• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moto X |OT| Hello, Moto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecrofirt

I've pretty much confirmed it at this point, but *something* is causing my Moto X to nosedive once it hits 20% battery.

I'll start my day off at about 7:00AM with a full 100% charge. Throughout the course of the day I use my phone for Reddit (using the Reddit is Fun app with its dark theme) and Facebook. From 7AM - 5PM or so, the battery will drop to around 60%. If I've got work at night, it'll drop to around 20% by 10:30PM, even though I'm not using the phone much at all during work. When I get home at around 10:30PM, it'll notify me within a half hour or so that my battery is at 20%. From there, even if I have my screen off, and the phone sitting on a desk, it'll chirp within 5 minutes that it's down to 14%. From there it's about 5 minutes until it chirps that it's at 4%, even if the phone has been sitting unused the whole time.

I've got no idea what causes it, but I've noticed it a LOT since the 4.4.2 update. I've tried clearing my phone's cache (via a Motorola site recommendation), and that changed my battery usage so Android system was no longer the number 1 battery hog. I've tried re-calibrating my phone by letting it fully discharge a few times and then fully charging it again.

Nothing has helped it. Once 20% hits, my phone is toast.

thespot84

I've pretty much confirmed it at this point, but *something* is causing my Moto X to nosedive once it hits 20% battery.

I'll start my day off at about 7:00AM with a full 100% charge. Throughout the course of the day I use my phone for Reddit (using the Reddit is Fun app with its dark theme) and Facebook. From 7AM - 5PM or so, the battery will drop to around 60%. If I've got work at night, it'll drop to around 20% by 10:30PM, even though I'm not using the phone much at all during work. When I get home at around 10:30PM, it'll notify me within a half hour or so that my battery is at 20%. From there, even if I have my screen off, and the phone sitting on a desk, it'll chirp within 5 minutes that it's down to 14%. From there it's about 5 minutes until it chirps that it's at 4%, even if the phone has been sitting unused the whole time.

I've got no idea what causes it, but I've noticed it a LOT since the 4.4.2 update. I've tried clearing my phone's cache (via a Motorola site recommendation), and that changed my battery usage so Android system was no longer the number 1 battery hog. I've tried re-calibrating my phone by letting it fully discharge a few times and then fully charging it again.

does it do it on weekends too? i'm curious if Assist thinks you're driving or something

Futureman

Yeah so the rumor is the moto x + 1could be coming late summer. I wonder what the specs will be. this probably means the moto x could have a reduced price soon.

This could be my next!

I'm mulling over keeping my unlimited data on Verizon and the the Moto X seems like the only option under $600. $339 Moto X w/ their EDU pricing. But yea, gotta wait and see the X+1.

3phemeral

It seems to do it 7 days a week. I can quite literally be on Reddit for hours and have less battery drain than when it hits 20%.

I wouldn't really know where to start. Have you tried using something like BatteryGuru for SnapDragon processors? I know it's not going to be an immediate battery calibration thing, but maybe if you had some other app monitoring your phone's usage patterns, you might get a feel for what it is that could be causing it. Since it's at 20%, it seems to be a setting that may be tweaked incorrectly that enables everything after it reaches that percentage, when it should be freezing services. Try resetting Motorola's battery saver or disabling/replacing it to see if it makes a difference.

kehs

Banned
Install one of those battery watcher thingies and run it for a couple of days.

It'll tell you the battery draw per app/process.

Fatalah

This could be my next!

I'm mulling over keeping my unlimited data on Verizon and the the Moto X seems like the only option under $600. $339 Moto X w/ their EDU pricing. But yea, gotta wait and see the X+1.

If Motorola is on the same release schedule as last year, the X+1 might be out by late Aug.

Since we already have a leaked logo for the X+1, and the pending Lenovo acquisition, maybe launch is being fast tracked.

Cutreman

Neo Member
Well, about to get one renewing my contract. Here in Spain arrived on February, so general opinion is "Worse than a Nexus 5 but more expensive. Don't buy.", but I need to replace my Ace 2 and it is the best deal on my company. I have checked some reviews but I need you guys to sell it to me. Is a good phone? A good upgrade from my previous phone? Any tip for a new user? Thanks!

NotBacon

Maybe that 4.4.2 battery drain bug?

Heads up folks... Moto X is $299 today from Motorola.

I'm tempted to jump on this deal. Can anyone shine any light on Motorola providing Android updates? Will the Moto X get the next Android version?

thespot84

Heads up folks... Moto X is $299 today from Motorola.

I'm tempted to jump on this deal. Can anyone shine any light on Motorola providing Android updates? Will the Moto X get the next Android version?

i read yesterday it's getting 4.4.3. as for 5.0 my gut feeling is yes but i've not seen anything one way or another

Dazzla

I jump in and out of Android every now and again, last phone was a note 3.

I've been eyeing a Moto X for a while now, just to play with, so I've been watching them on eBay. A few days ago I picked up a mint boxed, unlocked one for £170 which is a bit of a bargain here I thought.

For comparison I've had a Nexus 5, Note 3, Note 2, Xperia Z, Galaxy Nexus.

I love the Moto X far more than any I've owned and any I've tried. The screen is a sweet spot for me, easily usable in one hand. I love active display, although I wish it was a little bit more functional like AcDisplay. The camera quality in good light is more than adequate, up there with my iPhone 5. Low light is not great compared to my Lumia 920, bit of a weak spot. The speed of the camera is good though, my priority is quick snaps of my 2 year old and 6 week old. The 1520 and 1020 I used were too slow to start the camera, focus and snap. Too many missed moments. The quality is a trade off I'll take right now.

The battery life so far has been great as well, easily lasting a day, usually at around 30% after 15 hours. That's pushing multiple email accounts all day, around an hour of podcasts, reading the news and web, few photos, screen on 100% brightness.

The phone is pretty slippery, that's the only downside I have for the form factor. The build quality seems pretty good to me.

I'm super happy with this, I'm super interested about the X+1, just unsure about the screen size of 5.2".

I jump in and out of Android every now and again, last phone was a note 3.

I've been eyeing a Moto X for a while now, just to play with, so I've been watching them on eBay. A few days ago I picked up a mint boxed, unlocked one for £170 which is a bit of a bargain here I thought.

For comparison I've had a Nexus 5, Note 3, Note 2, Xperia Z, Galaxy Nexus.

I love the Moto X far more than any I've owned and any I've tried. The screen is a sweet spot for me, easily usable in one hand. I love active display, although I wish it was a little bit more functional like AcDisplay. The camera quality in good light is more than adequate, up there with my iPhone 5. Low light is not great compared to my Lumia 920, bit of a weak spot. The speed of the camera is good though, my priority is quick snaps of my 2 year old and 6 week old. The 1520 and 1020 I used were too slow to start the camera, focus and snap. Too many missed moments. The quality is a trade off I'll take right now.

The battery life so far has been great as well, easily lasting a day, usually at around 30% after 15 hours. That's pushing multiple email accounts all day, around an hour of podcasts, reading the news and web, few photos, screen on 100% brightness.

The phone is pretty slippery, that's the only downside I have for the form factor. The build quality seems pretty good to me.

I'm super happy with this, I'm super interested about the X+1, just unsure about the screen size of 5.2".

Do you really prefer the Moto X over the Nexus 5?

I just can't like a phone without stock Android.

northead

The Moto X runs pretty much stock Android with a few apps and tweaks that are actually useful, although if you're into custom ROMs (and you should) there's nothing that comes even close to a Nexus.

HTC's HD2, maybe.

thespot84

i went from a galaxy nexus, first stock then with a variety of ROMs, to the moto X, and it's the best experience I've had thus far. It looks and feels like stock at every turn, and the non-stock features act like apps (like assist, for example) so it's wonderfully integrated. The only reason I could see going for one or the other (nexus 5 or moto x) is hand size and active display, honestly. Everything else is roughly equal IMO

i went from a galaxy nexus, first stock then with a variety of ROMs, to the moto X, and it's the best experience I've had thus far. It looks and feels like stock at every turn, and the non-stock features act like apps (like assist, for example) so it's wonderfully integrated. The only reason I could see going for one or the other (nexus 5 or moto x) is hand size and active display, honestly. Everything else is roughly equal IMO

I'm in love with my Nexus 5.

But I'm gonna be honest here. Active Display is one of the greatest things I have ever heard. Same with Trusted Bluetooth Devices. I have never used a Moto X, but those two features seems to be awesome.

Dang it. I wish Motorola would drop these one day sales and just drop the price to $299 for the Moto X. I missed the sale! :( I was about to buy TWO!

3phemeral

Most definitely. I'm certain the Nexus 5 is a vast improvement over the Nexus, but after also coming from the Nexus to the Moto X, this is the longest I've gone with stock I can remember. Not only that, but I see no reason to change. Plus, Touchless Control has been invaluable during the winter and just in general. I'm hoping it gets the next Android update.

The only thing I've missed since sticking with stock is the ability to wirelessly tether all my computers to my Nexus. That's probably what killed my extended battery. That thing would run so hot, I'd have to place it in a baggy and dip it in ice to get it to charge. I now use it as a gym mp3 player/diet tracker/alarm clock so I don't drain the battery on my Moto X for no reason, even though battery life is fine.

thespot84

Most definitely. I'm certain the Nexus 5 is a vast improvement over the Nexus, but after also coming from the Nexus to the Moto X, this is the longest I've gone with stock I can remember. Not only that, but I see no reason to change. Plus, Touchless Control has been invaluable during the winter and just in general. I'm hoping it gets the next Android update.

The only thing I've missed since sticking with stock is the ability to wirelessly tether all my computers to my Nexus. That's probably what killed my extended battery. That thing would run so hot, I'd have to place it in a baggy and dip it in ice to get it to charge. I now use it as a gym mp3 player/diet tracker/alarm clock so I don't drain the battery on my Moto X for no reason, even though battery life is fine.

what do you mean regarding tether? I have tethering that works near the same as my gnex did...

3phemeral

what do you mean regarding tether? I have tethering that works near the same as my gnex did...

I should have clarified: I didn't have a tethering subscription when I had my Nexus, but having a custom ROM allowed me to circumvent that. But I learned my lesson after I killed two batteries from an overheating always-on phone and decided not to put my Moto X through that.

So it's not a Nexus vs Moto X but more of a Custom+no subscription vs Stock+subscription.

Red

Any hype for the X+1 coming out soon? Despite my problems with it I would still take the Moto X over any other Android phone, and the X+1 looks even better. Motorola is doing good things.

WillyFive

Any hype for the X+1 coming out soon? Despite my problems with it I would still take the Moto X over any othe Android phone, and the X+1 looks even better. Motorola is doing good things.

Well, I'm not going to get a new phone barely a year after I got the Moto X, but it would be cool to see what it's like regardless.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Any hype for the X+1 coming out soon? Despite my problems with it I would still take the Moto X over any other Android phone, and the X+1 looks even better. Motorola is doing good things.

I'm more hyped for Android L on the Moto X. My moto x is the perfect size phone for me and mainly the reason I bought it. I was pretty disappointed to see that the x+1 was considerably bigger. I know that's what the market wants though.

Red

I'm more hyped for Android L on the Moto X. My moto x is the perfect size phone for me and mainly the reason I bought it. I was pretty disappointed to see that the x+1 was considerably bigger. I know that's what the market wants though.
The leaks make the screen look significantly bigger without a huge increase in the size of the handset. I am with you in 4.7" being a good size, but as always am cautiously optimistic about future changes.

What I'm most excited about are build quality and material improvements. Aluminum sides on the X+1 look far better than the plastic sides of the X. The back button with possible gesture input also has me interested.

Fatalah

Very hyped to see what Motorola brings to the table on Thursday. Latest rumor is the name will be "the new Moto X".

I will most likely hang onto my 2013 Moto X, but I'm looking forward to any feature updates coming my way, outside of Android L.

firen

By the time the refreshed Moto X is in carrier stores and on Moto Maker later this month, it’ll be going up against an all-new Apple threat — but this might just be the strongest competitor Android has ever put up. Game on.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/5/6108473/the-new-moto-x-could-be-the-best-android-phone-ever-made

LAK8gJt.jpg

WillyFive

That looks like a perfect successor. Only disappointment is that it's still using Super AMOLED like the original, which is prone to burn in; but I suppose that's the only way the notifications would even work.

Red

That looks like a perfect successor. Only disappointment is that it's still using Super AMOLED like the original, which is prone to burn in; but I suppose that's the only way the notifications would even work.
I don't like SAMOLED either, but they'd have to compromise the whole active notification system without it.

This phone looks really good. Makes me wish others would follow Moto's lead. Two years ago I would never have imagined I'd be saying that.

Love my X, but might wait on this one. The camera is the shittiest thing about this phone, and it looks like they only upped the resolution on it this time, unless I read it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom