• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ModNation Racers |OT| Loading, Moaning And Creating Vinyl Clothing

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
hylian_pirate said:
I heard that the online is region locked in this game. Does this mean that I can't browse for US tracks and mods with a EU copy?

You can.

What you can't is playing with US people.

God I'm reminded why I hate kart racers so much, maintaining a steady lead the whole race and BAM every fucking AI racer uses their weapons on you.

Fuck that noise.

Edgeward

TTP said:
You can.

Is that going to change or is it staying that way? And I know it's pretty early but they haven't started deleting copyrighted material yet have they?

Glix

Love this game. The shield is perfect.

If it was too easy to use, it would render weapons useless. It takes skill to build your meter and use it correctly.

I got through the first 2 leagues yesterday, the AI is TOUGH, but not rubberband or cheap. They play like a skilled human would.

Did two XP races. Fun as hell.

Just finished the main character from Persona 3. Still getting used to all of the tools; I'm sure this could be made much better.

ModNationRacers_2.jpg

Crisis

Banned
Okay. After playing the game last night this is what I think of the game:

The gameplay itself is really fun. I mean sincerely it is. They have got to drastically cut down the amount of times you can get knocked off the track on the original levels. It's not even fair. The AI is hyper vicious. They need to be toned down when playing online. It's worse online than it is offline for some reason. Some of the powerups are too overpowered at early stages. I understand and encourage them to be more powerful as they level up because that makes sense but it shouldn't be possible to render me completely unable to control my vehicle at the first level.

Purist

Neo Member
The load times aren't even as bad as everyone made it sound...I've waited almost as long with other online games. It seems to load the most the first time you enter the ModSpot, but then bouncing back and forth between races and ModSpot is about 30 seconds. The other thing is that it downloads mods in 1 second, and tracks in about 3 seconds. I was pretty shocked by this. It was nice to see I could rack up on downloaded tracks at that speed, especially on launch day.

Already there is a ton of stuff to grab, with some really ridiculous island-hopping tracks with lots of take-off ramps and great looking mods. Most importantly though, the racing itself is smooth, the drifting is ace, and the weapons are quite strategic, adding an extra layer to kart formula.

It is a great purchase.

So far my biggest complaint is that too many of the weapons are homing "fire and forget" attacks. I would have liked to see a little more creativity with the weapons aside from "build up to level 3, then press square." Still need to spend more time with it though so maybe there is more to the weapons than I'm currently seeing.

No45

TTP said:
It's bad, but really not that bad. I still hope they fix it, but having played the game a lot for the last couple of days I have to say I'm not as much bothered by it as I assumed I would have.

It's odd, I know. I'm sure other people agree.
Was playing this last night and I felt exactly the same. I think I know why though - the times when you're racing are so fucking intense it's actually quite pleasant to have a moment to catch your breath!

MisterAnderson said:
So far my biggest complaint is that too many of the weapons are homing "fire and forget" attacks. I would have liked to see a little more creativity with the weapons aside from "build up to level 3, then press square." Still need to spend more time with it though so maybe there is more to the weapons than I'm currently seeing.
The key I think to being effective with the weapons is to not telegraph them. If you can let them fly from a short distance you don't give the person in front the opportunity to react.

And from the defensive point of view it's critical to get the timing down on the shields. Too early and you either waste valuable meter or run out before the attack hits, too late and you're screwed anyway. Once you get a feel for the weapons (Some take longer to hit) then I think it's possible to negate pretty much everything.

You are going to get nailed every now and again though, it would be dull if it was too easy.

I'm still amazed at how much depth there is in this game, and the track designs as you progress through the career are fantastic. And I have a smile on my face all of the time that Biff and Gary are on screen. ^_^

expy

Banned
Some of the challenges are close to impossible, lol. Well, maybe not impossible, but a heck of a tough time trying to get even CLOSE to completing some of the challenge requisites AND finishing 1st.

rc213

Just got this thanks to a fellow CAG member who picked it up at Hastings for $39.99. Gonna play this sucker in a few. :D

Glix

The gas being on R2 doesn't bother me, per se, but I found my hand cramping up after about 90 minutes playing this baby. Like, I was a claw monster or something.

Any advice? Does anyone do any kind of hand stretching before they play certain games? What do Monster Hunter PSP players do?

Wow, this whole post is pretty absurd. But I mean it, my hand was pretty fucked up.

btkadams

Square Triangle said:
God I'm reminded why I hate kart racers so much, maintaining a steady lead the whole race and BAM every fucking AI racer uses their weapons on you.

Fuck that noise.
hmm? hold square and you can fire your weapons behind you. when im in the lead i like to keep a lot of boost too so that if you get a warning of incoming weapon attack you can put up a shield with pressing O.

Takao

Banned
MarshMellow96 said:
Is in the ball park or across the road?

From what I can tell, you can't really do anything unique like creating designs on shirts, or something. I tried making a Krillin from DragonBall, but I wasn't able to do the Turtle Symbol, wrist bands, or the insense burns on his forehead. It's very much "here's a bunch of different pieces, go make stuff with it".

I made a pretty decent Ash Ketchum though. He is lacking the logo on his cap, and his shirt doesn't 100% match the colours. Oh well.

jett

D-Member
TTP said:
You can.

Seriously, what's the deal with this crap? What's the reasoning? I hope this isn't some widespread mandate Sony is imposing in all their games.

btkadams

jett said:
Seriously, what's the deal with this crap? What's the reasoning? I hope this isn't some widespread mandate Sony is imposing in all their games.
maybe there would be a lot of lag with how many players there are.

i don't understand why people are so pissed about this?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
jett said:

They say they did this to assure smooth online experience but will look into expanding it to WW if community so desires.

You usual bullshit basically.

Here the official statement

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...or-ps3-launched-and-unwrapped/#comment-407060

For the lazy

Hey Cirran. You get the best online performance when you race against other players in your same region. This was important to us, to provide as good a race experience as possible. This is the way it will be but there is a possibility we could look into this for the future if that’s what the community wants.

Takao said:
From what I can tell, you can't really do anything unique like creating designs on shirts, or something. I tried making a Krillin from DragonBall, but I wasn't able to do the Turtle Symbol, wrist bands, or the insense burns on his forehead. It's very much "here's a bunch of different pieces, go make stuff with it".

I made a pretty decent Ash Ketchum though. He is lacking the logo on his cap, and his shirt doesn't 100% match the colours. Oh well.

This is pretty disappointing tbh. I was hoping for something at least a little similar to LBP PSP with regard to creativity..

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
expy said:
HELLO THERE!!!

Haha. I was just coming on to say 'If whoever made Translator Guy is reading this, god bless you.' You'll be pleased to know he just beat Kanye West, Colonel Sanders and Michael Jackson, the King Of Pop.

There are so many great Gaga outfit reconstruction mods that we're already having four-player INSIDE GAGA'S HEAD races.

Takao

Banned
MarshMellow96 said:
This is pretty disappointing tbh. I was hoping for something at least a little similar to LBP PSP with regard to creativity..

People are making nice things with the game's own tools. But they're not like what the PS3 version has put out in terms of detailing the characters.

Seems online is geo-locked for the PSP as well, as it seems only 1 to 3 matches can be found by me online at any given moment.

RagnarokX

XP races are working better now. Still a little buggy, but at least you can find races.

Saw this Kirby in the modspot last night.
ModNationRacersa.jpg

Doel

Probably posted already but I can't ****ing believe that we can't play an XP race with friends. Motorstorm Pacific Rift did this 2 years ago. One of my friends isn't even getting it now. This is a horrible omission.

RagnarokX

Doel said:
Probably posted already but I can't ****ing believe that we can't play an XP race with friends. Motorstorm Pacific Rift did this 2 years ago. One of my friends isn't even getting it now. This is a horrible omission.
Well, it sorta makes sense. There is nothing stopping you from playing casual races with friends that use all of the same settings and tracks as an XP race. Since XP races are ranked and set to official standards, friends could easily unfairly boost their ranks by agreeing to specific outcomes.

Doel

RagnarokX said:
Well, it sorta makes sense. There is nothing stopping you from playing casual races with friends that use all of the same settings and tracks as an XP race. Since XP races are ranked and set to official standards, friends could easily unfairly boost their ranks by agreeing to specific outcomes.
But honestly, who cares if other people rank up? I don't. I want to be able to play with a couple of my friends online while building my XP up and unlocking trophies and items. Motorstorm PR did this 2 years ago without any complaints.

Snipes424

So I've seen many outlets talking about the terrible load times, but after getting the game today, they really don't seem that bad. Maybe it's because of my 7200 rpm hard drive, but I still have yet to have a load time over 10 seconds, where I've heard claims of 1-2 minutes.

But I'm having a blast with the game, huge improvement over the beta.

Doel said:

I thought the downside to XP races was you cant race on custom tracks?

sw1tch

Anyone know when the patch to fix the loading is coming out? I didn't touch the game again for that reason alone, playing RDR in the meantime.

Doel

Dedication Through Light said:
I thought the downside to XP races was you cant race on custom tracks?
That at least I understand because everyone you play with would have to have the custom track, so it would come with its own set of issues trying to match players with it's existing system (as it doesn't use a classic lobby setup with a list of games).

Christ. Play the fucking game. What are you gonna do, snub your friends because playing with them won't raise some arbitrary epeen number?

Trophies, achievement and online xp systems have all but ruined this gen :/

Dizzle24

Here are my creations: :lol :lol
"Underpants Killer"
fcjg4z.jpg

"Serious Panda"
10da16c.jpg

"Explodey"
2ilg403.jpg

"Corroded Candycane"
2rr5ilv.jpg

Haven't taken pics of the karts, but I made some to match the characters.

Dizzle24

Thanks. That's all I could come up with; I lack the imagination and skill to match some of the more awesome stuff I've seen out there.

I downloaded a few from others: Space Ghost, Jigsaw Doll, Bender. There's a lot of great mods out there.

Top Bottom