• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS Dances Around 1080p Support: IGN Interview

mood

Onix said:
Okay ... then something else should be listed to imply it is unknown whether it is supported (regardless of resolution).

Heh, but its not applicable to the chart yet ;) Im sure it would be updated when something is announced.

JB1981 said:
But it certainly won't take 1080p that long. Like I said before, 720p was and is a stop-gap resolution. By the time both of these consoles hit their stride 1080p will be everywhere.

That's all fine, but by then, most games on both console will be still in the 720p neighborhood instead of 1080p neighborhood. 1080p TVs will be in force much earlier than the games. 1080p is really meant for XBox1080 and PS4. :p

Raistlin

bill0527 said:
This week's Best Buy ad has 30 TVs listed in it. 4 of which are advertised as 1080p televisions with prices ranging from $2799-$3499.

A quick browse of the Circuit City ad shows 47 TVs listed - 4 of which are 1080p with prices ranging from $2499-$3499.

That's hardly 1/4th of all new HDTVs.

720p was first introduced back in 2003 I believe and it has taken 720p a good 3 years to get to mass market pricing.

Note ... KLee was referring to new TV's ... ie. 2007 models (it's like cars, some are already out now).

Obviously stores still have stock plenty of stock from 2006 (and some earlier) models.

This is a bit of a nitpick ... the more relevant point is what percenatge of TV's in stores will be 1080p when PS3 starts hitting the mainstream. It will be VERY significant.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
JB1981 said:
VGA has the same problem. It's not something that appears on a lot of TVs. And very, very rarely accepts 1080p unless it's a PC monitor, which usually don't appear often in peoples' living rooms.

VGA is currently found on far more TV sets than HDMI. Of course, far more 1080p TV sets have HDMI than have VGA.

This shit is confusing and the combination of that and the retarded manchild haters popping in to smear their feces on it will ensure the topic never ever goes away. It also serves to demonstrate that hanging ANY claim of eventual victory on that single feature is borderline retarded. People DON'T GET IT. They do not and cannot understand the vagaries of this technology.

This is a bit of a nitpick ... the more relevant point is what percenatge of TV's in stores will be 1080p when PS3 starts hitting the mainstream. It will be VERY significant.

A far more significant number is how many 1080p TVs are in people's homes. This Xmas is a wash of course, but let's say by next Xmas. It's still going to be a tiny number.

bill0527

SnakeXs said:
Because he threw ****ing shit like goddamnd transfer speeds at a ****ing rep, that's why. These are people meant to simply say 1080p is good, we can do it. They don't know the ****ing internal transfer speeds of the h ardware. Jesus christ, the ****ing shady agendas are really goddamned annoying. And they're ****ing transparent, at that.

Yeah my take on the article was that they were simply talking to whoever was manning the phones at the time, and not somebody that was technically versed - Much like the Joystiq article that quoted Shane Kim when he gave out incorrect information. They need to be asking the technical people these questions because the PR staff, Executives, and the call center clerks have no idea about this stuff.

sado

Y'know, things break...
Shogmaster said:
WTF, dude? We went over this like a million time in other threads! Just because IGN is dumb as bricks and can't ask the right question doesn't mean we have to retread this dead horse here YET AGAIN.

Thank you

Please stop these threads already.

Miburou said:
Off topic, but my TV doesn't have VGA, but it does have component (and DVI-D). Can I use a VGA-to-component converter together with the Xbox 360 VGA cable to watch up-scaled DVD movies on my Xbox 360?

Such transcoders if they exist will be mucho expensive. Buying a stand alone HD-DVD player with HDMI might be cheaper.

JB1981

Shogmaster said:
That's all fine, but by then, most games on both console will be still in the 720p neighborhood instead of 1080p neighborhood. 1080p TVs will be in force much earlier than the games. 1080p is really meant for XBox1080 and PS4. :p

Yeah, all those PS3 launch games running in 1080p native are the result of Sony strong-arming. Once launch is over and they've used up the bullet point Sony will downrez everything to 720p, amirite, Shog? I swear you're the most disingenuous ****ing debater here.

Raistlin

Stinkles said:
VGA is currently found on far more TV sets than HDMI. Of course, far more 1080p TV sets have HDMI than have VGA.

This shit is confusing and the combination of that and the retarded manchild haters popping in to smear their feces on it will ensure the topic never ever goes away. It also serves to demonstrate that hanging ANY claim of eventual victory on that single feature is borderline retarded. People DON'T GET IT. They do not and cannot understand the vagaries of this technology.

Far more? I suppose that may be true of TV's currently in peoples homes (probably still not 'far more' though).

However, many of those do not accept 1080p ... so it's kind of moot.

A far more significant number is how many 1080p TVs are in people's homes. This Xmas is a wash of course, but let's say by next Xmas. It's still going to be a tiny number.

What of year 3 for PS3? Year 4? Year 5? etc.?

I think it will be a relevant enough amount to be well beyond a niche market.

Where are the Wii specs in that chart? I know it doesn't do HD so does that mean 480i is the best it can do or can it it do 480p?

JB1981

Stinkles said:

People DON'T GET IT. They do not and cannot understand the vagaries of this technology.

You obviously don't either.

Stinkles said:

True. I can see the advantage of VGA when playing a DVD as that is the only allowable upscaling, but for consumer sets that do 1080p, I'm not sure that they accept 1080p over VGA, in which case, you're better off doing 720p/1080i through the component cables.

I just don't see VGA helping out much in this particular situation for HD-DVD.

JB1981 said:
Yeah, all those PS3 launch games running in 1080p native are the result of Sony strong-arming. Once launch is over and they've used up the bullet point Sony will downrez everything to 720p, amirite, Shog? I swear you're the most disingenuous ****ing debater here.

As console development wears on, the desire to push more complex FXs overcome any pursuit of marketing bulletpoint. Maintaining 1080p is gonna be problem for both machines is alot of complex shaders are used. That last sentence is pretty much fact.

Oh and Pot kettle black. :lol

JB1981

Stinkles said:
Actually, yes I do.

Well, if you do, then you shouldn't be saying that there are far more 1080p-capable VGA inputs available on TV sets today than HDMI. 'Cause that is simply and utterly false.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Mrbob said:
Wait about 6-12 months.

To be fair 1080P sets are really just starting to hit the market in mass scale.

Considering TVs are a yearl business, I doubt that. I don't foresee there being a gigantic swing this January, when most TVs for the year are done/announced, and they'll be in stores around summer/Fall of 07.

That said, 720p and 1080i aren't stop gaps. They're here for good. Broadcast TV ain't changing. It's still a premium "feature". It will be defacto in a long time, as 720p and 1080i both scale wonderfully to it, and people who watch plenty of movies (once next gen format war ends and start moving) will want to get the most out of their expensive media player and media format.

Blah.

sangreal

JB1981 said:
Well, if you do, then you shouldn't be saying that there are far more 1080p-capable VGA inputs available on TV sets today than HDMI. 'Cause that is simply and utterly false.

You have a serious ****ing lack of reading comprehension ability.

stinkles said:
GA is currently found on far more TV sets than HDMI. Of course, far more 1080p TV sets have HDMI than have VGA.

Stinkles

JB1981 said:

Stinkles said:
Of course, far more 1080p TV sets have HDMI than have VGA.

1. LEARN TO READ
2. Ask Sony for a paycheck.
3. Stop starting flamefest threads.

mood

JB1981 said:

He didnt say that man. You need to slow down :)

SnakeXs said:
That said, 720p and 1080i aren't stop gaps. They're here for good. Broadcast TV ain't changing. It's still a premium "feature". It will be defacto in a long time, as 720p and 1080i both scale wonderfully to it, and people who watch plenty of movies (once next gen format war ends and start moving) will want to get the most out of their expensive media player and media format.

Blah.

This is a good point. I work for Bell Canada and the cost/trouble of trying to display a 1080p feed really isn't feasible at the moment....especially with the cabling out there.

1080p is pretty much for gaming and HD DVDs.

JB1981 said:

It's probably true for none 1080p HDTVs since HDMI is relatively new and VGA has been included in HDTVs for a while now. If it is still true, obviously it won't be true for too long.

But interesting thing is that in the biggest segment of HDTVs sold, which is direct view LCDs, 99% still carries VGA input.

JB1981

Stinkles said:
1. LEARN TO READ
2. Ask Sony for a paycheck.
3. Stop starting flamefest threads.

1. My bad about misreading.
2. You're the one on the payroll.
3. This thread turned into a flamefest when you guys showed up.

J-Rzez

I'm not getting into this based on 360's hardware... some things are questionable to me... but anyways, this is my qualm...

People... get with it... time isn't in freeze here until the next consoles come out: How you ask? Simple, there will be more and more 1080p HDTV's available, and available at a constantly lowering price... that is FACT...

It's called future proofing... it's called it's nice to know that when you get that new set within a couple years, you have a console to take advantage of it... Christ... You can't afford a set no matter what year? TS to you... I will work some extra hours need be to get one, and I'm sure lot's of others will be able to acquire one as well... So PO you wankers... I can't afford certain things but I don't bitch and moan while trashing it because I can't have it while others can... good for them! /rant...

shpankey

not an idiot
what is the ultimate point you all are trying to get to with this? that most gamers in the world are going to eventually have 1080p HDTV sets during this console generation? [and therefore the implication that it will be a major reason gamers chose the PS3 over 360].

cause if it's not ^^ that, then wtf are we even arguing FOR?

if it is that, then you're just out of your mind. hell, most gamers today don't even have progressive scan 480 sets. think of all the millions of gamers worldwide and how most of them don't even buy a console till it's $99 or less.

bill0527

JB1981 said:
I actually like to know how products are going to work before I decide to buy them. Getting official answers err, non-answers seems to be pretty relevant.

Like you were going to buy it anyway.

Anway, I'm done with this shitfest for tonight. This has been done to death over the last week. We know why this thread was started and it was not because you were interested in getting answers about a future purchase.

Raistlin

SnakeXs said:
Considering TVs are a yearl business, I doubt that. I don't foresee there being a gigantic swing this January, when most TVs for the year are done/announced, and they'll be in stores around summer/Fall of 07.

A percentage of every manufacturers 2007 line IS 1080p ... with some companies hitting around 50%

Blah.

They are a stop-gap in so far as the fact they WILL be relegated to a minority over the next few years ... and then a small minority later.

And note, 1080i TV's will practically gone soon (they almost already are) ... as they are CRT-based.

It is expected that most TV broadcasts will end up 1080i, since that offers better resolution (it is equivelent to 1080p @ 30fps) ... the new movie formats are 1080p ... and TV companies are known to be moving to 1080p as the standard.

Kittonwy

Banned
bill0527 said:
This week's Best Buy ad has 30 TVs listed in it. 4 of which are advertised as 1080p televisions with prices ranging from $2799-$3499.

A quick browse of the Circuit City ad shows 47 TVs listed - 4 of which are 1080p with prices ranging from $2499-$3499.

That's hardly 1/4th of all new HDTVs.

720p was first introduced back in 2003 I believe and it has taken 720p a good 3 years to get to mass market pricing.

2499-3499? That's pretty damn affordable for 1080p sets, I'm actually very surprised. I wonder if manufacturers will just go straight to 1080p for new models 40" and up, I don't even see the point for 720p except for old models or smaller TVs.

xaosslug

You know, for someone that thinks the subject of this thread is a "retread" you sure are racking up the posts, Shogmaster. :lol

I'm just saying... ;b

JB1981

bill0527 said:
Like you were going to buy it anyway.

Anway, I'm done with this shitfest for tonight. This has been done to death over the last week. We know why this thread was started and it was not because you were interested in getting answers about a future purchase.

I'm on my 2nd 360, TYVM. Secondly, HD-DVD kicks Blu-Rays ass right now and I am absolutely interested in the format. That said, I hate add-ons and wish MS would release a new system w/ an hd-dvd drive. If that happens, I'll sell my current 360 and just buy that.

sangreal

btw

http://www.displaysearch.com/press/pr-printer.html?id=933

1080p TV shipments for all TV technologies rose 42% Q/Q and over 1000% Y/Y to 331K units and a 1% share of the global TV market. On a revenue basis, 1080p TVs rose 36% Q/Q and 672% Y/Y to $1.1B and a 5% share. Japan led the way in 1080p penetration with 1080p TVs accounting for 17% of their Q2'06 TV revenues and 5% of unit shipments followed by North America with 1080p sets accounting for 7% of revenues and 2% of units. While Japan leads in 1080p penetration, North America led in 1080p shipments at over 160K units or a 49% share followed by Japan at over 100K units and a 32% share. By technology, LCDs rose from 53% to 58% of 1080p unit shipments with DLP overtaking LCOS with a 23% to 17% advantage and PDPs accounting for 1%. By brand on a unit basis worldwide, Sharp overtook Sony on the strength of its 37" and 45" LCD TV shipments and held a 27% share with Sony at 17%. On a revenue basis, Sony led with a 27% to 19% advantage due to its focus on larger sizes. By region on a unit basis, Sharp led in Japan, Sony was #1 in North America, Philips led in Europe, Hisense led in China and Samsung led in ROW.

1080p sure is taking the industry by storm

Stinkles

sonycowboy said:
True. I can see the advantage of VGA when playing a DVD as that is the only allowable upscaling, but for consumer sets that do 1080p, I'm not sure that they accept 1080p over VGA, in which case, you're better off doing 720p/1080i through the component cables.

I just don't see VGA helping out much in this particular situation for HD-DVD.

Samsung sets (and others) support up to 1900x1200 at 60hz for VGA. Not all sets do however, so you should check your manufacturer before using that as your solution. That's true for everyone actually. When you're picking a set, for whichever console, make sure it supports all the standards and cables that you need or want to use for your chosen system.

Shogmaster said:
As console development wears on, the desire to push more complex FXs overcome any pursuit of marketing bulletpoint. Maintaining 1080p is gonna be problem for both machines is alot of complex shaders are used. That last sentence is pretty much fact.

One of the many possibilities of an exception to your belief that 1080p won't be significant is the multiplatform game. If developers are working towards the lowest common denominator, which doesn't push ANY system as hard as they should be, it might be a free bump for them to enable 1080p. Tony Hawk is doing it, EA Skate is doing it, Army of Two, Virtua Fighter, etc.

By the by, didn't you tell us back at E3 2005, that maybe 5% of titles in the PS3's lifetime would be 1080p?

You also said (and weren't alone)

Shoggie Doggie said:
I can guarentee you that 1080p PS3 games will be far more rare than 480p PS2 games.

Mark Gonzales said:
It doesn't matter anyway. They won't be making any 1080p games native for the 360 anyway because of DVD-9.

This is quite true. This is also why no PC games currently do anything beyond 1280x720 as well. PC devs are desperately are waiting for BR and HD-DVD.

Raistlin

sangreal said:
btw

http://www.displaysearch.com/press/pr-printer.html?id=933

1080p sure is taking the industry by storm

:lol

Well duh ... they are just now starting to hit good price-points.

This forced prices down on lower-res sets (especially in the LCD/plasma market) ... so there were a lot of sales for older stock.

That doesn't change the fact that the trend is there, prices are continuing to come down, and that a higher and higher percentage of new TV's are 1080p.

People really need to stop with this short-term menality ... this generation is going to be around 5-6 years at least ... and won't even be mainstream for what ... 3?

Stinkles

Mark Gonzales said:
It doesn't matter anyway. They won't be making any 1080p games native for the 360 anyway because of DVD-9.

Oh my ****ing god. And with that, I am out of this thread because homeless people are pissing on themselves in it.

sonycowboy said:
One of the many possibilities of an exception to your belief that 1080p won't be significant is the multiplatform game. If developers are working towards the lowest common denominator, which doesn't push ANY system as hard as they should be, it might be a free bump for them to enable 1080p. Tony Hawk is doing it, EA Skate is doing it, Army of Two, Virtua Fighter, etc.

By the by, didn't you tell us back at E3 2005, that maybe 5% of titles in the PS3's lifetime would be 1080p?

You also said (and weren't alone)

I think that statement isn't necessarily false yet. ;)

Raistlin

Mark Gonzales said:

Actually ... I would argue the 360 architecture isn't as well-suited as the PS3's for 1080p ... but that's an entirely different can of worms.

J-Rzez

Kittonwy said:
2499-3499? That's pretty damn affordable for 1080p sets, I'm actually very surprised. I wonder if manufacturers will just go straight to 1080p for new models 40" and up, I don't even see the point for 720p except for old models or smaller TVs.

Exactly... most, as in most likely, HDTV's that are "coming out" soon, newer models, will have 1080p... why not? It's stupid not to have it... and you'll see that by those times come where SD signals are dropped, and ppl have to go out and get new HDTV's, they will pick up a set that's going to last them, as salesppl will say... and most likely, 1080p will be in it...

and yes... 1080p sets are becoming affordable... my next new entertainment room tv I get will be 1080p... why shouldn't it?

shpankey

not an idiot
Shogmaster said:
Mark Gonzales said:
This is quite true. This is also why no PC games currently do anything beyond 1280x720 as well. PC devs are desperately are waiting for BR and HD-DVD.
the ownage delivered here is just too awesome to not quote :lol well played shog, well played. :)

Heezzi

Banned
720p and 1080i will not be done for while based on the fact that HDTV is broadcasting using them as stardards... Only use that 1080p will possibly get is from either consoles or HD-DVD or BlueRay players.. Pretty much useless. In fact, at the moment, 720p HD is useless because there are only like 20 channels tops... (I only get 10 and 2 of those don't even show HD content just are capable.)

Top Bottom