• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS PR: 360 sold 67M consoles; $56 billion in sales, almost 50% market share

I don't see how 47% would be a US number when it's surrounded by worldwide figures. It's probably a percentage of total dollars spent including digital downloads, games and accessories (which would include Kinect). Maybe for just the last year.

Yeah, that makes the most sense. Pretty terrible PR though when you have to go through mental gymnastics to figure it out.

And I'm loving the RROD and Slim comments in here. Some people never learn, do they?

No matter how they spin it, it's pretty amazing what the 360 (and the Wii) have done this generation.

Basically two 'tied for last place' console makers last generation going up against a behemoth of a winner and leaving them absolutely in the dust in brand recognition and (at least for the Wii) sales. People say "xbox" and "wii" now when talking about videogames, it's not "playstation". That's the biggest change I've noticed.

Looking back it's so amazing how far MS has come. I remember people were predicting the 360 would get "dreamcasted" by the PS3 lol.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Blog post was updated:
Since 2005—when we launched Xbox 360—we have sold 67 million consoles and have generated more than $56 billion at retail, and we’re still going strong in our seventh year. With 47 percent share of the current-generation console market in the U.S., we are hitting our stride largely as a result of the success of Kinect for Xbox 360 (19 million sold worldwide) and the flood of new entertainment options through Xbox LIVE (40 million members worldwide).
Emphasis added.

I wish I could go back in time to 2005, when I was getting pushed around by all the Sony fans on the Playground (I was in sixth grade) telling me my 360 was crud and that next year the PS3 would be out and would totally crush the 360, and say "Hey little man. Don't worry. It's all going to turn out okay."

Definitely the best console I've ever owned.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Blog post was updated:
Emphasis added.

With the numbers posted in the thread, though, how in the world are they still coming up with 47%? Is this for just the past year?

This is a masterful piece of PR just for the fact that we all have to try and do research and math to figure it out. Most people who hear this won't do it.

It reminds me of politics where somebody can throw a garbage statement out there and half of America will believe it because they don't bother to look it up.

kinda disappointed in my 360 overall. hardware side i hate the fact that i need to keep buying new batteries for the controllers, having to buy a wifi adapter (at $100!), and it doesn't play bluray. i only had the RROD problem once and it got fixed fairly quickly. software side i don't like that its pay to play online. and it was only great for Gears and Mass Effect. and then Mass Effect went multiplat. not really that into Halo. what other high profile exclusives does it have?

its actually kinda weird to me how it does so well without many exclusives.

jvm

Gamasutra.
With the numbers posted in the thread, though, how in the world are they still coming up with 47%? Is this for just the past year?

This is a masterful piece of PR just for the fact that we all have to try and do research and math to figure it out. Most people who hear this won't do it.

It reminds me of politics where somebody can throw a garbage statement out there and half of America will believe it because they don't bother to look it up.
In the U.S., I estimate that Microsoft has over 50% of software revenue this year (on current-gen consoles, i.e. Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii) and over 40% of hardware units. Given their hardware ASP being greater than the PS3 and Wii ASPs, they might have close to 50% of the hardware revenue. I'd guess that their share of accessories -- based on Kinect sales -- is probably around 35% or more. But accessories is also a much smaller slice of the market.

I'd have to go back and check last year, but there you go.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
In the U.S., I estimate that Microsoft has over 50% of software revenue this year (on current-gen consoles, i.e. Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii) and over 40% of hardware units. Given their hardware ASP being greater than the PS3 and Wii ASPs, they might have close to 50% of the hardware revenue. I'd guess that their share of accessories -- based on Kinect sales -- is probably around 35% or more. But accessories is also a much smaller slice of the market.

I'd have to go back and check last year, but there you go.

Sounds about right--they just conveniently left out the "this past year" in their PR.

watership

Definitely the best console I've ever owned.

I loved and still loved my Colecovision, NES, Dreamcast, and and especially my PS2. But never have I used a gaming device more than my 360. It really came alive fast, watching my friends list and seeing what other people are playing, getting pulled into games via invites, party chat, all of it. The other consoles benefited too, with new features being pushed to keep up.

Great games, Xbox Live, achievements, XLBA, Music and Video functions, Dashboard updates (for some :p).

MS must be under lots of pressure to deliver a new console and ecosystem that's as compelling and futureproof for another 5+ years.

Fredrik

Lots of great current gen games, tons of other features like achievements, custom soundtracks, cross game chat, netflix and hulu, plus the biggest library of great games from the past. As far as consoles go nothing else is even close.
What about Wii?
Seriously, with Virtual Console Nintendo has forever cemented the Wii into gaming history as the king of retro gaming. I honestly had tears of nostalgic joy running down my cheeks the first time I plugged in an arcade stick and got to play a perfect version of the Commodore 64 masterpiece The Last Ninja :)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
OldJadedGamer said:
Crazy considering their last system was outsold by their competitor by over 100 million units.

And once again, the 40+ million PS2's Sony shipped since 360 launch are used as a negative, when they are empirically a positive.

Well done MS, but lets not overstate their achievement.

surly

Banned
Combined? No way. Even if you weren't saying combined, there's some question just between PS3 vs. 360. I assume you're including XBLA and the indie games.
Not PS3 and Wii combined.

If you count just truly exclusive disc-based games, the 360 has the most. If you include console exclusives and downloadable games, it has way more.

apana

I don't want to be a debbie downer. I'm impressed with their sales but they have sunk a lot of money into Xbox and third console curse is incoming. Don't laugh, it is real.

What about Wii?
Seriously, with Virtual Console Nintendo has forever cemented the Wii into gaming history as the king of retro gaming. I honestly had tears of nostalgic joy running down my cheeks the first time I plugged in an arcade stick and got to play a perfect version of the Commodore 64 masterpiece The Last Ninja :)

VC on the Wii is fantastic but the 360 has Radiant Silvergun and SotN, which are my 2 favorite games of all time on it. Plus the fact that 360 games get the HD treatment and achievements really adds a lot to me.

Best console this generation. The software (os) was forward-thinking and represents a bar that competitors still haven't matched.

I tip my hat. They made gaming social again and changed the industry.

The 360 has more exclusives than the PS3 and Wii.

no dude, just...no. I'm talking about full exclusive games that are on just one console, and PS3 has more than 360. but that wasn't really my point. my point was i feel like ps3 just has more high profile exclusives, or exclusives that interest me.

surly said:
As for having to buy batteries for the controllers, just buy a play and charge kit or rechargeable batteries.

thats still an extra peripheral/thing to buy. whereas on ps3 you just plug it into the system and it charges the controller for you. and there's only so many times you can recharge batteries.

Fredrik

VC on the Wii is fantastic but the 360 has Radiant Silvergun and SotN, which are my 2 favorite games of all time on it. Plus the fact that 360 games get the HD treatment and achievements really adds a lot to me.
I like those too but the Wii Virtual Console library is still insane in comparison. I think it holds well over 300 titles. Personally I've probably bought over 100 titles and I still have lots and lots of games I need to check out. My only fear is that this was a one time thing for Nintendo... and that they're locking it up on Wii and makes it impossible to transfer purchases over to WiiU. :/

thats still an extra peripheral/thing to buy. whereas on ps3 you just plug it into the system and it charges the controller for you. and there's only so many times you can recharge batteries.

meh. I think rechargable batteries are the better solution. they have the benefit of being used in other household devices when they're not fueling a controller and I found that they last longer than the plan-n-charge kit. that's worked for me for 7 or 8 years now and I've only replaced the batteries (like $10 a pack?) 3 times.

meh. I think rechargable batteries are the better solution. they have the benefit of being used in other household devices when they're not fueling a controller and I found that they last longer than the plan-n-charge kit. that's worked for me for 7 or 8 years now and I've only replaced the batteries (like $10 a pack?) 3 times.

well, we're gonna have to disagree i guess. i don't see how batteries vs no-batteries is a better solution at all. you still spent $30-$40 more than i did on batteries alone.

jcm

Not PS3 and Wii combined.

If you count just truly exclusive disc-based games, the 360 has the most. If you include console exclusives and downloadable games, it has way more.

Not that it matters, but there's no way this is true. The Wii has a shitload of shovelware exclusives.

Eusis

I can see it for PS3, if only because of the extra year of life for 360, but the technology gulf alone likely means more for the Wii. I'd like to see some hard numbers at any rate, though I imagine if you looked only in the last year or two you'd see there simply aren't that many.

well, we're gonna have to disagree i guess. i don't see how batteries vs no-batteries is a better solution at all. you still spent $30-$40 more than i did on batteries alone.

$40 dollars over 7 years? while also using those batteries in portable devices, hair clippers, remote controls, etc? I'm gonna say that's negligible at best. All while allowing my controller to last longer (as in, in between charges) on than my PS3 controllers. several days longer, actually.

$40 dollars over 7 years? while also using those batteries in portable devices, hair clippers, remote controls, etc? I'm gonna say that's negligible at best. All while allowing my controller to last longer (as in, in between charges) on than my PS3 controllers. several days longer, actually.

i have no idea why you're including household items >_>

i'm talking about battery use explicitly for the consoles. batteries vs no batteries. its really that simple. like i said we're gonna have to disagree, if you like using batteries more then thats great.

when your 360 controller runs (or is low on) out of charge, you have to either replace batteries to continue playing or wait to recharge the batteries. when your ps3 controller runs (or is low on) out of charge, you just plug it in to the console and keep playing.

Lebron

Nice turn around from the Xbox indeed. I've owned all three of the consoles at some point, but 360 is the only one I've kept around. Not knocking the other consoles, 360 just has everything I could ever want. MS deserves all their current success.

def sim

i have no idea why you're including household items >_>

i'm talking about battery use explicitly for the consoles. batteries vs no batteries. its really that simple. like i said we're gonna have to disagree, if you like using batteries more then thats great.

when your 360 controller runs (or is low on) out of charge, you have to either replace batteries to continue playing or wait to recharge the batteries. when your ps3 controller runs (or is low on) out of charge, you just plug it in to the console and keep playing.

Rechargeable batteries can be bought in packs of four and are reusable. There's no waiting at all and they last much, much longer.

The dude is right, having the option to use batteries in this context is simply better.

Rechargeable batteries can be bought in packs of four and are reusable. There's no waiting at all and they last much, much longer.

The dude is right, having the option to use batteries in this context is simply better.

wha...how? with ps3 controller you don't have to replace or buy anything.

Top Bottom