• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Disney Release dates: Frozen 2 set for 11/27/19. Lion King on 7/19/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you imagine $10B from ONE studio (especially a studio that will release 6-10 movies that year)??

You thinking something like:

Captain Marvel: $500M
Avengers 4: $1.3B
Star Wars Ep 9: $1.7B
Toy Story 4: $1B
The Lion King: $1.5B
Frozen 2: $1.5B

Who wins the Toy/merchandise crown?

I'm really curious what the untitled DisneyToon Studios project is.

For those who don't know, DisneyToon is an Australian-based studio that used to make those crummy direct-to-video sequels. Since Lasseter took over, they've been turned into a factory devoted to pumping out the Tinker Bell and Planes movies, so it's interesting they're suddenly being scheduled for a theatrical release (although I think Planes was theatrical, come to think of it).

Lasseter said when he first came on he was interested in bringing back 2D animation at Disney, but Princess and the Frog performing below expectations seemed to kill that idea. I've always thought it might not be a bad idea to let DisneyToon start producing theatrical, hand-drawn films as a way to fill that void. Some of their latter films actually looked pretty good (Cinderella III is gorgeous), and a lot of the Disney sequels were terrible because they were built around fundamentally stupid premises and geared specifically towards younger audiences. I think if you got some good storymen over there they could probably come up with something decent.

All just speculation, it could very well just be another Planes movie or something equally insipid, just feels like a waste.

Could you imagine $10B from ONE studio (especially a studio that will release 6-10 movies that year)??

You thinking something like:

Captain Marvel: $500M
Avengers 4: $1.3B
Star Wars Ep 9: $1.7B
Toy Story 4: $1B
The Lion King: $1.5B
Frozen 2: $1.5B

I'm very curious how Captain Marvel will do. WW will give us a good look on how the market reacts to a female super hero lead, though I think WW already has way more name recognition than Captain Marvel to the mainstream, both in the US and overseas.

Who wins the Toy/merchandise crown?

Star Wars and Frozen 2 will fight it out for the top spot.
Avengers/Cap Marvel will probably be 3rd
Lion King and Toy Story 4 will fight for the scraps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom