• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mysterious Marvel Studios event/presentation to take place in LA Tuesday 28th October

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda hope that Dr. Strange Casting isn't True. *sigh* Whatever this event is going to be it's probably going to be about Dr. Strange... hopefully

Blader

yeah, definitely seems like it'll involve Strange now.

Marvel had been planning/hoping to debut Phoenix as Strange at Comic Con, maybe this their way of making up for that and still getting a public event out of the casting?

yeah, definitely seems like it'll involve Strange now.

Marvel had been planning/hoping to debut Phoenix as Strange at Comic Con, maybe this their way of making up for that and still getting a public event out of the casting?

probably that used as an excuse to set up their own event outside of the Comic-Con buzz so they can get the added attention. wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow is basically the kinda thing we would have seen at NYCC if they had the content for it.

-Strange announcement with Cumberbatch and director/crew on stage
-Captain America 3 title announcement with Evans/RDJ/Wilson on stage
-Tentative titles for Phase 3 movies
-Event only screenings of new footage for AoU, Ant-Man and Daredevil

Logically, wouldn't the event be to showcase their film slate for the rest of the decade? They probably saw how much buzz DC got and Disney authorized them to go ahead and pull back the curtain little bit.

Tom_Cody

probably that used as an excuse to set up their own event outside of the Comic-Con buzz so they can get the added attention. wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow is basically the kinda thing we would have seen at NYCC if they had the content for it.

-Strange announcement with Cumberbatch and director/crew on stage
-Captain America 3 title announcement with Evans/RDJ/Wilson on stage
-Tentative titles for Phase 3 movies
-Event only screenings of new footage for AoU, Ant-Man and Daredevil
I'm personally guessing that Daredevil will be absent.

I was at the NYCC Daredevil presentation and they made it extremely clear that it was a Marvel Television (Jeff Loeb) project and not a Marvel Films (Kevin Feige) project. Loeb moderated the panel (Feige wasn't there) and little to nothing about the films was mentioned. I got the sense that there is a bit of a rift between the divisions. This might also explain why the Netflix series are moving along so slowly.

/speculation

I'm personally guessing that Daredevil will be absent.

I was at the NYCC Daredevil presentation and they made it extremely clear that it was a Marvel Television (Jeff Loeb) project and not a Marvel Films (Kevin Feige) project. Loeb moderated the panel (Feige wasn't there) and little to nothing about the films was mentioned. I got the sense that there is a bit of a rift between the divisions. This might also explain why the Netflix series are moving along so slowly.

/speculation

Agent Carter is the only TV project that looks to have any real creative involvement from Studios proper, and it remains to be seen if that'll amount to much.

I wouldn't be surprised if this event fills in the blanks of Phase 3. But assuming that Avengers 3 happens May 2018, there are only two movies left unknown to us in Phase 3, one which is likely Thor 3.

July 2015: Ant Man
May 2016: Captain America 3
July 2016: Dr. Strange (likely)
May 2017: ???
July 2017: Guardians of the Galaxy 2
November 2017: ???
May 2018: Avengers 3 (likely)

Now the money has been on Thor 3 getting that May 2017 spot, leaving only one movie left in Phase 3 that we don't know about. In that case, I think there are only 4 options, Inhumans, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, or Hulk 2. But there have been rumors that Avengers 2 sets up Captain Marvel and Black Panther, so it would be strange for one of them to get a Phase 3 film but not the other. So could Phase 3 end up being extended? We know that Marvel wants to stick to an Avengers film every 3 years, so the latest Avengers 3 could happen would be July 2018, allowing one extra movie. But why would Marvel give up that plum May spot for the Avengers? So in that case, if Captain Marvel or Black Panther get a movie in November 2017, I expect the other to get the slot right after Avengers 3.

But I expect a lot of this will be clarified tomorrow, and I expect the purpose of the event is to steal DC's thunder after they announced their slate up to 2020.

BLACKLAC

I wouldn't be surprised if this event fills in the blanks of Phase 3. But assuming that Avengers 3 happens May 2018, there are only two movies left unknown to us in Phase 3, one which is likely Thor 3.

Fyi there are 3 films in 2018. As well as an unannounced film for 2019 (I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 more dates confirmed for 2019).

Feige has said Phase 3 will be longer than either previous phases so I doubt Avengers is in 2018.

Stark

Banned
I'll be pretty happy if they just announce the movies for some of those dates. That's all I really want and anything else is bonus.

The thor movies are really low quality i'd rather have a new IP in that slot like Black panther or something

Disagree. Loved Thor 1 it was one of the best Phase 1 films and TDW wasn't that bad. Just mediocre. I have faith they can have a great sequel
depending on the director.

sol_bad

It's about the script too. I think Marvel realised they screwed up with Thor 2 and are taking their time with the third one.

Fyi there are 3 films in 2018. As well as an unannounced film for 2019 (I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 more dates confirmed for 2019).

Feige has said Phase 3 will be longer than either previous phases so I doubt Avengers is in 2018.

The third 2018 movie is in November, and I can't see Avengers 3 happening then.

And even if Avengers 3 happens May 2018, Phase 3 will still be the longest phase so far. Feige also said recently that he wanted Marvel to stick to an Avengers movie every 3 years, so going into 2019 would conflict with that. We'll just have to wait and see though.

Jtrizzy

I'll be pretty happy if they just announce the movies for some of those dates. That's all I really want and anything else is bonus.

Disagree. Loved Thor 1 it was one of the best Phase 1 films and TDW wasn't that bad. Just mediocre. I have faith they can have a great sequel
depending on the director.

Same. I loved Thor 1, and 2 grows on me more and more each time. I will admit it isn't on par with most of the MCU movies, and I left dissapointed after the first viewing in the theatre. but by no means is it as bad as many people make it out to be.

Internet hive mind complaints: Thor 2 is terrible, and Avengers looks like a tv show. People should just enjoy these movies for what they are.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'd imagine it's not just the Dr. Strange thing. Probably also an official announcement on Cap 3. Maybe even beyond that, but I won't get ahead of myself there... I'd love to see some Phase 3 movies finally confirmed.

Shouldn't Inhumans be in there, as well?
We know they're developing it but I'm not sure how far along they are in the process. Whereas I know that at least with regards to Captain Marvel (Avengers 2 spoilers)
Carol supposedly has a cameo in Age of Ultron. It would be weird for her to not show up again in Phase 3. Unless she could be involved in Guardians of the Galaxy 2?

Phase 3 slate presented by BC in costume. Boom.

You mean CB, right?

8lOVuMp.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah I really doubt Marvel would have a liveblog just for footage and a single casting announcement. They have to be announcing some movies.
I think Dr. Strange would count as an announcement TBH.

Anyways, I expect that at the bare minimum, but I think it's highly unlikely we get only one movie announcement.

Though, I think people are setting themselves up for disappointment if they think we're gonna get casting for multiple films, especially when many of them are MANY years out.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
What I'm expecting:
-Doctor Strange announcement (with Cumberbatch casting)
-Captain America 3 title (and Downey casting)

What I'm hoping for:
-Black Panther
-Captain Marvel
-Marvel/Disney gets Spider-Man back

PopeReal

What I'm expecting:

What I'm hoping for:
-Black Panther
-Captain Marvel

My question would be why would they do this big thing just for Doctor Strange and Captain America? There has to be something else. Just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm expecting the 2016 stuff that's already been reported and that Marvel probably would have announced back at SDCC if the deals had been signed in time, plus AoU and Ant-Man footage that won't be released to the public. If we get any news about their 2017 slate, let alone beyond - great, but not getting my hopes up too high.

TDLink

What I'm expecting:

What I'm hoping for:
-Black Panther
-Captain Marvel

I agree with this.

Based on the Cumberbatch news everywhere today a confirmation of him as Strange is a definite I would think. But there has to be more. RDJ confirmation for Cap 3 and the movie's title makes perfect sense. Fleshing out more of Phase 3 also makes sense, which hopefully includes Black Panther at minimum.

Spider-man announcement is the only thing I'm iffy on but I would love it to happen.

Steven Weintraub @colliderfrosty
can't say why because I won't spoil it, but I'm now a lot more excited for tomorrow's Marvel event. Think it's going to be a fun morning.

Dr Strange seems like a shoe in at this point. Beyond that, I'm not sure. Given all the Strange news the last few months, I find Black Panther highly unlikely unless they just announce that they are going to make a Black Panther movie. That would seem strange to hold an entire event for though, just to get on stage and say "we are making a Black Panther movie and here is the logo". At least with Strange they can get Cumberbatch on stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom