• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog Exmployee: "Palworld Was Made Nefariously"

Ronin_7

Banned
I love the fact that Naughty Dog employees know they spend 200+ million on their games and Palworld is running circles around them.

They're nervous, jealous, and salty.
I don't think this Palworld Dev will be around for many years, Naughty Dog will remain though.

Sure the game is a fire hit but they don't have what it takes to pull an Epic here with Fortnite.

Freeman76

I don't think this Palworld Dev will be around for many years, Naughty Dog will remain though.

Sure the game is a fire hit but they don't have what it takes to pull an Epic here with Fortnite.
If Craftopia is anything to go by they will support it for 2 years then fuck it off to go make another game

StereoVsn

Getting BG3 vibes here. Jealously really isn't a good trait.
Yeah, while personally I couldn’t care less for Palworld unlike BG3, dev saltiness is ridiculous here.

Yeah, they probably used AI and ripped off some Pokémon designs. Personally I don’t like it (AI for art assets and plagiarism), but it doesn’t mean cheating and something about the game clearly resonated with the audience. 8mil copies don’t sell in a week because dev studio is “cheating”.

ND should look at their output of remasters that they are selling at full price as remakes (I know remake vs remaster debate and all), but they haven’t made a full on new game in quite a while. And their budgets are ginormous.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I saw some comment that the studio started with 4 people and grew to 40 over 3 years.

I had seen something like that, I think.

You can imagine that someone working at Naughty Dog might look at the hundreds of people around them and wonder how an entire game gets made by fewer people than ND have working on rendering shoes, or something similar.

Fbh

Considering Uncharted is basically an improved Tomb Raider I dont think this guy has much room to talk

I'd say if anything Uncharted is more of a Indiana Jones ripoff.
Hell of all the things they even made Nazis a major plot device in the first game

sigrad

What a jealous piece of shit.
His game The Last of Us 2 is nowhere to be found in the news because someone made a game that over 8 million people, not including Xbox players, so probably 10 million people love and he can't take so they must be cheating.
This is sad.

f01.gif

Some guy makes an unfounded accusation leading to people attacking his game. Shit is wild.

midnightAI

You can imagine that someone working at Naughty Dog might look at the hundreds of people around them and wonder how an entire game gets made by fewer people than ND have working on rendering shoes, or something similar.
Not really, that's what game engines are for. Plenty of large games are made by small dev teams, whether they could do anything of the scale/quality of Uncharted/Last of Us is a different story.

Also,this is the opinion of a single artist not the opinion of Naughty Dog as a whole, so why people see this as Palworld Vs Naughty Dog is strange.

Last edited:
From what I've seen, seems like there's good reason to suspect plagiarism here--although I don't love the OOP's phrasing for it. And comparing this situation to Uncharted and Indiana Jones or Tomb Raider seems pretty disingenuous. This is more like a movie studio released a movie with characters exactly like those in Raiders of the Lost Ark except everyone had differently colored shirts.

Naughty Dog just lives in some people's heads.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
We already know ai-generated “art” is not new and does in fact steal the work of other artists.
If they truly fed AI a bunch of Pokémon to tweak slightly for their game, that sounds like a similar situation
Big Devs: "AI is amazing and we'll definitely use it one way or another in the future."

Small Dev: "Hey! We sold 8 millions copies of our really low budget game and yeah we used a little bit of AI"
As I said before, AI was not that amazing in 2021.
Generative AI simply was not as advanced in 2021 (when it was revealed) as it is now. Even now creating a 3D model with LODs, and rigging, texturing and animating them is not something you can just do with AI.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Somebody did what they wouldn’t/couldn’t do. What else is there to say really. Go after the countless clones we see and the saturation of the industry.

sigrad

8 million in 6 days at a fraction of the cost.

TLOU series has likely sold over 40 million by now (37 million with data over a year old). It has gone on to win GOTY awards and receive significant industry accolades and recognition.

"Running circles" around ND isn't accurate. Highly profitable for now? Yes, no doubting that. Hasn't come close to scratching ND's ballsack in terms of lifetime profitability, revenue, or recognition or whatever other metric you wish to use. Let's see if this fad sticks like fortnite or gets quickly forgotten about.

TLoU 1 budget -? most likely half of TLoU 2 if not more - made 1.2 billion
TLoU 2 budget - 220 million not including advertising - made roughly 600 million
So, 1.8 billion was made minus the cost of the games and advertising
So, 1.3 billion profit.
Palworld budget - 7 million - and it has made 252 million in 8 days on steam (not including Xbox)
Profit of 245 million dollars
Pretty good for a tiny independent studio.

Someone smarter than me can figure out what percentage of profit that is.

Last edited:

rochet

Isn't doing a remake and remaster over and over a nefariously thing and plagiarism on yourself. The double standards is bad in this industry.

Last edited:

Allandor

Funny. The only thing in this game I can see that might have influenced by Pokemon are some Pals (well after over 1000 Pokemons this is not surprising) but the gameplay (except for the balls) aren't copied from there.

tommib

If you're actually asking that question then any answer I give would be pointless so I won't waste my time on it and I'm not here to derail.

The point was more about the type of people who virtue signal on social media be it palestinian flag, Ukrainian flag, trans flag, commie fist, etc... it doesn't matter. They're not very reliable sources of information and they rarely have good intentions.
Hey, take the Ukraine flag out of this.

DryvBy

This Twitter account pushes some BS (just look at some of their Palworld claims), but they nailed this ND idiot.

Ronin_7

Banned
This isn't their first game. They've been around for a while.
Sure but making this the new Fortnite won't happen because you ain't Epic and they've few developers.

Don't get me wrong, I would love that they could pull it off just to piss off Nintendo 😂

Fredrik

Yeah that’s the AAA industry. I mean I like high quality assets but I think the focus for many AAA games has been to improve the story-telling and animations rather than adding more and improving gameplay mechanics. It’s gone a bit too far I think. Kinda hoping it’ll all crumble down with Hellblade 2. I already have a movie hobby, love watching movies, projector and popcorn and all, it’s great. I don’t need to merge gaming and movies, I like both mediums for different reasons.

Anyhow I like when smaller devs show that gameplay is king. And I really like when there are some out of focus game mechanic like base building with crafting etc. It’s fun. No Man’s Sky is king here for me, another small developer game. Not so important but makes games less repetitive and gives my creative mind a challenge.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So was Palestinian, but he has no problems supporting them.

Toots

Gold Member
Ok, impressive portfolio, what's your point?
It might be impressive to you.
No originality whatsoever, and yet manage to choose the worst designs and colours for his stuff.
He might be a good artisan, but he calls himself (and is paid to be) an artist.

midnightAI

No originality whatsoever, and yet manage to choose the worst designs and colours for his stuff.
o...k, I dont see that myself (and also being a bit of an artist myself, not that that has anything to do with anything really), the guy is good, real good, he wouldn't be working for the likes of Naughty Dog and Marvel if he wasn't.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

What a joke he is, working on some of the biggest games for some of the biggest companies in video games, creating work seen by millions and achieving what many people would consider a dream come true.

The talentless hack. Disgusting.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
ND is so high on the smell of their own overrated, re-released x 10 shit that they feel this type of public behavior is appropriate.

Be better, Cuckman......and hire better people.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I would say it is derivative. And why reinvent what is already there when you can learn from what other people have done, and make your own thing.

Fabieter

I mean they did cheat, they're leveraging someone else's extremely popular IP to market and sell their game. Not saying it's technically illegal or wrong, but there's a reason it's so successful out of nowhere, and it's that the unofficial title the public is running with is "pokemon with guns"

Ding ding ding the clear disign similarities helped doing that.

sigrad

I mean they did cheat, they're leveraging someone else's extremely popular IP to market and sell their game. Not saying it's technically illegal or wrong, but there's a reason it's so successful out of nowhere, and it's that the unofficial title the public is running with is "pokemon with guns"
How did they cheat? Did Uncharted cheat when they took the same formula from Tomb Raider? Did Saints Row cheat when they made the same game as GTA? Did puzzle dropping games cheat when they did what Tetris did? Did Banjo Kazooie cheat when they used the same formula as Mario 64? I could go on.
They didn't call it Pokemon with guns. People/Gaming sites did.

Last edited:
Top Bottom