• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto on next Zelda for Wii: Link could not have the sword anymore! And much more.

Josh7289

I was just about to post that image.

Looks like they made Link permanently right-handed for the Wii. :(

By the way, the source is Nintendo's press site.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
bhytre said:
119q7nt.jpg

Hello

Wow, that's very similar to Twilight Princess' art work. Doesn't seem as good as the other stuff, tho.

Thanks for posting it, however you got it.

jett

D-Member
:lol at Link being older. He looks the same as always.

EmCeeGramr said:
Link will kill Ganondorf, but then 15 years later it turns out
Ganondorf was only brain dead and has been revived through nanomachines
, and that
Zant was only faking being possessed by Majora
for purposes of fooling
The Mask Salesmen, an Illuminati group consisting of Error, the Old Man from Zelda 1, the Priest from LttP, and Link's uncle.
The actual
Mask Salesman
died way back in Majora's Mask, and is actually
an AI.
Also, Saria reveals that
she has cancer, and that sages can cure cancer, but she doesn't want to so she dies.

epic

Josh7289 said:
I was just about to post that image.

Looks like they made Link permanently right-handed for the Wii. :(

By the way, the source is Nintendo's press site.
I'm inclined to bet that they hadn't planned to release it, but after the blurry pic leaked, Nintendo just went "F*ck it - cat's out of the bag now. Let's throw the fanboys a bone".

Oblivion

Grimm Fandango said:
Queen of Fairies:

queenfairy.png

THAT'S the queen of the fairies? Man, it's been a while since I played WW. I don't remember her at all. :lol

jett

D-Member
Pretty obvious it's the same girl.

So we're getting a Wind Waker sequel with a grown up Link? I hope it's cel-shaded.

Josh7289

EmCeeGramr said:
Look at the ruffles on her cape. It looks exactly like the guard on the Master Sword.

Mastersword.jpg
Yes, it's very similar.

Actually, as soon as I read that Miyamoto said that Link wasn't holding a sword in this artwork, I immediately thought that the girl in the picture was going to act as his weapon/offensive, even before I had seen the artwork.

webrunner said:
And there's a crystal right between them
Ah yeah, good find. I'm inclined to say that seals the deal.

justchris

Joei said:
I'm surprised he said the game market is shrinking. I don't know the numbers exactly, but I'm pretty sure Wii has sold a lot of consoles. Also, I remember I read the 360 is around 25 million and that has an extremely high attach rate, and we just came off a generation with the PS2 which basically dominated the market and sold what, 100 million consoles? If anything, it's growing. Plus, I would think that a lot of people who were gaming when they were younger, such as myself, have grown up and have more disposable income regarding entertainment. I think he's just flat out wrong.

Well, when he says shrinking, hes talking about the number of players, not the number of individual games sold. Also, he's speaking from a Japanese perspective, where there was a very obvious shrinkage of the market before the DS was released. There was also a study done during the PS2 era that showed that the number of gaming households had not increased percentage wise since the days of the NES, that the only increase in gamers was a direct result of an increase in population (this was US only btw, nothing about Europe or Japan that I know of). I don't know that any new studies have been done.

Josh7289 said:
Yes, it's very similar.

Actually, as soon as I read that Miyamoto said that Link wasn't holding a sword in this artwork, I immediately thought that the girl in the picture was going to act as his weapon/offensive, even before I had seen the artwork.

Ah yeah, good find. I'm inclined to say that seals the deal.
And she has a sharp head.

I didn't believe it before, but that actually makes sense given the details of her clothes and them matching the Master Sword.

Who is she? She has the same face and haircut as the Queen of Fairies, but she's dressed like the Master Sword. Could this be the Master Sword origin story? Hmm.....

koam

Guys, he's already told you everything. Link is old in this game, there's no sword, his weapon of choice is his cane.

This is what the actual illustration was:
Sprite_hoy_quarlow.gif

Oblivion

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Could this be the Master Sword origin story? Hmm.....

Oh man I would love to see that. The only thing we've had as far as the background for the Master Sword was from LttP, where it stated that it was forged by the Hylians to combat the power of the triforce (which I always found strange cause how the heck would humans or even sorcerers be able to create something that could match the power of the gods(or goddesses).

You guys making it sound like "The Master Sword" is alive. Could you imagine a talking sword like from the movie Who frames Roger Rabbit where bob hoskins holds that in Toon Town. That wouldn't fit in Zelda's universe imo.

She does bear resemblance of the queen fairy from the The Wind Waker. I hope Nintendo isn't going the same route like they did with Midna.

Sweet, hopefully they keep the art direction similar to TP. Hopefully whoever that girl is, she's just as awesome, if not more so, than Midna.

Oblivion

You know, if you look carefully, the figure on the right almost looks like Darkseid from DC comics. :O

OMG Link looks like a senior citizen. I see his five oclock shadow hasn't formed yet.

I think the Great Fairy Sword comes in to play some where in this game, because the woman looks like the Great Fairy as many said.

Oblivion said:
Oh man I would love to see that. The only thing we've had as far as the background for the Master Sword was from LttP, where it stated that it was forged by the Hylians to combat the power of the triforce (which I always found strange cause how the heck would humans or even sorcerers be able to create something that could match the power of the gods(or goddesses).
Unless the Master Sword itself were a manifestation of the gods (i.e. the Queen of Fairies)...

Grimm Fandango said:
IIRC this was given in The Minish Cap?
Different sword. TMC introduced the Four Sword.

Oblivion

Guybrush Threepwood said:
[IM]http://xs940.xs.to/xs940/09235/h788.png[/IMG]

[IM]http://xs940.xs.to/xs90/09235/o771.png[/IMG]

[IMGhttp://xs940.xs.to/xs940/0923/o453.png[/IMG]

If it's cel shaded, that shouldn't be a problem.

http://xs940.xs.to/xs940/09235/h788.png[/IMG

[IMG]http://xs940.xs.to/xs940/09235/o771.png[/IMG

[IMG]http://xs940.xs.to/xs940/09235/o453.png[/IMG[/QUOTE]
I didn't say character designs, though those were some of the weaker ones.

Okay guys, art direction != character designs. Also, those are lesser characters. The main characters looked nice and you know it.

jvalioli said:
I can't see the age difference between that Link and the TP Link.
IMO this Link looks 20-21 where as TP Link looks 16-18.

So like Miyamoto said, he is alil older/ closer to adult hood than the past Links from the looks of it.

Red

Link does look older here than in TP. Face is less round and he appears to be a bit taller.

Interested in the no sword thing. Can remember virtually zero characters from Wind Waker, so this great fairy stuff is new to me.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Don't do it! There's already two threads and I'm waiting for one of the mods to decide what happens here.
I still don't think this thread should have been made . . . hope they just up-date the pic thread with this interview and pic. >_>

I hope they bring in some good writers for this game.

Twilight Princess felt like they were forcing an "epic" story.
True and they didn't follow through with it. They seem to be caught between having an "epic" story and a more minimalistic one. Not to mention, the only developed character was Midna.

Top Bottom