• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog Exmployee: "Palworld Was Made Nefariously"

How did they cheat? Did Uncharted cheat when they took the same formula from Tomb Raider? Did Saints Row cheat when they made the same game as GTA? Did puzzle dropping games cheat when they did what Tetris did? Did Banjo Kazooie cheat when they used the same formula as Mario 64? I could go on.
I wouldn't get too hung up on the word cheat, like I don't care that they cheated I think it's a good business strategy. Doing it the honest way would be building your own totally unique brand from the ground up. I don't think anyone could claim Palworld is not benefitting from Pokemon's notoriety.

Saints Row would probably stray the closest to this situation, as it could also be easily mistaken for the genuine article. It benefits from GTA's hard work building its own brand. To me it's just about artistic integrity and borrowing a little too much from someone else's very popular work, feels a bit like cheating to me.

People are calling it pokemon with guns because that's what any reasonable person sees it as. There's more layers to the game for sure, but that free brand recognition directly translates to $$$.

Again I think it's smart to change it just enough to be legally distinct and protected while still benefitting from the brand's broad recognition and appeal, but there's a word for circumventing the system like that...

Killer8

This is nothing new for game dev Twitter. We saw this most famously when Elden Ring came out and Horizon and Ubisoft devs threw a shit-fit that FromSoft's less-is-more approach to UI was viewed by gamers as a positive. And then it happened again with Baldur's Gate 3 being too good ("It's Rockstar-level nonsense for scope").

For all the talk of muh unionization and the "thoughts and prayers" hugfest whenever developers are fired by [insert big company here], many game developers are also some of the bitchiest, most condescending cunts who will leap at the opportunity to tear each other down on an artistic level.

True crabs in a bucket mentality.

Last edited:

CLW

DEI hiring practices directly linked to STEEP reduction of IQs and work ethic of staff

I’m almost hoping it’s an ai created game leading to MASS layoffs of the reeeeeeeeeeeee crowd with zero talent other than being a pain in the ass and having being granted some imaginary oppression Olympics medal

chromhound

200.gif

Maybe they just killed 80% of the true dev team and claimed the fame...
I don't buy into the "we are amateurs and had no version control" story, because that is BS. But not sure how they would actually cheat. I think the devs of Palworld are just very good at what they do.

Last edited:

peronmls

I mean it is a cash grab. There is no thought other than to make money off a existing mechanic. It’s not original. It does not try to be amazing. It wants to be looked at like a Pokémon game while not doing anything much different than we have already seen in Pokémon games. It exists as competition for money. Not to be a great game. The main mechanic for these kind of games are capitalism. not originality of a product. These people do not care about games. Just to make a scene. This being all said I hope the Pokémon devs truly grow because they been stuck in the early 2000s not doing anything interesting and their graphical stand point does not do their games justice IMO.

Popular game but looks like shovel ware to me. Might be getting too old and don't understand what people like today haha.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
My gut is telling me TLoU was made inefficiently. I just have no proof. Just pro gamur intuition.

Making a game shouldn’t be that difficult or require that budget. They're loafing around somehow, I just can't pinpoint how.

Filben

Man, reminds me of salty CS1.6 times: The other guy is so good he must be cheating. No way he's so good. –has been said without actual proof. Then you watch the replay, sees he's actually that good and leaves the chat without any further comment or God forbid an apology.

To be fair, they COULD be cheating technically. But I need more than that if you want me to join your crusade.

Palworld's success. This game can't be achieved without underhandedness.

It's funny how a game can have gambling mechanics, heavy FOMO, pay to win, but this use of AI is the dirties tactic ever.
Lmaooo This!!!! & the games with those mechanics are usually fully priced so you're paying twice to get screwed over long term!

This is as wrong as Crystal Dynamics' idiot doubting TLOU 2 animations. I hate it when pros behave like spoilt brats.

Of course, the profile of this guy features the full-retard survival kit.

Not shocking tho is it?

People as it stands like to begrudge another's success or good fortune. Why wouldn't be same in the video games industry?

Seeing as they made all their money ripping off Tomb Raider and Indiana Jones this is all a bit rich.

Also - create a new IP? Nope - let’s just have Gerrard Butler and Ellen Page do the Walking Dead…. and then they even fuck that up.

Last edited:

Mooreberg

I mean it is a cash grab. There is no thought other than to make money off a existing mechanic. It’s not original. It does not try to be amazing. It wants to be looked at like a Pokémon game while not doing anything much different than we have already seen in Pokémon games. It exists as competition for money. Not to be a great game. The main mechanic for these kind of games are capitalism. not originality of a product. These people do not care about games. Just to make a scene.

14,500 games were released on Steam in 2023. How many of them do you think were made "to be a great game"? This one seems to be more derivative of an existing IP than usual, but it has been a tremendous success and a lot of people enjoy playing it. Not my cup of tea, but not worthy of entirely baseless accusations as to how the product came to be.

Also, this guy's sixth unpinned tweet indicates that whoever was employing him in Summer 2022 caused him to be hospitalized due to work practices. Not sure if it is Naughty Dog or Rocksteady, LinkedIn conveniently blocks the experience history with a sign in box. I would actually guess Rocksteady based on what we have been hearing lately, and that is more of a story than whatever this guy thinks forty people in Japan may or may not have done.

The rest of the feed is one ongoing panic about how replaceable his particular discipline may become due to AI.

chlorate

Palworld is a parody that very, very closely emulates the art style of the material it is parodying, which feels disquieting to Western audiences who are used to silly parodies like Dark Helmet from Spaceballs or the “Wassup” Budweiser commercial-homaging Ghost Face mask from Scary Movie.

kyussman

From the company that brought you the promotion of trans lunacy that is currently ruining the lives of thousands of teens,Palestine flag in bio too of course which for the average US game dev means 'I'm an ignorant cunt'......these fucking people are all the same.

Sw0pDiller

Including the ND dumbass dev.
absolutely, and i feel he getting Some and more than he could hope for. But, do you know his name or is it just nice to have another reason to dislike naughty dog for whatever is it they did to some people in here. Unless naughty dog themselves came out and did a statement. I feel most anger in here is just misplaced.

Top Bottom