• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Harmful Drinks in America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Vox-Pop said:
I used to drink nothing but water until I discovered coke zero and squirt.
I googled squirt to see what it was. BIG mistake. I used to drink soda all the time, but I just one day quit. Definitely for the better. Also kidney stones.
9UTBB.jpg

I do not plan to ever pass one.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
The amount of diluted sugar in all of those things is disjusting.

65g-90g of sugar in nearly all of those drinks. America is addicted to sugar!!

WTF, nearly 160g of sugar in the no.1 drink and 2000 calories.

10. Worst Lemonade

Auntie Anne’s Wild Cherry Lemonade Mixer (32 fl oz)
470 calories
0 g fat
110 g sugars

Sugar Equivalent: 11 bowls of Cookie Crisp cereal

There is no such thing as healthy lemonade, but Auntie’s line of Lemonade Mixers takes the concept of hyper-sweetened juice and stretches it to dangerous new levels.

..............followed by:

Drink This Instead!

Diet Lemonade (21 fl oz)
:lol

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
industrian said:

I... are you... what the... when did... christ in heaven, what the fuck is going on in this picture? My mind is blown out of my head so hard it went around the world and landed the fuck back in my skull. You've got to be kidding here.

navanman said:
The amount of diluted sugar in all of those things is disjusting.

65g-90g of sugar in nearly all of those drinks. America is addicted to sugar!!

WTF, nearly 160g of sugar in the no.1 drink and 2000 calories.

Its hard to even find breakfast cereal that doesn't have a ton of sugar in it in America. I've been eating Shredded Wheat every day for two months, because I can't find any other cereal in a regular grocery store that isn't full of sugar. (And theres no way I'm shopping in some fruity health food store.)

Schrade

Alfarif said:
I... are you... what the... when did... christ in heaven, what the fuck is going on in this picture? My mind is blown out of my head so hard it went around the world and landed the fuck back in my skull. You've got to be kidding here.
It's most likely a convenience to accomodate older folks. Of course that won't stop lazy people from using it.

DogWelder

Trent Strong said:
Its hard to even find breakfast cereal that doesn't have a ton of sugar in it in America. I've been eating Shredded Wheat every day for two months, because I can't find any other cereal in a regular grocery store that isn't full of sugar. (And theres no way I'm shopping in some fruity health food store.)
There are plenty. They taste like ass though.

Schrade said:
It's most likely a convenience to accomodate older folks. Of course that won't stop lazy people from using it.
Not that I object any sort of measure to make accessibility better for older or disabled people, I think that if you managed to get in the mall by yourself, a six step stairs isn't going to kill you. The elevator really does look (and is) ridiculous. A ramp for wheel chairs is far more important. I hope they got one of those.

JDeluis

cabot said:
as someone who is overweight and loves to eat:

fucking gross. all those pictures look disgusting.

give me soda and i'm set :)

I think its time we have an official "I'm overweight and so what official thread."

I'm tired of reading about all the skinny losers and their salads and water on GAF.

:D

Trent Strong said:
But what if I just eat one of those Cold Stone PB&Cs and nothing else throughout the entire day? Then it wouldn't be harmful. It'd be just fine.

You'd probably get fat. There's malnourished people who are overweight and they're getting far below the recommended daily caloric supply.

17.jpg

That looks so good. It is now my duty to get a milkshake next time I'm out. Haven't had one in a long time.

The sugar comparisons really aren't that fair, though, especially since the foods they compare it with have more than sugar in them that makes eating 30 of them unhealthy.

New Haven Sandstorm said:
You'd probably get fat. There's malnourished people who are overweight and they're getting far below the recommended daily caloric supply.

I've heard this argument many times in food related GAF threads, but I still don't believe it. IMHO, unless they have some rare glandular problem, all that matters weight-wise is calories in vs. calories out.

Guys... I wasn't kidding about Kansas water.

Over long periods of time it can lead to not only genital deformities, but also a feminization of physical sexual characteristics. Turns ya into a clit dick is what I be sayin'. You drink that stuff and risk your penis and testes at your own peril.

DominoKid

this is funny cause in our dorm vending machines we have
18. Rockstar Energy Drinks
17. Starbucks bottle frapuccinos
16. Sunkist

and i'm also not ashamed to admit that i've crushed a whole pack of oreos in 1 sitting. pretty sure thats more than 41 right. i'm not fat, i just dont pay attention when i eat snacks like that

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Niblet said:
Same here + a cup of green tea daily. The huge impact beverages have on your health is not worth it.
I wish I could drink green tea, if only I could get used to the taste. Damn near kills me.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Damn, I'd probably be compelled to drink a few of those things on a daily basis to put on some weight...if it wasn't for the fact that all that sugar might give me diabetes. :/

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
That shit should come with a warning label or something. Some of those are half of your caloric intake for the day, never mind the fat and sugar content. Luckily I hate chocolate, coffee and alcohol, so I would never touch one of these. Water + smoothies all the way.

Do American school kids get taught the basics of nutrition and dietary needs/limits?

Ushojax said:
Do American school kids get taught the basics of nutrition and dietary needs/limits?
Yep, but as American's we feel it's perfectly within our rights, to do whatever the fuck we want with our bodies.

One thing we do is pump absurd amounts of HFCS and plain old sugar into our systems. Another is dangerously high levels of sodium.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Seriously though, if I drank one of those Coldstone drinks (no. 1 on the list) every day for say, only 2 months, how likely am I to becoming a diabetic?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Thunder Monkey said:
One thing we do is pump absurd amounts of HFCS and plain old sugar into our systems. Another is dangerously high levels of sodium.

What is the labelling like on food over there? In the UK, the vast majority of supermarkets put clear labels on the front of the product that show calorie content/carbs/fat/sat. fat/salt etc as both a raw figure and a percentage of GDA. Some even have a traffic light system for people too stupid to understand that you shouldn't eat a ready meal that has over 100% of your saturated fat for the day.

I know I pay attention to those, but it seems like the vast majority just don't give a fuck. It's like those studies that show people smoke more when informed of the health risks from smoking.

Oblivion said:
Seriously though, if I drank one of those Coldstone drinks (no. 1 on the list) every day for say, only 2 months, how likely am I to becoming a diabetic?

Very. The combination of ridiculously high sugar, saturated fat (it's more than double your daily allowance for sat fat alone!) and calories (unless the drink is all you consume every day, you are going to get fat) means it will almost certainly contribute to type II diabetes onset, though probably not within 2 months.

Oblivion said:
Wiki is cool for random stuff like this.

Lifestyle

A number of lifestyle factors are known to be important to the development of type 2 diabetes. In one study, those who had high levels of physical activity, a healthy diet, did not smoke, and consumed alcohol in moderation had an 82% lower rate of diabetes. When a normal weight was included the rate was 89% lower. In this study a healthy diet was defined as one high in fiber, with a high polyunsaturated to saturated fat ratio, and a lower mean glycemic index.[15] Obesity has been found to contribute to approximately 55% type 2 diabetes,[16] and decreasing consumption of saturated fats and trans fatty acids while replacing them with unsaturated fats may decrease the risk.[14] The increased rate of childhood obesity in between the 1960s and 2000s is believed to have lead to the increase in type 2 diabetes in children and adolescents.[17]

Environmental toxins may contribute to recent increases in the rate of type 2 diabetes. A positive correlation has been found between the concentration in the urine of bisphenol A, a constituent of some plastics, and the incidence of type 2 diabetes.[18]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes#Causes

beje

Banned
2000kcal of pure sugar (a whole day worth of kcalories and around one week worth of kcalories coming from sugar in the diet of a healthy adult) for a fucking milkshake holy fucking jesus, that would be soooo forbidden in Europe it's not funny.

Then people wonder why the fuck do they have morbid obesity.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Ushojax said:
What is the labelling like on food over there? In the UK, the vast majority of supermarkets put clear labels on the front of the product that show calorie content/carbs/fat/sat. fat/salt etc as both a raw figure and a percentage of GDA. Some even have a traffic light system for people too stupid to understand that you shouldn't eat a ready meal that has over 100% of your saturated fat for the day.

Here is what European food labels look like:
Visual-Food-Label.jpg

Great system and make you think twice before you buy, eat certain foods.

Binabik15

Trent Strong said:
I've heard this argument many times in food related GAF threads, but I still don't believe it. IMHO, unless they have some rare glandular problem, all that matters weight-wise is calories in vs. calories out.

Ever heard of vitamins? Eat nothing but your recommended caloric intake in sugar for a month and your metabolism will fail. Not only because you lack vitamins that are essential for your metabolism to work, but fat and protein as well.

Not trying to stop you from tryinng it out yourself, though.

I have a very special person to show this list. Drink this Starbacks white chocolate garbage but asked me just yesterday if salt has calories. Oh god I hate her.

BitchTits

KHarvey16 said:
You see, I'm the kind of person who just looks at this as justification for eating 30 cookies.
:lol

I was thinking that too! One tasteless bucket of slop or 2 packets of cookies, hmmmm.... \o/

where is Barley Johns Rosies Ale?
it's one of the strongest(not THE strongest but anyway) beers in the world, so I think it must be killer in calories-way

Here is the full nutrition list of "Cold Stone" shakes.

Note that no shake has less than 1000 calories!
Note that no shake has less than 34g(!) of saturated fat!
Note that no shake has less than 92g(!) of sugar!

sidenote: look at the daily value of saturated fat on that list.
lowest = 170%
highest = 345% (!!)

holy fuck :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom