• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MSN: The 25 most dangerous neighborhoods in America

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother wants to move to Dunwoody, GA. It's 25 miles north of Atlanta I think. It's suppose to be an upper class area with like 20 Whole Foods, but she's still afraid of the crime associated with Atlanta.

Burt

Washington Heights S.C REPRESENT. I could spit to Washington Heights from the building I work in.
This is like when people from Baltimore who are proud that The Wire takes place in their city.

Didn't realize Greenville and Spartanburg had areas that bad though, always seemed like reasonable enough places to me.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
My mother wants to move to Dunwoody, GA. It's 25 miles north of Atlanta I think. It's suppose to be an upper class area with like 20 Whole Foods, but she's still afraid of the crime associated with Atlanta.

Well sometimes they do ride up in their rap cars and start some trouble.

This is like when people from Baltimore who are proud that The Wire takes place in their city.

Didn't realize Greenville and Spartanburg had areas that bad though, always seemed like reasonable enough places to me.

I'm cool because my town is violent and you know it!

Machine

These lists are always entertaining. I grew up in Flint, MI. I wouldn't walk through East Atherton & South Dort at night but it's not THAT bad. As for Detroit, you need to remember that the actual city of Detroit isn't a great place but many of the suburbs surrounding Detroit are very nice. The metro Detroit area is pretty cool and it sucks that people mindlessly shit on it so much.

Einbroch

Banned
14) NW of Kishwaukee & 15th (Rockford, IL)

What? Seriously, what?

It's no worse than the rest of Rockford, in fact, it's a pretty quiet area with some lower income families. I walked and drove around that area all the time. I don't even remember bars on the windows of restaurants there.

Rockford isn't the best, but dangerous? Really? For a city it's size I think it's pretty dang safe.

Kenai

I knew that part of Indianapolis had gone downhill a lot since the 90s, but I'm surprised it made the list.

Then again, maybe I'm not. This might sound like a silly complaint, but I would regularly see 8-9 cars run the light after it turned red. And that's not mentioning the gangs and the crime rate and whatever else. I'm so glad I'm back on the south side.

Einbroch

Banned
I knew that part of Indianapolis had gone downhill a lot since the 90s, but I'm surprised it made the list.

Then again, maybe I'm not. This might sound like a silly complaint, but I would regularly see 8-9 cars run the light after it turned red. And that's not mentioning the gangs and the crime rate and whatever else. I'm so glad I'm back on the south side.

That's an Indiana thing, I think. I drive only three miles to and from school and there's always at least one person who runs a light. They're, well, we're awful about "just one more car".

Shiv47

The usual shitting on Detroit that comes with these lists. As someone who lives in the metro area, I can tell you that if you go where the worthwhile stuff in the city is (ie the stadiums, museums, music venues, Wayne State area), you'll be just as safe as any other major city. No one goes to those shithole areas like in the list except the people sentenced to being stuck there. The only way you're liable to get robbed is in paying for parking.

The usual shitting on Detroit that comes with these lists. As someone who lives in the metro area, I can tell you that if you go where the worthwhile stuff in the city is (ie the stadiums, museums, music venues, Wayne State area), you'll be just as safe as any other major city. No one goes to those shithole areas like in the list except the people sentenced to being stuck there. The only way you're liable to get robbed is in paying for parking.

Same with Chicago x 10

TedNindo

I'm not American and Detroit looks really strange to me. I don't think I've ever seen a city, and certainly not at this scale, almost entirely made out of houses before. Somehow I imagined a bleak grey concrete city. And instead I saw green everywhere and tiny houses that all had little gardens.

Is that common in the US?

Dai101

Banned
q3M16aD.jpg

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm not American and Detroit looks really strange to me. I don't think I've ever seen a city, and certainly not at this scale, almost entirely made out of houses before. Somehow I imagined a bleak grey concrete city. And instead I saw green everywhere and tiny houses that all had little gardens.

Is that common in the US?

If you're just looking at the areas on the list on Google Earth/Street View, then yeah, that's all you're gonna see. Try looking at the main area of Detroit, like near Ford Field.

TedNindo

If you're just looking at the areas on the list on Google Earth/Street View, then yeah, that's all you're gonna see. Try looking at the main area of Detroit, like near Ford Field.

That does look mostly commercial though. I guess I just expected the residential areas to be more urban. But the city seems to be 90% suburb. Maybe it's because of population density but European cities tend to be more packed then that. 90% of the homes in a city here tend to be apartments and/or row houses.

OK OK OK, I live in Memphis, and have grown up in STL so I will weigh in on those picks.

11) Near Gaston Park (Memphis, TN) - Understandable, South of Crump, straddles an industrial zone and is not a nice place to drive through, let alone live. Frequent gang/drug related police busts on the news.

12) Fountain Park (St. Louis, MO) - I have never been anywhere near this location, so I can not say anything about it. The closest I have ever been is driving down Delmar to get to downtown and that is a good ways south of Fountain park.

22) Columbus Square (St. Louis, MO) - North Saint Louis, but it is adjacent to a major event location (edward Jones Dome, home of STL's NFL team). Historically a lot of theft, vandalism and crime. Part of this is because of the police presence surrounding sports and other events at the stadium leading to crack downs on smaller felony crimes (assault, robbery, carjacking).

23) Downtown (Memphis, TN) - when I read the thread, I thought that this was "Downtown Memphis" thinking "Beale street, the waterfront, the Peabody hotel" and I was going to type something and overreact. I have driven by this area before, and good for those students at Booker T Washington High school.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Michigan needs to do a new "Pure Michigan" ad based on this finding.

I've been to several Lions games. If you walk two blocks in any direction you're in no man's land. Terrible, terrible area.

Kwixotik

But isn't like 95% of Detroit the shitty part of Detroit?

I watched that "Detropia" doc on Netflix recently; saw that over 50% of the city's manufacturing jobs have been lost ... since 2001. Lack of jobs was ALREADY a problem in 2001. Hell, it was a problem when I was a kid circa 1980. Down, down, down it goes. There's almost no hope at all anymore. From the fourth-largest city in the country to ... whatever the fuck it is now. Way under a million people. The auto industry has completely abandoned the city. My car (GM) was made in Tennessee for fuck's sake.

Furthermore, the "lol Detroit" attitude is a pretty shitty one, if for no other reason than the fact Detroit is an American city - its downfall is an American problem, not some isolated "lol tough shit for you" like people make out.

Unless I'm missing it somewhere, they don't provide a detailed ranking methodology for this list. Are they more heavily weighing car jackings to violent burglaries? etc.

I only ask because this list seems....off. I've lived in both Chicago and Baltimore and been in some very rough spots in both. I can't imagine how no hoods in Bmore or Southeast DC make the cut in a list of 25 without some egregious oversights.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Funny I visited Chicago 2 years ago to watch the Bulls play the Celtics. I always liked the thought of living in Chicago. Loved the downtown area, but man once you leave there it gets sketchy fast. The area surrounding the United Center looked surprisingly bad.

daw840

I watched that "Detropia" doc on Netflix recently; saw that over 50% of the city's manufacturing jobs have been lost ... since 2001. Lack of jobs was ALREADY a problem in 2001. Hell, it was a problem when I was a kid circa 1980. Down, down, down it goes. There's almost no hope at all anymore. From the fourth-largest city in the country to ... whatever the fuck it is now. Way under a million people. The auto industry has completely abandoned the city. My car (GM) was made in Tennessee for fuck's sake.

Furthermore, the "lol Detroit" attitude is a pretty shitty one, if for no other reason than the fact Detroit is an American city - its downfall is an American problem, not some isolated "lol tough shit for you" like people make out.

That and Detroit was THE American city back in the booming big 3 car manufacturer days. Very sad to see it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom