• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS Dances Around 1080p Support: IGN Interview

Vaandaviii said:
And what avoids PS3 to use a VGA output apart from many people wishes?

How about no announcement from Sony at all? You want more practical? There are two ports on the PS3: HDMI and AV Multiport. HDMI is purely digital so no VGA there. AV Multiport looks exactly like the ones in PS2 so it probably also missing V and H sync pins necessary for VGA.

Also, I don't see why in the world Sony would bother to include VGA if they already spent the doe on HDMI port.

arne said:
man shoggy, I have to say, you have great handwriting... or am I just secretly jealous of your tablet pc (or drawing tablet)?

yes, quality late night observations from moi.

It's the TPC man. I have a horrible handwriting. If you ever run into the guys that developed INK for the TPC platform give them a high five from me. :lol

arne

Shogmaster said:
It's the TPC man. I have a horrible handwriting. If you ever run into the guys that developed INK for the TPC platform give them a high five from me. :lol

lollerskates. well then I'm jealous of said tpc. i need one.

CraigMcD

Shogmaster said:
How about no announcement from Sony at all? You want more practical? There are two ports on the PS3: HDMI and AV Multiport. HDMI is purely digital so no VGA there. AV Multiport looks exactly like the ones in PS2 so it probably also missing V and H sync pins necessary for VGA.

Also, I don't see why in the world Sony would bother to include VGA if they already spent the doe on HDMI port.

Didn't the PS2 Linux kit include a VGA cable?

Needed sync on green. Although with Linux as an up front thing this time, maybe they'll fix that. Who knows. Who knew 360 could do 1080p through VGA? Who knew PS2 could do 480p? Or even, dare I risk the wrath of Shog, 1080i... :lol

Really looks like HDMI from the current 360 model isn't going to happen though. Reprogramming the analog chip for different video modes, clocks etc is one thing. Digital out is another. Obviously MS don't want to talk about a future model, in case it makes people wait, but at the same time they badly want to defuse the HDMI thing. Sometimes life is hard.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Just to make everybody happy. ;)

fixedhdmn8.jpg

Putting N/A on it like HDMI for 360 would suggest that it's not possible, which we really dont know yet. Fair enough? :)

Bad_Boy said:
Just to make everybody happy. ;)

Putting N/A on it like HDMI for 360 would suggest that it's not possible, which we really dont know yet. Fair enough? :)

if you're gonna do that, at least do a good job. :p

Bad_Boy said:
im not getting paid for the "job", i could care less about how well it's done. ;)

Well I do since it's my baby. :(

On a more serious note, does anyone know if the AV multi out on the PS3 is indeed the same 12 pin one as the PS2's? Because it seems like I was right: it's missing pins for H and V sync. It used sync-on-green, which only a few monitors supports (and I'm not sure if any HDTV's VGA port will support that).

Raistlin

Shogmaster said:
Well I do since it's my baby. :(

On a more serious note, does anyone know if the AV multi out on the PS3 is indeed the same 12 pin one as the PS2's? Because it seems like I was right: it's missing pins for H and V sync. It used sync-on-green, which only a few monitors supports (and I'm not sure if any HDTV's VGA port will support that).

Good question ...

... though the two people here that had the Linux kit and a also an HDTV with VGA (and actually discussed it) ... said that it DID work. I'm actually wondering if synch-on-green is more common on HDTV VGA.

Shawn

Banned
To those people who want/hope/wish Sony to release a VGA cable for PS3:

Why?

Why??

Why???

Why would you want to use a VGA cable for PS3 when HDMI offers superior picture quality output?

Is image quality not the most important thing to you?

(I ask because I used to be the biggest VGA Box whore around in the Dreamcast days, but now that HDMI exists I don't really care about VGA anymore.)

Shawn said:

Why?

Why??

Why???

Why would you want to use a VGA cable for PS3 when HDMI offers superior picture quality output?

(I ask because I used to be the biggest VGA Box whore around in the Dreamcast days, but now that HDMI exists I don't really care about VGA anymore.)

So those of us who don't own a big ass DLP or LCD can still get 1080p from small CRT/LCD computer monitors. I only own a 720p capable LCD TV, so if I want 1080p, I'm only going to get it from my CRT monitor which pushes 1920x1440 at its maximum resolution. I'd like the option to be available since I'm not going to have a 1080p TV anytime soon.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>Off topic, but my TV doesn't have VGA, but it does have component (and DVI-D). Can I use a VGA-to-component converter together with the Xbox 360 VGA cable to watch up-scaled DVD movies on my Xbox 360?

Such transcoders if they exist will be mucho expensive. Buying a stand alone HD-DVD player with HDMI might be cheaper.<<<

$99.99 at Fry's. I just bought one for my Dreamcast. It supports HD resolutions, because it was designed at a time when the most affordable settop HDTV decoder only had VGA out.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>To those people who want/hope/wish Sony to release a VGA cable for PS3:
Why?
Why??
Why???
(I ask because I used to be the biggest VGA Box whore around in the Dreamcast days, but now that HDMI exists I don't really care about VGA anymore.)<<<

Maybe they'd like to play on something like the Sony FW900? It's beautiful, and analog.
Or, more likely, they want to play on their existing monitor, which probably doesn't have DVI or HDMI, until they can afford to replace their current TV.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Shawn said:

Why?

Why??

Why???

Because most people in the USA don't have an HDTV and because most people in the US DO have a VGA monitor. It ain't hard.

I'm sure there will be a a VGA cable either from Sony or from a 3rd party almost immediately.

Joates

Banned
I dont know if this has been answered before, but has MS given a release date for the fall update that will incorporate 1080p over VGA?

Raistlin

Arde0 said:
For the people who want a VGA adapter...if you monitor has a DVI adapter couldnt you just used an HDMI to DVI adapter?

How many people have DVI on their monitors compared to VGA at this point?

HokieJoe

Onix said:
I don't want to really get into this again ... but I must ...

1080i/60 broadcasts, which make up the majority of HD TV content ... can only be resolved by a 1080p TV. '1080i' TV's don't exist. Those CRT's simply cannot resolve that resolution.

Furthermore, 1080p video at 30fps or less (in other words, video and movie content) can be be interlaced to 1080i60 ... and a 1080p display will de-interlace it, displaying the original progressive content.

Those are good points, and in theory I agree. However, let’s not overlook the fact that not all 1080p TV’s will excel at deinterlacing 1080i signals. Yes, most television content will be broadcast in 1080i, but what about ABC, Fox, ESPN, and SKY (Britain)? As I’m sure you know, they broadcast in 720p. How well will a given 1080p TV scale a 720p signal? Will they scale a 720p signal as well as a 720p TV can display it natively?

The fact is, having a 1080p TV isn’t necessarily a guarantee that 1080i/720p broadcast signals will look ‘better’ than a 720p, 1080i (as marketed), or 1366x768p TV. As I’m sure you’re aware, the scaler/deinterlacer is of paramount importance. Whether the set is 720p, 768p or 1080p, that scaler/deinterlacer will make all the difference in how ‘good’ any particular TV will look. Moreover, when you consider how many broadcast streams are bandwidth starved, you better hope that the macroblocking filter on your prospective 1080p TV is well adapted to the task. ;-)

My overarching point remains that 1080p TV’s will be more expensive on average, and they aren’t necessary to watch an HDTV broadcast in either 720p or 1080i. So I don’t see how their deinterlacing ability will be a significant selling point when they’ll undoubtedly cost more.

BTW, I know this response is belated, and the topic is dead; but I couldn’t leave your reply unvisited. :)

Top Bottom