• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2k7 Demo - it's up! Post impressions here

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Ok, I played for literally 2 straight hours last night. The best part is I can compare directly because I have been playing 2K6 for the past couple of weeks daily (my g/f likes b-ball games). First thing I noticed that was pretty odd is that the game is not nearly as smooth as last year. The fluidity of the moves is choppy, but this may be an old demo. I noticed that the arena announcer doesn't say all of the player's names and says numbers like "3 pointer for # 55!" Again, this leads me to believe that some of this stuff is placeholder. Player models are less detailed and also look less like themselves this year (Shaq looked better last year). Other than those things, the gameplay has been upgraded ridiculously. I mean, the lost art (jumpshot) is back and it's awesome. On the hardest difficulty on 2K6 I could blow past anyone jam. Even on pro this game is much tougher.

I totally disagree.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
shpankey said:
Right Bumper then "?" button pass [using the button of the icon above the player] making sure NOT to push the Left analog stick in any direction pass: this does an immediate direct normal pass to the player right to where he is at, at that time. it does not lead him, nor does it cue him to go to a new spot. this is the pass most games use by default and is the pass I wish I had access to directly, without so much hassle.

That is the way to go. The lead pass has worked for me a couple of times to get the big men to go the hoop, stay there if they are already in position or even make them turn around and get back to the position I need them in (alley-oops are even better than lead but the % you miss is pretty high). But the way to do what you were asking is to use the direct pass system. Honestly shpankey I use the R-bumper and pass icon 95% of the time. I have been playing like that for years. If you know the play your team is running and where the recieving player is going to be it's pretty much a perfect system. Plus I get to know all my players by appearance so I know that if I see Lebron posting up I know it's the X button. Once you get used to using the system properly you don't ever have to look for the icon you just hit R-bumper and the pass button a split second later.

Give that a try.

Are you planning on playing in our league this year??

shpankey

not an idiot
Truelize said:
That is the way to go. The lead pass has worked for me a couple of times to get the big men to go the hoop, stay there if they are already in position or even make them turn around and get back to the position I need them in (alley-oops are even better than lead but the % you miss is pretty high). But the way to do what you were asking is to use the direct pass system. Honestly shpankey I use the R-bumper and pass icon 95% of the time. I have been playing like that for years. If you know the play your team is running and where the recieving player is going to be it's pretty much a perfect system. Plus I get to know all my players by appearance so I know that if I see Lebron posting up I know it's the X button. Once you get used to using the system properly you don't ever have to look for the icon you just hit R-bumper and the pass button a split second later.

Give that a try.

Are you planning on playing in our league this year??
sweet thanks. will do. my ony problem with that is having to NOT push the analog stick. that's a toughie for me. :/

oh, and i'm not sure yet. i still want to play the full version in a different view (i have a hard time in the side view and much prefer the Drive cam) and see what i think about the game at that point. it will also depend on how involved i am in the nhl2k7 league. i really don't like to play in a league unless i'm head over heals for a game (which is why i'm in nhl2k7, just awsomeness!). but i'm thinking yeah, if that's the case, and if you got a spot, i'd like to get in if i can. :) though i'm betting getting my favorite team [Mavs] will be tough this year.

qcf x2

Ramirez said:
I'm really late on this,but am I missing something or has yet another 2K game going to come out with no real way to control what type of dribble move I do?

:lol

He can't be serious.

Zep

Banned
http://sports.ign.com/articles/733/733443p1.html

-10 Things you might not know about 2k7!

nba-2k7-20060919110348928-000.jpg

Saved Replays in Scoring Summary

Introduced in NFL 2K5, every scoring play in a game is documented in the Scoring Summary option. Select any of the scoring plays and you can watch a replay of that scoring drive. Even if you're in the 4th quarter, you can still watch a replay back in the 1st quarter. On top of that, you can save any replay to the hard drive and replay it later so you can remind buddies of "that dunk" you did on them last night.

Zep

Banned
I'm calling it now...There is gonna be a glitch in this feature. Amazing as it sounds, MS has a problem with it's small ass HD and its caching abilities.

On another note, anyone see that Live commercial? Looks like shit.

JB1981

DaddyZ said:
I'm calling it now...There is gonna be a glitch in this feature. Amazing as it sounds, MS has a problem with it's small ass HD and its caching abilities.

On another note, anyone see that Live commercial? Looks like shit.

Yeah, I saw it last night during Monday Night Football. I can't believe they used that footage fo r the commercial. It looks terrible.

Yeah, I saw it last night during Monday Night Football. I can't believe they used that footage fo r the commercial. It looks terrible.

That had to be the PS2 or Xbox version, because that crap was fugly!!!!

qcf x2

DaddyZ said:
http://sports.ign.com/articles/733/733443p1.html

-10 Things you might not know about 2k7!

Sounds like they added a bit of depth. The extra sliders, improved player cards, custom 24/7 moves, etc. all sound sweet. And the two camera views IGN talked about look interesting. I wonder if the coach's head shakes violently when the team doesn't perform, and if you'll see the players huddle around you during timeouts.

When does this release again?

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Ramirez said:
Yea,I'm sure I'll missing out on a league that dies about 3 weeks in because Konex can't get people to play :lol

You mean when you personally don't play more than 2 games in a season? I don't think that's Konex's fault :p. I did appreciate all the free forfeits thanks.

Cloudy

Banned
Dsal said:
You mean when you personally don't play more than 2 games in a season? I don't think that's Konex's fault :p. I did appreciate all the free forfeits thanks.

I'm glad I didn't have to point that out. It's ridiculous how people who have serious problems with a game join a league, participate half-heartedly and blame others for dwindling interest in said league :lol

hgplayer1

I just skimmed through the last couple pages of this thread and I noticed sphankey complaining about the passing and how your passes cause a wide open guy to move out of position and negate an easy shot.

was this not in 2k6? I just played a game of 2k6 the other day and it was one of the main things that pissed me off. I would pass to my big guy in the post and they would come out to the perimeter to catch the pass.

yes I was using RB+(LT,A,B,X,Y) to make the pass. I even mention to my cousin that I wondered if there was a way to avoid that happening but I dont play it enough.

shpankey

not an idiot
hgplayer1 said:
I just skimmed through the last couple pages of this thread and I noticed sphankey complaining about the passing and how your passes cause a wide open guy to move out of position and negate an easy shot.

was this not in 2k6? I just played a game of 2k6 the other day and it was one of the main things that pissed me off. I would pass to my big guy in the post and they would come out to the perimeter to catch the pass.

yes I was using RB+(LT,A,B,X,Y) to make the pass. I even mention to my cousin that I wondered if there was a way to avoid that happening but I dont play it enough.
that's what a few posters have been responding to. basically, they said what you have to do is do what you're doing, except let go of the analog stick when you do that direct pass; making sure to not push it in any direction when you pass. sucks i know, but they're saying it's not too bad once used to it. i'm still skeptical myself.... i don't like the idea of taking my thumb off the movement stick.

also, and a more simple way, which works in the situation you describe [which is the one i described earlier] is to use the lead pass [B button]. that works when you got a guy under the basket, but as i pointed out earlier, doesn't work when a guy is open on the perimeter... because the B button leads the player towards the basket.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Ramirez said:
I haven't participated in an NBA league in like 2-3 years,but LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL :lol

Have you tried the 2k7 demo?

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Ramirez said:
I haven't participated in an NBA league in like 2-3 years,but LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL :lol

Who was this special guy playing as the sixers last xbox season then? ;P
http://online.2k6.2ksports.com/league/team?p=xbox&l=994&t=0

You did play 3 games not 2, I was off about that, sorry. :p

We did have others end up forfeiting some games, some of them out-of-forum people. Seems like we'll have a bigger group this year of in-forum people, so hopefully we'll have less forfeits.

Ramirez

LoL,I really didn't remember playin in any...I didn't buy 2k6 I don't think =\

I didn't even bother clicking the link,but the last one I remember playin in I quit because everyone was scoring 95% of their points in the paint,and really,who could be bothered with that?Now commence to roofles,because hey,we all know in the real NBA teams score 70 of 77 in the paint...;)

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
vumpler said:
I dunno the 2k7 demo seems pretty gay. I was much more impressed with 2k6. The players look less like themselves, last year the players actually had their shots in the game now when you shoot everyone's shot looks like their 14 just throwing the ball up. You can't pump fake, the right stick no longer really tries to steal its more of a put a hand in their face. Shaq is faster than Dwade running down the court (yeah explain that one,) shaq also looks like the black version of MTV's Stan Lee production of spiderman and it doesn't feel like you have control anymore. It feels so predetermined. I will be interested to see NBA Live 07 this year because after 5-10 times through the 2k7 demo I still hate it. I figured it would grow on me but its not even close.

Players did not have their own signature shot animations last year at all. Not a single player had a signature animation in the game. Now most of them do and you think everyone looks like a 14 year old?? What? I have seen so many new signature animations in this demo it's mind boggling. Antoine Walker has his push shot, Shaq's jump hook, Dwade's pullup, Walker's layups (he doesn't jump much, just flicks it up quickly), Dirk's jumper is perfect, Terry's high release (almost looks like he's leaning a bit). I can't really comment on the rest cause I just keep using the main players so can stare in amazement on how lifelike their shots are. Pump faking is done by tapping the shot stick up quickly and it works very well if you have the advantage - ei. Wade VS Harris. Harris goes for the fake every now and then. And if you fake in transition and with the flow of the game it works for everyone. I didn't notice Dwade being slow at all, but Dwade doesn't play a sprint game. I've been able to get the ball at half court and disect the defense with crossovers, spin moves and pro-hops that end with beautiful pullups.

I really don't see how you could have played this demo and had those opinions man. Doesn't make any sense.

Couple of other cool things I've seen. Shaq doing his little crouch and chest pump after a dunk, Shaq pulling a perfect drop step dunk on me when I was the Mavs and I'm not 100% positive cause there is no replay option in the demo but I swear I saw Walker doing the shimmy after a score. I so hope that happens.

moowear

Truelize said:
Couple of other cool things I've seen. Shaq doing his little crouch and chest pump after a dunk, Shaq pulling a perfect drop step dunk on me when I was the Mavs and I'm not 100% positive cause there is no replay option in the demo but I swear I saw Walker doing the shimmy after a score. I so hope that happens.

hehe, yeah, i noticed that also. anyone notice Payton's gum chewing while bringing the ball up court and 3pt shooting form...uncanny.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
moowear said:
hehe, yeah, i noticed that also. anyone notice Payton's gum chewing while bringing the ball up court and 3pt shooting form...uncanny.

actually yeah I noticed Payton's gum chewing too. :lol I can't believe they took the time to do that.

Rorschach

I didn't like this game initially, but it's damn well growing on me. I didn't even think I would give it a chance after the first play around, but I hungered for a basketball game! The gameplay has improved, but I'm going to have to agree with some of the people in this thread about the player models not taking a step in the right direction. There have been things added graphicswise that are a huge improvement like individual character animations. I haven't been excited over a basketball game in years (even though I love the sport). I hope the little problems are ironed out in the final version. I can't wait. :D

Zep

Banned
Looks like the full game is on display at Circuit City stores across the country.

An interesting blurb from someone who actually played it:

i need to mention this again but they have something called 2kReel where you can upload your replays and share with everyone...its like creating your own highlight reel with added effects ala batman style (the old school one) like after a big dunk *pow* in an action bubble

Thats pretty neat.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

Rorschach

DaddyZ said:
Looks like the full game is on display at Circuit City stores across the country.

An interesting blurb from someone who actually played it:

Thats pretty neat.
Awesome. Great for game recaps!

Top Bottom