• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

dsl302g

Neo Member
I spilt my Coke on the 360. I had a glass of Coke and moved my mouse (360 is on my computer desk) and I hit my drink. The Coke went all over my keyboard, my computer screen, all over the new carpet, some Coke dripped on my pet dog and also went into my 360. The 360 didn't work after that, but my keyboard did? WTF Microsoft. Also, I put glue on my 360 controllers buttons and now they don't work. I have to take it back under warranty. Outrageous!

dsl302g said:
I spilt my Coke on the 360. I had a glass of Coke and moved my mouse (360 is on my computer desk) and I hit my drink. The Coke went all over my keyboard, my computer screen, all over the new carpet, some Coke dripped on my pet dog and also went into my 360. The 360 didn't work after that, but my keyboard did? WTF Microsoft. Also, I put glue on my 360 controllers buttons and now they don't work. I have to take it back under warranty. Outrageous!
in only 16 posts, i can already spot a pattern of trolling and damage control from this one.

he won't last long...

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
dsl302g said:

:|

Was this supposed to be funny?

seanoff

dsl302g said:

In a thread remarkably free of trolling we get this. Are you questioning the people in this thread, many of them Xbots of varying degrees?

Hopefully you won't last long. Totally uneccessary post.

voltron

dsl302g said:

lol avatar seems appropriate.

RandomVince said:
I've had no less than 10 dashboard lockups today. System completely freezes and needs to be restarted each time. Mostly this happens when I go to check my friends list and quit back out of it to move to the XBLA blade. Is this a sign of impending doom, or is there a simple fix?

Unfortunately for you thats exactly how things started to go to shit for me - but it took a while. Basically Id try and compare games in the dashboard menu and it would freeze up. Other dashboard actions has similar results. My advice is to force a red ring and get thing sent off and returned before Bioshock hits.

WTFing

Banned
dsl302g said:

heavyrain.jpg

"I sentence you to death, ... for stepping up on my dreams, for not giving a shit about me all those years, and for lying to me, and betraying me, and humiliate me. I am making an example out of you for all the assholes out there who think they can keep on fucking us over and over. Good bye."

You are late man, you should have come when they were swearing with their hand on the bible that the return rate was only 3-5%.

985boi

Ugh...I got my email from Microsoft about them shipping me my 360 back. They're giving me a refurbished console instead. I would rather have my original console back.

fabs115

didnt know where else to put this...

so i buy a premium yesterday, i tell the guy give me the newest one he has back there, he tells me, ok heres one from april, i say ok, take it, get home look at it through the box, and it says april 2006, so after seeing this i decide i will exchange it for another

i go back today to another fye, exchange the premium for another premium this time with a date of november 06. i take it home, take the system out of the plastic bag, and of course the vent to the right of the hard drive is completely snapped off at one point, and the whole vent itself is loose

so back i go to fye to exchange it, where the manager refuses to take it back saying i have to go through microsoft, 20 minutes of going back and forth, im about to erupt when i take it out of the box show them the vent, show them a huge bruise on the outside of the box where the vent goes, and finally she takes it back and gives me the original 360 i exchanged earlier in the day, she says just go to another store when u exchange it not ours, and i leave

pretty ridiculous at this point, if it wasnt for the 250 dollars in credit i would never buy this at fye, after this ill never shop there again

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
fabs, that sucks.

Question: My Live subscription ends on August 1. How do I extend it now without letting it expire? Bad things happen when it expires, right?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
985boi said:
Ugh...I got my email from Microsoft about them shipping me my 360 back. They're giving me a refurbished console instead. I would rather have my original console back.

Just pray it works.

Bildi

Bboy AJ said:
fabs, that sucks.

Question: My Live subscription ends on August 1. How do I extend it now without letting it expire? Bad things happen when it expires, right?
If you are on credit card it will renew automatically. If your cc expired bad things happen. In that case go to live.xbox.com - I think you can renew there if your 360 is stuffed.

If you are on prepaid cards, you can let it expire and you'll be able to go back to gold with another prepaid card no worries.

Can someone confirm that?

Bildi said:
If you are on credit card it will renew automatically. If your cc expired bad things happen. In that case go to live.xbox.com - I think you can renew there if your 360 is stuffed.

If you are on prepaid cards, you can let it expire and you'll be able to go back to gold with another prepaid card no worries.

confirmed.

dsl302g said:

you must be from the xbox.com forums. only there will find idiots that still defend msft like this.

ugh i hate going there looking for info.

Matrix

I dont think he's defending MS,I think he's making a joke out of us and us dealing with broken hardware.

Wicked,he's trolling the 360.

Well, I'll be sending mine off in a few days. They said it could be a 4 to 5 week process due to the backlog. Well, I got other stuff to play at least.

Matrix said:
I dont think he's defending MS,I think he's making a joke out of us and us dealing with broken hardware.

Wicked,he's trolling the 360.

d'oh! after rereading his post and looking at his post history i see that now.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Re-newing the 360 is an annual event. For everyone. MS is really f*cking us because we let them.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Bildi said:

I'm on prepaid cards. So just let it run out, then when I get ny xbox back, put in a new code and just pick up where I left off?

Thanks. That's a relief.

So for those experts out there...What could cause my games to completely freeze in my 360? It's only certain games. Like The Darkness. And the Halo 3 Beta. And when it happens the entire thing freezes. The screen freezes, music stops, controller gets stuck in perma-rumble if it's rumbling at the time of the freeze. You can't use the Xbox Guide button or anything. Even if you open the disc tray, the screen stays frozen. Any ideas?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
it means it's dying. Heavy stress on the GPU will make it freeze. Just like on mine, I could play XBLA games just fine, but once I started playing a regular 360 game, it would freeze on me when there was a lot of stuff going on onscreen.

xtwo

ok, today my xbox 360 pro stopped working. it freezes at the start up screen and all three green light disappears. here is my real Q. I have best buy replacement warranty. i called in and they asked me to sent my 360 with all the items like hard drive and controls and they will send my gift card worth of 399.99 plus tax. but i don't want to send my hard drive. i have a lot of things that i don't want to lose. what should i do? send back to best buy and get the money or send to MS, so they repair it.

CoilShot

yaser imran virk said:
ok, today my xbox 360 pro stopped working. it freezes at the start up screen and all three green light disappears. here is my real Q. I have best buy replacement warranty. i called in and they asked me to sent my 360 with all the items like hard drive and controls and they will send my gift card worth of 399.99 plus tax. but i don't want to send my hard drive. i have a lot of things that i don't want to lose. what should i do? send back to best buy and get the money or send to MS, so they repair it.

From what I've been reading on the internet with most people that want a new hard drive(Elite or 120GB) or send their xbox back. They either keep the hard drive or use the 512 MB memory card to backup everything. Might want to wait for a second opinion though because I've never did it before.

Rowsdower

My 360 died on June 9th. The Repair Center received my coffin on June 15th. And guess who's still without an Xbox.

I'll call tomorrow and see if i can get some MS Points and/or Forza 2 like my friend did.

Manp

Rowsdower said:
My 360 died on June 9th. The Repair Center received my coffin on June 15th. And guess who's still without an Xbox.

I'll call tomorrow and see if i can get some MS Points and/or Forza 2 like my friend did.

mine is sitting at the repair center since june 1st. go figure...

:)

jarosh

my 360 died several weeks ago. calling ms didn't really work out. after being on hold twice for almost an hour i decided to send them an e-mail. according to xbox.com they usually respond within 24 hours. after 2 weeks with no reply i sent them another e-mail. that was about 8 days ago.

so what the hell am i supposed to do? do they just NOT respond to support requests at all?

alr1ghtstart said:
it means it's dying. Heavy stress on the GPU will make it freeze. Just like on mine, I could play XBLA games just fine, but once I started playing a regular 360 game, it would freeze on me when there was a lot of stuff going on onscreen.

Yeah it doesn't usually freeze in multiplayer games...Small maps, and only about 8 players. But when I play single-player games when there's huge environments being loaded with lots of characters and whatnot, it freezes. The Darkness single-player freezes after about 15 seconds of gameplay. But I play Gears and Shadowrun multiplayer and then rarely ever freeze.

Matrix

jarosh said:
my 360 died several weeks ago. calling ms didn't really work out. after being on hold twice for almost an hour i decided to send them an e-mail. according to xbox.com they usually respond within 24 hours. after 2 weeks with no reply i sent them another e-mail. that was about 8 days ago.

so what the hell am i supposed to do? do they just NOT respond to support requests at all?

They sometimes respond to emails and if you do get a response they tell you to contact them on the phone :lol

jarosh

SOMETIMES? are you implying that they usually don't? they just... ignore e-mails sent through their online support request form?

Matrix

Ive had several times where they havent emailed me back.My last email to support it took them two days to respond and they said they couldnt help and to call cs.

Rowsdower

Alpha&Omega said:
Xbox360 got best hardware award at gametrailers.com....so what are you guy talking about?

Did you even see the video? Nomination is based on the quality of software available to the hardware.

le.phat

voltron said:
Man that sux.... I gues for you Americans getting the red ring has more weight to it as youll be forced to go consoleless for so much longer due to the back log. As I mentioned earlier Im in Australia and it looks like the turn around for sending it in and receiving it back will be exactly 7 days.

How many different service centres do you guys have?

i see what you did there

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
they won't do return requests over email. You have to call them. I tried the same thing and received this,

Hello!

Thank you for writing Xbox Customer Support!

I do apologize for the inconvenience. I understand that you see three lights on the Ring of Light flash red on the front of the Xbox 360 console and you would like to know how you can go about getting your console repaired. I am sorry but we, email support, do not have the information or the capabilities to process repairs. You will need to call Xbox Customer Support for your console’s service.

In the meantime, let us try to resolve the issue. Three flashing red lights indicate that the console is experiencing a hardware failure. Please examine the lights on the power supply. When you turn on the console, the power supply light should illuminate green even if the three lights on the Ring of Light flash red.

a. If the power supply unit light is orange, please use the steps on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906102.

b. If the power supply unit light is red, please use the steps on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906101.

c. If the power supply unit light is not illuminated, please use the steps on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906103.

If the ring of light continues to flash three of its quadrants while the light on the power supply’s indicator light still turns green, please call our phone support and provide your console serial number so that we may check your warranty and process a repair. The phone representative will provide you the instructions. Rest assured that when you call, immediate and proper steps will be taken to resolve your issue.

Information regarding the extended Xbox 360 warranty coverage could be found at http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/resources/warrantyupdate.htm

For further assistance, please don't hesitate to write back or call Xbox Phone Support at 1-800-4MYXBOX or 1-800-469-9269 (United States and Canada); or 425-635-7180 (International/direct dial to the US) at your earliest convenience, and we will be happy to help you. We are open everyday from 9am to 1am EST/ 6am to 10pm PST.

To expedite service, please provide Service Request Number <xxx> when you call.

Note: You may link your console to your Windows Live ID, and check repair status online at the web site: http://service.xbox.com.

Sincerely,

Jam
Xbox Customer Care Team

Manp

jarosh said:
SOMETIMES? are you implying that they usually don't? they just... ignore e-mails sent through their online support request form?

i see... you prefer to be ignored at the phone :p

:)

Rorschach

jarosh said:

E-mail won't get you anywhere, anyway. They'll just refer you to the hotline. If you're in the US, you're just gonna have to grin and bear it. The hold times are really bad right now for everyone. I tried calling during hours when no one is usually home or awake. The only problem is that now there's a LOT of requests and kids are out for the summer.

So are you guys saying that the current turnaround time for dead 360's in Canada is around a MONTH?! Are you kidding me??

It used to be like 3 days.

Does anyone happen to know just when this massive amount of red ring probles will end? I mean I've held off on getting a 360 for a host of reasons, but one of the big ones is i dont need another Xbox system breaking down on me. Nor do I really care to have to even bother with irritating repair lines.

Summary: The retroactive warranty thing aside, is there really anything? Or am I best just staying away from the 360.

ManDudeChild said:
Summary: The retroactive warranty thing aside, is there really anything? Or am I best just staying away from the 360.

Microsoft has developed a new chip called the "Falcon" that will be going into new Xbox 360 units starting this fall. It will not only stop the red ring issues but it's also cheaper for Microsoft to make. Some think that Microsoft could drop the 360 price when it goes into production. But that part is just speculation.

Top Bottom