• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

M3wThr33

Banned
Call me skeptical, but how does adding a heatsink fix that? Doesn't it need a better way to pipe away the heat once it's drawn off the CPU? And how is this such a big deal that this took so long to add?

tak

M3wThr33 said:
Call me skeptical, but how does adding a heatsink fix that? Doesn't it need a better way to pipe away the heat once it's drawn off the CPU? And how is this such a big deal that this took so long to add?
The RROD is a general hardware fault error, so seeing the RROD does not mean you have problem X. However, the forums I've read seem to point towards the majority of the RROD errors are being caused by heated related issues.

Why did it take so long to add a heatsink to address the problem? I do not know the exact reason, but I'm fairly confident it came down to cost. The material needed to make a good heatsink are not cheap, so adding one is a fairly significant cost addition to the system. cutting into profits. However, it could also have been the test environments they tested systems in never correctly simulated some of the extreme temperatures seen in peoples homes. Thus, they were never able to see that heat as an extremely large problem it is in the real world. There are a large number of possibilities.

My own personally experience was interesting. The 360 I owned worked well for me for a year+, never had problems with lockups. However, a short time ago we had an extremely hot day where I lived. I had the AC off and the temperature in my room got very hot. My system started freezing and locking constantly that day, eventually seeing the RROD.

Kolgar

I can't tell much from that second picture (which some sites say is upside down) and I can tell even less by trying unsuccessfully to look inside my Elite through those damn little holes.

My console was manufactured March 27. I've read of some users saying their Elites dated as early as March 24 had the extra heatsink. While I can definitely see SOMETHING copper-colored in between the two black cylinders near the front, I'll be darned if I can tell what it is. Looks sort of like a coiled copper wire, possibly. I don't know.

To anyone who's checked and found the heatsink, what does it look like to YOU?

Edit: Eh, no, no heatsink here. Looks like I can see the side of the DVD drive, which would be obstructed by the heatsink if it were there.

DSC02424.jpg

Here are a couple of good pages to help you see if you've got it:
http://gamer.blorge.com/2007/08/03/how-to-tell-if-your-xbox-360-will-break/
http://benheck.com/07-12-2007/inside-the-xbox-360-elite

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
There are pictures of what it should look like. Can't get any more clear or descriptive than that.

I just got my 360 after about a 3 week wait. Runs quieter now but I haven't checked for the extra heatsink.

Rorschach

Hey, new classier hold music...that's...uhm......nice....

Is it just me or are the accents getting thicker? I think I just sent for a new unit, but I'm not 100% sure...

btw- asked him about xbl compensation since last time I didn't get it. He says I get a one month xbl card! Whoopty ****ing do. I'm tired of this stuff. This is my very last attempt. This generation sucks ass.

M3wThr33 said:

The new heatsink is for the GPU, there is a heatpipe from the existing GPU heatsink, located under the DVD drive. From the looks of it, the lower profile GPU heatsink did not get enough airflow, so they ran a heatpipe out from under the DVD drive, and into the CPU heatsink airflow path, which is much less restricted.

This is a classic "oh shit" fix, they're adding a substantial amount of cooling, probably a significant cost. In hindsight it probably would have been better to include it from the beginning, but alas, hindsight is 20/20.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Rorschach said:
Hey, new classier hold music...that's...uhm......nice....

Is it just me or are the accents getting thicker? I think I just sent for a new unit, but I'm not 100% sure...

btw- asked him about xbl compensation since last time I didn't get it. He says I get a one month xbl card! Whoopty ****ing do. I'm tired of this stuff. This is my very last attempt. This generation sucks ass.

damn rors.........

wtf... the turnaround times are great man, if you get it out next week, you should get it back with in 2 weeks or so...

Rorschach

Malleymal said:
damn rors.........

wtf... the turnaround times are great man, if you get it out next week, you should get it back with in 2 weeks or so...
I hope so, but my luck hasn't been so good. Last one took forever.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
2 weeks is a long ass time. I went one day and that still was too long (b&m warranty...store was closed when I got there the day it died).

Costanza

Banned
MirageDwarf said:
http://service.xbox.com/servicesignin.aspx

I haven't read much in this thread but posting this in case it hasn't been posted yet. Microsoft has launched this website where you can schedule repairs and keep track of it. No more waiting on the phone for customer service.
I was going to use this to get my old box fixed but I keep getting errors telling me to contact support. Anyone have any success with this?

DSN2K

just checked on that new site and under my Console is now saying "no pending repair" so I guess it must on its way back soon hopefully this week.

edit: yep got an email with a UPS number, its on its way. :D

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Costanza said:
I was going to use this to get my old box fixed but I keep getting errors telling me to contact support. Anyone have any success with this?

you have to call them in order to get it fixed. they do not do repairs over the internet. that site is just for keeping track of them.

On the front of Section 4 (Metro) of today's Chicago Tribune is a story about a woman whose 360 died while her kids were playing GH2. Microsoft replaced the console but refused to replace the game disc it ruined. There is even a photo of the kids with sad faces. :(

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
6fpvbt4.jpg

Welp, looks like my newer 360 is back up to my older one's tricks. My last one started having this problem, which continued to get worse and happened with basically every game about five or ten minute in, generally at the worst, two-seconds-before-a-checkpoint kinda moments. You can usually tell it's on the way when the drive starts getting really, really loud. Here it is happening with a completely pristine Gears of War disc. Console is laid down vertically, has tons of breathing room, and is fed only the finest of cuisine.

Once I finally break down and take this one back to Best Buy for replacement, this'll be my fourth 360. I appreciate that things break, but seriously, **** you Microsoft.

Here's hoping I get one of this limited edition working models I should've had with my initial purchase.

GhaleonEB said:
There have been a lot of discussion in the thread, so that's not necessarily the best indicator of how many actual breakdowns there are. I think someone was actually tracking them, though I don't recall who.
Howdy.

Updated list:
[Nintex] x 2
36WiiS3
3rdman
8bit
985boi
a Master Ninja
adamsappel
Adent
AEBrock
Akala x 2
AlanHemberger
ALeperMessiah
alexel
Alkaline Trio
alr1ghtstart
AltogetherAndrews x 2
anachronous_one
Andokuky x 2
AndyMoogle x 2
ant1532 x 2
Apharmd Battler
arne
arogan
ascully
AtomicShroom x 2
avcables
AVclub
AZ Greg
Az987
B_Rik_Schitthaus
backflip10019
Bamihip
BamYouHaveAids
BarneyBP
Barnolde x 2
Bboy AJ
bdoughty
Bebpo
beermonkey@tehbias
bengraven
Benjamin1981
besiktas1 x 2
Big Nate x 2
Big Zep x 2
bigben85
BigBoss
Bildi x 2
bill0527
bin4ry
binary
BioFan
Birbo
Birdman02
Blacklion
blahness
blahness x 2
blazinglazers
Bloodwake x 2
Blue Geezer
Bluecondor x 2
BlueTsunami
Bog x 2
Bojangles
Bookey x 4
Bravoexo
brocke
brokenwatch
btf1980 x 2
buckfutter x 2
BuddyC
BudokaiMR2
Bugnology x 2
Burger x 2
burnfout
C4lukins
Calamachino x 3
camel
Carl2282
CastleBravo
ccharla
Cerrius x 3
charlagame
chemicals
Chiaroscuro x 2
Chiggs
chinmonster x 2
Chris B
Ciroslive
ClivePwned
Cloudy
cochese x 2
comrade x 2
CorwinB x 3
Costanza
CrapSandwich
curiouscharles
CurseoftheGods
cvxfreak
d0x360 x 2
D3VIOUS
DaCocoBrova x 2
DaddyZ x 2
Dakiparu
dammitmatt
Danielsan
dark_preacher
DarkAngelYuna x 2
Dartastic x 3
Dast
Dave Long
Dazzyman x 2
Deathcraze x 2
DeathNote
Dekelia
DemDereNads x 2
DemonCleaner
deMonkey
DenogginizerOS x 2
Dev1lZ x 2
deviant1 x 2
Dez
diable
dirtmonkey37
Dizzy x 3
DJ Brannon
DJ Sl4m
Dmczaf
Do The Mario
dock UK x 2
DoctorWho
Dommel
donzongrady
DopeyFish
Dot50Cal
Doytch
Dr. Strangelove
Dr_Cogent x 3
dr3upmushroom
DrDogg x 3
Drey1082 x 2
drizzle
Dr-L337
Drohne
dskillzhtown x 2
DSN2K
duckroll
duketogo88 x 2
DyersEve
EB Guy
EctoPrime
Edwood
EekTheKat
Emerson x 2
Endymion
Eric Hall
eshwaaz
eso76
EternalGamer
evanswolves x 2
evilernLeGG
Ezenzer
f_elz x 2
Fafaleda
Fallout-NL
fastasleep x 2
Fight for Freeform
Firewire x 4
FiRez
FirstInHell x 2
Fixed2BeBroken
FLEABttn
Fletcher x 2
Flock
FLUXCapacitor
Flynn
fnmore x 2
Foil
Forgotten Ancient x 3
FrenchMovieTheme
Frillen x 2
frogg609
frunty x 2
Fulleffect
fulsome
funkmastergeneral
Funky Papa
gandm
Gantz
Gassey
Gav
GavinGT
gbovo
GCQuinton x 2
Gek54
GeoNeo
george21000
GhaleonEB
Giganticus
Gilatif
GitarooMan x 2
gkrykewy x 3
glimmerman
godhandiscen x 2
godmoder
goku3000
goldenpp72
gollumsluvslave
Gorey x 2
Gowans007
Grecco
grendelrt x 3
Grug
gsarjeant
gsnyder
gstaff x 2
guise
GunFingers x 2
gunstarhero
gwiz210
Gyrian Seed
h0pper
h1nch
haarbol
hadareud
HaloFans x 2
Hammer24
Harmonica x 4
hgplayer1
Hitler Stole My Potato
hitoshi x 3
HolyStar
HydrantC12
hyp
IAmTheFMan
II VerTigo II
IITII x 2
ijm72 x 2
Infinitemadness
IoCaster
J. M. Romeo x 2
Jack Mehoffer
jarosh
Jason McMaster
Jax
jaypah x 2
JB1981 x 2
JdFoX187
jedimike x 2
JeStaH x 4
jetjevons x 2
jhferry
jlh x 2
jmdajr
JMPovoa
joaomgcd x 2
JoatesDogg187
jobber
JoeFenix
Joei
Joeroll x 2
johns all like
Jonm1010
jordan0386
JoseDFrog
J-Rzez
jstephenson
JuanMR2 x 2
Jugendstil x 2
Justin Bailey
Kabouter x 2
Kai Ozu x 2
Kaijima
Kaizoku
Kammie
Kammy
Karakand
Karg x 2
Karma Kramer
Keenest
Keyser Soze x 3
killermmn
KingJ2002
Kingpen x 4
Kintaro
knitoe
Koam
Kolgar
Kulock
lachesis
Lakitu
Leewan
Leondexter x 2
lessthanthree
Live from Kyoto
LJ11
Lonesome_Raod x 6
Louminater
Lo-Volt x 2
lucius
Lyte Edge
madmook
MajestY
Maleficent
Malleymal
Mallrat83
Man Delevium
Mana Knight
Manp
manzo
Mar_
Mareg
Marty Chinn
Matrix x 2
Matt09 x 2
mattiewheels
maus
McBacon
McDragon
MechDX x 2
Median x 2
Meier x 3
mentalward
Merovingian
Metaller x 2
Methodis
Methodman
MicVlaD
MidgarBlowedUp
MightyHealthy x 3
mm04
mmlemay
Mojovonio x 2
monchi-kun x 2
MonkeyLicker x 2
monoRAIL
Moostache x 5
Morbo
MotorbreathX
mr jones
Mr Spliff x 3
Mr Wispy
Mr. Smith
Mr.Potato Head
Mug
Mutanthands
Nameless x 2
Nathan Barley
NeoEdo
Nerevar
neuroticphil
newsguy x 2
nextgeneration
Nikashi
ninge
Ninja Scooter
NMC2006
Nobby
noire
Norante
Nos_G
Not a Jellyfish x 2
Nozi
NYR
Odjn
Odoul x 2
Odysseus
OldJadedGamer
oldschoolpinball x 3
Ollie Cromwell x 3
Omar Ismail
Omikaru
Oneself x 2
Oni Jazar x 3
OniShiro
op_ivy x 4
Orlics
Orodreth
Outcast2004
OverHeat
OzPulse
painey x 3
Patrickula
pCeSlAyEr
Pedobear
PepsimanVsJoe
pestul
pettersson
PG2G
phaethon0017 x 2
Phantom
pheeniks
phie x 5
phinious
Phoenix
Phoenix Down
Piper Az
PjotrStroganov
PnCIa
pollo
polyh3dron x 2
Ponn01
poppin fresh
pr0cs
Price Drop
Pseudo judo
psjohnson
Pug x 2
purnoman3000
Quagm1r3
Qwerty710710
R&R
rafman400
rage1973
Ramirez x 2
RandomVince
rastex x 2
Rayne.S
Razoric x 3
RDDragon
regs x 2
REK
Relix
Remy
RevenantKioku
Reznor x 2
Rhazer Fusion
rocksolidaudio x 2
Rocky_Balboa
rod x 2
-Rogue5-
Ronok
Rorschach x 3
Rowsdower
Roxas
RPS37 x 2
rs7k
Rud13inJapan x 2
Rummy Bunz
RumpledForeskin x 3
ryutaro’s mama
Ryuuga
RZRiot
sado | AggravatedGamers x 12
Safe Bet
Sallokin
sammy
SaotomeMtl x 2
Saurus
schism
Scottlarock
Screaming_Gremlin
SealSqueal
Sean
See
sega4ever x 2
segarr x 2
Session x 2
sext0n
Sh0k x 2
shantyman
Shawnwhann x 5
shidoshi
Sho Nuff x 2
Shpankey
shuri x 2
siamesedreamer
Sikaffy
Silentagony
sirris
SixStringPsycho x 5
Sjoerd
Skenzin
SketchTheArtist
Skilotonn
snack x 3
SnakeswithLasers
Son of Godzilla
sorryaboutdresden
Soundwave2k4
Spangler
Spazbiohaz x 3
SpectreRT
Speculawyer x 2
SpeedRazor x 2
Speevy x 2
Spencerr x 4
SpokkX
sportzhead x 3
squicken
Stantron
Station42
SterileZorro
Steve0409 x 2
stewy
Stoney Mason
Streaks x 2
Strider2K99
Striker029
Suikguy
Sullichin x 2
superbank x 3
superegular
SuperPac
Surfheart
Synbios459
Synthesizer Patel
Sysgen x 2
Systems_id
Tabris
Tailzo x 4
TAJ
tak
tebunker
tedtropy x 3
tegdf
teh_pwn
Tek
TekunoRobby
temp
tenchir
Teriyaki
terrygolder x 2
The Faceless Master
thebigkahuna x 3
TheDiabolical
TheGreatDave
TheKurgan
theo
TheWolf
tim1138
Tobor
Tokubetsu
Topfuel x 2
ToyMachine228
Trasher
Trax416
Treo360 x 4
trh
Trifle
Triz
trmas x 2
Troidal
TTP
TurboFool
Twicenightly
typhonsentra
Un4
Uncle x 2
UncleGuito
unomas x 3
VALIS x 2
Valkyr Junkie
Vark
Vectored Thrust
venne
VibratingDonkey x 2
Viddie
vinnay x 2
viper60782
voltron
vumpler
warcrow
Warm Machine
Weapon201
whatdidyousay
White Man
WHOAguitarninja
WickedLaharl x 2
winalot
Wolffen
X360FanBoyLOL
xenon
yaser imran virk
Zack-Morris
zedge
ZeMMiK
Zen
zesty
Zoe
ZombieSupaStar
Zonar x 2
ZootedGranny x 2

PetriP-TNT said:
So any percentages about NeoGaf 360 RROD? 30%? 60%? or maybe more like 90%?
806 dead consoles, from 582 individual posters. Refurb failure rate is 38%. As always, let me know if anything is incorrect.

Bildi

Speevy said:
The list has actually gotten smaller if you ask me.
I think it's just because the universe is expanding faster than the list.

Thanks for your work on the update adamsappel.

tedtropy

I honestly don't want to swap mine out unless there's some way I can insure I'll get one of the updated models. I'm getting tired of having to dig all the necessary cables out of my entertainment center for the bi-monthly 'effin breakdown.

Bojangles

I'm really glad MS stepped up and increased the warranty. I really wish they'd paired up with a retailer so you could just walk it in off the street though.. this 3-4 week shipping business blows hard.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Add me to the list. My fathers day present from last year went kaput on Friday. I'm upset, but happy so that now I can get of the the upgraded models.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
D3VI0US said:
How can they tell if there is a new heatsink on without opening the box up?

Look at my post in this thread # 5101.

Rorschach

Speevy said:
We really need to get some anecdotals on the new systems.

Has ANYONE had one of the new heatsink systems fail?
*raises hand*

It was the disc drive that failed, though...and it was pretty much DoA.

Orodreth

Speevy said:
We really need to get some anecdotals on the new systems.

Has ANYONE had one of the new heatsink systems fail?

Or any Elite (suppose not)

And btw, mine is 1 year old and died after about 4 months without using it at all (i was abroad), so it wasnt because of playing too much or being too hot (It was in the dash downloading content last time it worked).

And in my case, being an imported console, i´m out of the warranty rights so i´m gonna have to take it to a 3rd party shop for repair.

It maybe usefull for other importers to list the shops they can rely on when their 360s die.
I know about 2 ( one scottish and one spanish) and can post the link if its ok.

Treo360

I'm seriously considering the Elite, but I'd be damned if I can't shake this feeling of bad luck. 3 weeks now and MS has yet to successfully ship me my fraking box to my house. I'm working from home and receive packages from UPS/Fedx on a daily basis so I know it can't be an issue with me not being home.

D3VI0US said:
How can they tell if there is a new heatsink on without opening the box up?

They use this magical elementary school skill called reading, which is almost always gained before writing. You are an exception to this rule, apparently.

Manp

tahrikmili said:
They use this magical elementary school skill called reading, which is almost always gained before writing. You are an exception to this rule, apparently.

i think he's asking how to tell without opening the "box", not the "xbox". like how can you tell if a system has the new heatsink before buying it (like some new Elite systems).

:)

tedtropy

I say we start a GAF-action lawsuit requesting a "ONE FREE GAME LOL" coupon from Microsoft for all the bullshit beta hardware testing we've had to tolerate up to this point. Better still, the coupon should be hand-delivered to me by a fat guy squeezed into a Master Chief costume that then says "we're so, so sorry" after handing it to me.

oldboy1

Banned
tedtropy said:
I say we start a GAF-action lawsuit requesting a "ONE FREE GAME LOL" coupon from Microsoft for all the bullshit beta hardware testing we've had to tolerate up to this point. Better still, the coupon should be hand-delivered to me by a fat guy squeezed into a Master Chief costume that then says "we're so, so sorry" after handing it to me.

Continue that kind of talk & they'll send you the special replacement....

t2.1.gif

:lol

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
oldboy1 said:
Continue that kind of talk & they'll send you the special replacement....

t2.1.gif

:lol
I was waiting for that GIF! :lol

*right click, save image as*

The hilarious thing about that part of the film is the way they even play the little jingle like thte trailers do on 'Jump In.' :lol

a.wd

yup add me to the list too, i also have a defective PS3, and a couple of dead Dreamcast's and ps2's.....maybe its me......

Gowans

on the list I should be x2

tho I did have a 3month wait and still no comp from MS, need to give them a follow up phone call at some time for that and the fact I need my XBLA games to be reregitered on my new system.

Top Bottom