• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri Official Site Updated

I've only used Duals, GS and LS, and so far LS is my favorite.

It's damage output can be just as great, if not greater than GS's. When the spirit combo gauge fills, which is not hard to do on Wyvrens, it increases your sharpness and attack power letting you do even more damage. If you alternate between normal hits and spirit combos you can pump out a ton of damage very very fast.

Plus its backwards slash is one of the most useful attacks in the game. You swing and step backwards at the same time and it saves you from so many situations. Anything from getting hits in on Khezu when hes electrifying to carving Lao Shan's belly the entire walk to the fort without having to even turn around.

SumGamer

I mainly used LS, GS and GL.

If you come from SnS background you will probably feel more comfortable with LS. LS and GS damage aren't really different when you count number of hit each type does.
GS is more suitable swift monster which can be hard to hit ther weakpoint. Not to mention the devastating Charge LV3 slam combine with Drawn Critical and you deal massive damage. To balance the downside of unable to run with the sword drawn is the ability to guard with expense of sharpness.

LS is one of the best weapon in game because it deal large damage and still getting consecutive hits on the target which is a good thing for status inflict weapon. The fact that you can still runs with the blade drawn is really sweet. Combine Spirit combo with triangle deals more damage tri>R>tri>R>tri>R>tri+o.

Captain N

How much does Monster Hunter 3 cost to play online?

I am tempted to get this bad boy..does it support wii speak(ha)?

markatisu

Captain N said:
How much does Monster Hunter 3 cost to play online?

I am tempted to get this bad boy..does it support wii speak(ha)?

After a 14 day free trial, players will have the option to purchase play time in increments of 30 days (800 Wii Points/$8), 60 days (1500 Wii Points/$15), or 90 days (2000 Wii Points/$20)

Tenbatsu

sammy said:
I've noticed that characters maintain a lot of balance when hit now. You aren't always knocked into a damage roll and have to get back up. plenty of times the character is blown back but skids to a halt similar to a guard and gets right back in the fight.

I can't say for sure, since I haven't seen them. But in the video it looks like the Rathian and big Crock beasties are in the demo, but i couldn't find them....
Recovery is done by pressing the B button (for Nunchuk + Wiimote) at the right moment when hit. Croc is not in the demo, Rathian is with the Music bird.

bigswords

Urban Scholar said:
Quick question here, I've primarily stuck it out with sword and shield when I played MH on the PSP. After watching these vids I'm going to abandon that and go Great Sword or katana. Anyone used katana as their main? What's is damage out put vs. GS?

Katana's are much easier to use compared to GS as you can run while wielding it. It seriously depends on the mob you are using. Good hunters have a vast array of equipment for dealing with different mobs.

I think damage output wise, nothing can beat the slash, uppercut, downward slash, uppercut combo of the GS.

Tenbatsu

Slash Axe
10zp84p.jpg
2q31vgw.jpg
r2mb9e.jpg
2ivirza.jpg

http://www.capcom.co.jp/monsterhunter/3/page06-01.html

Statement said:
After a 14 day free trial, players will have the option to purchase play time in increments of 30 days (800 Wii Points/$8), 60 days (1500 Wii Points/$15), or 90 days (2000 Wii Points/$20)

Eww. I could be down with 500 Wii points for thirty days, 900 Wii points for 60, and 1200 Wii points for 90. But this is a little too much.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
MH1 online was free here, and if Capcom wants to make MH successful here they must not charge for online play.

I don't see why they would charge anyway, your character is not stored in a server, and the world isn't persistent. It'd be like Bungie charging for online MP in halo 3.

We'll see.

Tenbatsu

I personally felt that one of the main reason for cutting down the weapons categories from the existing 12 to 7 is due to the fact that the series is getting a reboot. All monsters in Tri will have new moves/behavior/weakness etc, so lets say that all existing monsters are in Tri, keeping the balance for all 12 categories of weapons is really difficult. 12 categories is just a tad too much. Imagine the list of old weapons they need to fine tune which is why I think they made a pretty good decision here. However, leaving out gunlance is still a sad thing, that weapon is way too cool. I guess we got to wait for the inevitable MH3 Tri G.

sammy

oh, the slash-axe looks baddass 0_o Yes, it sucks the absence of the weapons but after playing the demo the fighting seems so much tighter. not to mention the added animations. But no worries, Unite is coming out soon :]

Tenbatsu said:
Recovery is done by pressing the B button (for Nunchuk + Wiimote) at the right moment when hit. Croc is not in the demo, Rathian is with the Music bird.

awesome thanks! I'll give the Rathian a shot on monday :D

Tenbatsu

sammy said:
oh, the slash-axe looks baddass 0_o Yes, it sucks the absence of the weapons but after playing the demo the fighting seems so much tighter. not to mention the added animations.

awesome thanks! I'll give the Rathian a shot on monday :D
Nope, maybe you can hunt some sharks in the sea.

Error said:
MH1 online was free here, and if Capcom wants to make MH successful here they must not charge for online play.

I don't see why they would charge anyway, your character is not stored in a server, and the world isn't persistent. It'd be like Bungie charging for online MP in halo 3.

We'll see.

That's a very good point.

sammy

so, is there something you have to accomplish to run into the Rathian in the demo? I can find the bird and the huge drome, but that's it.

pakkit

Banned
Error said:

We'll see.
That's ridiculous.

Microsoft charges for online MP in Halo 3.

wsippel

Banned
Don't know if Capcom said anything about it yet, but what about DLC? The whole MH3 demo seems to be very, very small as is, and since SD cards are supported for DLC and the game doesn't use streaming, anyway, this might/ should be perfectly doable. It'd also makes a whole lot of sense for a game like MH as far as I can tell...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
wsippel said:
Don't know if Capcom said anything about it yet, but what about DLC? The whole MH3 demo seems to be very, very small as is, and since SD cards are supported for DLC and the game doesn't use streaming, anyway, this might/ should be perfectly doable. It'd also makes a whole lot of sense for a game like MH as far as I can tell...
The PSP games have DLC. I'd be surprised if there wasn't any.

markatisu

wsippel said:

I thought it was already confirmed in the last MH3 blowout the Wii version would have DLC in the way of armor and other things.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
wsippel said:
Quests only I believe? No new areas, monsters or equipment, no?
Ahhh I know there are some new items. Downloading a pack gave a storekeeper in town some new things for sale. I'm not far enough into the game to go to the DLC.

sammy

Hrrmmmm, i still can't get the bird to scream for the Rathian. I assume i have to kill the big drome first??

wsippel said:
Quests only I believe? No new areas, monsters or equipment, no?

There's the abandoned town, and the Fatalis arena with the gate. but i was always under the impression that they didn't download, only unlocked what was already on the disk.

SumGamer

sammy said:
Hrrmmmm, i still can't get the bird to scream for the Rathian. I assume i have to kill the big drome first??

There's the abandoned town, and the Fatalis arena with the gate. but i was always under the impression that they didn't download, only unlocked what was already on the disk.

It only called in ONE boss per mission, I think. So if the Dojaki or whatever its called is summoned, you can reset the game and try again. Rathian arrives in my second try.

DLC in 2G only give you new missions and new item on sale at the old lady at the front of gathering hall(Lots of useful item here: raw meat, flashbug, scatter fish, etc.). Also new equipment, I think you only get new equipment such as
Famitsu T-shirt & Tigrex Slasher
via the DLC, since you need to obtain those ticket via DL quest anyway.

I'm just curious how long will Monster Hunter 3 last me assuming it's like the other games? Are there a fair share of monsters and quests to fulfill? Or does most of the length revolve around DLC?

Defuser

Flying_Phoenix said:
I'm just curious how long will Monster Hunter 3 last me assuming it's like the other games? Are there a fair share of monsters and quests to fulfill? Or does most of the length revolve around DLC?
It wil lastl you over a 200 hours. It has Elder quest but the real challenge is the guild quest where most of the good weapons and armor are forged. And since it has online,you can put in over 400 hours in the game.

sammy

Flying_Phoenix said:

For me it has lasted since 2004 :lol

I play a hell of a lot of other games, but always end up coming back.

markatisu

schuelma said:
Wonder if we might get a release date

I would think in a few weeks, why make the demo sales drop like a rock during one of the biggest weeks for sales in the year.

Finally got a chance to try this out today and I love the feel of the classic controller. Its takes only a min or so to adjust from the PSP controls to the CC and the game looks amazing in comparison to the previous entries.

I love being able to use the 2nd stick as a camera, not that the d-pad does not work but it feels nice to be able to have more than 1 option.

markatisu

Tenbatsu said:
Fuck Tri demo cant work!!!

You need to use a specific loader that forces IOS 55, Gecko will lock up at a black screen

pm me and I will give you the details, I played it three times using this loader

Tenbatsu

markatisu said:
You need to use a specific loader that forces IOS 55, Gecko will lock up at a black screen

pm me and I will give you the details, I played it three times using this loader
Thank you very much markatisu!:D

Hmm, why is MHG sharper looking than MH3? I hope its just a demo issue.

markatisu

Tenbatsu said:
Thank you very much markatisu!:D

Hmm, why is MHG sharper looking than MH3? I hope its just a demo issue.

I think MHG is sharper and brighter because MH3 had a different art style (reminds me of watercolor)

I like the look of MH3 more after you go
underwater and soak on the surroundings.

wsippel

Banned
Tenbatsu said:
Fuck Tri demo cant work!!!
If you have USB loader installed, just rip the game. That supposedly works for whatever reason, and the loading times should be a lot more bearable that way.

Tenbatsu

markatisu said:
I think MHG is sharper and brighter because MH3 had a different art style (reminds me of watercolor)

I like the look of MH3 more after you go
underwater and soak on the surroundings.
Yeah but....even the title screen doesnt look as sharp...hmm...

markatisu

wsippel said:
If you have USB loader installed, just rip the game. That supposedly works for whatever reason, and the loading times should be a lot more bearable that way.

the loading times are like 1-2sec lol, I guess that would make them instant

Not sure if you should judge the demo too harsh I think it's only like 300mb or so

Have you been able to go online in MHG? I read that import Wii's stop at 93% conecting because the Wii is tied to the US shop and not the JP one

markatisu said:
the loading times are like 1-2sec lol, I guess that would make them instant

This is why I don't understand that they didn't just didn't do the character automatically runs while the scene fades out and the new scene fades in trick. (Think Zelda)

Vinci said:
Okay, I'm pretty much a MH noob - but I'm fucking excited as hell for this game. The weight of the character's movements, the scale of the fights. Everything clicks for me. Definitely looking forward to multi on this bad-boy.

Same here.

Top Bottom