• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 has already sold 2 million copies in Japan (4 days)

Kysen

I'm 12hrs in and the game is a huge step up over all the other games. The new traversal mechanics are awesome, and it seems they have really put in the effort in getting new hunters up to speed(I'm still in the tutorial). The delay due to extra polishing seems to have been well spent.

Sucks that 3U was released to the west instead of this game as this is the complete package.

test_account

XP-39C²
well a game in HD would have cost more than a game in whatever the resolution is for 3DS, just look at the trailers, they can get away with some blurry and jagged textures in a 3DS game but I doubt people will react the same way if it where for vita
Maybe it would cost more, but how much :)

I would be shocked if it sold 2 million on the Vita, just because the userbase isn't there.

Of course capcom made a smart move by making it on the 3ds as the userbase is there and it is probably much cheaper to make.
Personally i wouldnt be shocked to see a 2 million opening on either 3DS or Vita. Monster Hunter is so popular in Japan, especially on handheld systems, so its a big system seller. The Vita situation would probably be quite different than what it is now if MH4 was exclusive for Vita.

By the way, MH4 was decided for 3DS before either the 3DS or the Vita was released, so the userbase was not a factor when Capcom made this decision.

Ridley327

I'm 12hrs in and the game is a huge step up over all the other games. The new traversal mechanics are awesome, and it seems they have really put in the effort in getting new hunters up to speed(I'm still in the tutorial). The delay due to extra polishing seems to have been well spent.

Sucks that 3U was released to the west instead of this game as this is the complete package.

It's not like MH3U is hurting for content, though. I personally would have been upset if we never got it.

FF and DQ are bigger franchises on consoles. MH is only crazy on portables.
I'm not sure console FFXV will sell like FFXIII did after the way this generation played out.

FFX-2 sold similar to FFX but FFXIII-2 anf FFXIII-3 underperformed compared to it.

Yeah FFXV might bring it back to its glory days but its not guaranteed.

I'm not sure console FFXV will sell like FFXIII did after the way this generation played out.

FFX-2 sold similar to FFX but FFXIII-2 anf FFXIII-3 underperformed compared to it.

its not out yet but you wont be wrong

edit - I beat glass rebel but his his post was better *tips hat*

Glass Rebel

Yup, hasn't sold a single copy. Worst bomba in gaming history.

It isn't out yet

I'm not saying it won't underperform

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
No worries, thanks for the quote :) I hadnt seen that before, at least not from what i can remember right now. I dont see why MH4 would sell more on Vita than on 3DS, i wonder why people think that. But it would simply just be a guess because such senario (MH4 being exclusive for Vita) havnt excisted and will never excist.

Sorry for the misunderstand earlier by the way, when i thought you said that i claimed there hadnt been any port begging etc..

I didnt see your edit in your previous post before now:

If that is the case, i dont think that the current Vita sales are much of an indicator for this though, because the whole Vita situation in Japan would most likely had been quite different if MH4 was exclusive for Vita instead. How much different are anyone's guess though, but Monster Hunter is a huge franchise that does sell a lot of systems. But regardless of the Vita, we see on the MH4 sales number alone that it was not a mistake to bring it to the 3DS. The game seems to be great, so i hope Capcom has much success with MH4 :)

I do agree the situation will have been different if MH4 vita was announced instead. Vita hw sales will have been more than 2m for sure, but i doubt it'll be so much that it is enough to support 2m MH4 sales in year 2013, unless MH4 goes on sale in like 2016/2017 instead in this hypothetical scenario imo. I doubt capcom will want to wait that long.

Beth Cyra

I honestly think writing XV off is misguided. As it stands it very much seems as if the Japanese audience is aware of the situation around the games, and even how they have been handled.

Almost everything I have seen shows that at least in JPN they still have confidence in Nomura and his products. Each time LR gets shown very little hype or fan fare follows it, however the reaction from both East and West was very positive and showed strong desire for the game, to a far greater extent then either XIII-2 or XIII-3.

I really think it's possible we could see a very large jump going from XIII to XV. Even XIII's opening was weak and I think XV could easily beat it if they market it right and Nomura can deliver.

Top Bottom