• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modders add ultrawide resolutions to Wii U emulation (21:9 BotW)

jediyoshi

bIw9vWj.jpg

HpT4ttQ.jpg

uBPjDIm.jpg

This has technically been possible for a while since these are edits to memory, but the newest version of Cemu has a built in memory scanner making it more simple to do. The HUD still stretches at its most basic, but something interesting over widescreen hacks in PS2/GC games is that I haven't seen any occlusion culling at all in any games I've tested, meaning you can get away with whatever aspect ratio you want.

Video:
Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario 3D World
Super Smash Bros.
DKC Tropical Freeze
The Wind Waker HD

Reddit thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/cemu/comments/6drjb0/guide_to_play_your_cemu_games_in_ultrawide_219_or/

red731

Sweet baby Jesus!

I need to check that thread out, but stretching the game like that - doesn't it produce some bugged out cinematics or such? Since it wasn't intended for aspect ratio?

Stopdoor

Looking at something like DKCTF makes me question why we haven't seen an ultra-wide 2D Sonic game. Like man, you'd think that'd work a lot more intuitively. If only Sonic Mania actually took advantage of HD Resolution.

Are we at the point where a CEMU emulated BotW can potentially run and look better than the Switch version? Either way, very impressive.

MUnited83

For you.
that's nice, but they should focus on emulation accuracy, its years behind, so bad.

Years behind what? The emulator is not even 2 years old yet, it's already ridiculously accurate for how young it is.
Are we at the point where a CEMU emulated BotW runs and looks better than the Switch version? Either way, very impressive.

It has looked better for a while now. And I believe that if you have a strong enough system it runs better too.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
21:9 is a magical aspect ratio.

jediyoshi

zYR1Aou.jpg

13SKN6X.jpg

svsOb5A.jpg

6edRmZF.jpg

that's nice, but they should focus on emulation accuracy, its years behind, so bad.

Please tell me your only point of reference is literally the Wii U and not the actual emulation scene.

Even at crazy resolutions Botw looks kinda fuzzy. How?

BotW and some other Nintendo games employ some weird post processing anti aliasing. It can be removed but the newest version of Cemu has modified how those mods have worked and I haven't updated the fixes.

nynt9

Blame the Wii U version. The Switch as a better internal resolution.

What? Emulation lets you change the internal rendering resolution. That's the point. You keep talking about emulation accuracy, but I doubt you know what you're talking about when you say this.

MUnited83

For you.
Even at crazy resolutions Botw looks kinda fuzzy. How?
InGame AA is terrible for anything that isn't the original resolution. There's a fix out there that removes it but I don't know if it has been updated for the newest version of CEMU.
Blame the Wii U version. The Switch as a better internal resolution.
You can literally change the resolution of the game on CEMU, that has nothing to do with this.

Looks a bit stretched, honestly.
Aside from UI elements, not really.

DooMAGE

You keep talking about emulation accuracy, but I doubt you know what you're talking about when you say this.

You know that even the SNES emulation for example there is only one emulator that has a perfect accuracy of how the original machine works, right?

You can bump the resolution to the sky and still the accuracy of how the game works is still lacking in the current version of CEMU. Everything is running with hacks and brute force like the ZSnes era.

jediyoshi

You know that even the SNES emulation for example there is only one emulator that has a perfect accuracy of how the original machine works, right?

You're making a case for why Wii U emulation is so far ahead. Did you know Dolphin only reached full GC compatibility recently? Look at PS3/X360 emulation and then reevaluate them relatively :D

DooMAGE

You're making a case for why Wii U emulation is so far ahead. Did you know Dolphin only reached full GC compatibility recently? Look at PS3/X360 emulation and then reevaluate them relatively :D

Gezz, compatibility is not the only factor that defines a perfect emulation accuracy -___-

http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/Emulation_Accuracy

You may be shocked that there is not that much of video game emulators with good accuracy.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011...-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

MUnited83

For you.

You can bump the resolution to the sky and still the accuracy of how the game works is still lacking in the current version of CEMU. Everything is running with hacks and brute force like the ZSnes era.

Some people keep saying this but they have no actual evidence whatsoever that is actually "everything is running with hacks". It's always amusing to see, it's a line that that got popular when people were complaining about it being closed source but I have never seen any proof whatsoever.

Either way, it's a emulator that is not even 2 years old and has had an amazing improvement across it, makes a crapload of games perfectly playable in much less time than any other recent emulators.

nynt9

Gezz, compatibility is not the only factor that defines a perfect emulation accuracy -___-

You may be shocked that there is not that much of video game emulators with good accuracy.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011...-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

Since pretty much every emulator is inaccurate, I don't see why you're complaining about CEMU inaccuracy in particular. It's just derailing the thread. Take it to the CEMU thread if you wanna whine about that. This thread is for discussing widescreen in CEMU. It's inherently not accurate to how the system being emulated runs.

jediyoshi

Was that supposed to explain how

it's years behind yet, or did you need to keep moving the goal posts? [;

MUnited83

For you.
Since pretty much every emulator is inaccurate, I don't see why you're complaining about CEMU inaccuracy in particular. It's just derailing the thread. Take it to the CEMU thread if you wanna whine about that. This thread is for discussing widescreen in CEMU. It's inherently not accurate to how the system being emulated runs.

They have a history of downplaying Cemu. It's kind of predictable at this point, and it doesn't help that they're utterly clueless.

Top Bottom