• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2018 Playoffs

How high do you guys rank this trip to the finals on LeBrons list of accomplishments? Taking this sub par Cavs team all the way is IMO his greatest achievement besides the 2016 Finals. I hope he can get at least one or two wins in the Finals, although I doubt it.

Not very high. He’s a 34 year old best player in the league. First round: Turner, Bogdanovic and Young. 2nd: Van something and Anubody, third Horford and some teenagers. Does either Boston or Cleveland make the second round in the West? Not sure. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say beating college sophomores at this age is not very high on his accomplishment list and has more to do with the quality of the product.

That’s also why I don’t think James goes to the Western conference. Really hard to find cap space and form a good enough team.

I'm feeling pretty numb and I'm still in a terrible mood, but I'm grateful for the post-season the Celtics had. Yeah tonight sucked, but there were so many great moments. JT and JB got a lot of experience which is nice, they're going to be massive.

How high do you guys rank this trip to the finals on LeBrons list of accomplishments? Taking this sub par Cavs team all the way is IMO his greatest achievement besides the 2016 Finals. I hope he can get at least one or two wins in the Finals, although I doubt it.
Until he wins a finals game or two I think his 2015 run was more impressive and I doubt he'll ever top 2016. Fucking incredible, though.

Man not to engage on some conspiracy theories, but some mighty bullshit refereeing going on this quarter. Harden was blatantly fouled twice on 3 shot attempts and there was some strong contact by Klay against Tucker I believe which would have been his 4th foul.

League seems to think the fans would want yet another Cavs/Warriors fest and I'm not sure why. Forced rivalries where you know only 2 parties have a legit shot at any given contest is pretty much what killed tennis viability as a huge sport. Oh yeah, another Federer and Nadal final - said nobody fucking ever.

Intentionally fouling Capela while you’re up 10 and have 4 of the 5 best players on the court. I don’t like anything about the Warriors post-Durant.

Also, I think Houston’s strategy is flawed, at least when mixed with such a short rotation. Focusing on layups and 3s is a smart strategy until you get deep in a playoff series when people are exhausted.

It's his 5th or 6th best. His team is good on paper but they're letting him down a lot by not being able to score.

Great... Another Warriors Cavs Finals.... Yawn......

I was really hoping to see some fresh faces. I would really enjoyed a Celtics Rockets Finals..

demigod

Man not to engage on some conspiracy theories, but some mighty bullshit refereeing going on this quarter. Harden was blatantly fouled twice on 3 shot attempts and there was some strong contact by Klay against Tucker I believe which would have been his 4th foul.

League seems to think the fans would want yet another Cavs/Warriors fest and I'm not sure why. Forced rivalries where you know only 2 parties have a legit shot at any given contest is pretty much what killed tennis viability as a huge sport. Oh yeah, another Federer and Nadal final - said nobody fucking ever.

Jesus again? Good thing i don’t have espn or tnt, i’d probably just turn that shit off. I was hoping someone else besides super team warriors would make it to the finals. NBA refs are the worse, i’d say they are the most crooked sports.

Jesus again? Good thing i don’t have espn or tnt, i’d probably just turn that shit off. I was hoping someone else besides super team warriors would make it to the finals. NBA refs are the worse, i’d say they are the most crooked sports.

Yeah, it's probably going to suck. To be fair, while the refs definitely helped the Warriors, Houston lost for the same reason Boston did. They just couldn't hit shit and the Warriors were playing below the screens daring them to shoot. As a Celtics fan, the game was PTSD zone lol.

bigedole

A lot of pretty ugly basketball in both conference finals really, and I definitely expected higher scoring games out of Houston/GSW. Blaming it on the refs is silly though. Houston had nearly double the number of free throws GS did. Oh, and they missed 27 three pointers in a row. Talk about a low light :p

lil puff

Harden was just not getting the calls for sure, but when you are going to come down the court lunging up half court 3s each time down with no spacing.... I can't say I feel sorry for him.

Same ol Dantoni. How does he just stand there during the entire 3rd Q watching the team do the opposite of what worked in the 1st half.

Corrik

The momentum of that entire game swung when Harden made the and 1 3 pointer and they called the foul on the floor.

You effectively took 4 points off the Rockets which extends the lead back to double digits or close to it, you break the stigma of can't hit a 3 by having them see one fall in, and you take the pressure off your team.

That play, as soon as it happened in the 3rd quarter, I said would be the swing of the game. It was one sided as hell after that point.

lil puff

The momentum of that entire game swung when Harden made the and 1 3 pointer and they called the foul on the floor.

You effectively took 4 points off the Rockets which extends the lead back to double digits or close to it, you break the stigma of can't hit a 3 by having them see one fall in, and you take the pressure off your team.

That play, as soon as it happened in the 3rd quarter, I said would be the swing of the game. It was one sided as hell after that point.
I thought the same thing at that point, but this is Game Damn 7 of the conference finals, and if they aren't going to make any adjustments there, may as well just pack up and go straight home.

I would have utilized every time out I had in the 3rd. I was pretty much laughing by they got to around 3-4 mins left in the 4th, and suddenly now Dantoni starts calling timeouts. Around that time, Harden also finally starts to go into the paint.

rokkerkory

rockets lost more than warriors won... rockets went away from what worked in first half... pounding ball inside and mixing it up. Instead they tried to beat dubs by hitting 3s... sorry u just cant.

edit: Dubs in 5 over Cavs

Last edited:

finowns

A lot of pretty ugly basketball in both conference finals really, and I definitely expected higher scoring games out of Houston/GSW. Blaming it on the refs is silly though. Houston had nearly double the number of free throws GS did. Oh, and they missed 27 three pointers in a row. Talk about a low light :p

The idea the refs had some agenda to make rockets lose is silly when they took Thompson out of the first half. Everyone gets missed calls.

Man that JR dive was somehow worse than the Zaza lunge on Kawhi, that was Ramos on Salah levels of dirtiness.

Edit: on a second look, he might have slipped. But man you don't fall on dudes knees like that.

Last edited:

Corrik

Man that JR dive was somehow worse than the Zaza lunge on Kawhi, that was Ramos on Salah levels of dirtiness.

Edit: on a second look, he might have slipped. But man you don't fall on dudes knees like that.
Not his fault the court was slippery. That is golden states home court.

He clearly slipped.

demigod

Yeah, I thought it was worse than it was, it definitely didn't look intentional.

Javale McGee FINALS MVP????

Refs are the real MVP. Wow this game is so badly officiated I actually feel bad for Lebron. Just give the warriors the championship already.

finowns

That whole dust up at the end is good for Warriors they need something extra, hopefully it carriers over.

Refs are the real MVP. Wow this game is so badly officiated I actually feel bad for Lebron. Just give the warriors the championship already.

Yeah it was bad, Lebron was getting hammered on every possession and they called some very soft fouls on Durant especially. I actually think the reversal wasn't so bad, it's uncommon fuck but it is a rule and Lebron was moving there so I don't know. The refs were bad, but you can't miss a FT to take the lead and then have one of your players do what JR did. The Cavs just beat themselves.

The ending of that game broke Reddit. Cavs got robbed, JR is a dumbass, and I wouldn't have blamed Tristan if he punched Draymond in the face.

Corrik

Yeah it was bad, Lebron was getting hammered on every possession and they called some very soft fouls on Durant especially. I actually think the reversal wasn't so bad, it's uncommon fuck but it is a rule and Lebron was moving there so I don't know. The refs were bad, but you can't miss a FT to take the lead and then have one of your players do what JR did. The Cavs just beat themselves.
The reversal was absolutely bullshit. The refs just upstaged all the players in the game by being terrible.

The overturn on a review if he was in the restricted arc or not as basis shouldn't even be allowed by the NBA to overturn it for anything. That is a dumb rule.

Then it is only supposed to be overturned if clear and obvious. It wasn't. The head of officiating himself said it shouldn't be overturned. That is a 2-4 point swing with 30 seconds left when the Cavs were up by 2 and would have had the ball.

Then to not make things worse in a game where you just literally cheated the Cavs... You eject Thompson over a contest on a shot with no ill intent with 2 fucking seconds left? Talk about escalating the games as refs. Embarrassing.

Refs should be fired. That is some of the worst officiating I have ever seen.

Not even counting the clear strip on Durant at the beginning of OT by Hill where they gave Durant the foul call and 2 free throws to start it off.

Embarrassing as fuck.

demigod

It shouldn’t have even gotten to that point. Clean strip by Lebron, Lebron being hit in the forearm, reversal call on the charge, no call on the miss pass to Love. Then in OT Hill gets a clean block that got called a foul and that was the end of the game right there. He got fouled on next possession but it was already over.

The reversal was absolutely bullshit. The refs just upstaged all the players in the game by being terrible.

The overturn on a review if he was in the restricted arc or not as basis shouldn't even be allowed by the NBA to overturn it for anything. That is a dumb rule.

Then it is only supposed to be overturned if clear and obvious. It wasn't. The head of officiating himself said it shouldn't be overturned. That is a 2-4 point swing with 30 seconds left when the Cavs were up by 2 and would have had the ball.

Then to not make things worse in a game where you just literally cheated the Cavs... You eject Thompson over a contest on a shot with no ill intent with 2 fucking seconds left? Talk about escalating the games as refs. Embarrassing.

Refs should be fired. That is some of the worst officiating I have ever seen.

Not even counting the clear strip on Durant at the beginning of OT by Hill where they gave Durant the foul call and 2 free throws to start it off.

Embarrassing as fuck.

I agree with you, the refs should be fired and this has been a TERRIBLE postseason for any refereeing crew. Game after game they have been terrible and the NBA needs to protect its product and fix this. I do think the refs absolutely helped the Warriors to win the game, I'm just saying that the Cavs should have won regardless lol.

I have nothing but questions.

How do you not know a score when you get an offensive rebound with seconds to go? How does a 7-foot shooter, who is arguably the second best player in the league, have no idea about how to box out? That was the exact opposite of that.

If the stats are correct how do you go half the overtime before you get James a shot? And finally why you keep switching meaningless ball screens 10 ft behind the three point line so your smallest player ends up guarding either James or in the last series Harden? If that passes for strategy, I don’t think they will rename the O’Brien trophy for Kerr.

I guess you can add refs to that list but that’s been the same for years now.

Corrik

I have nothing but questions.

How do you not know a score when you get an offensive rebound with seconds to go? How does a 7-foot shooter, who is arguably the second best player in the league, have no idea about how to box out? That was the exact opposite of that.

If the stats are correct how do you go half the overtime before you get James a shot? And finally why you keep switching meaningless ball screens 10 ft behind the three point line so your smallest player ends up guarding either James or in the last series Harden? If that passes for strategy, I don’t think they will rename the O’Brien trophy for Kerr.

I guess you can add refs to that list but that’s been the same for years now.
LeBron was passing to open teammates for shots in OT at first.

Yeah the refs were bad, they made OT possible.

But despite that they could have still won. Hill missed the last FT, but JR gets all of the blame. He could have scored to win it, and he deflated the team for OT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Corrik

Yeah the refs were bad, they made OT possible.

But despite that they could have still won. Hill missed the last FT, but JR gets all of the blame. He could have scored to win it, and he deflated the team for OT.
If he made it they still had a ton of time to take the lead back. Was 4.5 seconds left.

Top Bottom