• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mueller Enlists the IRS for His Trump-Russia Investigation

Taiser

A nothingburger will come from this

more like a...

ZvWSwhd.jpg

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Americans generally have a distaste for taxes. This goes all the way to our country's founding, where issues over post-war taxes were the catalyst for the American Revolution. That's why we threw all that tea into the harbor, and that's where the "Tea Party" Republicans get their name.

And maybe it hasn't become apparent to the rest of the world yet, but Republicans don't wan't a well-funded and functioning government, unless it's the military.
You wonder how the fuck they think stuff gets built.

BOO TAXES! BOO crumbling infrastructure!

JABEE

Is that due to the nature of digital records, computers, etc.? 1970s would have been all paper records and documents, categorizing and sifting through evidence by hand, and so on
Also, if there is evidence Trump is being blackmailed by a foreign government, you can’t just let it linger on. Every day is a chance for disaster.

Even the SS is tired of Trump's bullshit, they would be glad to hand him over lol.

Now I'm just imagining the look on Trump's face as he furiously demands them to defend him and they just give him a stone cold look that basically says "we don't listen to you anymore" and Trump has a face that's a mixture of defeat and denial that it ends like this.

CazTGG

Since inauguration has there been a single alt-right/fox/trump train "victory" ?

Hannity has tweeted more than once about impeding megatons. But nothing.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel I can remember an apology from CNN and a minor retraction from the NY Times, some random democrat senator had a tech employee who got into trouble with the FBI. A few Antifa got over-excited. Berkeley got confused about how to deal with troll alt-right speaking engagements.

And that's .. it?
Anything else? Have they had a single shocking revelation to excite the base?

The travel ban (for now), Neil Gorsuch and the trans military ban (for now) are all that comes to mind if one's mindset is a xenophobic, homophobic white supremacist like your typical Fox host, the Trump administration and Trump himself, except two of those may be struck down at a later point while the former of the three already has restrictions placed on it. You could even argue they lost something since Gorsuch's confirmation broke the filibuster for approving a SCOTUS justice so when Democrats take back the Senate in 2018/2020 (2018 is seeming more and more likely with Cruz's approval sinking alongside Trump's), they can refuse an appointment for Kennedy or any other potentially retiring/dead justice like they did with Merrick Garland and approve a more left-leaning one with a slim majority instead of seeking the 60 votes they would have needed prior to Neil's approval process.

But yeah, i'm sure they're tired of winning.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
So are we at the point where this investigation is basically unstoppable? It seems so decentralized now that even if Mueller was to be fired somehow, I imagine he'd just take on some other official title and continue as usual, given how deep this thing is going.

Given what Mueller has been looking into, I think we are in the last week's of Trump's presidency. I think it's going to happen, but what I'm not sure about is the rest of the White House. I hope it all goes. As odd As it sounds, I would be extremely happy for a President Ryan. It's the best outcome for the next 3.5 years.

Given what Mueller has been looking into, I think we are in the last week's of Trump's presidency. I think it's going to happen, but what I'm not sure about is the rest of the White House. I hope it all goes. As odd As it sounds, I would be extremely happy for a President Ryan. It's the best outcome for the next 3.5 years.

You can't kick Trump out of the whitehouse while he's on trial. He has to actually be found guilty of an impeachable offense. Mueller isn't rushing to bring charges. You shouldn't expect him to vacate the office any time soon.

jstripes

Banned

Nah, that'd be like a prof giving a grad student 5,000 pages of data and saying "your thesis is due next week". This is going to take quite some time to pore over, analyze, and cross-reference, let alone be written into something presentable.

I'm really glad I just got gonorrhea and not syphilis this time

Dude, if this investigation goes down the list, president Ryan might not be a thing.

Jenov

Would love for something super scandalous in his tax returns helps to take him down. Then they make a new law mandating all future presidents must show at least 15 years of back taxes.

theofficefan99

Like it wasn't the most obvious thing on Earth that Trump has a ton of shit to hide since he's incredibly avoidant when it comes to his tax returns.

Funny thing is that most of the Republicans I know IRL are pro-fraud.

Minamu

They took down Al Capone and helped solve the Lindbergh kidnapping
That makes sense, sounds cool :) I guess secretive is a good word for it, all things considered. All my knowledge of the IRS comes from American movies, where they're usually the bad guys xD

JABEE

They took down Al Capone and helped solve the Lindbergh kidnapping
Al Capone was fucked over in his case though. Income tax was new and his sentencing was excessive. And many believe the proof the prosecutors presented was insufficient. Nothing Elliott Ness did impacted the actual case. He was just a nuisance.

The policy for illegal funds was even newer. Most people charged with the crime just had to pay a fine and back taxes.

Capone was enemy number one of Hoover and the judge put him in prison for crimes they couldn’t prove in court.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
You can't kick Trump out of the whitehouse while he's on trial. He has to actually be found guilty of an impeachable offense. Mueller isn't rushing to bring charges. You shouldn't expect him to vacate the office any time soon.

You're probably right. I have no legal knowledge, I just want him gone.

Top Bottom