• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Harmful Drinks in America

Status
Not open for further replies.
iamaustrian said:
Here is the full nutrition list of "Cold Stone" shakes.

Note that no shake has less than 1000 calories!
Note that no shake has less than 34g(!) of saturated fat!
Note that no shake has less than 92g(!) of sugar!

sidenote: look at the daily value of saturated fat on that list.
lowest = 170%
highest = 345% (!!)

holy fuck :O

I wanna puke...

LosDaddie

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
20.jpg

#1. Cold Stone PB&C (Gotta Have it Size)

2,010 calories
131 g fat (68 g saturated)
153 g sugars

Sugar Equivalent: 30 Chewy Chips Ahoy Cookie

Well now I have to eat one.

Off topic, but looking at that picture has me thinking about how there are very few things in life better than chocolate chip cookies fresh from the oven. Nomnomnom.

TomServo

Lagspike_exe said:
I wanna puke...

I can't imagine anyone eats at Cold Stone and doesn't know what they're putting in their body. More like they just don't give a shit.

I go there a few times a year, get the smallest size (like it?) with something like birthday cake or peanut butter cup whatever. Shit is good. That said, how anyone could eat more than the smallest size is also beyond me.

I guess that's why I don't understand fat people.

HappyBivouac said:
Get that artificial-tasting shit outta here.

Both your Avy and your oppinions are awesome.

The beer comparison is just such bullshit too. Okay, the high carb count on the beer might come into play if you are on atkins, but if you are on atkins, why the fuck are you drinking beer?

But in terms of raw calories, it's only about 3x the calories for twice the alchohal. With how much better bigfoot is, I'll make that trade any day.

If you really must drink low calorie beer, at least drink a Guinness draft, for 30 more calories you get a lot more flavor than Michelob.

electricpirate said:
Both your Avy and your oppinions are awesome.

The beer comparison is just such bullshit too. Okay, the high carb count on the beer might come into play if you are on atkins, but if you are on atkins, why the fuck are you drinking beer?

But in terms of raw calories, it's only about 3x the calories for twice the alchohal. With how much better bigfoot is, I'll make that trade any day.

If you really must drink low calorie beer, at least drink a Guinness draft, for 30 more calories you get a lot more flavor than Michelob.

Indeed. Guinness is a great beer choice if you are looking for something "lighter" and still don't want to sacrifice flavor.

I don't like even the idea of light beer. If you are gonna drink a beer, drink a damn beer. I eat healthy so that I can afford to pound down doppelbocks and imperial stouts on the weekend. You only live once, as they say.

Shanadeus

Banned
Damn at those milkshakes, why can't they use aspartame or something instead of sugar?
And cut down on that fat dammit, with todays food science there shouldn't be any drinks with more then 100 kalories.

okay that beer:

15. Worst Beer
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot (1 bottle, 12 fl oz)

330 calories
0 g fat
32.1 g carbohydrates
9.6% alcohol

they say drink this instead:

Drink This Instead!

Leinenkugel’s Fireside Nut Brown Ale (1 bottle, 12 fl oz)

155 calories
13.4 g carbohydrates
4.9% alcohol

It has only half the cals and carbs but half the alcohol too! Which means you'd need twice as much of it to get drunk, so you're screwed either way!

Shiv47

240 grams of sugar in that Cosi drink?? Jesus Christ. Also, "Lobstertini" sounds completely disgusting regardless of what is actually in it.

ch0mp

Trans fat in a shake? I mean is it really necessary.

Trent Strong said:
I've heard this argument many times in food related GAF threads, but I still don't believe it. IMHO, unless they have some rare glandular problem, all that matters weight-wise is calories in vs. calories out.

You've heard of insulin right? :lol

jjasper

I really don't see the point of putting Big Foot on there. If I am going to go out and buy a higher alcohol content beer I really don't care if it is "harmful" to me because it has a lot of carbs.

beelzebozo said:
chips ahoy are some gross-ass cookies.

Hell yeah. They turn to dust in your mouth. WTF.

Lately, when I want to eat cookies, I buy "Chocolate Digestives." It's definitely a bit of a mistake with the name, as to me, it sounds like a laxative... but I'm sure it's named that for some reason...

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Fuck me.

I love the Coldstone PB&C shake, but that's terrible. Granted I would never get the largest one, but it doesn't seem to help all that much.

Ushojax said:
That shit should come with a warning label or something. Some of those are half of your caloric intake for the day, never mind the fat and sugar content. Luckily I hate chocolate, coffee and alcohol, so I would never touch one of these. Water + smoothies all the way.

Do American school kids get taught the basics of nutrition and dietary needs/limits?

Kind of...but the education is pretty spartan and isn't really consistently emphasized. Aside from college, my only recollection of a nutrition class comes from the 4th grade. Teaching 4th graders about this sort of thing is pretty ineffectual anyways; they're not going to listen. Parents are the ones who need to know this stuff but they're the least likely to learn.

ToxicAdam

beelzebozo said:
i'll have to try them, but i remain skeptical. i've never had a packaged chocolate chip cookie that was worth a shit.

Well, I should say that I was using other packaged chocolate chip cookies as a measuring stick. Nothing beats homemade or those you can buy in the bakery.

navanman said:
Here is what European food labels look like:
[]http://www.diabetic-dieting.com/images/Visual-Food-Label.jpg[/]

Great system and make you think twice before you buy, eat certain foods.

Not really. A good one would have been if it was 100 grams instead of a fucking serving.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
They all look delicious, just consider them desserts.

I have friend who drinks those big foots like water. Just bottle after bottle till he's tore up.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
ToxicAdam said:
Well, I should say that I was using other packaged chocolate chip cookies as a measuring stick. Nothing beats homemade or those you can buy in the bakery.

i think creating a packaged product that can hold the trademark chewiness and butteriness of a great chocolate chip cookie must be really tough, hence why it's so much easier to just make them at home or pick some up from a bakery, as you say. crisper cookies like oreos, stroopwaffles, nutter butters, fudge stripes, etc. have a place in my heart.

beelzebozo said:
i think creating a packaged product that can hold the trademark chewiness and butteriness of a great chocolate chip cookie must be really tough, hence why it's so much easier to just make them at home or pick some up from a bakery, as you say. crisper cookies like oreos, stroopwaffles, nutter butters, fudge stripes, etc. have a place in my heart.
Soft Batch cookies, try them.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
elrechazao said:
Soft Batch cookies, try them.

i have, man. i love keebler, but soft batch cookies are sort of sadness. they are elevated to passable by a trip to the microwave for fifteen seconds.

Manus

I'm glad I only drink coffee, Coke Zero, and water. After seeing this, I'm proud of what I drink now.

beelzebozo said:
i have, man. i love keebler, but soft batch cookies are sort of sadness. they are elevated to passable by a trip to the microwave for fifteen seconds.
They have this quality about them that makes me just eat a ton, even though they aren't amazing or anything. I love em and yet don't think they're that great if that makes any sense. :lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
elrechazao said:
They have this quality about them that makes me just eat a ton, even though they aren't amazing or anything. I love em and yet don't think they're that great if that makes any sense. :lol

i know exactly what you mean. straight up, i bought a package one day waiting for my girlfriend to get home and ate the whole thing.

. . . on an unrelated note, it didn't work out between us

andymcc

Banned
all sierra-nevada beers are pretty high in calories. i think they're worth it for the simple fact that they tend to taste better than most beer you can purchase at the supermarket. i'm not a big fan of the bigfoot ale, personally, but i do love torpedo.

iamaustrian said:

lowest = 170%
highest = 345% (!!)

Considering saturated fats aren't really bad for you, 92grams of sugar is still a fuckshit ton of carbs for just a drink

farnham

Banned
iamaustrian said:

lowest = 170%
highest = 345% (!!)

Hell Yeah

StoneCold_Steve_Austin.jpg

ToxicAdam

Guileless said:
What does PB & C stand for in that Coldstone shake? What does it taste like?

I would imagine Peanut Butter and Chocolate. Probably uses real peanut butter which is why the fat/calorie count is so jacked up.

Always baffles me that they can't simply bring up or note that you almost cut in half the fat/calorie content of most of these things by simply having them not put on the whip cream topping.

BattleMonkey said:
Always baffles me that they can't simply bring up or note that you almost cut in half the fat/calorie content of most of these things by simply having them not put on the whip cream topping.

Yeah because it's all about the dietary fat...

*points to sugar content*

nomster

BattleMonkey said:
Same thing applies with mayo on fast food sandwiches. Not quite half, but a significant portion.

But yeah, the sugar is the crazy part of these drinks.

hectorse said:
Yeah because it's all about the dietary fat...

*points to sugar content*

It is part of the problem. All of it combined is a problem. Fat content and calories are just as bad as sugar realy, it all adds up.

iamaustrian said:

lowest = 170%
highest = 345% (!!)

I can imagine what all that sugar does to you in one sitting. Wanna puke..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom