers will receive will most likely be what she makes at RPG camp, not a independent product. I'm calling it now that the pledge levels to have people names put into the game and game credits won't happen, but will be excused by the backers. The extra money will disappear and no one will care.

However, you can't get bit by this response and not try to sucker them again, so we'll see what happens with the next project of theirs.

The simple fact of the matter is this.. if she truly didn't want the money as she's been quoted saying, she would've cancelled the KS already.

Garriott's Kickstarter definitely rubbed me the wrong way. Not only does he not need the money and can raise funds through traditional means, but the game was going to get made regardless of whether the Kickstarter succeeded or not. However, it does give him some creative freedom from the demands of publishers (like EA which destroyed Ultima) and if people want to give him money it's a free country and they can do whatever they want. But I don't support giving him money for nothing.

The true genius to all this is she's not having to do anything. The mob is answering the questions for her and putting ideas into her head. All she has to do is continue to say "but it's for Kenzie" and people will continue to throw money at her. Sadly, we have and likely will next know, how much Kenzie was involved in this or will be involved. The game backers will receive will most likely be what she makes at RPG camp, not a independent product. I'm calling it now that the pledge levels to have people names put into the game and game credits won't happen, but will be excused by the backers. The extra money will disappear and no one will care.

However, you can't get bit by this response and not try to sucker them again, so we'll see what happens with the next project of theirs.

I´m suspecting that the seeds of the next project are in this one already.

Either it´s that Keep Up! brand, or it will be something about the game itself. Like she will name the game "Super Virtual Solid Fighter-Wizard on the Edge of Oblivion: Eternity Now and Beyond the Souls of Magic" and will then sue everyone who tries to use any of the words in the game title for their own game.

EVIL

But but... this has become part of something bigger! Girls in tech, don´t you know?

Which is her whole core objective. If you see anything else she has done, its promoting women in important positions. Its a noble goal, but the way she is doing it is disgusting!

The one who understands the concept of females over 30 always wishing they were younger, of course.

She makes her own birthday cakes? That´s kind of sad...

McKenzie Wilson said:
she's 29 but I made her a birthday cake last week so I know she's 43.

EVIL said:
Which is her whole core objective. If you see anything else she has done, its promoting women in important positions. Its a noble goal, but the way she is doing it is disgusting!

I dunno, she´s been paying lip service to more women in important positions, sure. But has she actually done anything for it, rather than trying to make money out of it?

Edit: going in the wrong direction again.

4Wb1weu.jpg

We all know this is going to blow up in everyone's face at some point (it has to). Then we'll get to really shove it in the faces of all these 'journalists'. For or Against style.

We know the truth, we were right all along and these bunch of prats dismissed us. At least this is the only way I can take solace in what is happening. The truth will come out and they'll look daft.

I should probably spend more time worrying about bigger things in life but I don't wanna.

kaiyo

Well, she could have opened a website where the crowd could throw virtual rotten tomatoes at her sons´ images, right?

Damn...I´m giving her ideas for stretch goals or new Kickstarter projects, aren´t I?

Hey, this is a good idea. Any one to back me for this? Just change "her sons'" to "her". But first I need a few thousand to go to programing school. 0:)

bluemax

Banned
Sidenote - Do gamers feel the same about Lord British's aka Richard Garriott aka I'm so rich I spent my vacation in space Kickstarter project?

Yes. I'm sick of all these irrelevant has beens using people's nostalgia to find their ego trips.

Don't get me wrong, the Ultima games were a huge part of my childhood but Richard Garriott has been gone too long.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
"Alex Ronke 30 minutes ago

Good luck with your project. And don't let anyone make you feel bad about making a profit!

You should absolutely keep any and all of the remaining money after fulfilling your backer rewards. There is nothing wrong whatsoever with producing a successful, albeit unusual, product."

WTF ._.

Pasco_

Banned
It's amazing how nobody comes out of this looking good.

• The mom is a scammer, a repeated scammer, and happy to run her children through the ringer to get some cash. Domain squatting, pump and dump, the whole nine yards of shady entrepreneurship.
  • The kids, if they're real, come off as douchebags and idiots.
  • 'The internet' sends death threats to children and their parents, and generally get to be portrayed as misogynistic assholes in national media.
  • 'Journalists' get suckered by a con-artist and refuse to do any god damn journalism.
  • Kickstarter refuse to enforce any of their policies, actively enable this scam and lose a lot fo trust.

The Garriot money-grab was the beginning of the end of my interest in Kickstarter, this whole sorry episode may have nailed the coffin shut.

Kickstarter Pitch

"Hello I am a disabled baby sheep, the KKK reckon I can't write and record an album based on the Tibetan book of the dead in a reggae dub style, please give me funding. I have no musical talent to speak of, I'd love a new laptop and camera P.S please follow my forever spewing twitter @reggaesheep69"

You're not allowed to ask for things like that on KS it's against the terms.

"RACIST PIG, YOU HATE PEOPLE OF COLOUR"

No no, just purely pointing out facts. Also why were you involved with various crowdsourcing projects that are either an out and out scam or in total contradiction to your current project?

"SICK ANIMAL MONSTER RACIST"

I don't think I'll fund this project however I will continue to let people know that I'm sure you're trying to scam people. Bye.

MOTAKU: KKK loving bigots try to stop poor disabled lamb from recording the album of the century, we reckon it's better than the iliad.

OTHERSITES-U: bad nasty people please leave earth shame on you. It's just a baby lamb, that we've never seen or even heard of before.

Lord Phol

It's amazing how nobody comes out of this looking good.

• The mom is a scammer, a repeated scammer, and happy to run her children through the ringer to get some cash. Domain squatting, pump and dump, the whole nine yards of shady entrepreneurship.
  • The kids, if they're real, come off as douchebags and idiots.
  • 'The internet' sends death threats to children and their parents, and generally get to be portrayed as misogynistic assholes in national media.
  • 'Journalists' get suckered by a con-artist and refuse to do any god damn journalism.
  • Kickstarter refuse to enforce any of their policies, actively enable this scam and lose a lot fo trust.

The Garriot money-grab was the beginning of the end of my interest in Kickstarter, this whole sorry episode may have nailed the coffin shut.

Sounds about right, and people wonder why I'm a bitter person when this is the society we live in.

Maybe this is just Kickstarter going mainstream?

The early adopters loved it for its integrity and wealth of possibilities for people who actually needed it. Now they see people coming in with different goals, like this woman. And probably also different types of backers as well. People who don´t care what a project produces as long as the story is sufficiently emotional. In the not too distant future you´ll see people starting projects to learn how to sing. Once they somewhat have, they enroll in shows like The Voice and have the viewers of that show further fund their carreer. Once a celebrity, they have a reality show about their lives and get paid to buy $1,500 shoes. After the novelty of that has worn off, they start a show about their comeback and in the end a show that will pay for their funeral.

moka

Kickstarter Pitch

"Hello I am a disabled baby sheep, the KKK reckon I can't write and record an album based on the Tibetan book of the dead in a reggae dub style, please give me funding. I have no musical talent to speak of, I'd love a new laptop and camera P.S please follow my forever spewing twitter @reggaesheep69"

"RACIST PIG, YOU HATE PEOPLE OF COLOUR"

"SICK ANIMAL MONSTER RACIST"

MOTAKU: KKK loving bigots try to stop poor disabled lamb from recording the album of the century, we reckon it's better than the iliad.

OTHERSITES-U: bad nasty people please leave earth shame on you. It's just a baby lamb, that we've never seen or even heard of before.

Oh, God. We need to send this straight to the media. FIRE UP THE PRESS!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
"
Julie about 3 hours ago

@Henrik OMG!!! Let it go!!!! You're not getting anywhere. You actually think the game isn't going to be awesome and completed by Kenzie with all of the media involved. The media will be following her progress until it's completed. Kenzie will probably get a movie out of this frenzy.

If you ask me this project is probably one of the safest projects on Kickstarter to support and back by pledges. We all know at this point it will happen.

The backers will be part of something big in the end!! And the pledgers will be able to say "I supported that little girl".

For fucks sake... I can't read that board anymore and isn't this the woman's "friend"?

Vamphuntr

Honestly, the more I think about that mess the more I hate having a conscience. It seems so easy to rip off people on the internet but I'm absolutely unable too. Just thinking about something unethical or illegal I feel uneasy. Ugh, when you see idiots throwing money at a scam like that, just imagine what you could do cooking up a similar story with many other popular discrimination topics.

It just seems so awful that she will gets money from her little act while there are real people around the world being crushed by internet bullying and no one is helping them nor are they asking for money.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
A "personal apology" for ten grand? Get the fuck outta here.

Ahem.

-------

<Tomorrow, in the Susan Wilson Household.>

[The Wilson children are playing in the Wilson living room. The teenage boys are on the floor playing Magic: The Gathering together, while the younger Mackenzie sits in her mother's massage chair, playing with her stickerbooks. She alternates pasting stickers onto random pages in the book, and her forehead, cheeks.]

[Older brother 1:] <Looking very sheepish>
"Uh, Mackenzie... I'm sorry I said you can't build a game."

[Older brother 2:]
"Yeah, me too Mackenzie. I'm really sorry. You're really smart and cool and popular. We were just jealous."

[Mackenzie:]
"I TOLD YA I COULD DO IT NO PROB YOU JERKS!"

[Older brother 1:]
Yeah, I know. I should have listened to mom more.

YA YOU SHOULD ! ...

<Mackenzie looks around the room.>

Mackenzie: "OOOOWWW!! OWOWOWOWOWOWOW......WUH---WUH---WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!"

<Older brothers look at each other, confused.>

[Susan:] "MACKENZIE! MACKENZIE! MY LITTLE ROCKSTAR! What's wrong, honey?!!"

MOMMYMOMMY! THEY HIT ME!!! THEY HIT ME HARD WITH BATS! BOTH OF THEM! IT HURTS!

[Susan:]
"Now honey, I don't see any bats. Are you sure...? Where did they hit you? I don't see any bruises. Does this hurt? Now boys, do you want to tell me what the goshdarn heck is going on here?"

[Older Brother 1:]
Aww, mom, nothing. Again, nothing happened! It never does! We were just being very nice to Mackenzie and saying sorry for what we said, and then---

[Susan:] <Slowly turning red.>
"WHAT.
DID.
YOU.
JUST.
SAY."

Older Brother 2:
For the game thing!! We were just jealous and didn't mean she couldn't make a game. WE can't even make a game, but she didn't let us finish explaining what we meant before she cried about us being mean and then you came in like just now and then---

"YOU LITTLE FUCKING SHITS! DO YOU KNOW YOU JUST FUCKING COST ME TEN MOTHERFUCKING THOUSAND DOLLARS BY APOLOGIZING!? ARE YOU FUCKING RETARDED?"

<Christian, Susan's husband and the childrens' father, enters the room.>

[Christian:]
"Whoah! Whoaah!! Susan! What's going on here? Did you run out of your prescription early?"

<Susan whirls around to glare her husband, knocking over an unkempt green fern in the process. Her eyes lock him in her smouldering gaze.>

"YOU! GET BACK INTO THE FUCKING KITCHEN YOU FUCKING PUSSY!"

...To Be Continued...

spock

Not going to get into the debate on regards to this women but about Garret and other people with money using Kick Starters...

Try to look at things from the entrepreneurial perspective. These projects not only require money but they require something more valuable...TIME from all those involved.

By launching a kickstarter you get a a chance to validate your idea in the real world before you actually commit real time to the project. Its basically a new way to apply the concept of a minimal viable product for those familiar with LEAN businesses philosophy.

Odds are those who have a problem with this are people who are not entrepreneurs, business owners or actual creators.

I actually thought the Veronica Mars fund was the beginning of the end, and lo and behold this woman uses it as an excuse for why hers is legit.
VM movie makes me conflicted. I get that it sets a questionable precedent, but would this ever get made otherwise? Warner's been sitting on it for six years, I doubt they had any plans.

I guess this is Kickstarters jumping the shark point. Cant get any worse than this right?

With Kickstarter giving the thumbs up to projects like these, we shall see.

This is the new economy. It's based on hits and noteriety. I really am past blaming the mother on this, because honestly, you cannot stop people throwing their money away.

The difference here is that it is occuring on KS, which is a bit of a darling in the indie-dev scene, and as such has a high-profile on GAF. There are dumb scam campaigns in every corner of the Internet, and it's stupid to waste your energy being mad.

By all means write to KS, research the mother's previous businesses, contact media etc. But if you can't do that without being personally invested to the point of seething anger, you gotta step back, because the Internet is full of this shit.

I'm more angry at the press than I am at her or Kickstarter. Despite everything I had some faith in that crowd. Disappointing as hell.

Septimius

I kinda want to make a 10k donation

then pull it at the final hour.

You do realise that this will only exacerbate the situation? It will add to the perceived validity of the whole thing, and while you might go "mohaha", as you pull it, the rest of the world will be a penny poorer. And this foul person will be some pennies richer.

"Keep Up" is a registered trademark:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4006:gikrrv.2.5

However I doubt she would face any trouble since she's not technically selling the merchandise.

Also the owners of the trademark probably don´t want to be called trolls or bullies in the press. :)

But once again this just goes to show Ms Wilson doesn´t care about any rules or guidelines. And from someone who negotiated a $100,000,000 deal about a domain name (not saying she got all the money, but at least she negotiated it) I don´t believe she just "forgot" to check if it was registered already.

Etzer

Honestly, the more I think about that mess the more I hate having a conscience. It seems so easy to rip off people on the internet but I'm absolutely unable too. Just thinking about something unethical or illegal I feel uneasy. Ugh, when you see idiots throwing money at a scam like that, just imagine what you could do cooking up a similar story with many other popular discrimination topics.

It just seems so awful that she will gets money from her little act while there are real people around the world being crushed by internet bullying and no one is helping them nor are they asking for money.

As sad as it it, this is exactly how I feel about it. It's just so frustrating. To see scammers like this woman come out of this with support of the press... ugh.

These people are given all the evidence: the dad's 'get my kids off of video games' project, the towel/cape project, the Incipio iPhone case project, the fake comments from a supposedly 7 year old Mackenzie in one of the failed Indiegogo projects (that have since been removed), Susan admitting to cybersquatting in a tweet to Oprah f*ing Winfrey, the Twitter spam to celebrities and women's rights groups, admitting that, millionaire or not, she didn't even need the money, and the fact that it's all for an invisible, voiceless girl that we haven't heard from at all. And yet, they refuse to acknowledge that the whole thing couldn't be shadier. "B-b-bbut she's empowered now! YOU ROCK, MACKENZIE!" That Kickstarter has turned a blind eye to this just makes it worse.

Zertez

Sounds about right, and people wonder why I'm a bitter person when this is the society we live in.
Im not bitter of society as a whole, but Im definitely cynical when people have their hands out asking for cash, especially when they say "trust me". Susan searched for the right buttons to push for awhile now and she finally hit pay dirt.

akira28

hi everyone linked here from the Kotaku interview. I stand by my statements. Contact my publicity manager for interviews as necessary. Standard fees apply.

Septimius

With Kickstarter giving the thumbs up to projects like these, we shall see.

I'm more angry at the press than I am at her or Kickstarter. Despite everything I had some faith in that crowd. Disappointing as hell.

I can't care how media perceives it, lacks to perceive it or anything. I don't care that people aren't able to see through this. What I care about is that Kickstarter lets this happen. They're the responsible part in this situation. They're an organization about enabling projects, and they let this one slide. Just like I except journalists to have checked their facts before publishing something, I trust Kickstarter to check the project. When they don't, I can no longer feel safe browsing projects on Kickstarter, and as such, I cannot use the platform, other than to track what others are backing.

Alucrid

Banned
You do realise that this will only exacerbate the situation? It will add to the perceived validity of the whole thing, and while you might go "mohaha", as you pull it, the rest of the world will be a penny poorer. And this foul person will be some pennies richer.

That's why I said I kinda want to, not that I did/will.

Stet

Banned
hi everyone linked here from the Kotaku interview. I stand by my statements. Contact my publicity manager for interviews as necessary. Standard fees apply.

I hope people get linked here from more articles, so that they can see that the opposition isn't a one-minded conglomeration of rape and death threats towards a 9-year-old girl but rather a diverse group of people who think that this campaign is wrong for a whole lot of different reasons.

Septimius

That's why I said I kinda want to, not that I did/will.

Yeah, not trying to put you up to having to said otherwise. But it's often important to talk people out of ideas that seem like a good idea initially.

It's like the tagline of The Prestige rings true to a very sad degree. People want to be fooled. There was this Facebook thing going. Some page was like "we're handing out 100 macbook pros to people like this status, like, comment, and you can win!"

Later, they posted a list of 100 people that 'won'. I checked the list with all the people that originally commented, and from 10-15 people I randomly picked from the list, none of them had commented on the original status. Phony names, I called them out, but people actually responded "JUST LET US BELIEVE WE CAN WIN. IS THAT SO BAD?!"

I hope people get linked here from more articles, so that they can see that the opposition isn't a one-minded conglomeration of rape and death threats towards a 9-year-old girl but rather a diverse group of people who think that this campaign is wrong for a whole lot of different reasons.

You mean to tell me we are not forming a lynch mob... Well I guess that is still on my bucket list.

Yeah, not trying to put you up to having to said otherwise. But it's often important to talk people out of ideas that seem like a good idea initially.

It's like the tagline of The Prestige rings true to a very sad degree. People want to be fooled. There was this Facebook thing going. Some page was like "we're handing out 100 macbook pros to people like this status, like, comment, and you can win!"

Later, they posted a list of 100 people that 'won'. I checked the list with all the people that originally commented, and from 10-15 people I randomly picked from the list, none of them had commented on the original status. Phony names, I called them out, but people actually responded "JUST LET US BELIEVE WE CAN WIN. IS THAT SO BAD?!"

Until it hits the media and until they are all over it. Then those same people will start to feel entitled to actually get their "prize"...

That's what's funny (or something) about this project, theres something for everyone to get offended by. So many things. Almost all of them with merit.

Top Bottom