• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Review Thread

SuperSah

Banned
This game is going to be so dope.

Loved MH for years and finally, true online on the go!

I sank hundreds of hours online on MHTri, so bring it the fuck on!

That issue of not being able to use items while weapon is drawn is not a matter of obtuse controls it's a matter of balance. It's very much intentional and furthermore there's a weapon that allows you to use items while it is drawn anyways.

I think that the actual misunderstanding of my first post was the use of "flawed" controls, which they are are not. But the game mechanics/controls do have a high learning curve, or at the very least they take time to get used to. I can see how they can frustrate some players. I do think the reviewer didn't explained it as good as he/she should have.

jwhit28

The complicated controls are something I enjoy. Learning each weapon is like learning a character in a fighting game or a style in DMC.

I think that the actual misunderstanding of my first post was the use of "flawed" controls, which they are are not. But the game mechanics/controls do have a high learning curve, or at the very least they take time to get used to. I can see how they can frustrate some players. I do think the reviewer didn't explained it as good as he/she should have.

Oh well thats for sure

Each weapon is like its own game. Some are simpler than others as far as controls and Nuances go.

You should probably not have doubled down on inflammatory language in that case

Lookin' good. I cancelled my MH4U order last... Saturday, I think, but the shipping only made it like $5 less than a regular retail copy anyways.

I'll get it digitally after I beat Youkai Watch 2, which should be coming in the mail late this week or early next week.

Netto-kun

My first MH4U review.
"I AM GONNA JUMP ATTACK IN YOUR FACE"
*gets hit by a fireball in the middle of my well-planned jump attack*

Alternative second MH4U review:
*mounts monster*
"Ok I am ON IT. Now I'll just stab & kno-"
*gets knocked down cause someone flinched the monster*

A third MH4U review.
Someone else: "OK planting BOMBS stop hitting the monster!"
Me: *keeps hitting head and detonates all the bombs*
*pretends my slimeblight weapon caused all the explosions*

"Elsewhere on your 3DS, controls fight with each other over jobs, and it rarely makes sense. For example, you can’t use an item with your weapon drawn because the Use Item button is also the Attack button. I’m willing to grant in this case that it’s hard to drink a potion with your hands full, but it’s also impossible to run with your weapon out because that’s the Block button. And you can’t harvest plants or animals either — you’ll dodge instead."

14179930414_e725848053_o.gif
Hey, at least he was nice enough to thank me for readin- wait how did he know that I linked his review on Twitter?! *roll eyes*

Infinite

I don't disagree. I been playing the monster hunter series since the ps2 days and I tried to give the charge blade a go. I love the weapon but the controls take some memorization and practice. That's the beauty of monster hunter though every weapon becomes it's own game.

Cycling through items will forever be clumsy

I don't disagree. I been playing the monster hunter series since the ps2 days and I tried to give the charge blade a go. I love the weapon but the controls take some memorization and practice. That's the beauty of monster hunter though every weapon becomes it's own game.

Cycling through items will forever be clumsy

I guess the nice point I give to 3DS is that the second screen can be set with various customizable shortcuts

You can get an example of this by playing the demo

Kyou

"Elsewhere on your 3DS, controls fight with each other over jobs, and it rarely makes sense. For example, you can’t use an item with your weapon drawn because the Use Item button is also the Attack button. I’m willing to grant in this case that it’s hard to drink a potion with your hands full, but it’s also impossible to run with your weapon out because that’s the Block button. And you can’t harvest plants or animals either — you’ll dodge instead."

man gathering while your weapons are out sounds like a fucking nightmare

"Okay he's down, time to att-NO NOT GATHER FUCK"

bobawesome

Wasn't terribly excited. I played some of MH3U on the Wii U but never really got into it.
These scores, though, along with mention that it's a great way for new players to get into the series has me tempted now...
Oh shit, this or Majora?

If you've never played Majora's Mask, I'd easily recommend it over another Monster Hunter game.

Everything about it is magical and the revamped graphics really bring the world to life.

komorebi

No voice chat at all? Seems one of the reviews had that as a con. Was he hopefully mistake or will this honestly not have any voice communication that seems like a really big missing feature.

I know a lot of newcomers are jumping into the series with MH4, but there has never been and likely never will be a voice chat feature in MH -- at least not on a handheld system. The series is almost as conservative as Pokemon. Its also not needed and I would argue that even for the harder monsters.

I know a lot of newcomers are jumping into the series with MH4, but there has never been and likely never will be a voice chat feature in MH -- at least not on a handheld system. The series is almost as conservative as Pokemon. Its also not needed and I would argue that even for the harder monsters.

If it was on the Vita they wouldn't even have to bother implementing it since its BUILT INTO THE SYSTEM AND NETWORK

Sigh.... Nintendo is always making us compromise ya know. SKYPE IT IS!

R0ckman

I didn't think it was worth having a thread about it as it may have already been mentioned, but, if you live in the US and didn't pre-order it already, a Wal-Mart around you might be selling it already if you wanna pick t up.

Mine was.

I find that this depends on the competency level of your Wal-Mart, the workers have to be competent enough to keep up on the stocking of items, but not competent enough to be aware of streetdate products. The Walmart near my job fell into the former, was stocked full of everything BUT MH4U, 3DS were not stocked and the new 3DS were not out. I'll check the one near my house, but I'm betting it will be a worse situation there.

Funnily enough, I know Monster Hunters don't like it when one compares MH to the Souls games....

...but playing through Dark Souls taught how to be patient with a game and how to wrap my head around multilayered combat mechanics .

Both series have a lot incommen in the way you have to "conquer" them imo

Funnily enough, I know Monster Hunters don't like it when one compares MH to the Souls games....

...but playing through Dark Souls taught how to be patient with a game and how to wrap my head around multilayered combat mechanics .

Both series have a lot incommen in the way you have to "conquer" them imo

Souls and Monster Hunter share a lot of DNA. At least with regards to how you approach combat.

Though they start to deviate quite a bit mechanically.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
It feels so good when you go into randoms and each of you are pro enough in every situation thrown at you.

Corgi

Banned
there are also weapons for people that don't want to go all fancy with inputs.

Unless greatsword changed much, its still probably mostly unshealth overhead chop. roll away, sheath sword, repeat.

tuffy

Any game of reasonable complexity is always going to have some reviewer who can't be bothered to figure it out before the deadline so he just cranks out some laughably unhelpful review instead. I'm surprised that the majority of them really seemed to "get" how the game operates and offered pretty similar takes on what players would be getting into. Though longtime players might tire of the early game tutorial quests, they do seem to be getting better at easing new players into the game.

It feels so good when you go into randoms and each of you are pro enough in every situation thrown at you.

It is inherently a social game though

The lack of Voice chat is due in part to hardware limits. If they could have done it they would much like they did with the last 3 console version (Wii, WiiU, and PS3 version all had voice chat)

Could you point out where I used inflammatory language, I'll gladly remove it. I thought I was being reasonable.
Others already pointed out your hyperbole so it's not really necessary

It might not be necessary but it is a nice thing for the people who want to communicate in that way. I remember GAF praising the Wii U version of 3U because there was built in no excuses voice chat.

Heh, not even sure if he played the game or not.

I'm surprised how well this is reviewing in the west. Is it significantly better than 3U?
Much better.

I'm almost buying this, I even have the CPP ready. But coming in the same day/month as MM3D really fucked me up, as I can only have 1 right now (the rest of the money went into other stuff).

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Well the reviews encouraged me to preorder it from Best Buy since they're doing the $10 gift certificate on top of the GCU.

Should be fun!

thefil

I'm surprised how well this is reviewing in the west. Is it significantly better than 3U?

Much like Souls, I think this is a cultural shift. People (reviewers included) have been taught by their friends what kind of perspective/lens they need to bring to enjoy a game like MonHun.

Much like Souls, I think this is a cultural shift. People (reviewers included) have been taught by their friends what kind of perspective/lens they need to bring to enjoy a game like MonHun.

Exactly

Thank you Dark Souls. You have given us so much. Exposure to that game definitely makes learning the ropes in Monster Hunter easier

Einbroch

Banned
No voice chat is seriously a massive bummer. I want to talk to my friends and brother without having to go through Skype on my phone with two sets of earphones in my ears.

Really dampens the whole thing for me.

No voice chat is seriously a massive bummer. I want to talk to my friends and brother without having to go through Skype on my phone with two sets of earphones in my ears.

Really dampens the whole thing for me.

Its sad yeah.... I dont understand why they couldn't at least make it available for New 3DS

It should be powerful enough to handle it

ACESmkII

I'm glad Monster Hunter is getting the recognition it deserves.

Does anyone else think MH4U could be the best selling in the series in the west?

Suprising for me that the first couple of MHs, I didn't have much interest.

But when I got MH3U on 3DS, I practically played for weeks.
Looking forward to 4U.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| Hop on!

Unicorn

Monster Hunter games are one of the rare instances where a game can't be affected by review scores. The series has been consistently good and I know what to expect with each iteration, pretty much.

I scroll through the venues, but don't feel any of them have the authority to weigh in on the game or franchise to me, which is a perspective that not many other games share. Maybe Pokemon, but for the most part I'm open to other perspectives. I assume that is how most people in the FGC feel about fighting game reviews.

You really don't need voice chat beside social stuff.

Edit: And just to note both of you that I quoted... It's always been a hugely social game hence why before the Wii, PS3, and WiiU versions the game had pretty much exclusively local multiplayer meaning that players were within talking distance if you wanna tell me that those players didn't communicate at all because they are so "veteran" or "pro"...

I mean really communication has always been needed for the series but voice chat hasn't. I'm sorry I'm a huge fan of the series and a "veteran" but I wont go around acting like features are not needed or wouldn't be nice.

End Edit

Hardly a newcomer to the series but it was nice to have voice chat in MH3U on the WiiU and it doesn't make much sense why it couldn't carry on onto this as well.

Other 3ds titles have voice chat through the mic, it's not a standard but it does seem like an oversight as it was a feature of MH3U. And it's always fun talking with the friends you're playing with to communicate in the fly, it would be nothing but plus to have.

And it is a shame they left it out regardless of how long you've been a veteran of the series. While core gameplay makes this game as great as always certain newer features would help.

Kazerei

Banned
I already loved the shit out of MH3U, so it's nice to see reviews saying MH4U is even better. Now I just need to get my hands on a new 3DS XL and decide if I wanna buy one. I've been doing fine in the demo with just target lock and the touchscreen D-pad, but I am definitely more used to adjusting the camera a lot with the right analog stick.

Great scores, excited for it!

I'm still holding out hope on some kind of HD version like 3 Ultimate on Wii U, but I will be picking this up in the meantime. It's gonna be hard to go back to playing on the small screen, but for Monster Hunter I'll do what it takes.

NewGame

Banned
I love these cute little baddie reviewers! Popular complaints:

Controls are too hard! I don't understand how putting a weapon away changes the button usage!

You click the lock on button but then the monster moves! How dare it move, game is clearly flawed.

I tried to make a weapon but it said I had to fight the monster again, I don't want to fight the monster again!

I tried to heal but I had to stand still with my weapon away and I got smacked upside the head!

I got distracted by a shiny thing and when I tried to pause the game I couldn't!!

I can't believe the game has to LOAD it's levels, what is this 2001? Feels like a PS2 game

Don't worry baby reviewers, I have a perfect solution for you:

tumblr_inline_ngz98vMigj1r85rex.png

Corgi

Banned
people are complaining about loading for THIS? unless the demo is different from the final version, the loading between screens were really brisk on the old 3ds xl, especially compare to some of the psp ones.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
The fact that it is portable only annoys me. I can't stand portable Monster Hunter. It's too hard to play on a tiny screen with no second stick. Plus I'm just not a portable gaming fan. Guess I just have to skip this entry. Why it wasn't released on wii u is beyond me.

Top Bottom