• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modders add ultrawide resolutions to Wii U emulation (21:9 BotW)

This is impressive as fuck. But it's also coming from a dev team making about 34k/month on Patreon, so this already has a much bigger incentive than most emulators...

FTF

O_0 wow...those BotW screens and video look amazing. Now I want to put in another 120 hours in 21:9 mode.

BigEmil

Speaking of accuracy anyone tested audio accuracy? From hearing from those videos and playing the original version doesn't sound as good, maybe I'll test it when I get home in a week

DONKEY KONG FUCK YEAH

one of my buddies just brought that game up to me the other day. ultrawide time!

I'm still disappointed there's no Gamepad audio emulation in CEMU, though. Can't play Pikmin 3 with the best possible control scheme.

This will single-handedly sell millions of Wii U BotW copies.

Perhaps tens of millions

tenor.gif

Shoyz

I was originally a supporter of 16:10 and scoffed at the idea of trading off /more/ vertical space by going ultrawide; until I realized that I could just go bigger and get a screen as tall as my 16:10; just wider. And so I did, and it's awesome.

Definitely recommend a 21:9 monitor for everyone's next monitor purchase. Especially a high 100+hz one. Movies are amazing especially.

GamerJM

Banned
Okay this shit is glorious.

What do I have to do to get my WiiU games playing on my PC? Just stick em in the DVD drive?

No, you need to softmod your Wii U so you can dump the game ISOs iirc. The Wii U discs are some kind of proprietary kind of disc that isn't compatible with DVD drives.

Scorpio supports ultrawide resolutions?

I might have been getting ahead of myself in stating outright that it will. I thought I had heard that somewhere but I can't find any supporting information. Some of what I've heard about Scorpio has me feeling like that wouldn't be too much of a stretch though

Dynomutt

Curious why the mid gen refresh of consoles has not allowed variable resolutions to include UW. I love this aspect ratio. Scorpio is admittedly getting close with Freesync support.

I might have been getting ahead of myself in stating outright that it will. I thought I had heard that somewhere but I can't find any supporting information. Some of what I've heard about Scorpio has me feeling like that wouldn't be too much of a stretch though

So you were wrong. But poor MS though, leave them alone.

The Lamp

There's not really a straight answer in this thread. Is BotW fully and smoothly playable on CEMU or not? Not just the plateau, I mean the whole game?

MTC100

Banned
Holy crap BotW looks perfect!

Is there any major glitch?

There's not really a straight answer in this thread. Is BotW fully and smoothly playable on CEMU or not? Not just the plateau, I mean the whole game?

The game still needs a very powerful machine(mainly a very strong single core cpu performance) to maintain 30FPS from what I've heard plus there are graphical glitches and artifacts happening here and there from what I've seen also don't expect 30fps at all times even with insane rigs.

MUnited83

For you.
You really have no idea what you are talking about, do you?

The only thing he has done in this thread has been trying to school people on the basics of emulation and avoiding very simple questions with condescending "you just don't know anything about emulation" posts lol

MTC100

Banned
Blame the Wii U version. The Switch as a better internal resolution.

I don't think that's how it works, Cemu takes the games "information" and increases the internal resolution up to 4k or more if you like and then downsamples it to 1080p or whatever your resolution is. The WiiU and Switch version use the same assets and textures so there is no real difference besides performance -and the performance is up to how powerful your PC is in case of Cemu(or how far the developers of Cemu can optimize it).

The game still needs a very powerful machine(mainly a very strong single core cpu performance) to maintain 30FPS from what I've heard plus there are graphical glitches and artifacts happening here and there from what I've seen also don't expect 30fps at all times even with insane rigs.

Well, it's not like the game is able to maintain 30fps on WiiU/Switch anyway.

But yeah, currently BotW still needs more optimizations from CEMU. I've heard the game is now almost glitches free in the new 1.8.0 version.

Yeah.... This is why I'm waiting for Cemu instead of playing BOTW (which I own) on the Switch (that I also own). Using consoles at this point is an inconvenience when I have a system that is exponentially powerful sitting right next to it.

I already showed examples and articles, take your time to read before claiming I'm just "downplaying" something.

Serious question because I'm really confused.

I'm pretty savvy with emulators and the mechanics of them. While accuracy is nice for preservation the goal of an emulator is to play games on something other than the original device. Often at higher resolutions, with better textures and post processing and other additional features.

Given that a game like Mario Kart 8 is perfectly playable at 21:9 rendering at up to 10K internally with higher resolution shadows, AA and a reshade preset to pop colours and add things like DoF and post processing on an entirely configurable basis at 60fps without issue. Given that that is true, What part does "accuracy" have in this conversation.

How would the processes being performed by CEMU improve what is already a flawless experience? It might be neater from a code stand point but it's likely going to require even more processing power and the upside is what? The game plays exactly as it does now or worse?

It seems really dumb to be bringing up shit like this when the end result currently is jawdropping.

RS4-

Sweet baby Jesus!

I need to check that thread out, but stretching the game like that - doesn't it produce some bugged out cinematics or such? Since it wasn't intended for aspect ratio?

Cutscenes and what not are probably still 16:9 or whatever the ar is originally.

So black bars.

Top Bottom