• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri Official Site Updated

Tenbatsu

New Weapon
SLASH AXE!!

and a new gunlance, in collaboration with Enterbrain.

Bowgun now features 3 parts customization!!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Anymore specific a release window or still just Summer 2009?

markatisu

schuelma said:
Anymore specific a release window or still just Summer 2009?

I doubt you will see a release date till the MH:G and MH3 demo have been out for a little bit

Why tell people its coming in say July or August when you can whore the demo for some easy sales.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
markatisu said:
I doubt you will see a release date till the MH:G and MH3 demo have been out for a little bit

Why tell people its coming in say July or August when you can whore the demo for some easy sales.

true

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I think they figured Dual Sword+Power Juice=broken. Dunno why they dropped bows.

The big ass axe looks neat. I wonder if they'll change the attacks for the rest of the weapon types.

Defuser

Error said:
I think they figured Dual Sword+Power Juice=broken.
Wut no. Hammer 3 hit combo damage surpasses Dual sword + power juice combo not to mention it gives a knockout stun. Maybe they couldn't find a way to implement waggle with dual swords.

markatisu

Defuser said:
Wut no. Hammer 3 hit combo damage surpasses Dual sword + power juice combo not to mention it gives a knockout stun. Maybe they couldn't find a way to implement waggle with dual swords.

But the game is meant to be played with the classic controller (which is why it comes with the MHG set) so it makes no sense to do away with it for that reason

Defuser

markatisu said:
But the game is meant to be played with the classic controller (which is why it comes with the MHG set) so it makes no sense to do away with it for that reason
I doubt most wii owners has a classic controller. No matter how look at it,the classic controller is not part of the main Wii system.

Error

Defuser said:
Yes hammers are powerful, but they don't work that well against every single monster.

Whereas Dual Sword word against every monster easily. Just get the fast sharpening skill+Expert skill at 20, a fitting dual sword set for a monster, some power juice and you'd rid shit up like no one's business.

I doubt motion controls have anything to do with them axing bows or dual swords.

Tenbatsu

Its confirmed, there will be 7 categories of weapons in MH3 Tri.

1. Small Sword
2. Lance
3. Hammer
4. Bowgun
5. Big Sword
6. Long Blade
7. Slash Axe (NEW)

Do note that they can still be break into sub categories. Eg. Lance - Gun Lance etc.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Hey guys, gonna get the demo today and upload some videos to 1up tonight (jp time).

I'm not an expert, but I'm sure as hell better than that other dude who posted videos.

Tenbatsu

sprsk said:
Hey guys, gonna get the demo today and upload some videos to 1up tonight (jp time).

I'm not an expert, but I'm sure as hell better than that other dude who posted videos.
Thanks alot man!!:D

Defuser

Error said:
Yes hammers are powerful, but they don't work that well against every single monster.

Whereas Dual Sword word against every monster easily. Just get the fast sharpening skill+Expert skill at 20, a fitting dual sword set for a monster, some power juice and you'd rid shit up like no one's business.

I doubt motion controls have anything to do with them axing bows or dual swords.
Goes to show how you much play Monster hunter. I have not seen any monster being resistant to hammer so far whereas I seen DS being weak against some monster. Your dual sword is semi useless to Gold Rathian Silver Rathalos,Fatalis whereas Hammer pwns all monsters. You're overestimating Dual Swords, now I know why are there hammer elitist players,it just damn good.

bigswords

Tenbatsu said:
Its confirmed, there will be 7 categories of weapons in MH3 Tri.

1. Small Sword
2. Lance
3. Hammer
4. Bowgun
5. Big Sword
6. Long Blade
7. Slash Axe (NEW)

Do note that they can still be break into sub categories. Eg. Lance - Gun Lance etc.

Ohh no Horn thingies? :( Not that great to kill with but it's a good support weapon hahaha~~

markatisu

sprsk said:

THANK YOU! I want to see some good quality videos of the water levels and also get some impressions on how it controls.

Defuser

bigswords said:
Ohh no Horn thingies? :( Not that great to kill with but it's a good support weapon hahaha~~
Oh crap,I forgotten about that. Goes to show how much of a passive support weapon it is. :lol

bigswords

Defuser said:
Oh crap,I forgotten about that. Goes to show how much of a passive support weapon it is. :lol

It's pretty useful if you have 4 party team and the final guy is to do strengthen sharpness, strength, healing, resistance vs elements, etc.. (depending on music instrument).

But other then that..yea more for the elite hardcore support players. But damn I love it when someone plays a song and I get healed lol

Error

:rolleyes at defuser.

Yeah, I certainly don't know anything about these games.

Hammers take skill to use. You can't expect anyone to fully exploit them. With dual sword anyone can do that demon combo shit.

I use hammers, I know fully well how powerful they are but they are not that effective against some monsters. For instance, against Monoblos and Diablos a 3-hit hammer combo won't work because their head is too hard, your blows will bounce off. Against tigrex, his head is too freaking small, even with flash bombs he moves around too much. that's just on top of my head.

Defuser

Error said:

I'm not insulting you in anyway but you're giving dual swords too much credit here. Dual swords + Power/Mega juice is not broken at all,it's a part of the tactic.

Besides you already said yourself Tigrex head moves too much therefore demon combo is also hard to execute on it.

Double Edit: Btw,are you gonna use xlink or Ad hoc party for Unite?

Error said:

Hammers take skill to use. You can't expect anyone to fully exploit them. With dual sword anyone can do that demon combo shit.

I use hammers, I know fully well how powerful they are but they are not that effective against some monsters. For instance, against Monoblos and Diablos a 3-hit hammer combo won't work because their head is too hard, your blows will bounce off. Against tigrex, his head is too freaking small, even with flash bombs he moves around too much. that's just on top of my head.
Hammers have always and will always be better weapons than Dualies (except for pre-nerf dragon dualies)

NomarTyme

Yes more info about the Slash axe please. Also I thinking about back to MHP2, I been hankering to play some! I haven't touch Monster Hunter over half a year now.

Error

Ok ok, you guys win.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173877

-In what may be a tough new move for some series fans to swallow, the number of weapon categories in MH3 have gone down from 12 to only seven -- Great Swords, Lances, Hammers, Bowguns, Sword/Shield, Katanas, and the new Slash Axes. "After a great deal of debate, we concluded that we needed to whittle down the weapon categories and concentrate on adding more depth to each individual weapon," Tsujimoto explained.

Honestly I'm all for that.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Wow, they took out weapons? That sucks. I exclusively use the Long Sword/Big Sword/Hammers anyway. The guy playing with the long-sword sucked.

Sheath the fucker if you're just walking around stoopid.

Error

If they give more customization options for weapons, then I'm alright with them taking out weapons.

Maybe the game will have weapon skills now? Something that works similar to armor skills. who knows.

Error

Sporsk's preview sounds awesome I specially liked this part...

New to Monster Hunter, if you attack a pack of the comparatively weak Jagi (a smaller version of Dosjagi) on a stage that includes Dosjagi, the large dinosaur will rush to your section of the map to aid his allies. And when the flying Kurubekko gets backed into a corner, it can call on monsters that aren?t even in the area to come help him.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3173879&p=44

Error

I don't think they call for help. the monster probably starts screaming and a 'nearby' rathian hears and tries to go for the hunt, too.

if they do indeed work together against you, then the monsters suddenly got a major boost in intelligence!

Error

impressions from IGN

Surprisingly, our enjoyment came despite some issues we have with the game's control scheme. There are some serious deficiencies with the game's controls. You can't lock yourself into an enemy, nor can you strafe. It's a bit tough to keep your sights set on a single foe. We'll have to play a bit more to see if we can get used to what feels like a somewhat dated control layout.

:sigh The american press STILL doesn't get Monster Hunter. Well, I think only a few do! Milky and Sporsk.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/975/975197p1.html

How come you don't use the run button in your videos Sprsk?

Thanks for the videos. That Rathalos one was pretty awesome, the game looks a ton more "immersive" than the PSP ones. Rathalos actually looks scary!

sprsk

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
How come you don't use the run button in your videos Sprsk?

Thanks for the videos. That Rathalos one was pretty awesome, the game looks a ton more "immersive" than the PSP ones. Rathalos actually looks scary!

I didn't find it till after I made the videos, hahaha. I kept looking for it, but yeah, these videos were made after trying each boss once. I was just throwing pretty much anything at kurubekko to find some sort of weakness, couldn't really find much. Though I am pretty sure the front of his wings are mostly invulnerable to blades.

Error

The animations are a fuckton better, too. Monsters move life-like and less robotic.

In your rathalos video what the heck was that part where he was stomping you and you had the purple bar above your head? That looks like it would be murder against a strong monster.

sprsk

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
In your rathalos video what the heck was that part where he was stomping you and you had the purple bar above your head? That looks like it would be murder against a strong monster.

Yeah, that was new. I couldn't get out of it either.

sprsk

Man, G looks so much worse than Tri. It's not even funny.

Yeah, and then I realized I didn't have any bombs to put him to sleep :/

Tenbatsu

Error said:
If they give more customization options for weapons, then I'm alright with them taking out weapons.

Maybe the game will have weapon skills now? Something that works similar to armor skills. who knows.
Bowguns currently got the best customization, they are divided into 3 parts: Barrel, Frame and stock. You can bascially customize a light bowgun into a heavy bowgun.

I wonder if gunlance is still there? The Enterbrain weapon is a gunlance thou hmm...

Top Bottom