• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith is helping out on the Legend of Zelda:BOTW

Anth0ny

Not surprised at all. They helped with SS, of course they're going to help with this massive overworld having mother fucker.

Effect

Wasn't this already known?

It was assumed for the most part. Especially after Xenoblade Chronicles X came out. That they were either directly working on it or they were supplying the engine and tech to make the game possible once it was said Zelda was going to be an open world game. Monolith Soft is the only team outside of the Zelda team within Nintendo to attempt to do something like that. Monolith Soft proved themselves the better studio/team when they released Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii and the Zelda team released Skyward Sword. Both great games but XC blows away Skyward Sword.

I don't doubt that the tech behind Breath of the Wild is the same stuff that's running XCX. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't.

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends
Mm, I get high with a little help from my friends
Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends

mrmickfran

It just sort of sucks that we'll have to wait even longer for Takahashi's next game.

It's a bitter pill to swallow, but I'll live through it.

Zelda team should add some Sawano tracks to make it better =D.

7DTly.gif

Ridley327

This doesn't mean it's going to play like X

Yeah, it's just a reference to the fact that XCX does a lot of fantastic things with its tech that would make that expertise very valuable for a project like this, especially with how seamless the world flows once the initial boot is complete. There's really nothing else on the Wii U like it, until this game releases.

skypunch

Banned
It was assumed for the most part. Especially after Xenoblade Chronicles X came out. That they were either directly working on it or they were supplying the engine and tech to make the game possible once it was said Zelda was going to be an open world game. Monolith Soft is the only team outside of the Zelda team within Nintendo to attempt to do something like that. Monolith Soft proved themselves the better studio/team when they released Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii and the Zelda team released Skyward Sword. Both great games but XC blows away Skyward Sword.

Absolutely agree. Xenoblade ruined SS.

I don't think Monliths next game will take a long time. How long did it take from Xenoblade Chronicles to Xenoblade Chronicles X? Was it 6-7 years?

You have to remember it was their first HD game and a HUGE one at that. They've got the expertise now and I think after XCX, Takahashi has a clear vision from the feedback of XCX of what he wants.

They should let Monolith design the entire game. The less involved Aonuma and Miyamoto are the better.

All Nintendo does is ruin their own games and franchises with ancient hacks, right? They should outsource them all to Mark Cerny & the team from Knack.

duckroll

They should let Monolith design the entire game. The less involved Aonuma and Miyamoto are the better.

Please, no. As a huge fan of the Zelda franchise since the first game, and a huge fan of "Monolithsoft" since Xenogears, that's not something I feel would be a good fit at all.

rjinaz

this was very obvious to me. They are masters at open world games. X was really something, the world that is. Xenoblade was perhaps the most unique world I have ever played in a game.

Monolith did a terrible job with a slient protagonist. I don't think they can capture Zelda charm even if like their games.

Besides the problems I tend to have with Zelda games are gameplay reasons. I always find myself enjoying the world and story.

you know most of the game's design choices are being spearheaded by new, young, don't-give-a-fuck-about-tradition team members, right

like Aonuma and Fujibayashi are producing and directing respectively but Aonuma's been rather clear this E3 in numerous interviews that the new kids are really steering this ship. you have nothing to worry about. and Miyamoto is nowhere near this game.

Calvero

Banned
"It's The Legend of Zelda and it's really rad!
Those creatures from Ganon are pretty bad!
Octoroks, tektites and leevers too,
But with your help, our hero pulls through!
Yeah, Go Link, Yeah, Get Zelda!
Wikki Wikki Wick!"

lame gag
(Today, 02:19 PM)

i like it

wrowa

100 people from Monolith? Isn't that pretty much their entire headcount?

Which Monolith, though?

One of them is an art asset house that helps on almost every Nintendo game.

Both.

“Yes they are involved in this Zelda. People from Tokyo and Kyoto are working together on this. There is a team of over 100 [from Monolith] helping work on this project, and their work has really been helpful.”

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So that's why all the ancient advanced tech is in the game

Chaos17

Wasn't this already known?

In fact, at that time, Monolith wasn't yet "hired" it seems.
Last year while speaking with Xenoblade Chronicles X’s directors Tetsuya Takahashi and Genki Yokota we learned that the team at Monolith was interested in taking its expertise with open world games and helping develop the next Zelda. This didn’t seem too unreasonable since the team at Monolith had previously worked on Skyward Sword as well. This year we learned that Monolith would continue this tradition by helping shape The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...n-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild.aspx

So journalist wante dto confirmed that infos and Myamoto confirmed it.
Yes, that wasn't a really usefull question to ask, imo...

TheJoRu

So I guess these "younger developers" who were questioning the traditions of Zelda were Monolith Soft employees.

Because Nintendo EPD doesn't employ younger developers, or what are you saying here?

Regardless, do you really think Monolith was involved in early 2013 when Aonuma was already talking publically about breaking down the conventions of Zelda?

TheMoon

Pretty sure I'm gonna be renting zelda now, just in case.

Xenoblade X was one of the least enjoyable games I've played on my wii u

your logic makes no sense. your enjoyment of xenoblade x has nothing to do with this. they're not designing the game, they're programming and art support.

So I guess these "younger developers" who were questioning the traditions of Zelda were Monolith Soft employees.

no.

So that's why all the ancient advanced tech is in the game

no.

Zelda team should add some Sawano tracks to make it better =D.

Whoever did the original Xenoblade music tho. Played that right after Skyward Sword, and Couldn't get over how much better the music was. Though, the BotW's music seems really good already.

ViciousDS

Banned
Xenoblades world was fantastic. That was......about it. I didn't enjoy exploring it. Hated the way they designed it with zones and shit......got really boring. As long as monolith doesn't influence the game design of Zelda I'll be happy.

Xenoblade X was my biggest disappointment this gen

Not surprising. I have a conspiracy theory that maybe Xenoblade X was so allowed to be so big because Nintendo wanted to prototype some tech for Zelda.

Whoever did the original Xenoblade music tho. Played that right after Skyward Sword, and Couldn't get over how much better the music was. Though, the BotW's music seems really good already.
ACE+ and Shimomura (who is always amazing) did the original Xenoblade's amazing OST.

Zelda: BotW's OST, what we've heard of it anyway, is giving me some serious Fire Emblem vibes. I'm not sure if that's coincidence, or if they're using some of the same composers... But I would be thrilled, the recent Fire Emblem OSTs (in particular Awakening's) have been stellar.

duckroll

100 people from Monolith? Isn't that pretty much their entire headcount?

123 as of two years ago. They've been aggressively hiring since then for both studios, so it might be larger now. They haven't updated the stats on the company page for a while now. 150+ would not be surprising. So having about 100 working as support on assets and polish of a full production project like Zelda, and 50+ doing pre-production or early production on the next projects seems reasonable.

Mediking

Takahashi is more than capable of writing a well put together story. Not that Monolith would be doing any of the story direction in a Zelda game to begin with.

I like Takahashi. I'm just saying Xeno3's new main avatar is hopefully more fluid in movement and isn't stiff in the story.

TheMoon

Xenoblades world was fantastic. That was......about it. I didn't enjoy exploring it. Hated the way they designed it with zones and shit......got really boring. As long as monolith doesn't influence the game design of Zelda I'll be happy

they obviously aren't ...

orioto

Good Art™
I was wondering about that, but.. I don't know it seems to me the game doesn't have XBC performances in term of draw distance... They should help more

skypunch

Banned
Because Nintendo EPD doesn't employ younger developers, or what are you saying here?

Regardless, do you really think Monolith was involved in early 2013 when Aonuma was already talking publically about breaking down the conventions of Zelda?

Are you butthurt that I'm not giving EPD the glory?

Big One

Banned
Nintendo definitely putting all of their effort on this game. Hope the game sells well enough to recoup the costs. With the amount of things you can do in this game surely it'll have a solid lifespan as well.

I like Takahashi. I'm just saying Xeno3's new main avatar is hopefully more fluid in movement and isn't stiff in the story.
If I had to guess I'm thinking they might go back to an original main character. If they do the avatar again they have to give it more personality.

Ridley327

123 as of two years ago. They've been aggressively hiring since then for both studios, so it might be larger now. They haven't updated the stats on the company page for a while now. 150+ would not be surprising. So having about 100 working as support on assets and polish of a full production project like Zelda, and 50+ doing pre-production or early production on the next projects seems reasonable.

Yeah, that's what I expect is happening here, especially since they've already got an engine to do any necessary prototyping, which reduces the need for a lot of staff to be present.

Monolith Soft employees are Nintendo employees, they've been involved with lots of Nintendo's largest projects as of late. We call them Monolith Soft because thats their legacy but they are very much Nintendo. The younger developers likely refers to the team that worked on Splatoon in addition to more fresh faces.
You sound so mad. Grow up, you child.
Woah what is this?

OmegaDL50

Good grief at some of the replies I'm reading.

Monolith's work on Zelda U / NX will likely be not much different then the work they did with Skyward Sword and Pikmin 3 in the art environment and programming side of things.

Hell you even have people using the music of Xenoblade X as a case for them to not work on Zelda U.

I'd hope for less knee jerk reactions and more actual well informed responses. I thought this place is NeoGAF, not GameFAQs.

Top Bottom