• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

Tokubetsu

Got my 360 back today. It's a lot quieter for sure. Haven't played a disc game yet though but I played the dynasty warriors gundam demo and it ran smoothly. I did get my own 360 back though and not a refurb.

Tokubetsu said:
Got my 360 back today. It's a lot quieter for sure. Haven't played a disc game yet though but I played the dynasty warriors gundam demo and it ran smoothly. I did get my own 360 back though and not a refurb.

anyone know if this is common? i.e. what are the odds of me getting my box back?

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Number two bites the dust! After giving me nearly two weeks of flawless play (after lots of disc read errors) I turned on my 360 tonight to play some Lost Planet, and the whole screen is purple then a very alarming shade of red. I am on hold with support right now. Maybe by the time I get my replacement, Bioshock will be marked down to $30. :lol

Tokubetsu

george21000 said:
anyone know if this is common? i.e. what are the odds of me getting my box back?

I'm pretty sure the only reason I got mine back was because things got messy and i was assigned a specific MS rep.

My xbox360 was showing signs of near death so I let my little cousin borrow it and hope die while he is playing it so that his mom will have to pay me back with cash.

PS360

Banned
It happened again!!

Except this time it wasn't my machine.

Went over to a friend's house before going out for the night. He starts RAVING about NCAA 08. "It's so good..played it for like 8 hours yesterday," he said.

I made a corny joke about the 360 breaking because of that. We all laughed.

Then he went to go turn it on.

360 logo comes up..and suddenly a very scary sound...screen is frozen.

2nd time, game gets to title screen, freezes.

Tried about 5 times after that, never went past the 360 logo again.

System is 2 months old, but no idea about the manufacture date.

He had the best buy warranty so got a new one the next day. I just couldnt believe I saw it happen to someone else.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
DMczaf said:
What does the old heatsink look like?

newheatsink1.jpg

Its still in there,next to the white cooling duct.

The new extra one is at the bottom *which is really the front of the console :p* with that little gold nub tip sticking out of it.My refurb this time came with one :D

Look at the link noire posted,you can see it without the extra heatsink.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
So far I havent heard of one RRR yet on here or the xbox forums with the new heatsink.

Of course that doesnt mean it hasnt happened.

big_z

have systems with the new heatsink shown up in stores yet?

i really want to minimize the chances of having to deal with microsofts shit support.

Tokubetsu

Just a little update. My rep called in today to check up on me. Long story short, I'm getting Viva Pinata for free =P and my 360 is still doing fine <3

MechDX

big_z said:
have systems with the new heatsink shown up in stores yet?

i really want to minimize the chances of having to deal with microsofts shit support.

Newer Elites have. I just bought an Elite 3 days ago and it has it.

Now my 360 is working again. I almost wish it would just red ring instead of giving me weird intermitent problems. Almost. I hate being stressed out every time I go to turn it on.

WTFing

Banned
GamePro: Thinking back to late 2005, I remember being astonished that Microsoft was able to release the Xbox 360 in such a short time. But now, unfortunately, the Xbox 360 is seeing some high failure rates. Could these failure rates be partly blamed on the rush to get the system out in '05?

Shane Kim: You know I'm not a hardware guy
, and I think it's fine to speculate that it might have contributed to the failure rate. But at the end of the day, what you're talking about is a very complicated piece of consumer electronics. There are 1,700 components, 500 million transistors, and it's just a very complex high-end piece of machinery. It's very unfortunate, and we've apologized to consumers who've had issues. I think the important thing is that we're standing behind our product, and we're going to take care of the customers who have had issues.

GamePro: You say the Xbox 360 is a very complex piece of machinery, and while that's valid on one level, Sony's PS3 has equally advanced hardware... and their failure rates are pretty low. You guys outsourced both the design and the manufacturing of the Xbox 360, so is Flextronics or any other manufacturers sharing the blame on the failing Xbox 360s?

SK: No, Microsoft is taking responsibility for this. This is a Microsoft product and we're the ones that took the charge and we're the ones who are extending the warranty to our customers. It's Microsoft's responsibility full stock. I can't speak to Sony and how they built their product. They've got a much bigger product than we do. Physically it's bigger, so they made some design decisions I'm not sure we would have, but that said, I think it's way too early to say what Sony's issues will or won't be.

First of all, one of the things that we needed to do was we needed to have a critical mass in the market to be able to look at the different issues and make sure we did all of the high quality testing that we could before determining that we needed to take this extraordinary step. Sony doesn't have critical mass. [The PS3] hasn't even been in the market for a year so it's way too early to say whether they're going to run into issues of their own with respect to the hardware.
http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox360/games/features/126468.shtml

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
6gczoyd.jpg

Is it still taking a 4-6 weeks for them to ship it out after they receive it, or have they quickened the pace a bit? For those that did not/did get the new heatsink, when did you send your box in?

Mine just got the RRoD. I'm actually pretty happy about that, since I'm sure the next box I get will be more reliable, and the warranty gets extended for ANOTHER 3 years. So I'll be covered until 2010, just in time for the 45nm versions :p

I REALLY hope it doesn't take a long time for the replacement to be sent in. I have to call today.

I've had 4 RROD in the past week, but it just keeps going. I switch it off, then back on again, and it carries on like nothing ever happened.

Part of me wishes it would just die, so its back in time for Halo 3/Bioshock etc... But then the other part of me thinks "its summer holidays and you got nothing to do...the DS can't hold your attention for that long".

Gggragh! Anyone had similiar issues?

noire

Unconfirmed Member
alr1ghtstart said:
For those that did not/did get the new heatsink, when did you send your box in?

July 7th.

Omar Ismail said:
I'm actually pretty happy about that, since I'm sure the next box I get will be more reliable, and the warranty gets extended for ANOTHER 3 years.

Really? I thought it was 3 years from date of purchase. I was worried that this new one would hold out until just after my warranty dies.

sionyboy said:
I've had 4 RROD in the past week, but it just keeps going. I switch it off, then back on again, and it carries on like nothing ever happened.

Part of me wishes it would just die, so its back in time for Halo 3/Bioshock etc... But then the other part of me thinks "its summer holidays and you got nothing to do...the DS can't hold your attention for that long".

Gggragh! Anyone had similiar issues?

no checkerboard pattern?

WickedLaharl said:
no checkerboard pattern?

Nope, nothing at all. System just goes dead, TV goes blank and 3RLOD flash. Switch off, leave for 10 seconds, switch back on and off it goes again.

I'm thinking that either;

a) Electricity surge in the house sending the system doo-lally temporarily
b) My 360 is Johnny 5

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Alpha&Omega said:
My xbox360 was showing signs of near death so I let my little cousin borrow it and hope die while he is playing it so that his mom will have to pay me back with cash.

Wow, you are really messed up.

[Nintex]

Remember my story about DRE's with the Forza 2 limited edition?

Well guess what it happened again. Within 4 or 5 weeks my second Xbox is now ****ed.
I was just playing DOA4 when suddenly the music stopped everything froze and I got a message that the ****ing disc was dirty. The disc wasn't dirty or scratched(or the 360 scratched the disc) the DVD drive just stopped spinning. Is there a way to get my money back instead of a new 360? After two of them crapping out on me I'm done with MS.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Freaking weak, sent mine back 9 WEEKS ago, received it today with NO BOX, it came in a brown cardboard box and some packaging, and from what I can tell there's no new heatsink in it. :(

Two 1 month live gold cards is nice though.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
got a call saying that I have to be home to sign for it between the hours of 8 and 5???? wtf... i have to take off all day to get it.. .BS.. hopefully someone will be home.

pr0cs

sionyboy said:
Nope, nothing at all. System just goes dead, TV goes blank and 3RLOD flash. Switch off, leave for 10 seconds, switch back on and off it goes again.

I'm thinking that either;

a) Electricity surge in the house sending the system doo-lally temporarily
b) My 360 is Johnny 5

I had a similar problem. Eventually you will find the machine will give up altogether and restarting it will make no difference. You machine is going to die, just a matter of when.

I'd keep it for as long as it holds out so that when you do sent it in for warranty you'll be more certain of the hardware updates.

PS360

Banned
Alpha&Omega said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Best post thus far in this entire thread

pr0cs said:
I had a similar problem. Eventually you will find the machine will give up altogether and restarting it will make no difference. You machine is going to die, just a matter of when.

I'd keep it for as long as it holds out so that when you do sent it in for warranty you'll be more certain of the hardware updates.

Yeah I'm expecting it to die any day now. Just my luck with the Summer holidays here as well, what's a guy to do in the daytime!

I fully intend on keeping this console until the RROD don't even flash any more. The more damage I do to it, the better chance I have of being sent a shiny new 360 (a few folks have had new 360s rather than refubrs recently...I am eternally optimistic of getting me a Benq drive and second heatsink)

pr0cs

sionyboy said:
Yeah I'm expecting it to die any day now. Just my luck with the Summer holidays here as well, what's a guy to do in the daytime!

I fully intend on keeping this console until the RROD don't even flash any more. The more damage I do to it, the better chance I have of being sent a shiny new 360 (a few folks have had new 360s rather than refubrs recently...I am eternally optimistic of getting me a Benq drive and second heatsink)

Mine lasted a LONG time, from May06 till Dec06, day 1 it did the 3RL but I was able to just bounce the power and start playing, in December after numerous Gears bouts the reboot trick eventually did nothing.

Luckily I had a B&M replacement warranty so I just packed up the guts and was back gaming in < 20mins. Though thinking now with the 3year I may not have spent the extra dough for the warranty.

The new one from Dec06 is still going strong, not one hitch.

Speevy

Banned
Since they're offering a 3 year warranty, I wish someone would be a guinea pig for us and test new 360s.

Leave it on for 8 hours.

Turn it off and on over and over, during various stages of loading things, while the drive is open, etc.

Enter and exit arcade or disc-based games both with the menus and using the dashboard menu.

Play lots of videos and DVDs.

In other words, pretend it's a Wii that can do stuff.

D3VI0US

Mine didn't last very long at all. I got in late Feb and it died today giving me 2 different error codes E71, E79, before refusing to even boot up at all. Thank god this happened before Halo 3 so I'll get it back in time, but it already sucks that I'll be late for Bioshock.

DenogginizerOS said:
I'm back in. New Elite with extra heatsink manufactured on June 29, 2007. :)

Bring on Bioshock!
Denog, when you found the Elites, how plentiful were they? Were the manufacture dates all close together (if you were able to look at a few). In my part of Oregon, the BB, CC, and Targets haven't had them for awhile. Maybe the spigot is opening, again? Given the price drop and subsequent advertising, I fear that this will be impossible to get for some time. Hell, I haven't seen a Core in a month.

If it takes getting an Elite to be assured the second heat sink (and not waiting), I'll trade up. Anyway, thanks.

Zep

Banned
Sent my system July 19th...and got this today

Good news, your Xbox console has been shipped! You can expect to receive it in 3-5 business days.

For your convenience, your shipping information is provided below:

Not bad.

Alpha&Omega said:
:lol you are a piece of shit

RPS37

7/20/07 - Sent Repair Request on Xbox.com (no phone, no thank you)
7/27/07 - Received Coffin from UPS
7/30/07 - Sent Coffin to Repair Center
8/01/07 - Coffin Arrived at Repair Center

I'll try to keep this post updated.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
wonderkins said:
Denog, when you found the Elites, how plentiful were they? Were the manufacture dates all close together (if you were able to look at a few). In my part of Oregon, the BB, CC, and Targets haven't had them for awhile. Maybe the spigot is opening, again? Given the price drop and subsequent advertising, I fear that this will be impossible to get for some time. Hell, I haven't seen a Core in a month.

If it takes getting an Elite to be assured the second heat sink (and not waiting), I'll trade up. Anyway, thanks.

The Best Buy here in NC got 30 in on Tuesday. All of them were manufactured in the last 2-3 days of June.

scarybore

My 360 was returned today with the same fault as when it left, not displaying anything no matter what cables I would use. Thats twice now that the same 360 has been sent back to me with the same fault, needless to say I'm starting to lose my temper with the whole situation.

painey

so UPS picked my 360 up today.. an hour later I realise I LEFT GUITAR HERO 2 IN THE DRIVE ... no chance of getting it back and its hard to find a copy seperate so im probably gunna have to buy another freeking guitar pack.. gutted.

DCharlie

Banned
wooo - got the chequered board graphic spasm then cut out 3 times tonight on the JPN machine.

I fear its time is limited

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
My brother got his unit back today. We're in the UK, so it's probably different to what you US'ers are experiencing.

Needless to say his replacement is 100% brand new and the manufacture date is...

*drum roll*

JUNE 2007

I said a genuine 'Wow' when he told me.

scarybore

cjelly said:
My brother got his unit back today. We're in the UK, so it's probably different to what you US'ers are experiencing.

Needless to say his replacement is 100% brand new and the manufacture date is...

*drum roll*

JUNE 2007

I said a genuine 'Wow' when he told me.

Lucky bastard, I'm in the UK too and I keep getting the same broken crap back :lol

I'm gonna test my 360 on someone elses wires and shit just to make sure it ain't mine so I can tell MS they obviously ain't testing it hard enough.

kuYuri

I got back my 360 yesterday. It's dated December 06 compared to my old one wich was Sept. 06.

Seems fine so far, except for the disc tray. The disc tray on this one kind of shifts to the side a little when it's opening and closing. I hope it doesn't become a problem. =/

Top Bottom