• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2004 PreSeason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel

:lol

Haywood is a fucking punk.

He pushes Hinrich...backpedals when he sees Davis charging at him. Davis starts jawing off at another Wizard...when he turns back around toward Haywood so he can deliver his ass whooping....Haywood pulls an ARod and slaps Davis...then backpedals AGAIN! :lol

Then to top it off Curry tries to punch him in the balls. :lol

:lol Why do i get the feeling Curry's been watching too much WWE?
Animation2.gif

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
Ninja Scooter said:
:lol Why do i get the feeling Curry's been watching too much WWE?
Animation2.gif

watching that going back and forth got me chuckling like a little girl.

Takuan

Actually, upon close inspection of that animated gif, it looks like Curry got Haywood around the middle-lower torso.

firex

Looking at the division the lakers are in... no shit, Steve Kerr, of course they're going to win it. The only thing close to competition they have is the Phoenix Suns.

I don't think the Lakers will win any more than 50 games (if that many) this year, though.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
firex said:
Looking at the division the lakers are in... no shit, Steve Kerr, of course they're going to win it. The only thing close to competition they have is the Phoenix Suns.

I don't think the Lakers will win any more than 50 games (if that many) this year, though.

The Lakers could finish as low as 3rd in the division, with second being more likely, and them having no shot at first.
They will probably finish between 6th and 8th in the conference.

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
Kobe is 2nd most powerful player in NBA history :D

2. Kobe Bryant -- What he pulled off this summer can't be underestimated. Bryant showed his versatility by deftly sticking two daggers in two different backs at the same time, all while he was preoccupied with defending himself in a sexual assault trial. Those weren't just any two backs, either -- he carved up the spine of the greatest coach of all time and the best player of his generation. Somehow, Bryant got tight enough with owner Jerry Buss to run them both out of town, even though he wasn't under contract at the time. For added kicks, he also convinced the Clippers he was signing with them and got them to trade away three players and the rights to Emeka Okafor in order to get him, making Elgin Baylor look like the nerd who got stood up by the hot chick on prom night. One can only imagine what Bryant could have accomplished if he hadn't been distracted by the trial, but if I was Lamar Odom or Rudy T., I'd be wearing a Kevlar backpack around Staples Center.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/john_hollinger/09/21/10.influential/index.html

DMczaf

1. Michael Jordan -- He wielded considerable power as a Bull, but that was nothing compared to his might when he returned in 2001. As a Washington Wizard, Jordan was the first player-GM in modern NBA history, and if the results are any indication, he'll probably be the last. Forget wagging the dog, he was the dog. Jordan installed a puppet as head coach -- incredibly, one whom he'd already given the Kidd treatment a decade earlier -- and immediately began running the team to suit his ego.

This went beyond personnel -- he was instructing coach/lackey Doug Collins to use players that suited his now-plodding game and belittling anyone and everyone who didn't fit in (as well as most of those that did). Within the organization, all those antics made him about as popular as scurvy, yet the Wizards put up with the absolute monarchy for two full seasons because His Royal Airness was still basking in public adulation and selling out the arena every night. It's difficult to imagine one player having so much control over a team again, but based on recent trends I shudder to think that the next Jordan-Wizards disaster may be lurking just around the corner.

kobe_bryant.03.jpg

"Fuck..."

2. Kobe Bryant -- What he pulled off this summer can't be underestimated. Bryant showed his versatility by deftly sticking two daggers in two different backs at the same time, all while he was preoccupied with defending himself in a sexual assault trial. Those weren't just any two backs, either -- he carved up the spine of the greatest coach of all time and the best player of his generation. Somehow, Bryant got tight enough with owner Jerry Buss to run them both out of town, even though he wasn't under contract at the time. For added kicks, he also convinced the Clippers he was signing with them and got them to trade away three players and the rights to Emeka Okafor in order to get him, making Elgin Baylor look like the nerd who got stood up by the hot chick on prom night. One can only imagine what Bryant could have accomplished if he hadn't been distracted by the trial, but if I was Lamar Odom or Rudy T., I'd be wearing a Kevlar backpack around Staples Center.

Can any moron become a sportswriter these days? Phil Jackson HIMSELF says he not only tried to trade Kobe TWICE, but also gave Mitch and Jerry an ultimatum in January saying "Either Kobe goes or I go", and yet somehow that translates to Kobe running him out of town?

Rick Barry knows wtf is up!
LOSING WEIGHT IS NOT EASY. IT TAKES tremendous discipline, determination and dedication. It requires motivation and commitment to a goal. It takes a lifestyle change, usually involving eating less and exercising more.

Many Americans decide to diet if they are planning a luxury cruise or a warm weather beach vacation. Even Shaquille O'Neal realized the importance of shedding those unwanted pounds before heading south.

O'Neal has been getting raves from basketball commentators for having lost more than 30 pounds during the offseason. He showed up at training camp in shape and with the promise to deliver success to his new team, the Miami Heat. I'm not one of those individuals gushing with praise. On the contrary, I believe his sudden reduction in bulk and new-found commitment to winning is a true indication of his past failure to dedicate himself to his former team, the Los Angeles Lakers.

Dr. Jerry Buss, the owner of the Lakers, made the correct decision when he chose to trade Shaq. Oh, I know it killed his chances to win another title in the foreseeable future, but he made his decision on principle, not winning. In this case, he had a star player with a near $30 million deal, who was upset that his contract wasn't being extended. I guess the Diesel felt that winning the previous championships entitled him to at least another $60 million guaranteed dollars.

Hey, wake up to reality. In sports, it's not about what you have done in the past that determines your next contract's value. It's what you currently bring to the table and the potential you have for future success that determines your worth.

And so it should be.

Shaq, with his negative actions and words, did more to cause concern than he did to endear himself to the owner.

Check it out. He gets an operation on his foot late in the summer of 2002. He could have had it done right after the playoffs ended. The result was he missed all of training camp and part of that season. Then, in 2003, when he does show up on time to training camp, he's overweight. Why didn't he lose those 30 pounds when he was with the Lakers?

I'm well aware that, more than likely, Shaq will lead the Heat to the playoffs and possibly to the NBA Finals. However, my hat goes off to Dr. Buss for sending out a strong message. He obviously puts more credence in having a player on his team who's dedicated and committed at all times -- not just when he feels like it.

Too bad more owners don't think this way.

Former Warriors star and Hall of Famer Rick Barrry hosts the noon-3 p.m. talk show on KNBR 680.

Suck on that, Snaq!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom