• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Disney Release dates: Frozen 2 set for 11/27/19. Lion King on 7/19/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Presumably related to the Star Wars announcement:

https://twitter.com/giteshpandya?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

EDIT 3: More from Variety: http://variety.com/2017/film/news/lion-king-frozen-2-indiana-jones-5-release-dates-1202395212/

Disney dated a slew of films on Tuesday, including ”Star Wars: Episode IX," the live-action ”Lion King" reboot, and ”Frozen 2." It also moved the release dates for ”Indiana Jones," ”Wreck-It Ralph 2," ”Wrinkle in Time," and others.

Here's the studio's full release schedule.

UNTITLED DISNEY FAIRY TALE (Live Action) previously dated on 7/28/17 moves to 8/3/18

RALPH BREAKS THE INTERNET: WRECK-IT RALPH 2 (3D) is final title of previous WRECK-IT RALPH SEQUEL – previously dated on 3/9/18 moves to 11/21/18

A WRINKLE IN TIME (3D) previously dated on 4/6/18 moves to 3/9/18

MAGIC CAMP is final title of previous UNTITLED DISNEY LIVE ACTION – previously dated on 8/3/18 now moves up to 4/6/18

GIGANTIC (3D) previously dated on 11/21/18 moves to 11/25/20

STAR WARS: EPISODE IX (3D) now dated on 5/24/19

UNTITLED INDIANA JONES previously dated on 7/19/19 moves to 7/10/20

THE LION KING (Live Action) (3D) now dated on 7/19/19

UNTITLED DISNEY LIVE ACTION now dated on 8/9/19

FROZEN 2 (3D) is the updated title of previous UNTITLED DISNEY ANIMATION – previously announced date of 11/27/19 is unchanged

UNTITLED DISNEY LIVE ACTION now dated on 4/3/20

UNTITLED MARVEL (3D) previously dated on 7/10/20 moves to 8/7/20

UNTITLED DISNEY ANIMATION (3D) previously dated on 11/25/20 moves to 11/24/21

UNTITLED DISNEY LIVE ACTION now dated on 3/12/21

UNTITLED PIXAR ANIMATION (3D) now dated on 6/18/21

EDIT 4: Deadline has a PDF listing Disney's 2017-2021 release schedule as it stands today. 2020 and 2021 are fairly preliminary still, and there are placeholders everywhere.

https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/disney-release-calendar-wm.pdf

Code:
2017 Films
5/5/17 GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2 (3D)
5/26/17 PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES (3D)
6/16/17 CARS 3 (3D)
11/3/17 THOR: RAGNAROK (3D)
11/22/17 COCO (3D)
12/15/17 STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (3D)

2018 Films
2/16/18 BLACK PANTHER (3D)
3/9/18 A WRINKLE IN TIME (3D)
4/6/18 MAGIC CAMP
5/4/18 AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (3D)
5/25/18 UNTITLED HAN SOLO STAR WARS ANTHOLOGY FILM (3D)
6/15/18 THE INCREDIBLES 2 (3D)
7/6/18 ANT-MAN AND THE WASP (3D)
8/3/18 UNTITLED DISNEY FAIRY TALE (Live Action)
11/2/18 MULAN (Live Action) (3D)
11/21/18 RALPH BREAKS THE INTERNET: WRECK-IT RALPH 2 (3D)
12/25/18 MARY POPPINS RETURNS

2019 Films
3/8/19 CAPTAIN MARVEL (3D)
3/29/19 UNTITLED DISNEY FAIRY TALE (Live Action)
4/12/19 UNTITLED DISNEYTOON STUDIOS
5/3/19 UNTITLED AVENGERS (3D)
5/24/19 STAR WARS: EPISODE IX (3D)
6/21/19 TOY STORY 4 (3D)
7/19/19 THE LION KING (Live Action) (3D)
8/9/19 UNTITLED DISNEY LIVE ACTION
11/8/19 UNTITLED DISNEY FAIRY TALE (Live Action)
11/27/19 FROZEN 2 (3D)
12/20/19 UNTITLED DISNEY FAIRY TALE (Live Action)

2020 Films
3/13/20 UNTITLED PIXAR ANIMATION (3D)
4/3/20 UNTITLED DISNEY LIVE ACTION
5/1/20 UNTITLED MARVEL (3D)
6/19/20 UNTITLED PIXAR ANIMATION (3D)
7/10/20 UNTITLED INDIANA JONES
8/7/20 UNTITLED MARVEL (3D)
11/6/20 UNTITLED MARVEL (3D)
11/25/20 GIGANTIC (3D)

2021 Films
3/12/21 UNTITLED DISNEY LIVE ACTION
6/18/21 UNTITLED PIXAR ANIMATION (3D)
Wed 11/24/21 UNTITLED DISNEY ANIMATION (3D)

Gigantic has also been moved to Thanksgiving 2020.

This was the Jack and the Beanstalk adaptation.
gigantic_first_look_still.jpg

SpaceWolf

Banned
Stunned we haven't got a Frozen sequel sooner.

I would have thought Disney would have wanted to get on that as soon as humanely possible.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Tell that to Dreamworks.
I don't think Disney is looking to repeat DreamWorks Animation's box office grosses.

Disney's lineup is so filled with huge blockbusters that they can easily afford to take their time on Frozen 2 and make sure it's done right. They'll be making plenty of money off the property in the meantime with all the offshoots anyway.

kswiston

I threw Disney's tentative 2019 schedule, and torre_avenue's Gigantic post in the OP.

I will add whatever else pops up in the near future.

So, for those three other live-action fairytale films, I'd venture that Disney is looking at Cruella De Ville, Mulan, and either Maleficent 2 or the Enchanted sequel that's supposed to be in production to fill those slots.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I don't think Disney is looking to repeat DreamWorks Animation's box office grosses.

Disney's lineup is so filled with huge blockbusters that they can easily afford to take their time on Frozen 2 and make sure it's done right. They'll be making plenty of money off the property in the meantime with all the offshoots anyway.

This is certainly perfectly true. For the record, I'm not advocating that Disney follows Dreamworks business strategies, just that I'm surprised it's taken them a relatively long while to kick the sequel into gear, given that Frozen's target audience of young girls will likely have grown a lot older in the interim and as such might grow less interested.

Then again, I guess that factor hasn't stopped Cars from being a ridiculously profitable franchise...

Busty

Banned
To think that just two of Disney's bigger releases (Star Wars and Frozen 2) in 2019 alone, could, globally outgross everything that a smaller studio puts out is absolutely bonkers and really shows how quickly the studio system is evolving right before our eyes.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
To think that just two of Disney's bigger releases (Star Wars and Frozen 2) in 2019 alone, could, globally outgross everything that a smaller studio puts out is absolutely bonkers and really shows how quickly the studio system is evolving right before our eyes.

I would add Lion King in that as well. Those 3 are gonna be fucking huge.

Shit. Has it been six years? I thought the first Frozen took 5 years to make anyway.

It's only been like ~3 1/2 years since it came out, but by the time Frozen 2 is out in 2 more years it will have been that long. Either way, I think it's a reasonable amount of time. It's like they are hurting for cash so they may as well take as long as they want to get it right.

Pachimari

I would add Lion King in that as well. Those 3 are gonna be fucking huge.
Avengers 4 is gonna be pretty huge too I would say.

CassSept

Episode IX, live-action Lion King and Frozen 2 all in 2019.

Lmao.

It's totally ludicrous and they still have Toy Story 4 set for 2019.

E: Avengers too, jesus.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This is certainly perfectly true. For the record, I'm not advocating that Disney follows Dreamworks business strategies, just that I'm surprised it's taken them a relatively long while to kick the sequel into gear, given that Frozen's target audience of young girls will likely have grown a lot older in the interim and as such might grow less interested.
I think it's really just a matter of knowing they have the slate to allow them to not rush. Also, unlike Cars, the original was a critical hit and popular with children and adults alike. There's more of a legacy to protect here. They've got a Frozen-related holiday special coming up along with the Broadway play, which will be huge. They can do a lot with the franchise before needing a sequel to please shareholders.

Toothless

Still not seeing Lion King topping B+TB's current run. With that July release, it seems Disney is in agreement with me. Cool,

kswiston

Way more date shuffling than Star Wars and the films in the title:

From Variety (also added to the OP): http://variety.com/2017/film/news/lion-king-frozen-2-indiana-jones-5-release-dates-1202395212/

Disney dated a slew of films on Tuesday, including ”Star Wars: Episode IX," the live-action ”Lion King" reboot, and ”Frozen 2." It also moved the release dates for ”Indiana Jones," ”Wreck-It Ralph 2," ”Wrinkle in Time," and others.

Here's the studio's full release schedule.

UNTITLED DISNEY FAIRY TALE (Live Action) previously dated on 7/28/17 moves to 8/3/18

RALPH BREAKS THE INTERNET: WRECK-IT RALPH 2 (3D) is final title of previous WRECK-IT RALPH SEQUEL – previously dated on 3/9/18 moves to 11/21/18

A WRINKLE IN TIME (3D) previously dated on 4/6/18 moves to 3/9/18

MAGIC CAMP is final title of previous UNTITLED DISNEY LIVE ACTION – previously dated on 8/3/18 now moves up to 4/6/18

GIGANTIC (3D) previously dated on 11/21/18 moves to 11/25/20

STAR WARS: EPISODE IX (3D) now dated on 5/24/19

UNTITLED INDIANA JONES previously dated on 7/19/19 moves to 7/10/20

THE LION KING (Live Action) (3D) now dated on 7/19/19

UNTITLED DISNEY LIVE ACTION now dated on 8/9/19

FROZEN 2 (3D) is the updated title of previous UNTITLED DISNEY ANIMATION – previously announced date of 11/27/19 is unchanged

UNTITLED DISNEY LIVE ACTION now dated on 4/3/20

UNTITLED MARVEL (3D) previously dated on 7/10/20 moves to 8/7/20

UNTITLED DISNEY ANIMATION (3D) previously dated on 11/25/20 moves to 11/24/21

UNTITLED DISNEY LIVE ACTION now dated on 3/12/21

UNTITLED PIXAR ANIMATION (3D) now dated on 6/18/21

kswiston

What's magic camp?

wiki said:
Magic Camp is an upcoming American comedy family film directed by Mark Waters and written by Steve Martin, Dan Gregor, and Doug Mand. The film stars Adam DeVine, Jeffrey Tambor, Gillian Jacobs, Nathaniel McIntyre, J.J. Totah and Cole Sand. The film is scheduled to be released on April 6, 2018.

It follows Andy (Devine), who, at the urging of his former mentor and Magic Camp owner Roy Preston (Tambor), returns to the camp of his youth hoping to reignite his career. Instead, he finds inspiration in his ragtag bunch of rookie magicians.

EDIT: Looks like it is by the Freaky Friday team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom