• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto on next Zelda for Wii: Link could not have the sword anymore! And much more.

jvalioli

Black-Wind said:
IMO this Link looks 20-21 where as TP Link looks 16-18.

So like Miyamoto said, he is alil older/ closer to adult hood than the past Links from the looks of it.
I always thought that between the in-game models and the art for TP, the in-game model made Link look about 16-18 but the art made him look a little older. But since Miyamoto already commented on his age it's no biggie. Anyway, I have no clue how journalists managed to see with such certainty that he was older as soon as they saw this. Made us all think that he was going to be noticeably(not old man Link, but more like 25-35) older too. : (

Red

jvalioli said:
I always thought that between the in-game models and the art for TP, the in-game model made Link look about 16-18 but the art made him look a little older. But since Miyamoto already commented on his age it's no biggie. Anyway, I have no clue how journalists managed to see with such certainty that he was older as soon as they saw this. Made us all think that he was going to be noticeably(not old man Link, but more like 25-35) older too. : (
Too much to hope for I suppose :(

womp

viciouskillersquirrel said:
You missed, like the whole last page, didn't you?

Sorry, I don't have all day to read 205 posts in a single thread so I obviously did miss something.

:p

Lesath

Oh noes, ugly people? They didn't have those in LttP, OoT, MM, or WW! TP's art style is fine.

Also, Link in that painting is at least a head taller than the TP Link, as far as proportions go.

So I'm guessing that I'm still alone in thinking that the player will wield the sword in this game (the sword being the girl) and not Link? They've been saying for forever that this game is going to be a big departure, and that the want the player to experience the adventure with Link (or something like that). Is it really that far-fetched?

Lesath said:
Also, Link in that painting is at least a head taller than the TP Link, as far as proportions go.
Yep. I was suprised at how stocky TP Link was.

I'd like to petition the mods for a thread title change to reflect this new discussion.

bhytre said:
119q7nt.jpg

Hello

This looks legit. Not like a more finished concept but an early painting like Miyamoto said. Yeah, he DOES look older. Maybe by a few years.

Grimm Fandango said:
Queen of Fairies:

queenfairy.png

Just so it's on the same page

webrunner

108fw4y.jpg

Compare:
- The pattern on her legs, to the pattern on the hilt (both a light-on-dark blue crosshatch)
- the gold lines on the sword, to the gold lines on her stomach
- her belt to where the hilt meets the guard on the sword

Damn Link is tall as FUCK in that painting.

And the girl looking so similar to the master sword brings so many different possibilities to my mind :D :D :D .

tabsina

Saint Gregory said:
So I'm guessing that I'm still alone in thinking that the player will wield the sword in this game (the sword being the girl) and not Link? They've been saying for forever that this game is going to be a big departure, and that the want the player to experience the adventure with Link (or something like that). Is it really that far-fetched?

my only problem is - what would Link be doing while the player is controlling the sword.. standing around?

rhino4evr said:
so..the girl is a living sword..interesting..

How did this leak?

Does this count as an announcement?
Nintendo's press site "leaked" the picture. I think this is as close to an announcement as we're going to get until a trailer of some sort is released.

Remember, Twilight Princess' name wasn't in the original trailer, so don't get too excited thinking that this is a Zelda 1 remake or anything like that.

rhino4evr

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Nintendo's press site "leaked" the picture. I think this is as close to an announcement as we're going to get until a trailer of some sort is released.

Remember, Twilight Princess' name wasn't in the original trailer.

LOL, I just stumbled into this topic and all the sudden there is a new Zelda game announced. Someone should change the topic name..to first concept artwork for Zelda Wii.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The artwork is nice but older Link didn't deliver to me, he's just taller. Damn you IGN, I had that shit completely blown out of proportion in my head and was expecting a Manly!Link with at least a tank top.

Fuu said:
The artwork is nice but older Link didn't deliver to me, he's just taller. Damn you IGN, I had that shit completely blown out of proportion in my head and was expecting a Manly!Link with at least a tank top.
I wanted bearded middle age Link. >:|
PHALESTINE said:
Glad they decided to show it, I am HYPED. hmm, I dunno why, but I get a feeling they are puling a co-op thing here (sort of like re5 if you will).
Ew, I hope not.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Glad they decided to show it, I am HYPED. hmm, I dunno why, but I get a feeling they are puling a co-op thing here (sort of like re5 if you will).

PHALESTINE said:
Co-op Zelda would be amazing.
Speaking of that, they really need to put Four Swords Adventures on WiiWare for some crazy Wii/DS connectivity...

comedy bomb said:
I think Nintendo underestimated the GAF detectives. :lol
Pfff! GAF detectives have got nothing on the Zelda theorist guys you might find on your typical Zelda fansite forum. Those guys take tiny inscrutible details and come to conclusions that would blow your mind.

Fuu

comedy bomb said:
I know.

I'm not sure they expected people to realize that the girl is the sword.
Sorry, thought you were talking about the artwork surfacing.

tabsina said:
my only problem is - what would Link be doing while the player is controlling the sword.. standing around?
I'm just speculating like everyone else but that would depend on whether the concept would be that the sword is independant or that Link somehow provides some sort of power to command it. If it's the former then Link would be standing around looking stupid (as my idea would then be) but if it's the latter they could easily have him waving his hands or looking involved in the fight somehow while you would really be in control.

The only reason I've wondered about this is because regardless what Miyamoto says I'm convinced that they've built this game around M+ but at the same time I can't figure out what benefit there would be to it unless the game is played in first person or the sword is disembodied. It's got to be one or the other cause if they can figure out a way to make third person M+-controlled swordplay feel right then - wow, I'll never question them again.

pulga

Banned
Epic letdown for me. Was expecting a different kind of Link.. this just looks like TP Link hit puberty and had a growth spurt.

Interesting that Nintendo would just throw this up on the press site. Here's what the caption on it reads:

"Legendary Nintendo video game designer Shigeru Miyamoto revealed this concept artwork for a new Legend of Zelda game planned for the Wii console on June 2 during the E3 Expo in Los Angeles."

rhino4evr

comedy bomb said:
I know.

Really, seemed obvious to me..as soon as I saw the photo I thought she kind of looked like a sword. The fact that link doesn't have a sword..the girl is blue..and has that crystal is a dead give away.

Fuu

pulga said:
Interesting that Nintendo would just throw this up on the press site. Here's what the caption on it reads:

"Legendary Nintendo video game designer Shigeru Miyamoto revealed this concept artwork for a new Legend of Zelda game planned for the Wii console on June 2 during the E3 Expo in Los Angeles."
All according to keikaku.

comedy bomb said:
I know.

I think that was the point.

Even Zelda U nerds saw this and thought "Fairy/ MS". It was damn near a mirror of gaf.
0_o

Said this before but maybe the MS plays as a character you can control? Like in ST with that armor dude.

Saint Gregory said:
I'm just speculating like everyone else but that would depend on whether the concept would be that the sword is independant or that Link somehow provides some sort of power to command it. If it's the former then Link would be standing around looking stupid (as my idea would then be) but if it's the latter they could easily have him waving his hands or looking involved in the fight somehow while you would really be in control.

I dunno...seems like it'd be easier for him to be holding the sort and swinging it, then dictating a swing with his hands in the exact same manner he would if he were holding the sword...

Top Bottom