• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2004 PreSeason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMczaf

HalfPastNoon said:
where'd dm scamper off to?

Meh, didnt see the thread on the first page when I got home from class.

i agree with bionic; t-mac is indeed the biggest bitch in the NBA. he cries and laments over the fact that he's not "THE MAN" in toronto as his sorry ass rides the bench, then, when shipped off to disneyland to be "THE MAN", he leads *his* team on a earth-shattering 19 or so game LOSING streak. i dont even know what their final record was, but i know they didn't surpass 20 wins.

Ok, he wants to be THE MAN while signing to a team with Grant Hill (during his "Next Jordan" days)? Unless he knew Grant Hill was going to be injured for 4 years, he didn't sign with the Magic to be the only good player on the team.

real players with hearts, superstars with any IOTA of leadership quality simpy do not allow HIS team lose to 19 straight games. it's unfuckingfathomable.

Ignore the other 3 years when he did lead bad and average teams to the playoffs. I guess T-Mac's only season with the Magic was during 03-04.

u can chime in with ur predictable "THE TEAM HAD INJURIES" excuse, but guess what, even players like kobe, jordan, payton, duncan, garnett led their teams through thick and thin.

:lol Right when I see Payton's name next to Jordan and Duncan I know this whole post is a joke. I should have read through your post first instead of going paragraph to paragraph. :lol

Payton...lol...that's a good one. You almost got me there lonestar!

lakers5_resize.jpg

"Take it, I have no need for it."

DMczaf said:
Ok, he wants to be THE MAN while signing to a team with Grant Hill (during his "Next Jordan" days)? Unless he knew Grant Hill was going to be injured for 4 years, he didn't sign with the Magic to be the only good player on the team.

yes, he wanted to be sole focus of the team. if he didn't, then why leave toronto when a player better than grant hill -- vince carter -- is already on YOUR team? it doesn't matter if he knew grant was going to be injured or not; the fact is that he wanted to be the #1 on a team, and in toronto, with vince, that wasn't at all possible. thus, he bolts to disneyland.

Ok, ignore the other 3 years when he did lead bad and average teams to the playoffs. I guess T-Mac's only season with the Magic was during 03-04.

i didn't ignore them, but compared to being the captain on a team that LOST 19 straight games, reality and recognition sets in. simply put, no one of that caliber skill would EVER allows *his* team to lose 19 straight games. he quited, plain and simple. then, for him to talk shit about the very same team he led to that embarrassing record is quite a tell of his character.

:lol Ok right when I see Payton's name next to Jordan and Duncan I know this is a joke. I should have read through your post first instead of going paragraph to paragraph. :lol

Payton...lol...that's a good one. You almost got me there lonestar!

"Take it, I have no need for it."

payton manged to will himself to play with a broken foot during a playoff series, not to mention leading his team to multiple 60+ win seasons, and a trip to the finals. he may not have the flash, or dunks, or scoring average of t-mac, but he's certainly, as proven, a far, far more capable leader.

do you ever think payton would allow his team to lose 19 straight games?

think real hard.

DMczaf

yes, he wanted to be sole focus of the team. if he didn't, then why leave toronto when a player better than grant hill -- vince carter -- is already on YOUR team? it doesn't matter if he knew grant was going to be injured or not; the fact is that he wanted to be the #1 on a team, and in toronto, with vince, that wasn't at all possible. thus, he bolts to disneyland.

:lol Somewhere Shinobi is smiling in Canada

i didn't ignore them, but compared to being the captain on a team that LOST 19 straight games, reality and recognition sets in. simply put, no one of that caliber skill would EVER allows *his* team to lose 19 straight games. he quited, plain and simple. then, for him to talk shit about the very same team he led to that embarrassing record is quite a tell of his character.

WALTHAM, Mass. --- All Gary Payton wants is a little respect. And maybe to play for a team other than the Celtics.

After the Lakers traded Payton to Boston, the All-Star point guard was reportedly furious, didn't show up for his required physical with his new team and, on Sunday, told the Riverside (Calif.) Press-Enterprise that he will quit if facing entering the Celtics' training camp in October.

"I'll quit," Payton told the newspaper. "I can go on and do something else.

"I wasn't going to Boston to take a physical. I ain't going to move my family no more. I can't take my family to Boston."

Payton said he didn't have anything against the Celtics, but that he felt the Lakers had failed to honor their agreement with him when Payton exercised his one-year $5.4 million contract option to continue to play in Los Angeles.

"It's about respect," Payton told the Press-Enterprise. "[The Lakers] didn't respect me. Why should I respect them?

"They used me so they could get other players," Payton said, adding that "Boston is going to lose out on this. They ain't going to get nothing."

Payton's character > all of our's combined!

wow, what a rebuttal. didn't actually respond to anything, instead falling back on the infamous DM "FUNNNNIES!!!11"

when payton allows his team to lose 19 straight games, let me know.

then, and only then, can you can compare that childish "superstar" to a player that flat out willed his team to victory on so many occasions.

DMczaf

HalfPastNoon said:
i didn't say he was great. i said he was better than grant.

about 300 players in the league are better than grant.

:lol His stats the year before signing with Orlando

26 pts, 6 rebounds, 5 assists

Yup, 300 players in the league put up better numbers then that before his injuries :(

Shinobi

HalfPastNoon said:
i didn't say he was great. i said he was better than grant.

about 300 players in the league are better than grant.

:lol Come on, even you can't believe that. GH was a damn good player prior to his injury, probably the best small forward in the game.

Takuan

GH was one of the NBA elite before his injury, to suggest otherwise is plain stupid. When he tried to come back two seasons ago and played in like, 20 games, he showed many flashes of brilliance. It's a damned shame to lose such a gifted talent who was/is one of the few players kids could look up to.

Loki

Count of Concision
Shinobi said:
:lol Come on, even you can't believe that. GH was a damn good player prior to his injury, probably the best small forward in the game.

G Hill would have EASILY had one or two MVP's by now if he hadn't been injured. He'd also still be among the top 4 players in the league (going by the numbers he used to put up) and among the best players ever. He's probably the only guy who got hit with the Jordan curse who never tried to BE like Jordan. :p

A shame, really. Oh, and Hill was quite a bit faster than McGrady or Kobe back in the day-- he had sick athleticism. Go watch tapes-- no, I don't have any of Hill, sorry. Do your own looking. :D

His career averages by this point would have been around 23/8/7; possibly more, considering he would have hit his prime during this time. Sick.

DCX

DCX
G-Hill was smooth like butter, long, fast and decent hops....the only ? mark of his game was and will still be his jumper.

DCX

Loki

Count of Concision
DCX said:
G-Hill was smooth like butter, long, fast and decent hops....the only ? mark of his game was and will still be his jumper.

DCX

He was starting to develop an excellent mid-range J the season before he got injured. He had good form and his work ethic was great-- he would have been competent from distance at the very least by this point.

Seriously, by this point he would have been unstoppable. I'd say that several seasons of 23/8/8 were not out of the question for Hill. He was that incredible a talent.

Takuan said:
GH was one of the NBA elite before his injury, to suggest otherwise is plain stupid. When he tried to come back two seasons ago and played in like, 20 games, he showed many flashes of brilliance. It's a damned shame to lose such a gifted talent who was/is one of the few players kids could look up to.

Damn, you're talking like Hill is already gone. Apparantly, he's healthy again, and has been playing decently in the preseason. Of course, that's probably what we were all saying last year too....

Miguel

Lucian Vent said:
Damn, you're talking like Hill is already gone. Apparantly, he's healthy again, and has been playing decently in the preseason. Of course, that's probably what we were all saying last year too....
i-want-to-believe.jpg

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
All I know is that if Grant Hill is still around in the 8 round or later of my fantasy draft. I'm taking him. Maybe.

He's the best. He drinks Sprite. :D

Loki

Count of Concision
bionic77 said:
He shouldn't have, that drink is cursed. Look what it did to Grant and Kobe. It is even worse then the SI curse.

Jordan curse > SI curse >>> Sprite curse

In fact, the Jordan curse operated on SI after the Rick Reilly incident in the early-mid 90's; they were never the same. :D

bionic77

Loki said:
Jordan curse > SI curse >>> Sprite curse

In fact, the Jordan curse operated on SI after the Rick Reilly incident in the early-mid 90's; they were never the same. :D

There is no Jordan curse, that is a silly superstition.

DMczaf

bionic77 said:
There is no Jordan curse, that is a silly superstition.

October 21, 2002

Williams gets into Jordan's space
* The Bulls didn't exactly retire Michael Jordan's locker stall, but no one has dared to use it since he left. Until now. Brash rookie Jay Williams claimed it for his own, saying, "Since it's been empty, we haven't been winning as much. So why not?"

June 21, 2003

Bulls guard Jay Williams crashed his new motorcycle Thursday on the North Side, breaking his leg and other bones and leaving his career status in doubt.

There are many other examples, but I got to play my NHL2K5 league game right now.

bionic77

DMczaf said:
October 21, 2002

Williams gets into Jordan's space
* The Bulls didn't exactly retire Michael Jordan's locker stall, but no one has dared to use it since he left. Until now. Brash rookie Jay Williams claimed it for his own, saying, "Since it's been empty, we haven't been winning as much. So why not?"

June 21, 2003

Bulls guard Jay Williams crashed his new motorcycle Thursday on the North Side, breaking his leg and other bones and leaving his career status in doubt.

There are many other examples, but I got to play my NHL2K5 league game right now.

Nothing ever happened to Stackhouse (except for being garbage). He was one of the dozens of heir apparents.

Bowser

Attn: Bishop, DMczaf, Miguel, BatiGOOOOOOL, DarienA, Shinobi

You have still not responded to my PM.

DO IT NOW BITCHES

DMczaf

bionic77 said:
Nothing ever happened to Stackhouse (except for being garbage). He was one of the dozens of heir apparents.

Wasn't Stackhouse injured for almost all of last season? Hmm...

Loki

Count of Concision
bionic77 said:

True-- when the offense is particularly egregious, as in the case of Stackhouse, who reportedly told the press that he was better than Jordan, MJ usually handles things more directly. The result? In their first pro meeting after these comments were made, Jordan scored 46 points on like 70% shooting on him and held Stackhouse to 5 points on something like 1-11 from the floor.

Now that he's out of the game, however, he has to operate via his mystical powers, as mentioned by DM. ;) :D

bionic77

After seeing how much better Shaq is moving with the Heat, I have to say I am really fucking pissed off as a Laker fan. I ued to give him the benefit of the doubt and just say that the reason he was losing a step was because he was old and injured and not because he was too fucking lazy to get his fat ass into shape. It is obvious now that the only reason he lost a step and couldn't jump the way he used to was entirely because he was a lazy fatass who didn't even want to get in shape. This is just as bad as the crap that Coleman and Kemp used to pull. Damn, fatass, you blew your chance at being considered one of the best ever because you chose the coach instead of the treadmill. :(

End of rant.

Also, I am willing to change my opinion if Shaq can somehow show that he was really just injured and not being a fat POS the last 2 seasons, that would be excuseable, but seeing how easy it seemed for him to lose 30 pounds in the last 3 months it would be hard to convince me of that.

bionic77 said:
After seeing how much better Shaq is moving with the Heat, I have to say I am really fucking pissed off as a Laker fan. I ued to give him the benefit of the doubt and just say that the reason he was losing a step was because he was old and injured and not because he was too fucking lazy to get his fat ass into shape. It is obvious now that the only reason he lost a step and couldn't jump the way he used to was entirely because he was a lazy fatass who didn't even want to get in shape. This is just as bad as the crap that Coleman and Kemp used to pull. Damn, fatass, you blew your chance at being considered one of the best ever because you chose the coach instead of the treadmill. :(

End of rant.

Also, I am willing to change my opinion if Shaq can somehow show that he was really just injured and not being a fat POS the last 2 seasons, that would be excuseable, but seeing how easy it seemed for him to lose 30 pounds in the last 3 months it would be hard to convince me of that.

Exactly. Nobody should be giving that asshole props for getting in shape. Its like a slap in the face of all the Laker fans that supported him through and through. Fuck him.

and shit, why didn't anyone tell me tonites game was at the Savemart Center? I live like an hour away from that place, i could have fucking gone dammit!

...me, in the same BUILDING as Kobe...maybe its best that i DIDN'T go.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
DMczaf said:
I guess that means the Kings starters played like 5 mins :lol
:lol

Code:
C. Webber	F	12	2-4	0-0	0-0	0	3	0	0	0	1	0	4
P. Stojakovic	F	12	1-3	0-1	0-0	0	0	2	1	0	0	1	2
B. Miller 	C	14	2-4	0-0	3-3	0	1	3	1	0	1	1	7
K. Martin	G	13	3-5	0-0	0-0	0	1	1	0	0	2	3	6
M. Bibby	G	12	1-3	0-1	4-4	0	1	1	1	0	1	0	6

meanwhile Odam played 24 and kobe played 33 (wtf). haha

golem

hmm lets see 4 new starters vs team that has been together since the beginning of time... which needs more PT?

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/7815362

DENVER -- Carmelo Anthony was cited for marijuana possession while boarding the team plane last week, though the Denver Nuggets star says the bag was left in his backpack by a friend.

Advertisement

Anthony, 20, was issued a summons last Friday at Denver International Airport while the Nuggets were waiting to board a flight to Milwaukee for a preseason game. Anthony's attorney, Daniel Recht, said he wasn't aware the marijuana was there and that it was left there by an out-of-town friend who borrowed the backpack last week.

"The friend obviously uses marijuana and left a small amount in the backpack when he returned it to Carmelo," Recht said Thursday. "Carmelo had no idea there was any marijuana in the backpack."

DMczaf

http://slamonline.com/magazine/features/Tmac83/

“I’ll give Weisbrod credit for what he did this offseason, because Orlando is better,” Tracy says. “But he needs to work on his people skills, find out how to communicate with people. He walks around here with his head in his ass and don’t speak to nobody, smelling his own shit and stuff. That’s the kind of person he is. They’re better, but they still aren’t going anywhere for the simple fact that the people upstairs have no clue what they’re doing. As long as Weisbrod is there, they’re going to be mediocre. I feel sorry for [the chairman] Rich DeVos and the people I had a good relationship with up there.

:lol :lol :lol Fuck I hate Weisbrod, during the whole situation he acted like a total ass. He went from praising T-Mac to talking shit the minute the trade was finalized.

DMczaf

Then they go and say that John Sissybrod, or whatever the fuck his name is, says T-Mac is not his kind of player. What kind of shit is that? Then he was saying some shit like he had cussed me out when we were out in L.A., which first of all never happened because he would never step to me like that.

:lol :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom