• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith is helping out on the Legend of Zelda:BOTW

I figured this was the case as Monolith has been doing a lot of art assets, graphical work, etc. for a number of AAA titles for the past few years. I'm curious if the developers from Monolith were the "young programmers" Aonuma spoke of.

Shizza

Between the Tree House footage, Aonuma's comments on breaking tradition, and Monolith's involvement in helping with assets, my excitement for this game has gone through the roof this week! Can't wait to see (hear) an announcement about music (beyond the ambient tracks).

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Monolith Soft has been a graphic assistant on all the recent Zelda titles and some other 3D titles. Games require a lot of artists to even develop a lot of inconsequential things pertaining to field and objects and NPC, all big games have dozens of graphic cooperation companies.

MoonFrog

I wonder how just how many people are on BotW. I'm glad Nintendo seems to be going all hands on deck, because they really needed to with the direction they've chosen.

MomoQca

I wonder how Monolith Soft can afford to pay over 100 people. Are they really making that much money from the Xenoblade games and side projects to sustain such a high number of people?

I wonder how Monolith Soft can afford to pay over 100 people. Are they really making that much money from the Xenoblade games and side projects to sustain such a high number of people?
Monolithsoft doesn't pay them, Nintendo does, because Nintendo owns Monolithsoft.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Nintendo pays them. But this is the production end-team which is basically a lot of graphic staff working on a project for a short time. Then they move on to the next game to help finish it. The lead staff is much smaller but work on the project for years before it balloons up.

casiopao

123 as of two years ago. They've been aggressively hiring since then for both studios, so it might be larger now. They haven't updated the stats on the company page for a while now. 150+ would not be surprising. So having about 100 working as support on assets and polish of a full production project like Zelda, and 50+ doing pre-production or early production on the next projects seems reasonable.

I am always really amazed with Nintendo and Monolith Soft here. How can such small number of people around 120 people can craft such huge game like XenoX and filled with almosy zero bugs here.

While i always heard that other AAA company seems to had such huge number of employees.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I am always really amazed with Nintendo and Monolith Soft here. How can such small number of people around 120 people can craft such huge game like XenoX and filled with almosy zero bugs here.

While i always heard that other AAA company seems to had such huge number of employees.

Monolith Soft contracts and outsources A LOT, like all Japanese developers such as Platinum and Grasshopper. You can't pay the necessary staff on a full-time salary really.

Andyliini

Gold Member
This is great news. Monolith Soft is one of my favorite developers, and seeing them once again take a role in Zelda feels great.

The fact that they help out isn't surprising, but that both the Kyoto and the Tokyo studio are involved is. And 100 people is a lot. Just for the sake of comparison, about 40 Monolith employees are listed in Skyward Sword's credits. I really wonder how this will influence development of Xenoblade 3, after all Monolith Soft also developes games like Projekt X Zone.

Akhe

giphy.gif

Top Bottom