• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Review Thread

Owensboro

Ehhhh you're probably better off running off to mining/butterfly areas.

I just figured it was something else quick to loot during the "you killed a monster! Kicking you out in 60 seconds!" thing. Also, I never would have thought you can loot that since I usually have my weapon out when I'm running around one.

Man I hope the manual explains more of this game. I knew about the Mining, Butterflies, and Herbs but had no idea there were other things you could loot!

Heroman

Banned
I just figured it was something else quick to loot during the "you killed a monster! Kicking you out in 60 seconds!" thing. Also, I never would have thought you can loot that since I usually have my weapon out when I'm running around one.

Man I hope the manual explains more of this game. I knew about the Mining, Butterflies, and Herbs but had no idea there were other things you could loot!
Most of you don't have the time to farm other stuff after the monster is dead.

Razzorn34

It is. My third 3ds (both previous 3ds were the Zelda versions of 3ds/xl respectively). Time to change it up with some MH.

And yeah, less than one dollar an hour!

Same. I haven't figured out what I want to do with my old Zelda XL yet. I have my wife using my original 3DS.

Kuren

It's great that Monster Hunter is finally getting the critical praise in the West that it deserves. It's a fun game with a lot of value, depth, and love put into the game.

It's also amusing that Monster Hunter has been previously panned by critics and reviewers since Freedom Unite came out just like how another GAFer pointed out previously in the thread. But now, it's like Monster Hunter is gold and recently discovered.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

"Elsewhere on your 3DS, controls fight with each other over jobs, and it rarely makes sense. For example, you can’t use an item with your weapon drawn because the Use Item button is also the Attack button. I’m willing to grant in this case that it’s hard to drink a potion with your hands full, but it’s also impossible to run with your weapon out because that’s the Block button. And you can’t harvest plants or animals either — you’ll dodge instead."

14179930414_e725848053_o.gif

"Elsewhere on your 3DS, controls fight with each other over jobs, and it rarely makes sense. For example, you can’t use an item with your weapon drawn because the Use Item button is also the Attack button. I’m willing to grant in this case that it’s hard to drink a potion with your hands full, but it’s also impossible to run with your weapon out because that’s the Block button. And you can’t harvest plants or animals either — you’ll dodge instead."

Sigh......

These poor poor people.

Killer

Banned
Its all combined bro

Is this your first one? You are in for a treat if you can tough it out past the initial learning curve

Play with friends whenever you can!

You keep everything

Thanks for the responses. I played MH3 on Wii U but didn't like it. Tried the demo for this one and it was much better. The quest part confused me because they are the same in sp and mp so i thought the progress will carry over to each mode regardless of what i choose.

Nohar

Holy shit. And there I thought that journalists will shit on the graphics and the game will end up with a score of 7~. Amazing.

Actually, Gamekult (french) did that, scoring the game a 7 and outright calling some textures ugly in one paragraph (though the main corpus of the review says the game is amazing).

Corgi

Banned
slightly offtopic... but playing the demo, the only thing i was confused about is mounting baddies.

When am I suppose to be holding R, and when should i be stabbing away?

georly

Oh man, I -strongly- recommend Hyrule Warriors. It's my first Musou game and I was apprehensive going in, but it's AMAZING.

Can confirm. Put in 150+ hours of game time and i'm still not close to done, nor do I feel like quitting. Top 5 games from last year for sure.

That said, i'm really glad MH4U is getting these scores, hope it sells well enough that it REALLY picks up steam in the US. I'd love for it to be huge here like it is in japan.

But it is an actual flaw. I'm getting the game friday, but I'm aware of the nuances mentioned. There is no excuse for archaic controls in 2015, specially when similar games to MH don't have those issues.

Are you kidding me right now?

Its just how the game is built mechanically. You have certain controls when your weapon is sheathed and unsheathed

Its perfectly logical and sensible for the game and necessary for the game to have full controls avalilable

Nohar

slightly offtopic... but playing the demo, the only thing i was confused about is mounting baddies.

When the monster's icon is green, STABSTABSTAB with X. When the monster is getting agitated, its icon will turn red and move really fast if you STAB him. So, when the monster is getting GETTHEHELLOFFMYBACK, hold R to slow down the icon (which will turn orange). When the monster has calmed down, resume STAB.

Are you kidding me right now?

Its just how the game is built mechanically. You have certain controls when your weapon is sheathed and unsheathed

Its perfectly logical and sensible for the game and necessary for the game to have full controls avalilable

That's like saying that a game like RE:Remake HD has good controls though. Yes, the game is built around them mechanically (
I love them
), but I know how shit they can be for someone used to something more "modern".

Edit: All I'm saying is that it is a fair critic, even if you or me disagree with it.

Assault

Fantastic scores! I've always been a bit of a MH fanboy and was disappointed in some of the Western reviews for MHFU, but I'm glad that journos have finally 'got' Monster Hunter. Hopefully these amazing reviews will translate into more sales, which in turn means more Monster Hunter games for everyone!

bart64

Banned
I had this pre-ordered and ended up cancelling because I didn't like the demo. Made it seem like each quest is chasing around a monster and trying to kills it using really clunky moves. Is there more to it that I didn't get from the demo? Exploring, dungeons, puzzles, story, towns I heard are in but are they just glorified stores? I really want something fresh for my new 3ds but I'm kinda hesitant toward grinding for loot kind of games, and I'm not sure I want to replay MM.

That's like saying that a game like RE:Remake HD has good controls though. Yes, the game is built around them mechanically (
I love them
), but I know how shit they can be for someone used to something more "modern".

??/????

What is not to get? Weapon out. Controls shift to controling weapon. Weapon Sheathed Controls shift to stuff not weapon related.

Its not even an apt comparison to Tank controls in RE

Owensboro

But it is an actual flaw. I'm getting the game friday, but I'm aware of the nuances mentioned. There is no excuse for archaic controls in 2015, specially when similar games to MH don't have those issues.

I feel like in this case, it's more of a conscious design decision in order to force you to decide WHEN to do certain things. Having to put up your weapon to heal, or harvest, or run makes those actions mean more, because if you try them at the wrong time you're gonna get slapped by the monster.

Arguing that it's an "actual flaw" is like arguing that not being able to pick up the ball in a game of Soccer with your hands is a flaw.

From what I can tell, you're supposed to be holding R whenever the little chomping head on the bottom of the screen turns red, which happens during roars and when the monster is thrashing around.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

That's not archaic if the game is balanced / totally designed around it. Sheathing and unsheathing your weapon has function therefore it's a meaningful action. There are entire armor skills that revolve around you sheathing and unsheathing your weapon, you're acting like it's an arbitrary limitation when it is in fact anything but.

That's like saying soccer is archaic in design because you can't use your hands except some times.

rpmurphy

When the monster is enraged (the monster icon on the bar is red), hold R. You can stab away any time, but the monster's meter is going to fill up very quickly when enraged, so don't do that unless you know it will calm down or you will succeed first.

Jesus christ.

I thought people were smhing cause there are at least two pieces of factually incorrect information in that paragraph

??/????

What is not to get? Weapon out. Controls shift to controling weapon. Weapon Sheathed Controls shift to stuff not weapon related.

Its not even an apt comparison to Tank controls in RE

I could say the same thing about RE HD though, the irony. Again I just think is a fair critic. It took me awhile to get used the controls in MH3U. It was really frustrating to say the least.

wiibomb

... which isn't even true to begin with

Infinite

Pay attention to the meter with the icon on it. You want to be going ham on the monster when the meter is blue and you want to be holding R when it is yellow. When it turns red that mean you should be holding R but since you ain't the icon will climb up faster and you'll be tossed off the monsters back sooner. Oh and when the monster is going to roar and you mounted it squeeze that shoulder button

Always, ALWAYS mount monsters when they are tired.

Corgi

Banned

surprised people have issue with the controls. its not really much more complicated than assassin's creed, or an old metal gear game.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Pathetic.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

You can just have R held down the whole time, but technically you only have to be holding it down when the monster head icon is red or yellow, which is when you're supposed to not be attacking.

MegaMelon

I could say the same thing about RE HD though, the irony. Again I just think is a fair critic. It took me awhile to get used the controls in MH3U. It was really frustrating to say the least.

To be fair, how would you even manage to map everything to the buttons available whilst having your weapon drawn? For some weapons it MAY be reasonable, but for many of them that have complex combos and uses, it's flat out impossible. For example, how would one integrate using items with the charge axe? Both triggers are used up, as is the 4 abxy weapons. MAYBE using start/select or something...but that would be ridiculous.

surprised people have issue with the controls. its not really much more complicated than assassin's creed, or an old metal gear game.

Oh for fuck sake, that's completely untrue though. It took me hours to get used MH contols mechanics and timing, it takes minutes to get used to the control of Assassins Creed or Metal Gear.

Assault

I had this pre-ordered and ended up cancelling because I didn't like the demo. Made it seem like each quest is chasing around a monster and trying to kills it using really clunky moves. Is there more to it that I didn't get from the demo? Exploring, dungeons, puzzles, story, towns I heard are in but are they just glorified stores? I really want something fresh for my new 3ds but I'm kinda hesitant toward grinding for loot kind of games, and I'm not sure I want to replay MM.

I would say it will probably take around 10-20 hours for a new player to get a good grip of the gameplay mechanics. Honestly, once you learn the game it is really hard to put down. I would urge you to give it another shot - I haven't played the demo so I don't know what monsters are in it, but the later monsters make for some exhilarating fights.

For those who are worried about USING Items unsheathed...

Sword and Shield lets you do just that

When did people stop trying to learn games that are different than what they have played before

To be fair, how would you even manage to map everything to the buttons available whilst having your weapon drawn? For some weapons it MAY be reasonable, but for many of them that have complex combos and uses, it's flat out impossible. For example, how would one integrate using items with the charge axe? Both triggers are used up, as is the 4 abxy weapons. MAYBE using start/select or something...but that would be ridiculous.

I get your point, I'm just saying I can see why someone my dislike the controls. I'm not trying to bash the game. I'm hyped for the game.

You can actually just go ahead and hold R all the time even while stabbing, just don't stab while the monster is freaking out or roaring (red icon for both).

My shipment better go out on time ffs. =|

wiibomb

the problem there was not exactly the controls, but not knowing how the games mechanic works, it's like whining because mario can't jump twice

Infinite

Oh for fuck sake, that's completely untrue though. It took me hours to get used MH contols mechanics and timing, it takes minutes to get used to the control of Assassins Creed or Metal Gear.

That issue of not being able to use items while weapon is drawn is not a matter of obtuse controls it's a matter of balance. It's very much intentional and furthermore there's a weapon that allows you to use items while it is drawn anyways.

MegaMelon

I get your point, I'm just saying I can see why someone my dislike the controls. I'm not trying to bash the game. I'm hyped for the game.

Yeah that's reasonable, everyone should be allowed to like or dislike a mechanic regardless of whatever someone else thinks. I do feel that not being able to use items with weapons out (aside from sword and shield) adds another layer of complexity that's not awfully difficult to get used to once you master a weapon and learn to see a monsters movements. God I can't contain my hype, if only amazon would change to shipped or even preparing delivery.

No voice chat at all? Seems one of the reviews had that as a con. Was he hopefully mistake or will this honestly not have any voice communication that seems like a really big missing feature.

Corgi

Banned

really? felt there was many parallels with asscreed games. You have different 'profiles' with different buttons mapped. Didn't say it was easy, but it did take me a bit to figure out asscreed when 1 first came out.

And I still am god awful with the controls in MGS2-3. Especially when you are trying to shoot in 1st person while peeking on the fly.

Top Bottom