• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 |OT| CC2 Doing Pierrot's Work

Sagroth

I've bought pretty much every other game in this series, and other Naruto fighting games besides, but I think I might skip this one until a sale.

Essentially, I've realized that what REALLY interests me is seeing all the super moves in action, and a YouTube video can serve the same function for me.

This is a solid game series(and a great one for fans), though.

Sesha

Hero 5 has the biggest roster, Hero 3 has customizable jutsu and ougis. Get either of them. I never liked 4 because, problematic assists aside, it's lacking in new content and the combat feels off.

I really want an Accel 4/Hero 6. CC2, just reuse the existing assets. Alas.

Ah, and as always, game is not even out and I already know everything about it (apart from story mode, but that barely counts).

I wish I had self control to avoid news and stuff, like I have with fallout and other big games. For some reason I can go into full black out for those and be borderline blind to the final product. But when it's fanservice stuff like this I end up following every single leak and reveal...

PS: my psn is Hentlovr

SoulUnison

Banned
I sure hope they fixed the ridiculous load times from the PC/STEAM version of Revolution.
It was so bad I actually stopped playing the game for more than a year.

Storm 3 was fine. Loads were snappy and understandable, returning to Character Select from an Online Battle was maybe 5 or 6 seconds.

Storm Revolution, though... Sonic '06-style loading screens for loading screens. Sometimes there's a 15-20 second loading screen going back and forth between MENUS. Returning to the Character Select after an Online Battle is upwards of 30 seconds.

You can easily spend just as much time waiting for Revolution as you do getting to play it.

Also, those of you planning on trying to enjoy Online Matches, I recommend Single Battles.
Team Battles in the previous games were already a chaotic spammy nightmare festival, and now with Linked Awakenings, Leader Change and the removal of the Revolution "Battle Type" system I can only imagine it being worse.
Are you ready to face three different Uchihas, all in Soosano'o, at the same time?

Also, those of you planning on trying to enjoy Online Matches, I recommend Single Battles.
Team Battles in the previous games were already a chaotic spammy nightmare festival, and now with Linked Awakenings, Leader Change and the removal of the Revolution "Battle Type" system I can only imagine it being worse.
Are you ready to face three different Uchihas, all in Soosano'o, at the same time?

Two problems with that
a) Ranked is only teams, so that would lock people to Player Matches only... Although considering that broken BP system from Revolution that actively rewards Rage Quitting, that may be a plus for some
b) It shuts down all those new features like Linked Awakenings and Leader Change. The latter has already been proven with Youtube videos, to have crazy potential and adds quite a bit of depth this game desperately needs.

Fj0823

Preordered.

I get Boruto Sarada and The Last stuff right?

Is Hokage Naruto in the base game or is it part of the season pass? (won't buy until I know the actual content)

Watched some of the new ultimate jutsu's. CC2 have outdone themselves again.

Edit: Wow, I'll spoil tag this just in case
dying at the sexy reverse harem jutsu. Especially cool how it changes when used on Kaguya

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm so hyped!!! Please post more!!!!

Your wish is my command

tumblr_nsmrd7YTdt1rs5gxyo1_500.gif

tumblr_nqvhxmgFxk1rs5gxyo1_500.gif

tumblr_nqvhg9Qq6W1rs5gxyo2_r1_500.gif

tumblr_nqvh85MDDN1rs5gxyo1_500.gif

royox

Since the "Shippuden" saga began on the Manga I hated Sasuke...but god dammit those gifs. Going to main this fucker.

SilentRob

I just found out that instead of animating the scenes between the fights in their own engine and presenting them in their own way, CC2 decided to use kinda animated stills from the god-ugly anime I was trying to avoid for this game?

Why? Seriously, what in the world? The story mode isn't even half as long as the one in UNS3, which is entirely understandable considering the amount of story left to tell. The traversable semi-open world is gone and instead got it's own mode - which again, is fine because it wouldn't make a lot of sense in this game's storyline.

But in return I was expecting a full-blown Story mode with continous cutscenes. Not a half-assed mission select that fills up time between fights with stills from the anime. This is such a huge step back in comparison to UNS 2 & 3 :/

Revven

I just found out that instead of animating the scenes between the fights in their own engine and presenting them in their own way, CC2 decided to use kinda animated stills from the god-ugly anime I was trying to avoid for this game?

Why? Seriously, what in the world? The story mode isn't even half as long as the one in UNS3, which is entirely understandable considering the amount of story left to tell. The traversable semi-open world is gone and instead got it's own mode - which again, is fine because it wouldn't make a lot of sense in this game's storyline.

But in return I was expecting a full-blown Story mode with continous cutscenes. Not a half-assed mission select that fills up time between fights with stills from the anime. This is such a huge step back in comparison to UNS 2 & 3 :/

There's still going to be the really big cutscenes, it just seems CC2 decided to relegate some of the "in-between" moments to stills. I haven't checked, personally, to see how "bad" it is to avoid spoiling the game (even though I know what happens from the manga) but it's far from going to be purely anime stills for the entire game like the in between games (Generations & Revolution) I'm guessing.

Mediking

Your wish is my command

tumblr_nsmrd7YTdt1rs5gxyo1_500.gif

tumblr_nqvhxmgFxk1rs5gxyo1_500.gif

tumblr_nqvhg9Qq6W1rs5gxyo2_r1_500.gif

tumblr_nqvh85MDDN1rs5gxyo1_500.gif

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Game is freaking gorgeous and the hype is so real! This will be my first Naruto game since Uzamaki Chronicles from the Playstation 2. I have one quick question... You can explore villages and stuff right? It's not just fighting, right?

SilentRob

There's still going to be the really big cutscenes, it just seems CC2 decided to relegate some of the "in-between" moments to stills. I haven't checked, personally, to see how "bad" it is to avoid spoiling the game (even though I know what happens from the manga) but it's far from purely anime stills for the entire game.

Oh yeah, there are still the typical CC2-Quick-Time-Sequences we love these games for, but everything in between seems to be gone. Whenever there's no fighting going on, it just cut's to anime stills and VO.

I'm replaying UNS3 right now and they actually went to pretty great lengths to present even the longest conversations in an interesting way, using many different camera angles etc. That's why I loved these game's story modes: They presented me a condensed version of the anime's story in an amazing looking engine. Yes, there were some anime stills here and there, but they were used sparringly. Now it's just..."Woops, someone put their weapon down, let's cut to some way worse looking anime stills!"

I also really don't enjoy the fact the game is so chopped up now. The game seems to throw you into a menu after every big fight, so you can choose the next one. No transition, nothing. Just Anime stills, amazing looking fight, Anime Stills, END. That's...still cool, I guess, but it's also such a huge step back compared to it's predecessor's.

With its reliance on largely already established characters and movesets and way, way shorter story mode I don't really understand where the ressources went into instead right now...The game looks amazing! But it also looked amazing before. Not THAT amazing, but still, pretty damn amazing :p

You can explore villages and stuff right? It's not just fighting, right?

You could in UNS 2, got scaled back in UNS 3 and is now missing from the story mode in UNS 4 - however, you can traverse the world in a seperate "Adventure Mode", do fetch quests there etc. As far as I understand there are not going to be huge boss fights or quick time sequences or anything like that, you'll just be able to relive fights from the previous games in the samer manner as you would by choosing a 1V1 Free Fight match.

ramyeon

These gifs are amazing. Never played a Naruto game before and I stopped watching the series a bit into Shippuden (Although I kind of read the Wiki every now and then) but I can't wait for this. Pre-ordered last week and my copy shipped early this morning, better arrive tomorrow.

Mediking

You could in UNS 2, got scaled back in UNS 3 and is now missing from the story mode in UNS 3 - however, you can traverse the world in a seperate "Adventure Mode", do fetch quests there etc. As far as I understand there are not going to be huge boss fights or quick time sequences or anything like that, you'll just be able to relive fights from the previous games in the samer manner as you would by choosing a 1V1 Free Fight match.

Wow... That sounds...ummm... bad.... I plan on being in Adventure Mode the most... I was hoping it would be packed to the brim with content...

So Story Mode must just be fighting key and significant battles...

Inuhanyou

There are a lot of real time cutscenes for this game, but yeah, its not straight real time like it was for 2 or 3. Its more like a combination of that and generations.

That being said, CC2 has 3 current gen AAA projects in UE4 for PS4(and presumably other consoles) in the works. They are looking to expand beyond Naruto and so this game isn't their full priority like previous numbered Storm entrees.

ED Cantu

I'm very hyped for this, already preordered from PSN so I'll have to wait until next tuesday to play ;_;

By the ways has the opening for the game benn posted already? here it is:
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 - Opening Intro

Oh yeah, there are still the typical CC2-Quick-Time-Sequences we love these games for, but everything in between seems to be gone. Whenever there's no fighting going on, it just cut's to anime stills and VO.

Really? that's odd, I (foolishly) saw a video earlier today that was in my recommended list on youtube, it was complete story cut-scene done with the game's graphics
(Neji's death)
, it lasted more than 11 minutes and there weren't any QT prompts or anything like that, just pure story, done in the game's graphics, it was gorgeous. So I wouldn't worry about the story mode.

I'm very hyped for this, already preordered from PSN so I'll have to wait until next tuesday to play ;_;

By the ways has the opening for the game benn posted already? here it is:
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 - Opening Intro

Really? that's odd, I (foolishly) saw a video earlier today that was in my recommended list on youtube, it was complete story cut-scene done with the game's graphics
(Neji's death)
, it lasted more than 11 minutes and there weren't any QT prompts or anything like that, just pure story, done in the game's graphics, it was gorgeous. So I wouldn't worry about the story mode.

thanks! Can anyone else confirm it's like this throughout the game? Setting expectations to reasonable for now.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

What?! Noooooooooooo! :(

Inuhanyou

thanks! Can anyone else confirm it's like this throughout the game? Setting expectations to reasonable for now.

What?! Noooooooooooo! :(

Yeah, not all of the scenes are real time. There are certain ones that are generations style still frames.

None of the battles are effected though.

It just says to me that CC2 are not all in on this game, which they obviously arent considering how many projects they have

zugzug

Wow so reading the list of chars I guess I missed some thing in the Canon when it lists someone as hokage after Tsunade. Never knew....

Id love to buy this, I really liked the demo, but I have no clue who anyone is anymore. Does the game have any kind of recap of the previous games stories?

Id love to buy this, I really liked the demo, but I have no clue who anyone is anymore. Does the game have any kind of recap of the previous games stories?

There are flashback missions in the Adventure mode, which is separate from Story mode, but the mode itself is set "after story mode' chronologically, so you technically should finish story first.
There's no elegant way to go about this.

Impulsor

Yeah, not all of the scenes are real time. There are certain ones that are generations style still frames.

None of the battles are effected though.

It just says to me that CC2 are not all in on this game, which they obviously arent considering how many projects they have
The last game I played in the series was UNS2, and while I do miss some real time scenes in this one, it's not that bad.

Most of the cool stuff is in real time (prerendered) and the exposition, as in, characters standing around and talking scenes are made with stills and all the cool action scenes are in real time.

Gameplay is the best it has ever been though. (I did not own UNS3 or UNSR, but I did have the chance to play them)

Not really, you get a lot of flashbacks to fill in the gaps of the whole arc and better understand motivations for some characters and learn how they ended up where they are and why.

But you don't really get a good recap, a really really short one at the beginning of story mode.

Maybe in adventure mode? Haven't tried that one yet though, so I can't confirm.

will this game even remotely resemble a competitive fighter or is it still just an anime game?

There is depth and strategy at the top end though not nearly as much as fighting games like Street Fighter and such.

Since the "Shippuden" saga began on the Manga I hated Sasuke...but god dammit those gifs. Going to main this fucker.

Sasuke The Last is a beast. His ultimate is one of the best as well.

wQdizo.gif

360 pull

Impulsor

Sasuke The Last is a beast. His ultimate is one of the best as well.

wQdizo.gif

360 pull

I tried out both Naruto and Sasuke the last yesterday and OMG. Both are awesome but sasuke just feels OP.

Can't wait for the adult versions. The ones from
Boruto: the movie.

Top Bottom