• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Name for a Video Game Themed Bar / Restaurant

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
7th Heaven
Can't believe this wasn't even in the poll options haha. But yeah this one, along with many others (btw Phoenix Down has a typo in the poll), might be in violation of some copyright...

So I'd go with uh... I don't know, I kinda cringe at every one of these names :p but "Another Castle", "The Citadel", "Press Start" and "Save Point" are decent I guess. "XP Bar" I find tacky for some reason, but that might be my distaste of the XP bars in every modern game... xD

Also, make sure you have a Jill Sandwich on the menu.
Good point.

I'm going to bring up the sanitary issues of shared consoles / computers in a place where your customers eat. You'd better be ready to wipe the controllers down after every person uses one or someone is going to catch something real nasty.
I'm sure he thought of these things already (or, well, I hope so!).

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Full disclaimer: naming is actually my full-time job, and what my company is about. For real.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, OP, but have you thought about the legal aspect of this? Meaning, have you considered that if you value your bar/restaurant's brand, you will need to register the name as a trademark, and if you need a domain name (which you most assuredly do), you will need to make sure the name is available as whatever extension you need (most likely .com, I take it)?

[EDIT] I see a lot of verbatim references to specific games in your list. Just be careful that some of those are not actually trademarked in your categories of products and services.

Rahvar

I know there's a bar in SF with arcade machines called Soda Popinski.

Surprised no one has gone for Call of Boozy yet.

Off the top of my head..

Level up
Extra Life
Digital Diner
Co-op Diner
Dinner for 1-8 Players
Eat, Drink & Play

I know there's a bar in SF with arcade machines called Soda Popinski.

Surprised no one has gone for Call of Boozy yet.

Off the top of my head..

Level up
Extra Life
Digital Diner
Co-op Diner
Dinner for 1-8 Players
Eat, Drink & Play

Yeah Soda Popinski proves that you can get away with certain licensed video game titles, but definitely be careful OP. And like someone else said, don't fuck with the pokemon company.

Schnei871

Full disclaimer: naming is actually my full-time job, and what my company is about. For real.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, OP, but have you thought about the legal aspect of this? Meaning, have you considered that if you value your bar/restaurant's brand, you will need to register the name as a trademark, and if you need a domain name (which you most assuredly do), you will need to make sure the name is available as whatever extension you need (most likely .com, I take it)?

Hi Kilrogg! Thanks for your advice. I have thought of this and have checked www.___.com for each name before putting them in the poll. So they're all free for the moment. If you have insight on copyrights and trademarks I'd be very interested in talking to you more

rdytoroll

Not the OP, but this got me thinking so I put in bar.tv and it links me to the fucking Bacardi website

Rahvar

Only thing I'm qualified to talk about is the domain. There's so many extensions nowdays thay are viable so it shouldn't be a problem. KFC ended up having to use a sub extension here in Sweden for their current launch because the national .se was taken.

Schnei871

[EDIT] I see a lot of verbatim references to specific games in your list. Just be careful that some of those are not actually trademarked in your categories of products and services.

Hey Kilrogg, this place has a drink called Pickachu's Revenge (http://www.expbar.ca/menu#target_2). Do you think they got permission for that or are just playing it low?

I like A Drink to the Past from the top of this page. Also, you are missing the obvious answer :

GamerGate

Seriously though, what about just Pause?

Soft Resetii's

Savestates

Press 'A' to Order

Check Point

Double Jumpers

Boost Power

Falcon Lunch "Show your food!!"

Guard Break

Bitroid: Other Meal

Pac-Me

Item Get!

100% Comp Eat

I love coming up with names.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Only thing I'm qualified to talk about is the domain. There's so many extensions nowdays thay are viable so it shouldn't be a problem. KFC ended up having to use a sub extension here in Sweden for their current launch because the national .se was taken.

We actually wrote a piece on Xbox One back when the name was first unveiled. You wouldn't believe how greedy people are: the name was unveiled on May 21st at 5pm (forget the year), and in the MINUTES that followed the announcement, all the main "xboxone" domain names were bought by random people who were just hoping to make a quick buck by then reselling the domain to Microsoft. Was really entertaining to watch, honestly. You seem to know your stuff, so you probably were already aware of that, or you're not surprised at all.

Not the OP, but this got me thinking so I put in bar.tv and it links me to the fucking Bacardi website

Welcome to the fabulous clusterfuck of a world that is domain names today.

Hey Kilrogg, this place has a drink called Pickachu's Revenge (http://www.expbar.ca/menu#target_2). Do you think they got permission for that or are just playing it low?
They also have a burger called the Triforce that looks just like yours in OP ;)
ba45b042f71b40410031abc0acd70d9d.jpg

I guess you used some stock / public domain photo but you should be careful with that too. It's not easy...

What a list! I like SaveStates
Thank you. I'm particularly proud of the last one since I think it works multiple ways.

You see, if someone says it fast enough it will sound like 'come eat' and when they enter the restaurant, they will liken the 'comp' to be short for computer. But those familiar with games will see it as a play on '100% complete' or if they are the competitive type, they will see it as 'compete.'

Top Bottom