• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog Exmployee: "Palworld Was Made Nefariously"

Just like Genshin whatever, Nintendo knockoffs with a twist seem to sell like nothing else. Funny how that game Sony correctly predicted the success and jumped ahead of the competition while Ms did the same with pokemon with guns game.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Being consistently successful is difficult, but what about luck? The formula works, the game is addicting and for me has nothing to do with its similarities to Pokémon, the progression system is what’s addicting.

Majormaxxx

I remember devs were salty about another super successful game... Or maybe more than one? It is such an incredibly bad look.

I think Baldur's Gate 3 made them super salty.

Also - was it Elden Ring as well?

Fabieter

I remember devs were salty about another super successful game... Or maybe more than one? It is such an incredibly bad look.

I think Baldur's Gate 3 made them super salty.

Also - was it Elden Ring as well?

Well both of them were creativity in another league. Calling palworld in the same sentence as bg3 and ER feels like blasphemy.

BouncyFrag

Palworld getting hit from all sides…
bomb.gif

Majormaxxx

Well both of them were creativity in another league. Calling palworld in the same sentence as bg3 and ER feels like blasphemy.
It is about the level of success and the envy from other devs. I am not commenting on the content of these products.

If I recall, they cried that BG3 was setting unrealistically high bars for the industry. With this new fad, they whinge that it is a copy-paste. I don't remember what their problem with Elden Ring was anymore...

Anyway...

Fabieter

It is about the level of success and the envy from other devs. I am not commenting on the content of these products.

If I recall, they cried that BG3 was setting unrealistically high bars for the industry. With this new fad, they whinge that it is a copy-paste. I don't remember what their problem with Elden Ring was anymore...

Anyway...

The other guys enhanced their own concept to new heights instead of copying every aspect of other games and doing shady stuff with the assets at best. I dont think it's possible to sue them but to compare it with ER and BG 3 is ridiculous.

Anyway...
No accessibility options made dweebs mad.

Majormaxxx

The other guys enhanced their own concept to new heights instead of copying every aspect of other games and doing shady stuff with the assets at best. I dont think it's possible to sue them but to compare it with ER and BG 3 is ridiculous.
I understand your point, but as I stated I am not commenting on the artistic or professional content of the products. Just the level of reach and the salty reaction from devs. I appreciate your response but you just repeated the same thing you initially wrote.

Majormaxxx

I think a ubisoft dev took some swings at it and that's how we got all the ubisoft map icon memes.
The first time I saw the map with all icons it took me out of the game immediately. Maybe I even switched off the console lol. I think it was maybe AC4 or Watch Dogs 1. It just took me out of the story because suddenly these icons appeared with no explanation.

Fabieter

I understand your point, but as I stated I am not commenting on the artistic or professional content of the products. Just the level of reach and the salty reaction from devs. I appreciate your response but you just repeated the same thing you initially wrote.

I get the salt here somewhat when am artist gets pissed on the game that's potentially using AI for its art instead of paying people like him. Is it petty yes but I think its perspective isn't as bad as people think it is.

Majormaxxx

I get the salt here somewhat when am artist gets pissed on the game that's potentially using AI for its art instead of paying people like him. Is it petty yes but I think its perspective isn't as bad as people think it is.
I don't think it is bad in general. I think it is harmful for the person expressing it. It is a limiting belief.

Lol I knew it would turn into a shit on naughty dog thread even though its just one employee giving his personal opinion. Crazy how last of us 2 completely tanked naughty dogs reputation when they were so loved before that.

RagnarokIV

These western wooly woofter devs are going to cry about every runaway success following BG3?

Why can't they just shut the fuck up and do their job? All mouth and no trousers.

Boss Mog

How is the plight of these poor souls un-virtue?
If you're actually asking that question then any answer I give would be pointless so I won't waste my time on it and I'm not here to derail.

The point was more about the type of people who virtue signal on social media be it palestinian flag, Ukrainian flag, trans flag, commie fist, etc... it doesn't matter. They're not very reliable sources of information and they rarely have good intentions.

DrFigs

do you guys ever think that it's okay that some people are wrong and they don't have to be ridiculed for it? that even if this guy does work at naughty dog, he's just some guy on the internet who can say things you disagree with. I understand if it was Neil Druckman, or the president of playstation or something. but its literally just some guy at naughty dog. why does it matter to you that he thinks this.

Last edited:

Certinty

It's time for Naughty Dog to wake up and realise that without Neil Druckmann their time, money and effort could be far better used instead of being this petty instead.

Majormaxxx

do you guys ever think that it's okay that some people are wrong and they don't have to be ridiculed for it? that even if this guy does work at naughty dog, he's just some guy on the internet who can say things you disagree with
It is ok for people to have different opinions.

It is ok to agree with someone on something and disagree on another thing.

Also, social media was a mistake

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Why does one post get this much reaction? Naughty Dog has 100s of devs. One of them whining on Xitter is absolutely meaningless. He could be the asshole that steals people's yogurt from the fridge.

That said, it does appear that they tool shortcuts at the very least, by copying designs. Whether that was directly lifting assets or recreating from scratch, it is lack of pure originality. But that is a relatively tiny slice of a game and this whiner seems to imply that they somehow were able to skip the hard steps which clearly shows that he is not a very good dev because that isn't even feasible. The game is just a viral success, A cheap game that people are lapping up due to the exposure and lack of anything else with similar buzz.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
It's time for Naughty Dog to wake up and realise that without Neil Druckmann their time, money and effort could be far better used instead of being this petty instead.
Right because one low-level employee's Xeet is representative of the whole studio. Heck it applies to Sony and thus all of Japan too.

Midn1ght

Big Devs: "AI is amazing and we'll definitely use it one way or another in the future."

Small Dev: "Hey! We sold 8 millions copies of our really low budget game and yeah we used a little bit of AI"

Big Devs:

Fox Tv Crying GIF by ScreamQueens

Also:

Naughty Dogs: "We were hugely inspired by the books "The Road" and "City of Thieves" for The Last of Us"

Small Dev: "Pokemon was definitely an inspiration for our game. "

Naughty Dogs:
I Hate You Hbo GIF by Room104

I know I know... it's just one guy at ND.

gamer82

oh the drama over this game, games are hard to make i'm sure they are and i wouldn't know where to start but like all things in life people have skills that others don't , can learn easily etc . how about be happy for another dev they have a succesfull launch , more content for gamers and worry about your own games your making. social media loves tearing people down so thirsty for clicks and engagment

Cyborg

Neogaf knowing better than actual devs who make games for living. Looking at the game you can have doubts if it all fair game.

but palworld gained so much traction because pokémon, otherwise those sales would have been impossible.
If naughty dog creates a cheap mp game we don't know if it will be succesful.
Would modern ND still be here if they didn't rip off Indiana Jones for their new gormula back in the day?

Chinese gov official to innocent citizen "I have no proof but it just feels like you are breaking the law"

Thank god we live in a country that we have the right to a fair trial and we are innocent until proven guilty.

Fredrik

I’m a creative person, I see AI as a tool to remove the boring repetitive things so I have more time to do the fun stuff. If I think AI becomes better than myself then I have to improve my skills or find a way to show that my stuff is more ”real” or areas where my skills could improve AI created things.
People still paint with paint brushes even though there is digital art with all kinds of method to ”cheat”. People still play the drums even though there are drum plugs in Cubase. Etc.

Last edited:

Fabieter

I’m a creative person, I see AI as a tool to remove the boring repetitive things so I have more time to do the fun stuff. If I think AI becomes better than myself then I have to improve my skills or find a way to show that my stuff is more ”real”.
People still paint with paint brushes even though there is digital art with all kinds of method to ”cheat”. People still play the drums even though there are drum plugs in Cubase. Etc.

Yes but current ai is fed with actually copyrighted data. You will always use stuff someone else made to make your life easier without paying him. Fuck that future.

Fredrik

Yes but current ai is fed with actually copyrighted data. You will always use stuff someone else made to make your life easier without paying him. Fuck that future.
To be honest, everything you personally create is a mixture of influences from everything you’ve seen or heard before, other’s creations. Every hobby usually starts by trying to imitate someone else’s work that you love. If you play guitar you might start off by trying to learn some Metallica riffs. Eventually once you know the techniques you will start creating your own riffs. Likely influenced and similar to the rhythms in a Metallica riff. It’s not planned theft or anything like that and it’s still your own ideas, sort of, but your influences are usually obvious to anyone who know the artists well that you were incluenced by. And you don’t pay them unless the end result, the complete song, is close enough that you get sued if you try making money from it.

8 million in 6 days at a fraction of the cost.

TLOU series has likely sold over 40 million by now (37 million with data over a year old). It has gone on to win GOTY awards and receive significant industry accolades and recognition.

"Running circles" around ND isn't accurate. Highly profitable for now? Yes, no doubting that. Hasn't come close to scratching ND's ballsack in terms of lifetime profitability, revenue, or recognition or whatever other metric you wish to use. Let's see if this fad sticks like fortnite or gets quickly forgotten about.
Lol from comparing Palworld vs TLOU2 sales to compare it with the two TLOU games, the two remasters and the remake, soon we'll have to add Uncharted and Crash Bandicoot series too.

Funny to watch so many developers crying lately at these PC games that were kinda unknown months before release, outselling their huge AAA franchises with absurd amounts of budget not only on development but on marketing too.

Still the funniest one was the Ubisoft and Horizon Forbidden West developers talking shit about Elden Ring's UI, map and quest design, rofl

Comparing this to devs being salty about ER or BG is just weird. People here seem to applaud a creative bankrupt design just because it is not from a big evil corp. Would have EA, Ubi or whoever copied so blatantly and had success (we'll see if Foamstars will be a success and if people badmouth it more than they already do cause of blatant Splatoon ripoff), everyone would have screamed from the rooftop that big corp are risk averse, do only copy pasta, ruin gaming with lazy cash graps and some other nonsense. But small lazy devs are allowed to fight the good fight as long as it hurts the big players.
I thought we genereally disliked GTA/WoW/Souls or whatever copy jobs and wanted more genuinely new games not trying to mimick other IPs. But it seems as long as it's from some unknown entitiy, them being heavily inspired by some already successful universe's design work than it's okay to just rip ideas/designs and not even try to alter it enough. I guess the Wonderful 101 team now might wonder if they just had ripped the design and not worked at all on their own, just thrown Pokemons into their gameplay loop, if they could have had success with that.
The reception of this crap screams that anyone out there will now heavily rip assets in one way or another (and open the AI floodgates even more) and we will get a lot more very close games because it is easier and cheaper for the weasels. Good job gamers!

Top Bottom