• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2k7 Demo - it's up! Post impressions here

EekTheKat

Pretty sweet stuff....

I did an up an under with Wade into a fadeaway jumper + it's a totally new looking animation.

Shooting freethrows with Shaq now is definately an interesting experience :lol

Man I'm going to have tons of fun going through each player figuring out who does what .

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I only had time to make one run-through with the game (downloaded fast for me BTW, but I have a fast connection anyhows) and the game is a definite buy... the way it looks and moves is out of this world... whoa...

And from what I've read about the game so far is that it has the gameplay to match aas well - so definite buy it is...

When I get back home, I'm really gonna sit and give the game a good play session...

Gantz

Banned
Just downloaded the demo. Plays great and the animation is really good but aren't the graphics supposed to better?

bumpkin

Gantz said:
Just downloaded the demo. Plays great and the animation is really good but aren't the graphics supposed to better?
Isn't animation technically part of the "graphics?" :)

2K6 looked incredible enough, so I'm not expecting much of an upgrade with 2K7, at least in terms of detail. Better animation is good enough for me.

Gantz

Banned
bumpkin said:
Isn't animation technically part of the "graphics?" :)

2K6 looked incredible enough, so I'm not expecting much of an upgrade with 2K7, at least in terms of detail. Better animation is good enough for me.

The character models need more AA.

JB1981

I think the gameplay's tight, animations are smooth as butter - but is anyone else a little disappointed in the game graphically? Lots of clipping, weird faces, ... it seems like it lacks the polish of 2K6 ... like they stripped away that last coat of paint or something. Anyway, game plays well. Much better than the alternative too.

I hate to sound like the only negative person here, but this game doesn't do it for me at all. The characters look like realistically textured cartoons, the clothes look like they are made out of paper and it plays like NBA Jam.

NBA Live is the better game, by far.

JB1981

antoniogaud said:
I hate to sound like the only negative person here, but this game doesn't do it for me at all. The characters look like realistically textured cartoons, the clothes look like they are made out of paper and it plays like NBA Jam.

Wow.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
antoniogaud said:

antoniogaud said:

Awesome joke post!

Rekwest

antoniogaud said:

:D :D:lol

Smokey

I've been an avid 2K basketball gamer since the Dreamcast days. I've loved the authenticity of the series, the little details, the animations; everything. This morning I woke up, and checked the boards to see what's happenin' and lo and behold a NBA2k7 demo is out. After playing 10 games, ladies and gentlemen we may have what could very well be the best basketball game of all time, and possibly one of the greatest sports games of all time. Period.

Where do I start. I guess I'll talk about the gameplay differences first. I've put in countless upon countless hours of 2K6. I've ran leagues for it last year and played numerous franchise seasons, and this year I'm running a 16 team IGN league, so gameplay wise I'm very familiar with this series. First off the game does have a slower pace than NBA2k6. You CANNOT drive at will anymore. The defense WILL stop you. Last year if you knew what you were doing with the Isomotion stick, you could abuse the defense. I should know. I used that stick like it was nothin' pullin' off step backs, up and unders, spins moves, hop steps you name it. I tried doing all of that today in the demo, and it did not work so it appears as if they've toned that down just a notch which is good.

Another thing that is different this year is the ability to call your plays, adjust tempo, and even make subs all in real time without pausing the game. It took me a game to get used to it but after that I was pullin' off subs and adjusting the tempo in no time. Hell when you choose to make a sub, you even SEE the guy get up off the bench and go to the scorer's table. It's crazy. I believe you press left on the d-pad to adjust coach settings, down to make subs, and right to call your plays, and up to make a green symbol show up under a player(you can use this to make them go where you want). It's awesome after you get used to it.

I also tried another cheap tactic that was successful in NBA2K6 and that was stealing the ball when the opposing team would try and inbound the pass. Last year when the opponent was getting ready to inbound the ball, if you could guess who he was passing to with the right timing of the right stick it was a pick-off guarantee. While it sounds good on paper, in practice it kind of ruined the game somewhat and made it cheap. I'm happy to say, at least in the demo that that has been toned down considerably. I've tried deliberately to steal the inbounds pass and was unsuccessful so that's another plus.

Animation-wise Live 07 is in trouble, there is no way around this. The amount of individual shots just in this demo will drive a basektball fan crazy. The different shots, layups, and handles are done with the greatest of fluidity(yes I made that up). I really can't explain this part too much in words, you'll just have to play the demo and find out because it really is hard to explain how impressive this is.

Graphically, this game shines. The graphics are phenomenal. Player models are dead on, and even their haircuts look damn good in HD. From fades to curly hair(Nowitzki) it looks very very good. The only thing about that is I haven't noticed Dirk's hair moving, so I don't know if they have physics for hair or not(I'm sure they do, just maybe not in the demo). The presentation is 5x what it was in 2k6. Different camera angles keep you involved in the action, and during timeouts the mascot will be seen cheering and the fine ass cheerleaders will go out on the court and do their routine, and you can sit there and watch all of this. When it's time to get back to hoops, they run off the court still cheering and head back to the sideline. It's a very nice touch.

As you can see I'm damn impressed with the demo of this game. It's 4 minutes of gameplay which doesn't seem like much, but when it's over you choose to restart right then and there and the game will load back up. This IS NOT AN ARCADE GAME. The controls are still complex, and even more so with the new ability to adjust your settings on the fly but for 2K vets like me it's no problem, I feel right at home. For newbies, I suggest you stick with it. If you do you'll find out that what you're playing could very well be sports game of the year.

And it's just a demo. That's what's scay. I can't wait for the full game.

antoniogaud said:
it plays like NBA Jam.

Are you new to video games?

In no way does this game play like NBA Jam.....this has to be a joke post. You may have accidently downloaded the LIVE 06 demo man.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
LiveFromKyoto said:
If you pick Live over this game, you hate basketball.

Come on now, let's not get crazy. As discussed in a prior thread, each game usually has it's positives and negatives, this year will be no different. Let's see how this year turns out.

I played a few games today. First of all, the visuals are not as good as the screenshots. Just not as smooth as the shots. Looks good, no doubt, but just not as good as the shots. The gameplay seems to be alot more up-tempo than last year. Of course this is the demo and 2 of the elite teams in the league, so maybe the real game is different. One thing I saw about the AI I didn't like was the low-post defense. I had Antoine Walker backing down Dirk and Dampier came over to help, leaving Shaq wide open for the pass and dunk. I did that a few times in seperate games. Again, maybe this was just a quirk of the demo.

Lastly, one thing that has always irked me about nba2k games are the animations. Yes, they look great, but the sequences are so long that I feel like I am not in control. On these games I played, this issue came up over and over again. Especially in the post. Flicking the stick put into motion moves that had me sitting back and watching instead of playing. Maybe I need to get better at it, but if I have had this issue every year, I doubt that is the case. I'll still buy the game and hope to play some of you guys online.

NBA2k7 demo is not bad, it is good. But had lil irks that I don't like. Just like every basketball game after NBA Live '98 on the PC. Hopefully the Live demo is soon and actually is a good representation of the game, unlike last year.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Dammit I only have 868MB free. Buh-by Madden demo.

Those complaining about the visuals, what camera are you using? Does the demo allow you to adjust the camera?

Zep

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
Dammit I only have 868MB free. Buh-by Madden demo.

Those complaining about the visuals, what camera are you using? Does the demo allow you to adjust the camera?

No..Its broadcast camera. Wait till they use the 2k camera, im sure it will look tons better.

Zep

Banned
Also found out if you hold LT+ Shoot your player will go off glass.

Playcalling/Subs/Coach Settings is all on the D-Pad, forget which direction does what.

After having spent about the past hour or so playing the game, this is what makes me smile as a gamer.

The game looks just F****** brillant on just about every level, from the crowd movement, people walking down the isles, the cheerleaders (F*** YOU MADDEN FOR NOT PUTTING IN MY WIMENZ!!) the mascots, the refs, the camera angles and hell even the players!!

EA is pretty much under some tight pressure with Live '07 because this game has it all.

Mind you this is a demo but this is going to be a day one purchase even for $60 bucks.

If you haven't tried it, download it because it brings realism and fun together in a entirely new way.

Kudos VC, I salute thee!

Amused_To_Death said:
There's one thing about VC that I've always admired and that's their passion for making great games and being responsive to their fans...
I would agree. The game (NBA2k7) just has an amazing feel to it. The pace, tempo, momentum swings and such is just amazing. It makes me enjoy playing a basketball game again. :)

fellas i hate to be a debbie downer, and i am looking forward to the game, but proclaiming a game sports game of the year or proclaiming this and that from a demo seems a bit premature. not saying these things aren't in a 5 min demo, but most people are in it for the long haul. lets see what problems pop up in game 7, 15, and 30 of the league before proclaiming it GOAT!

After playing about 5 demo games, I am completely confident to proclaim that this will be the best sports game of theyear. The graphics, gameplay, and the online options are all there this year. The new controls with the on the fly adjustments will help make each game a really interesting back and forth strategic affair on the higher levels. Everything that made the game suspect has been either eliminated or toned down significantly. No more half court passes, Isomotion abuse, crashing the lane at will, and yes there is a mid range game to play this year. Love the different animations for shooting and ft shooting, it will force people to learn their teams. Best of all, no tedious league daddy crap for tracking the leagues. I cannot wait to start this league!!!

All my fellow fans pray to whoever you pray to that this game will not have any of the game killing bugs that always seem to find their way into 2K's sports games. Less than 2 weeks bitches!!

PhatSaqs

Banned
I played one game.

The game is a must buy.

The attention to detail is mindblowing.

The gameplay is awesome.

SGOTY Justified.

That is all.

fellas i hate to be a debbie downer, and i am looking forward to the game, but proclaiming a game sports game of the year or proclaiming this and that from a demo seems a bit premature. not saying these things aren't in a 5 min demo, but most people are in it for the long haul. lets see what problems pop up in game 7, 15, and 30 of the league before proclaiming it GOAT!

Just a feeling I have based on the content I saw from the demo of the game. I tried to do much of the game breaking stuff from previous years and I was very happy with the results. Although this is a demo, most of the features from the full game are in from a gameplay perpective. If Madden had all it's ducks in a row knocking out the bugs and the hit and miss online play, it would be in the discussion too.

Klocker

has the potential to be the best sports game to date IMO. Amazing animations, realistic gameplay + and the interactions and signature moves are spot on.

can't wait to play it with the "Drive" camera.

Cloudy

Banned
Cheesers are gonna HATE this game :lol

- Driving to the hoop isn't easy
- Trying to cheese the ball up the court with long passes off the inbounds = neutralized
- Threes aren't as easy as they were last year

In short, the demo makes it seem like SIM play will be rewarded while streetball type play will be penalized..

DMczaf

Played a few sessions last night before passing out (2am demos are not cool!) Just some quick thoughts.

-I love how you can't just smother the inbound passer now. Theres a barrier and when you get to the barrier, your player goes into the hands up and waving animation. It was pathetic how people would get steals just by running around like a maniac on top of your inbound passer the last few years.

-The AI actually puts their hands up for most passes now. Some passes still get through, but at least the AI attempts to knock the pass down with their hands. In NBA2K6, it was great watching people take advantage of the retarded AI by passing into the paint over and over again (Hey Konex!), so when you switched to a zone, now they can take all the 3s they want. It was practically a lose-lose situation vs. teams with great shooters and inside presence.

-Just from those few short games, I'm spotting several new animations per session. Examples like when you pass into the center, and then pass it back to the cutting guard, he actually does the correct backdoor passing animation. Or when you do the pump fake, get your defender in the air and then shoot under him, they corrected that animation as well.

-Tempo seems to be slowed down, which is great. They even added an animation where after the other team scores, and you inbound the ball, your player will do that nonchalant dribble that PGs do when they are just walking up to the halfcourt line. When you try to pass the ball up court quickly to get those cheap fast break points like last year, you either get the ball stolen or when your teammate does get the ball, he has to slow down to at least catch the ball most of the time.

-Mid-range game looks like its there, but then again it looked like it was in NBA2K6. Problem was, the people that actually did have a mid-range shot in real life didn't have one in the game. Remember Elton Brand, FMT?! :lol

- Trying to cheese the ball up the court with long passes off the inbounds = neutralized

Jobber am cry

Manp

i didn't look for a way to change the difficulty setting so, on default, is this demo supposed to be easy? hard? what?

i've never played a basketball game before (well maybe some demos) and after playing for a coupe of hours i can win almost everytime

:)

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
DMczaf said:
Jobber am cry

when in the blue hell did i try long inbound passes? That was eliminated in 2K6.

I know it's a demo but it's a HUGE hole in it.

Top Bottom