• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More next gen file sizes 'shrinking' | 2K21 weighs in at 122GB

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: Reddit
PlayStation doesn't have a file size listed on the app or store yet but we can assume 3rd party is likely to be the same

rtaxut0krxx51.png

It also had a 25GB day one patch for the current gen.

Both next-gen consoles should have shipped with a 2 tb drive and the series s with a 1 tb. Microsoft and Sony should have sucked up the cost. It's a fucking joke the size of some of these games.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Who needs more then 3 games installed
i actually rarely ever have more than 3 games installed. i got through this generation just fine on a 500GB drive. i download and play one game at a time. when i'm done i uninstall it. the only game that stayed on my HDD for a significant amount of time was Bloodborne cause I always jumped into it now and then.

i think i'd get through this generation just fine with the 512GB drive on the Series S but I'm getting a PS5/Series X so it's no problem at all.
Both next-gen consoles should have shipped with a 2 tb drive and the series s with a 1 tb. Microsoft and Sony should have sucked up the cost. It's a fucking joke the size of some of these games.
if you think Sony/Microsoft are gonna eat the cost of a larger SSD then you obviously have no idea WTF you're talking about.

the SSD is most definitely the most expensive component in these consoles. nevermind the CPU, GPU, RAM.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
i actually rarely ever have more than 3 games installed. i got through this generation just fine on a 500GB drive. i download and play one game at a time. when i'm done i uninstall it. the only game that stayed on my HDD for a significant amount of time was Bloodborne cause I always jumped into it now and then.

yeah would be fine for me too usally just have destiny 2 and one or two other games installed at any time.

if you think Sony/Microsoft are gonna eat the cost of a larger SSD then you obviously have no idea WTF you're talking about.

the SSD is most definitely the most expensive component in these consoles. nevermind the CPU, GPU, RAM.
[/QUOTE]
I don't care. If either had shipped with a 2tb drive then that would have swayed me into buying it over the other. I know the drives are expensive. No idea what I am talking about? Shut up mate.

MastaKiiLA

That was actually unexpected. I wonder if the ballooning of file size has to do with the open-world streetball mode. Not sure how I feel about that, TBH. This will likely be the biggest game I purchase for my PS5.

Birdo

Banned
More and more reasons to bring back carts in the future.

Basically sell games on SSD (The size of the game) that plug into a slot on the console.

No matter the price. Get back to the Neo-Geo days!

Glad I'm waiting for at least one revision. I understand the technical reasons for moving to SSDs, but when your system can only contain a dozen games -- a problem we haven't had since the days of 20GB PS3 and snap-on 360 hard drives -- then you've sacrificed too much QoL.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Can’t believe you gonna end up holding more games on the XSS then on the PS5

Stuart360

Never going to happen, not with the prices involved. You have to remember that a larger SSD is not needed, it would be nice, it would be helpful, but its not a necessity for the console to work, and for people to play games.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
There are basically 3 paths to reducing file-size. (1) Lossless de/compression, for code chunks and assets that need to be preserved 1:1. (2) Lossy compression, ideal for textures and multimedia elements like video and audio. (3) Reduction/elimination of duplicated assets. This is the main beneficiary of using a SSD, but of course the impact of this depends greatly on the style of game. Open world titles that need to access a pool of assets too large to fit into memory and instead stream them in as needed being helped massively, but if there's just a lot of dense, discrete content, gains are much less noteworthy.

There is no magic fix. Especially as while lossy de/comp can offer high ratios on bulky source data, there is a quality cost to the end result.

Top Bottom