• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Disney Release dates: Frozen 2 set for 11/27/19. Lion King on 7/19/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

I'm down with that. I was afraid it was gonna be regular actors when I read live action :p

Hopefully they'll try to nail the very colourful artsyle of the original film :)

Live action means that they will actually shoot film involving "live action" backgrounds. They will probably also do some rigging and mo-cap for one or more of the CGI characters.

It won't be a cartoon per se, but it will be 120-140 minutes of effect shots.

RocknRola

Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2 in the same year.

Battle for the animated box office crown will be fierce.

Disney wins.

Not really much of a "battle" when Disney wins, every single year :p

Incredible how they have Star Wars + Marvel + their own animation films. Each of those are massive money makers on their own.

RocknRola

Live action means that they will actually shoot film involving "live action" backgrounds. They will probably also do some rigging and mo-cap for one or more of the CGI characters.

It won't be a cartoon per se, but it will be 120-140 minutes of effect shots.

See, but that's.....weird. Like Tarzan, Jungle Book and the like? Actually make sense for that. There are actual Humans in those stories, so the ultra realistic animals kinda feel "natural". The ultra realistic animals on their own? Dunno. Could work of course, but since my only point of reference is the OG film my head is having a hard time making it work.

kswiston

http://www.laughingplace.com/w/news...illy-eichner-reportedly-talks-join-lion-king/

I like Seth Rogen but....I feel bad for Ernie Sabella if true. He has voiced Pumbaa in just about everything.

I think that keeping JEJ for Mufasa is already pushing things. The film should have to justify its existence. We don't need to exact same Lion King, down to the voice cast, 25 years later in "live action". Some new takes on the characters would be nice, even if I don't really see Seth Rogen as Pumbaa at the moment.

BumRush

Staying fairly conservative with my predictions, I get close to $7B off of Captain Marvel, Avengers 4, Star Wars Ep 9, Toy Story 4, The Lion King, and Frozen 2. Higher if Avengers and Star Wars see a bit of a boost that the ends of major stories often see.

That's not even figuring in all of those placeholder dates.

If a studio was ever going to challenge $10B WW in a single year, Disney's 2019 is the year to do that.

I expect lower though, unless one of the fairy tale films is indeed Aladdin, and the rest of those placeholders release to decent money.

Could you imagine $10B from ONE studio (especially a studio that will release 6-10 movies that year)??

You thinking something like:

Captain Marvel: $500M
Avengers 4: $1.3B
Star Wars Ep 9: $1.7B
Toy Story 4: $1B
The Lion King: $1.5B
Frozen 2: $1.5B

TEJ

I think that keeping JEJ for Mufasa is already pushing things. The film should have to justify its existence. We don't need to exact same Lion King, down to the voice cast, 25 years later in "live action". Some new takes on the characters would be nice, even if I don't really see Seth Rogen as Pumbaa at the moment.

True.

I'm hoping for Viola Davis as Sarabi. My original fancast for the remake had Denzel as Mufasa and Idris Elba as Scar but I realized that he already voiced shere khan.

Farsi

Could you imagine $10B from ONE studio (especially a studio that will release 6-10 movies that year)??

Disney bringing people back to the movie theater. That summer is going to be insane.

Ithil

"Live action", they keep saying this for The Lion King, but I can't imagine any of it will wind up being live action. Even the Savannah environments, I can't imagine they won't just do digitally.

kswiston

I had the same numbers you list for Cap Marvel, Avengers, and Toy Story in that rough tally. I put Lion King a tad above BatB's gross for now ($1.25B) and dropped Frozen to $1B. I think that Star Wars will be at least $100 higher than that on the lower end as well. I expect a it of a bounce back from wherever The Last Jedi Lands since this is the end cap of the trilogy.

Overseas exchange rates could easily shift things $750M-1B north of that if the USD weakens against world currencies though. The rates are terrible right now.

Blader

"Live action", they keep saying this for The Lion King, but I can't imagine any of it will wind up being live action. Even the Savannah environments, I can't imagine they won't just do digitally.

Probably more accurate to say "photorealistic CGI Lion King."

TheXbox

When does Episode IX start shooting? With a May release date it seems like Trevorrow has substantially less time for post-production than Johnson. By the time TLJ releases, it will have had a full year-and-a-half of post.

BumRush

I had the same numbers you list for Cap Marvel, Avengers, and Toy Story in that rough tally. I put Lion King a tad above BatB's gross for now ($1.25B) and dropped Frozen to $1B. I think that Star Wars will be at least $100 higher than that on the lower end as well. I expect a it of a bounce back from wherever The Last Jedi Lands since this is the end cap of the trilogy.

Overseas exchange rates could easily shift things $750M-1B north of that if the USD weakens against world currencies though. The rates are terrible right now.

So we're pretty much aligned. I honestly don't see Frozen 2 doing less than $1.3B+ though
in Japan alone

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
When does Episode IX start shooting? With a May release date it seems like Trevorrow has substantially less time for post-production than Johnson. By the time TLJ releases, it will have had a full year-and-a-half of post.

I think this summer.

kswiston

So we're pretty much aligned. I honestly don't see Frozen 2 doing less than $1.3B+ though
in Japan alone

I wanted to undershoot most films rather than overshoot. Frozen would have been $1.1B at today's exchange, and I didn't want to take a guess at how its legacy will play into things. Japan has a tendency to not be as excited about sequels (not counting sequels with huge time gaps), which might also play into things. Somewhere over $1B is locked though.

It starts shooting in July I think. They will have to wrap up in time for the actors to do their TLJ press tours. So it will probably be pretty close to 1.5 years in post production.

UberTag

Disney is going to DESTROY in 2019 based on that sched.
Every other studio should just position their big-budget blockbusters away from that year.

Frozen 2. That explains it then.

I thought Star Wars was a good fit for December but the change back to May prevents having to deal with Avatar (whatever year that may be).

Tom Nook

2019 Films
3/8/19 CAPTAIN MARVEL (3D)
3/29/19 UNTITLED DISNEY FAIRY TALE (Live Action)
4/12/19 UNTITLED DISNEYTOON STUDIOS
5/3/19 UNTITLED AVENGERS (3D)
5/24/19 STAR WARS: EPISODE IX (3D)
6/21/19 TOY STORY 4 (3D)
7/19/19 THE LION KING (Live Action) (3D)
8/9/19 UNTITLED DISNEY LIVE ACTION
11/8/19 UNTITLED DISNEY FAIRY TALE (Live Action)
11/27/19 FROZEN 2 (3D)
12/20/19 UNTITLED DISNEY FAIRY TALE (Live Action)

Holy Shit at 2019!

Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2.....

oh yeah, there's also Captain Marvel and this small film called Star Wars.

Cipherr

Gigantic has also been moved to Thanksgiving 2020.
gigantic_first_look_still.jpg
This was the Jack and the Beanstalk adaptation.

I've been waiting for this since this image first came out. And now its pushed to fucking 2020. Seething over here.

Holy Shit at 2019!

Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2.....

oh yeah, there's also Captain Marvel and this small film called Star Wars.

Yeah that year is packed as hell. Some of those unnamed live actions are gonna get moved Ill bet. To space out those releases a bit.

JSevere

in the next two years, Disney's treating us to Black Panther, A Wrinkle in Time from Ava DuVernay, Avengers: Infinity War, Phil Lord and Chris Miller's Han Solo movie, The Incredibles 2, Wreck-It Ralph 2, Captain Marvel, Avengers 4, Star Wars Episode IX, Toy Story 4, The Lion King, and Frozen 2.

we eatin

TheChamp

Going to guess one of the Pixar untiled films is Inside Out 2..... and one of the Disney Animation untitled films is Zoototpia 2

2019 awards Best Animation could be one of the best.... Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2 already without the untitles stuff and other studios (pretty sure HTTYD3 is this year)

Burbeting

Banned
GIGANTIC (3D) previously dated on 11/21/18 moves to 11/25/20

That's a 2 year delay. I wonder if the production is in trouble.

Mathieran

Banned
The problem with Frozen 2 taking so long is that all the kids that loved it when it came out will be tweens when it comes out. My daughter has already moved on, and when this comes out she will be that age where it's not cool to like so called kid things. But we will see I guess.

Edit: I don't doubt it will be successful, but I don't know if it will be the huge pop culture phenomenon that the first frozen was. Plus it will be hard to recapture Let It Go, although I'm sure they will try. Moana tried but it didn't succeed in achieving the same level of success. I never heard any of Moana's music on the radio.

kswiston

The problem with Frozen 2 taking so long is that all the kids that loved it when it came out will be tweens when it comes out. My daughter has already moved on, and when this comes out she will be that age where it's not cool to like so called kid things. But we will see I guess.

Every little girl since then has also watched Frozen. My daughter is 3. I have seen Frozen probably 50 times.

Plus, teens just transition to using those Disney films as date movies.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Every little girl since then has also watched Frozen. My daughter is 3. I have seen Frozen probably 50 times.

Plus, teens just transition to using those Disney films as date movies.

My nieces will massacre my house and their houses respectively whenever Frozen 2 come out on Blu-Ray

Let it Go! at the moment has me PTSD, trying my best to turn them into Tangled or Moana, Nope Elsa please!

Y U Do Diss Disney!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom