• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX coming to Switch

Raide

Just thinking from Capcom side, they port bunch of platforms but this only to Switch really? I mean porting same game to PC and PS4 wouldnt cost that much would it?

Who really knows. They reuse assets from one Generation version to the next, so nothing is stopping them doing a port for other system. Will they do it? Capcom don't really like to risk or step out of their comfort bubble but E3 might be different when MH5 gets talked about.

Airan

What is the reason this XX game doesnt come to other platforms like PC and PS4 if they want to expand their userbase in west.

Like what?

Lmao, XX would get lambasted for "2001 graphics" more than it already does from some of its hardcore fans (me included) if it were to be released outside of Nintendo consoles.

I'd rather wait for the rumored western MH or MH5 before port begging. It worries me a little that XX is being ported as that means Capcom will likely try to milk those low poly assets to death, but hopefully the JP market will shun MH5 if they keep those shitty models.

redcrayon

Yet he was saying that MH XX is the same as MH X that Capcom are making people buy the game a third time.
How are they forcing people who bought X and then XX on 3DS to buy XX again on Switch? I can't imagine many will do that if they've already rinsed G-rank on 3DS.

This is just a quick effort to tide people over 'till MH5 and tempt the fanbase to upgrade to Switch in advance.

Cerium

Just thinking from Capcom side, they port bunch of platforms but this only to Switch really? I mean porting same game to PC and PS4 wouldnt cost that much would it?

You spend way too much time being negative about consoles you claim to have no interest in.

Airan

There aren't enough websites for me to express my hype. It is off the fucking charts. I just need the Switches to come back in stock now...

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Interesting.
Im all for Monter Hunter Switch, just a shame its not a new generation. I'm feeling fatigue from 4 U and Generations. They're ace games, but don't know how much longer I can keep fighting the same old same old. Jet dragon and kinda new Diablos ain't gonna cut it, HD or not.

Kinsei

Banned
Interesting.
Im all for Monter Hunter Switch, just a shame its not a new generation. I'm feeling fatigue from 4 U and Generations. They're ace games, but don't know how much longer I can keep fighting the same old same old. Jet dragon and kinda new Diablos ain't gonna cut it, HD or not.

They're also a new bug but yeah. Fifth gen needs to get here fast since fourth gen is kinda boring nowadays.

Forkball

It's a shame they're going to cancel it once USFII fails to sell five million copies.

I wonder where the newest MH will go. I can see it being PS4/Switch. Really the bar is low when it comes to visuals in this franchise, so anything HD will blow socks off.

XaosWolf

Edit: People still claw? I every action game I played, I didn't need to _see_ the enemy to know the current position. Guess that's what you learn playing NG II and RE4-6.

I thought the claw would have been eliminated with a dedicated soft-lock/monster focus button.

I agree with you on the NGII and RE front too. Monsters are still pretty easy to anticipate and dodge even when off camera.

It worries me a little that XX is being ported as that means Capcom will likely try to milk those low poly assets to death, but hopefully the JP market will shun MH5 if they keep those shitty models.

My thoughts exactly. Hope they're not porting the engine to Switch so they can keep using it. =(

The most inevitable port of the year, but also one of the most interesting to follow. XX didn't exactly do as well as was expected (though it still ate almost every other release's lunch), possibly because of exhaustion with the series on 3DS. Will the Switch (heh) to HD - both in rendering and screen size - be enough to tap into what one presumes is latent demand for a new title, or it will just do decent sales that at least justify any expense in porting it?

And since this signals the transition of the main series and 'main' spinoffs to the Switch, how's it gonna look? Will it look mostly comparable to 3 Ultimate on the Wii U, or will it be more along the lines of Frontier Z (which admittedly is itself a port, albeit from a higher baseline)? Will it be the best Monster Hunter has ever looked, or will it mostly be serviceable?

Generations was incredibly easy and I doubt this game will change that. It shouldn't be too daunting.

Generations is easy if you have played a bunch of Monster (I solo'd the entire online componenet).

If you've never played the series it's likely going to be challanginh

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
They're also a new bug but yeah. Fifth gen needs to get here fast since fourth gen is kinda boring nowadays.

Just saw the bug dude, never realised it was announced. The game kinda dropped off my radar due to being an expansion but damn, he looks pretty cool.
What are the chances of them adding a few more new 'uns in the Switch version? Hell, I'd just settle for finally being able to fight a Pokaradon. Love it's design.

latest

Mupod

I'll probably pick up a switch around Splatoon 2's release then. I missed out on the first game despite owning a Wii U.

This will be my first MH game. Looks daunting, but at least I can see what's going on this time.

It's not too intimidating these days. The early quests are easy, there's a ton of youtube resources available, and MH-gaf will fall all over itself trying to help you.

Not gonna lie that there is a learning curve though. Nothing plays like MH.

Anteo

Let's try this again.

1) Leave the "Monster Hunter for PS4" speculation out of this thread. Gets folks riled up.

2) Calm down.

3) We frown upon port-begging. Speculation about a completely different game isn't quite port-begging, but it is annoying, hence the first message.

4) You don't want gaming mods to go hard as hell on port-begging, especially in regards to the Switch. Relax. If you have a problem, point it towards a mod. Even if I don't handle gaming side, I can pass it to another mod who will.

ALL-NEW #5 For SWITCH

5) This is your Maginot Line. Don't talk about MH for PS4. Don't talk about MH for PS4 being dumb, smart, or any form in-between! Don't talk about others talking about!

Guys just a reminder this happened yesterday in this thread.

Mupod

So when do we get it? :p Yes, I am of the impatient type. Never played a MH.

the turnaround on Generations' localization was about 8 months, I think?

But this game technically came out in March, so it's possible that localization work has already started. At least that's what I'm hoping.

But this game technically came out in March, so it's possible that localization work has already started. At least that's what I'm hoping.

this should be a global release

im hoping they started on localizing the switch immediately after generations

ParityBit

So a chance for the Holidays? That's not bad if it happens! Thanks :)

Ancirawr

This will be my first MH game. Looks daunting, but at least I can see what's going on this time.
Me too! I have been waiting for one to get announced for Switch so I could try the series. I've been wondering if this will be a good jumping on point though :) Super pumped honestly.

Dingens

like clockwork every time a "new" monster hunter game is announced for a Nintendo console, it's guaranteed that some gamers will turn into the most pathetic version of themselves imaginable.

This ps4 port begging throughout the thread is just embarrassing.
With the 3DS, the argument for why it should be on PS3/Vita/PS4 was about hardware power, now the argument apparently shifted to sales potential... Moving the goalpost, real classy. Just admit that you want to play the game on your platform instead of using stupid straw-man arguments. Oh, right, you can't, because that would be port begging and a ban-able offence

wrowa

To be fair, PC ports are usually aimed solely at the western markets. Even if XX is coming to PC - which I doubt, but who can say for certain - it's something that would be announced at a later date.

opricnik

Banned
like clockwork every time a "new" monster hunter game is announced for a Nintendo console, it's guaranteed that some gamers will turn into the most pathetic version of themselves imaginable.

With the 3DS, the argument for why it should be on PS3/Vita/PS4 was about hardware power, now the argument apparently shifted to sales potential... Moving the goalpost, real classy. Just admit that you want to play the game on your platform instead of using stupid straw-man arguments. Oh, right, you can't, because that would be port begging and a ban-able offence

woah what a nightmare devilish dudes they must be wanting a series to go multiplatform which always was.
they should burn in deep hell right? who cares if capcom said they want to bring to broader multiplatforms it all must be portbeggin

Wamb0wneD

woah what a nightmare devilish dudes they must be wanting a series to go multiplatform which always was.
they should burn in deep hell right? who cares if capcom said they want to bring to broader multiplatforms it all must be portbeggin

What at the bolded? No matter what capcom said, this isn't a thread about a possible MonHun 5 on PS4, it's a thread about XX coming to Switch. Stop derailing every MH thread with this shit. You can still talk about how shitty this game looks without mentioning PS4 all the damn time.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
What at the bolded? No matter what capcom said, this isn't a thread about a possible MonHun 5 on PS4, stop derailing every MH thread with this shit.
So we are suddenly ignoring Monster Hunter Frontier which has been ported to many systems including the PS4? and we are ignoring the recent Monster Hunter Online that's on PC for Asian markets? Or the many Mobile games? Just because a game isn't out on your region doesn't suddenly make the franchise exclusive to Nintendo hardware.

You should read the mod warnings in this thread about starting up this conversation if you want to talk about bannable offenses. Better not to engage.

Top Bottom