• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS PR: 360 sold 67M consoles; $56 billion in sales, almost 50% market share

def sim

wha...how? with ps3 controller you don't have to replace or buy anything.

I've had a PS3 since 2007 and have had to replace my controllers because the batteries lose charge overtime. The batteries in them aren't made of magic. Having the option to use either is better.

Satchel

Banned
Amazing effort from Nintendo and Microsoft to do what they've done off the platform they had to launch from.

The turn around from last gen to this gen has been staggering on so many levels.

wha...how? with ps3 controller you don't have to replace or buy anything.

I prefer regular batteries. I hate having to charge the controller, especially since the PS3 can't charge controllers if it isn't on. I find myself constantly playing with one of my 3 crappy defective Sixaxis controllers while I wait for my 1 Dual Shock 3 to charge.

I've had a PS3 since 2007 and have had to replace my controllers because the batteries lose charge overtime. The batteries in them aren't made of magic. Having the option to use either is better.

oh ok. i personally haven't had any problems with the controller, haven't had to change it at all.

I prefer regular batteries. I hate having to charge the controller, especially since the PS3 can't charge controllers if it isn't on. I find myself constantly playing with one of my 3 crappy defective Sixaxis controllers while I wait for my 1 Dual Shock 3 to charge.

can you not play with it while its charging/plugged in?

And once again, the 40+ million PS2's Sony shipped since 360 launch are used as a negative, when they are empirically a positive.

Well done MS, but lets not overstate their achievement.

So they were *only* outsold by 60 million units last gen and did a total turn around this gen? Lets not even get started about marketshare earned from last gen.

Darknight

No offence but its such backwards logic. Also you can hook up your PS3 controller to a USB hud or other type of outlet that provides USB in to recharge. I have a cable box with USB in. Watch TV n charge controller.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
oh ok. i personally haven't had any problems with the controller, haven't had to change it at all.

can you not play with it while its charging/plugged in?

The cord is too short.

Dunlop

No offence but its such backwards logic. Also you can hook up your PS3 controller to a USB hud or other type of outlet that provides USB in to recharge. I have a cable box with USB in. Watch TV n charge controller.

One of the batteries on my new controller died after about 2 months and would no longer hold a charge.

I called Sony to see my options as paying $55 and having it die so soon was not acceptable. Being from Canada, Sony's CSR have no clue whatsoever on what to do..I now have a controller that plugs into the PS3 from a long as USB cable when I need it

Option to change batteries FTW

Curufinwe

I use the USB port on my cable box to charge my second Dual Shock 3 and my Move & Nav Con. And I have an 8 foot USB cord plugged into the PS3 that I use to charge my main Dual Shock 3 so I can keep playing while it charges.

I prefer that to having a massive battery compartment sticking out of the back of the controller, and the play & charge kit that came with my Silver 360 controller works very poorly so I just use Duracell AAs.

Sydle

Go Xboss!

The numbers are impressive. 360 owners tend to double dip on consoles but it's still very impressive.

Didn't someone put this argument in the ground with the software attach rate? Pretty sure it's still above Sony's -- so if Xbox owners double dip they buy a shit-ton more software as a result.

It's very convenient, cable boxes, laptops, even Xboxes can charge a PS3 controller, it's great, I definitely prefer rechargeable over batteries as well.

McLovin

My launch sixaxis still holds a charge just fine. Strangly enough my 360 controllers rechargeable battery died within 6 months of buying from over charging(because the 360 is always charging). Regular batteries are a huge waste and they don't last very long. Not to mention how bad those things are for the environment. I ended up getting a wired controller(best option IMO).

McLovin

Go Xboss!

Didn't someone put this argument in the ground with the software attach rate? Pretty sure it's still above Sony's -- so if Xbox owners double dip they buy a shit-ton more software as a result.
I don't know what the reality is, I'm just going from what my friends do. My cousin has 3( only one works), others got a second one in case one rrods to minimize down time. That plus their super cheap now.

Sye d'Burns

Go Xboss!

The title of the thread is MS PR: 360 sold 67M consoles; $56 billion in sales, almost 50% market share.

I'm looking for the attach rate in that title and how it relates to the number of consoles sold. If MS wanted to brag about their attach rate they'd be more than within their rights to do so. They, however, are not. Instead, they're bragging about the number of consoles they have sold.

Help me out here. Explain to me how the attach rate relates to the number of consoles sold specifically and not to the health of the XBOX brand in general.

Synless

I have an imported, day 1 DS3 that still holds a lengthy 9-11 hour charge. I understand that not all batteries last the samel, but you would maybe need to replace a controller once. My launch system SixAxis still holds a 7-9 hour charge (though, it hasn't really been used since I got my two dual shocks).

Oops. I meant the PS3 one. It's about four feet.
I use rechargeable batteries on 360.

Add to the fact you only get one since you don't get anymore when you buy new controllers. When my PS3 controller goes dead I have to stop playing. My couch is 15 feet from the TV.

I want external batteries. I interchange them from all my other controllers and remotes.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I have an imported, day 1 DS3 that still holds a lengthy 9-11 hour charge. I understand that not all batteries last the samel, but you would maybe need to replace a controller once. My launch system SixAxis still holds a 7-9 hour charge (though, it hasn't really been used since I got my two dual shocks).

My DS3 has never made it to seven hours, even the day I bought it. You must have gotten a magic one.

Ranger X

My DS3 has never made it to seven hours, even the day I bought it. You must have gotten a magic one.

Mine is also lasting around seven hours. Still going strong. Also doesn't lose its charge -- something I hate about the 360 controller or again the Wiimotes because of the batteries.

Synless

I may have over shot that estimate, I think they all last around 7-8 hours. Except for the sixaxis. I'm going to test that when I get back to Michigan.

Speevy

Banned
Please stop spreading falsehoods about the PS3 controller.

It beats the battery vampire competition hands-down with respect to longevity and convenience.

JaggedSac

The title of the thread is MS PR: 360 sold 67M consoles; $56 billion in sales, almost 50% market share.

I'm looking for the attach rate in that title and how it relates to the number of consoles sold. If MS wanted to brag about their attach rate they'd be more than within their rights to do so. They, however, are not. Instead, they're bragging about the number of consoles they have sold.

Help me out here. Explain to me how the attach rate relates to the number of consoles sold specifically and not to the health of the XBOX brand in general.

I believe the argument was that since the attach rate is higher than the PS3's that:

a) There is a large portion of the 67M that are double dips due to hardware failure, but since XBox owners buy a far, far larger number of games per console than the other console owners the attach rate appears only slightly larger than the other two console's attach rates.

or more realistically

b) The number of double dips are not as high as some purport and this can be seen in the attach rate being only slightly larger than the other two console's attach rates.

Neither one are provable.

I absolutely hate this too. And you can't charge them off of a wall outlet USB adapter either.

It was even worse when my battery crapped out completely.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
OldJadedGamer said:
So they were *only* outsold by 60 million units last gen and did a total turn around this gen? Lets not even get started about marketshare earned from last gen.

Hey, I'm not hating on MS - I'm just pointing out the actual numbers behind their very well-worded PR.

The reality is that (at least up to this point in time) the platform holder who made the largest market gain this gen compared to last was Nintendo. You might disagree on the terms, but in my opinion "generation" is a temporal not technological thing. Both MS and Sony have a fair way to go to match Nintendo, who had an even smaller install-base going in with Gamecube.

Another bizarre but factually correct observation is that if you're looking at global shipments of all home console hardware, Sony has managed to shift well over 100m units of PS2/PS3 hardware since 360 launched.

This isn't a selective reading of events to dismiss the impact of 360, or to rile up fanboyism, its simply an indicator of worldwide gaming tastes based on shipment numbers.

The bottom line is that all three platform holders have achieved substantial sales success over the past 7 years, which is pretty unusual.

AzaK

I was never a fan of the 360 and avoided it because of the RROD, then when that was sorted just couldn't afford another console as I had a Wii and PS3 by then. But I do want to say that I think MS have done amazing work keeping it rolling along and picking up pace even in the later years. Kinect was a brilliant move for them. Nintendo on the other hand just fell off a cliff.

krae_man

How do you guys know how long your batteries last? I just use them till they need recharging. I don't have a stopwatch next to me.

jcm

Add to the fact you only get one since you don't get anymore when you buy new controllers. When my PS3 controller goes dead I have to stop playing. My couch is 15 feet from the TV.

I want external batteries. I interchange them from all my other controllers and remotes.

FYI you can get a 15' USB cable from Monoprice for under two bucks. And if that's not long enough, you can get a 16' extension for $5.

Hey, I'm not hating on MS - I'm just pointing out the actual numbers behind their very well-worded PR.

The reality is that (at least up to this point in time) the platform holder who made the largest market gain this gen compared to last was Nintendo. You might disagree on the terms, but in my opinion "generation" is a temporal not technological thing. Both MS and Sony have a fair way to go to match Nintendo, who had an even smaller install-base going in with Gamecube.

Another bizarre but factually correct observation is that if you're looking at global shipments of all home console hardware, Sony has managed to shift well over 100m units of PS2/PS3 hardware since 360 launched.

This isn't a selective reading of events to dismiss the impact of 360, or to rile up fanboyism, its simply an indicator of worldwide gaming tastes based on shipment numbers.

The bottom line is that all three platform holders have achieved substantial sales success over the past 7 years, which is pretty unusual.

Sony's numbers have to be buffed by adding in sales from their last gen system which of course you did. MS and Nintendo have very much increased their marketshare and sales compared to their home consoles from last gen. I thought we were discussing this gen.

I'm not so impressed with what MS did this gen, what is impressive to me is what they came from last gen. Nothing was handed to them and basically everything was working against them from day one because eceryone assumed another Sony victory. What I liked about seeing both MS and Nintendo this gen is that they leveled the playing field. Next gen is going to be the best as all three systems start from zero.

EagleEyes

Congrats Microsoft. Well deserved for my favorite console yet. They have published some of my favorite franchises ever(Halo, Gears, Forza, Mass Effect) and XBLA has been the premiere downloadable service on consoles this gen.

Acrylic7

I purchase extra controllers on Black Friday cuz I'm smart. Old ones still work like a charm, but the extras are basically insurance in my case.

and It only takes a few minutes to charge a dualshock for hours of playtime, so it doesn't bother me.

Sydle

Relax. It was in reference to McLovin's suggestion that a lot of those consoles are sold as a result of double dippers. If what he said were true, given the latest software attach report which puts them at or above PS3's attach rate, that means Xbox owners would have to buy a lot more games than PS3 owners.

I can do this in MS paint if that's too complicated for you.

It beats the battery vampire competition hands-down with respect to longevity and convenience.

My ps3 controller will die over night with a full charge even when its shut off. Because of this I hardly use my ps3 because I know ill have to charge the controller for a good hour just to play a game. Id just plug it in but I have a 55" tv and a 3' cord.

jcm

Relax. It was in reference to McLovin's suggestion that a lot of those consoles are sold as a result of double dippers. If what he said were true, given the latest software attach report which puts them at or above PS3's attach rate, that means Xbox owners would have to buy a lot more games than PS3 owners.

What is the latest 360 attach rate? I don't recall seeing it recently.

Melchiah

when we launched Xbox 360 – we have sold 67 million consoles and have generated more than $56 billion at retail, and we’re still going strong in our seventh year. With 47% share of the current-generation console market

It's odd that they use the worldwide sales figures, but use the percent of US market. It would have been more accurate to use the worldwide percent, but that of course hadn't looked nearly as good for them.

Sye d'Burns

Relax? I'm way ahead of you there Paco.

That being said, I'll wait patiently, which should be easy to do seeing as I'm already relaxed, to see what you can put together in MS paint. Not that I have any particular bone to pick with your assertion, rather, I'd just like to see your skills in MS Paint and, after all, you offered.

Happy Doodling!

edit: For a basic tutorial in a rebuttal without resorting to snark or offhanded comments, see the post by JaggedSac. He lays it out in an informative, yet friendly manner. Bring a notepad or MS paint. I'll leave that up to you. There may be a test.

Speevy

Banned
My ps3 controller will die over night with a full charge even when its shut off. Because of this I hardly use my ps3 because I know ill have to charge the controller for a good hour just to play a game. Id just plug it in but I have a 55" tv and a 3' cord.

Then something is very wrong with your PS3 controller.

TAJ

Speaking of battery vampires, the PS3 Blu-ray remote chews through batteries several times faster than any other remote I've owned.

thats fucked up.

Speaking of battery vampires, the PS3 Blu-ray remote chews through batteries several times faster than any other remote I've owned.

just curious as a side matter, but what advantage is there of the remote over just using the controller? other than being accessible to non-gamers of course.

Sye d'Burns

just curious as a side matter, but what advantage is there of the remote over just using the controller? other than being accessible to non-gamers of course.

It's just handy to have around, in theory. in practice, In addition to killing batteries, that sucker always turns on my PS3 when a button gets hit. I ended up shelving the thing ages ago.

It would make Netflix much less of a pain in the rear.

Jomjom

Banned

I think you have a broken one. I have 5 DS3s and they all last for much longer than 7 hours.

It's just handy to have around, in theory. in practice, In addition to killing batteries, that sucker always turns on my PS3 when a button gets hit. I ended up shelving the thing ages ago.

It would make Netflix much less of a pain in the rear.

You gotta upgrade to the new one. They fixed that problem.

Top Bottom