• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS PR: 360 sold 67M consoles; $56 billion in sales, almost 50% market share

Omiee

Please, by all means, correct me:

Here's some numbers:

98m Wiis (Tie Ratio: around 8.5)
67m 360s (Tie Ratio: around 9.3)
56m PS3s (Tie Ratio: don't remember but it's similar to Wii)

I think the PS3 number is higher, actually, but humour me. I am not an avid sales-ager so if you sales-agers have better numbers please correct me as well.

PS3 number should be much higher, i thought the difference was like 3 million now worldwide?

They're usually hovering around 40-something % marketshare in their monthly NPD PR, so they're probably talking about the US market over a recent period of time.

Fredrik

Why would people buy a new one when the warranty guaranteed a free replacement? You are telling me that millions simply dropped $300-$400 on replacements despite MS losing a great deal amount of money over the fiasco?
The warrany was just a regular one at first, at least where I live, and lots of people had already bought new ones before MS admitted having a problem and added the extended warranty, and lots of people still got burned when the extended one had ended, me included like I said before.

bigace33

Even though the 360 was faulty, it is a great console. People willing to re-buy it is just a testament to that. Kudos to MS.

Fredrik

Even though the 360 was faulty, it is a great console. People willing to re-buy it is just a testament to that. Kudos to MS.
I definitely agree on that. Funnily enough Sony used to call it Xbox 1.5 and yet it's still having the best performance in multi format titles. Personally I buy all multi titles for the 360.

Wolfie5

I know, I know....

67 (X360) + 19(kinect) = 86m

98m Wii

Total market = 98 + 86 = 184m

47% of 184m = 86m

Sony is not in the equation ;)

I've been most satisfied with MS overall this gen. Granted they didn't have the same quantity of exclusives as Sony but the controller, Live and the fact that 99% of multiplats look/perform better practically makes those games 360 exclusives to me since I wouldn't even consider grabbing them for PS3.

I think the only multiplat I have on PS3 is Mortal Kombat and that's because it's the only game that is unplayable on 360 due to the abortion of a d-pad.

But despite Sony taking over the gaming world last gen, the original Xbox was a relative failure, and all of the RRoD issues MS has still cemented themselves in the console market. I look forward to their next box.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
That's a lot of 360s. And to think before Xbox the thought of MS just leaping into the console market and becoming a dominant brand was sort of a joke. Now they're legitimately competing for the living room. Simply amazing job.

BibiMaghoo

Why would people buy a new one when the warranty guaranteed a free replacement? You are telling me that millions simply dropped $300-$400 on replacements despite MS losing a great deal amount of money over the fiasco?

You are basing this on the assumption that average joe 360 owner had any idea that warranties were extended to three years....

People that use gaming forums, sure. Most people, not so sure.

def sim

You are basing this on the assumption that average joe 360 owner had any idea that warranties were extended to three years....

Using the warranty is a "hardcore" thing now? Give me a break.

Yes because regular people are too dumb to be able to use their warranties. Most people would probably contact the place they bought it or MS and be told this anyway.

Besides as is always mentioned when someone brings up this point how do you explain the 360s attach rate? Either the 360 is attracting an incredibly hardcore userbase compared to every other console ever released or maybe just maybe the whole replacement 360s making up the numbers is massively overblown.

LCGeek

formerly sane
360 isn't my fav console but it's my most played of this gen between friends and for solo stuff. Glad MS didn't do too badly this time.

Malo

Banned
Very impressive MS. It's been my most used and favorite console this generation. I'm very much looking forward to the next generation xbox.

Dunlop

Really is the RRoD argument being resurrected?

Not a sales age guy but everyone is throwing around the console user-base as marketshare, is it not the revenue spent on your platform?

Goofy PR spin aside, the 360 is easily my favorite console this generation so congrats or whatever

Really is the RRoD argument being resurrected?

Not a sales age guy but everyone is throwing around the console user-base as marketshare, is it not the revenue spent on your platform?

Goofy PR spin aside, the 360 is easily my favorite console this generation so congrats or whatever

I'm more entertained by this new argument in this thread that only hardcore gamers know about warranties. MS success threads, the gift that keep on giving.

Hey You

Yeah, glad to see Xbox and even Kinect is a success.
They really hooked me to their console with exclusives like Halo and Live.

I'm also liking their move to be a media box, I really hope their new Studios produce "core" games and not Kinect exclusive.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I definitely agree on that. Funnily enough Sony used to call it Xbox 1.5 and yet it's still having the best performance in multi format titles. Personally I buy all multi titles for the 360.

Ya, but it has nothing to do with performance (most differences are imperceptible). No matter what people will rationalize their choice; "my friends are on live" "I like the controller better". At this point it is religious.

Guevara

Good work on the confusing PR, Microsoft. I have no idea what it means but it's a great way to say you're in third place WW.

spin spin spin. ;)

Higurashi-TakanoSpin.gif

Road

Please, by all means, correct me:

Here's some numbers:

98m Wiis (Tie Ratio: around 8.5)
67m 360s (Tie Ratio: around 9.3)
64m PS3s (Tie Ratio: don't remember but it's similar to Wii)

Humour me. I am not an avid sales-ager so if you sales-agers have better numbers please correct me as well.

We don't have worldwide software sales for the Xbox 360.

95.85m Wii (Tie Ratio: around 8.5)
67.2m 360 (Tie Ratio: unkown)
63.9m PS3 (Tie Ratio: around 9.3)

My favorite console this generation by a mile. And i have them all. It's the combination of Xbox Live, a lot of better running multiplatform games (i lost count) and really nice exclusives.

Good job Microsoft!

ixGurXVULurO8.gif

CaptainABAB

Often market share is done on revenue. Maybe that's what they mean?

Market share is usually based on units or revenue.

In this case, I think it is revenue. And as mentioned before, that incldues everything: accessories, kinect, xbox live subs and points (add-ons, arcade games, movies)

Note: the 360 has a higher average selling price than the PS3 based on the NPD reports.

Now that's some confusing PR. How did they calculate the 47%? By omitting the Wii and all sales of the first five years of this generation?

goonergaz

I'm sure I read a year or so ago that there's more working PS3s than Xbox 360s?

I tend to think that a lot of folk wouldn't have known about the 3 year warranty - little Johnnys X360 dies after 1 year parents are probably just going to buy a replacement.

Also, what about shop swap-outs? Mine was one that was swapped by a shop - do MS think they sold another unit when that happens?

Then what about those that have actually died and people have moved onto PS3 or just given up on gaming? So like I said to begin with, they may have sold more but are there more actually active?

Dunlop

Then what about those that have actually died and people have moved onto PS3 or just given up on gaming? So like I said to begin with, they may have sold more but are there more actually active?

How many people "moved on" from the PS3 or the Wii? That's why install base means shit when compared to actual sales

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I still do not own a 360; it is the only current-gen platform I haven't adopted. I think the exclusive games on the PS3 suit me better than the 360 exclusives, while for multiplatform games I almost always chose PC.

I think that if I preferred shooters I'd probably have a 360, but since they aren't my thing I can safely do without an XBox. I will be carefully considering one for next gen, since I feel they are going to eat more share at the rate things are going, and attact more exclusives.

XBLA alone is worth the price of entry.

gaming_noob

I didn't warm up to the 360 until March 2006 when GRAW released. MS should be recognized for having a large jump in marketshare based on how the original Xbox did. The downplaying by Takuya (who shows up in every Xbox thread with negative posts), is funny.

50% WW is crazy since 360 has -10% in Japan :p

Yep, Microsoft can come out slightly behind Sony when the gen is dead and gone, but this generation was a huge victory for Microsoft and a huge plate of blech for Sony. It's not often you see a company that big lose so much marketshare from one gen to the next. Doesn't help Sony that they're also losing huge chunks of marketshare in their other core business units either.

Top Bottom