• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mueller Enlists the IRS for His Trump-Russia Investigation

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Would this suggest we're shifting into a more ... I don't know ... urgent part of the investigation? It feels like at the pace this is going Trump will have served two terms in office and put his wretched stamp of disgust on the USA for all time before we can drag his sorry putrid little orange turd of a cheeto-fingered ass off to the pokey.

You realize it hasn't even been a year and we're this deep into the investigation right? Things are moving at a shocking clip. Watergate took 2 and a half years.

VeeP

Would this suggest we're shifting into a more ... I don't know ... urgent part of the investigation? It feels like at the pace this is going Trump will have served two terms in office and put his wretched stamp of disgust on the USA for all time before we can drag his sorry putrid little orange turd of a cheeto-fingered ass off to the pokey.

"Urgent"... You know, these things take time right? You need to build a solid case, and go through the proper precedures. Mueller isn't sitting there and thinking "hmm maybe I should do some investigating today." Dude's all in on this.

You realize it hasn't even been a year and we're this deep into the investigation right? Things are moving at a shocking clip. Watergate took 2 and a half years.
I think between technology being infinitely better and seemingly every member of the Trump team and gop being incompetent once one card falls everything else will come tumbling down.

ascii42

How the actual fuck does that work?

Basically his plan was that the tax code would be so simple that the IRS could be scaled down in size to almost nothing. For most people's taxes, that could work. But some people's taxes are going to be complicated no matter what. And then who investigates fraud?

Jmille99

Trump to lawyers:

200_s.gif

aaaaa0

As a Canadian, I'm not up to speed on this. Does the Republican party like the IRS? Or do they view it as a compromised, Libtard deep state conspiracy?

The IRS is the agency in charge of collecting taxes and investigating tax fraud.

Republicans hate taxes. They really hate getting caught evading taxes. Those even further right believe outright that "taxation is theft".

So no, they really hate the IRS.

This is one of those news dumps that you're like, ok, sure, but then you wake up at 3:30am and it dawns on you how fucking serious this is.

Then you tweet like a bitch from the toilet.

Is that due to the nature of digital records, computers, etc.? 1970s would have been all paper records and documents, categorizing and sifting through evidence by hand, and so on

aaaaa0

Before cheering, I'd wait for a second confirmation from a different source. But yeah, this is a big deal if it's really happening.

The Llama

Is that due to the nature of digital records, computers, etc.? 1970s would have been all paper records and documents, categorizing and sifting through evidence by hand, and so on

As someone who does government public records work, believe me when I say that digital records just mean's there's more crap to comb through...

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.

The nature of digital records and mostly for the fact that the Trump admin is really stupid

Derwind

This unit—known as CI—is one of the federal government’s most tight-knit, specialized, and secretive investigative entities. Its 2,500 agents focus exclusively on financial crime, including tax evasion and money laundering. A former colleague of Mueller’s said he always liked working with IRS’ special agents, especially when he was a U.S. Attorney.

popcorn_yes.gif

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Comey got fired in May. It's only been a few months!

Holy shit it only has been a few months and we're already in Grand Jury Impaneling and combing through the tax returns.

I think between technology being infinitely better and seemingly every member of the Trump team and gop being incompetent once one card falls everything else will come tumbling down.

Sounds about right
Trump and his cronies were dumb enough to leave paper trails everywhere

Futureman

I always felt like the tax returns didn't necessarily contain anything illegal but more embarrassing and that's why he never released them. The IRS has always had his tax info and could see if there was something illegal in there I would think? Unless the illegality of a situation is only clear with another piece of information that Mueller has dug up.

We're barely 15% through Trump's four year term, or not even 8% through if he were to serve two full terms.

Foffy

Banned
Oh man, this might be the...

Trump card.

His taxes are likely gonna expose the shit out of him, seeing as they're one of his most elusive aspects.

Top Bottom