• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2k7 Demo - it's up! Post impressions here

Okay. THAT was fun. A realistically scoring game? LOVE. I won the quarter 9 to 8 with a 3 pointer at the buzzer. And I love shooting with the stick. Very smooth. And Rumble is nice on the Free Throw. (What?? It is!!) And a full Automator soundtrack. Awesome.

Anyone know it's going to have all the sweet online stuff that NHL has (fantasy, leagues, dynasty fight, et al?)

Zep

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Anyone know it's going to have all the sweet online stuff that NHL has (fantasy, leagues, dynasty fight, et al?)

yes.

And Jobber, whats this "huge" hole you found? stop being a bitch!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
3's have been toned down...DM AM CRY.

DMczaf

Matrix said:
3's have been toned down...DM AM CRY.

pfft, the demo doesn't have the Bulls. Ebony and Ivory are still on the loose!

img9192336.jpg
hinrich_030827.jpg

qcf x2

Anyone care to guess what difficulty the game was on? I played 3 times and only once did I achieve a dunk, an and-1 by Shaq that was almost stuffed (free throw = mission impossible). The player movement felt a bit slow. I'll have to adjust it to fast once I get the full version.

I'm still holding out hope for real intros, more accurate rosters/ratings and a few touch ups before the final version releases. In the last game I played, the "I see your undies" glitch happened, on Shaq no less. Skinny lil legs! As soon as he went off-screen it corrected itsself, though.

Can't wait for the full version, and I am appalled that this guy had the gall to say a turd series like NBA Live was "far" superior. That's kinda like saying the Phillips CD-i was a better console than the Playstation. Excuse me, a far better console.

Anyways, the player-specific animation is insane. I'm concerned whether they were truly able to do this for every team, though, or just the so-called important ones.

'Toine's got that WNBA jumper!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
DaddyZ said:
What what? Dirk was lighting me up.

He didnt light me up in the demo :\

I'm not scared Dm,Big Ben wont be able to handle YAOZERS!

And I have rebulit T-mac with a shitty rating :p :(

hyp

BenjaminBirdie said:
And a full Automator soundtrack. Awesome.

on top of the beautifully crafted gameplay mechanics, this alone makes me want to buy the game. *here's hoping for an OST* i'm so sick of hearing shitty hiphop music in b-ball games. 2K7 does it right. no offense, but durrrry south shit is way played out in sports games.

Zep

Banned
qcf x2 said:
Anyone care to guess what difficulty the game was on? I played 3 times and only once did I achieve a dunk, an and-1 by Shaq that was almost stuffed (free throw = mission impossible).

Pro.

And damn right it is...I held it down for about 1sec and there was about another 3secs of animation afterwards:lol

hyp said:
on top of the beautifully crafted gameplay mechanics, this alone makes me want to buy the game. *here's hoping for an OST* i'm so sick of hearing shitty hiphop music in b-ball games. 2K7 does it right. no offense, but durrrry south shit is way played out in sports games.

I saw a listing for the soundtrack on Hip Hop Site, I think. What bugs me is their soundtracks always have the slickest most kick ass art style and their games look so PowerPoint and ghetto when it comes to the interface. Trick it up, guys! Synergy!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
BenjaminBirdie said:
I saw a listing for the soundtrack on Hip Hop Site, I think. What bugs me is their soundtracks always have the slickest most kick ass art style and their games look so PowerPoint and ghetto when it comes to the interface. Trick it up, guys! Synergy!

LOL!

You aren't lying, the menus look like PowerPoint from Office 98. Looks like they have some color going on this year atleast. If you can find the listing to the soundtrack, I would love to see it.

dskillzhtown said:
LOL!

You aren't lying, the menus look like PowerPoint from Office 98. Looks like they have some color going on this year atleast. If you can find the listing to the soundtrack, I would love to see it.

1. Intro
2. I Love This Game - (with Slim Thug)
3. Bang The Ball - (with Rhymefest)
4. Don't Hate The Player - (with Hieroglyphics)
5. Ball Til You All - (with Fabolous)
6. Champions - (with Aceyalone/Rakaa)
7. Baller Blockin' - (with E-40/San Quinn)
8. 2K007 - (with Ghostface/A.G.)
9. Catch Me - (with Lupe Fiasco/Evidence of Dilated Peoples)
10. Here Come The Champ - (with Mos Def/Anwar Supastar)
11. Anchor Man - (with Charli 2na)
12. Lyrics To Go - (remix, with A Tribe Called Quest)
13. Fade Away - (with Zion I)

All Auto production. (Wish Kick Push was on there for Lupe. Just because. Actually, put it on THP8. PLEASE.)

dskillzhtown

BenjaminBirdie said:
1. Intro

All Auto production. (Wish Kick Push was on there for Lupe. Just because. Actually, put it on THP8. PLEASE.)

Looks good to me. I am going to have to get this. Little Brother's track on last year's game was my fave.

dskillzhtown said:
Looks good to me. I am going to have to get this. Little Brother's track on last year's game was my fave.

Yeah, that was good. Although I'm so partial to that Aes Rock track. I would listen to it on the way to work and I would so totally clap along like a goon!

dskillzhtown

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah, that was good. Although I'm so partial to that Aes Rock track. I would listen to it on the way to work and I would so totally clap along like a goon!

I wonder if any song will get picked up by the NBA like 'Excellent' did last year.

I love 'Planet Rock' being in the background on the 'Press Start" screen in 2k7.

hyp

BenjaminBirdie said:
1. Intro

thanks bro. i'm diggin' the fact that acey, hiero and zion i are all on there. those are the cats i used to listen to back in college. and you're right about the powerpoint interface. wtf VC?? they need to hire a new UI artist, stat.

qcf x2

I think the music sucks, the song they play at the intro is annoying garbage (upgrade from the Office Max microphone, buddy). And aceyalone might be one of the worst rappers I've ever heard (reference nba 2k5 - okay player, pull up a chayer, I'm aceyalone and I'm runnin for mayorrrr, my rhyme so smooth and de-bo-naire, that's just the intro as if you cayer, okay player). I think I'll try and help VC with the soundtrack to next year's game. None of the tunes from 2k6 were basketball tracks. Different tastes, though, no hate. At least they aren't going the EA Madden route and having some non - hip hop track as the theme music.

Man, the CPU does some stupid stuff when you let the demonstration run. Shotclock violations, inbound passes that hit off the backboard, etc.

I was hoping there would be Hasselhoff posters in the stands. Maybe they'll be unlockable for the Crib. Speaking of which, I hope they either re-did the whole Crib thing or removed it completely.

qcf x2

I'll another criticism. The Heat arena should be full of fans wearing white. They make appropriate fan clothing for other sports games, so why it isn't in this game I don't know.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
qcf x2 said:
I'll another criticism. The Heat arena should be full of fans wearing white. They make appropriate fan clothing for other sports games, so why it isn't in this game I don't know.

white was only used for this year's playoffs

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I've played atleast 35 games now, and I'm still amazing by the frigging animation in this game...

Gameplay is excellent too - it doesn't feel arcadey like Live (used to?), and I haven't found a cheap way to play yet at all - everything can be countered or go bad for you if you try to spam, which is excellent... awesome job devs...

And I must say that making subs without pausing the game is pretty damn cool, and it's a wonder why it hasn't been done yet while it feels so natural... man...

Is there a way to make the coach menu disappear sooner? Or do you really have to wait for it to go away on its own? It's fine waiting for it to go away, but I wanna know, just in case that you can...

And it must be brought up - everything going on on the courtside and background looks so real... I mean, real - right down to the mascot running around in the front of the stands, the cameramen, the buff-boys, the cheerleaders, the bench... it's unreal... it really looks like I'm watching a real game...

Day one purchase...

BTW, thanks for the cross-over tip DaddyZ - I've been wondering how you did it...

qcf x2

Cerrius said:
white was only used for this year's playoffs

The demo was of the playoffs, I thought. Heat vs Mavs in Miami.

Do you think they'll have white for the playoffs in the full 2k7? I hope so.

kruskev

qcf x2 said:
The demo was of the playoffs, I thought. Heat vs Mavs in Miami.

Do you think they'll have white for the playoffs in the full 2k7? I hope so.

It changes every year the year before was black I think and this year was white so i am guessing it will be red upcoming season.

hyp

qcf x2 said:
I think the music sucks, the song they play at the intro is annoying garbage (upgrade from the Office Max microphone, buddy). And aceyalone might be one of the worst rappers I've ever heard (reference nba 2k5 - okay player, pull up a chayer, I'm aceyalone and I'm runnin for mayorrrr, my rhyme so smooth and de-bo-naire, that's just the intro as if you cayer, okay player). I think I'll try and help VC with the soundtrack to next year's game. None of the tunes from 2k6 were basketball tracks. Different tastes, though, no hate. At least they aren't going the EA Madden route and having some non - hip hop track as the theme music.

to each his own, but judging by your distaste of "planet rock" i can see why you're not diggin' the music. but "no hate"? please. you just said aceyalone might be one of the worst rappers you've ever heard. freestyle fellowship/project blowed probably doesn't ring a bell to you either. so what's considered a basketball track by your standards? i didn't know the NBA had a specific theme when it came to music.

newsguy

kruskev said:
It changes every year the year before was black I think and this year was white so i am guessing it will be red upcoming season.

Actually this past year was white, the year before was red (the red zone). NBA video games won't be able to mimic this because there's no way of knowing what promotion teams will have beforehand. I work for the Heat and didn't know we were doing the white or red until the last minute.

JB1981

Wow. This game just keeps surprising me. The amount of animations is really astonishing. I just had a sequence where Jason Williams and Jason Terry both dove for a loose ball, got tangled up, Williams ripped it away and passed it off while sitting down. It was so awesome. Also, I got juked out hardcore earlier .... Josh Howard put Antoine Walker on the floor with a crossover. This game plays so ****ing awesomely.

Matrix

FrenchMovieTheme said:
that soundtrack sucks balls. where is my rock and roll music! that is what basketball is all about

:lol

shpankey

not an idiot
love the demo, though i really do hate the camera perspective. can't wait to get the full version to play in the "Drive cam" [ first created in Inside Drive! :D ] though i hear it goes by a different name now.

i honestly don't know why anyone would play from this awful perspective. :/

newsguy

Wait, which perspective is in the demo? The default in 2K6 was the left to right view that you see in all the preview vids, is this the one?

qcf x2

hyp said:
to each his own, but judging by your distaste of "planet rock" i can see why you're not diggin' the music. but "no hate"? please. you just said aceyalone might be one of the worst rappers you've ever heard. freestyle fellowship/project blowed probably doesn't ring a bell to you either. so what's considered a basketball track by your standards? i didn't know the NBA had a specific theme when it came to music.

Hey, calm down. There's no specific theme, but a basketball track to me would be something with a beat that gets you hyped up, songs that sample bands (Trick Daddy, or that one "We Ready" song) are good for that, so is something like Joe Budden's "Focus," almost any of Fabolous's singles, Beware of the Boys by Jay-Z, stuff like that. And before you say I'm a dirty south fan, nah, but the music needs to be hype music. And if that doesn't hype you up for some hoops, that's fine, you did ask for my opinion. I'll take the good old Sirius/Chicago Bulls warmup theme over all of the above, anyhow.

I'm not trying to offend you with my opinion. They have the custom soundtrack option for people like myself, which is more than I can say for EA. Everybody wins (except...yeah, the poor souls that purchase Live).

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Wow. They were not ****ing around this year...

This is great.

AWESOME.. BRAVO! They absolutely put a lot of effort into this game... Hopefully the final product shows a completed end-product that is just as solid...

The Good:

1. Awesome awesome animation/gfx..
2. the court is "alive" - you see people reacting to picks, fouls, etc.
3. Great shooting style.. excellent signature moves
4. Lob button/Perimeter passing - great idea
5. Seems like there is a lot of depth in the game... And it will reward you based on how well you learn the system... Or at least that is what I am HOPING for...
6. Great cam!

The Bad:

1. AI was terrible - might be low level...
2. Control over the player in terms of driving to the hoop could be better - at least dedicate one button for cross-over or something... at least they got rid of the HORRIBLE steal with the right analogue concept from 2k6
3. Passing seems a little slow... I would expect lob to be much faster...
4. Free throw shooting... ugh... Still terrible... I applaud for trying to improve the NBA Live way of doing things... but come on guys it can't be that tough...
5. The presentation SUCKS... It's god-awful... from the crappy scoreboard to the play by play to the simplistic music in-game (where are the fans in the game?) to the terrible arena design overall (low res texture LCD monitors at the beginning FTL)... This could probably change though for the final product...

newsguy said:
B_851bb444fd56ea8408ac82b251703d0e.jpg

Jigga disagrees :(

And that face wakes up along side Beyonce every day. What a lucky dude.

Anyway, 2k7 is crazy clown good. I just bought Lego Star Wars 2 but have yet to play it because of this damn demo. Just had a kick butt quarter. It came down to a final second shot. I was up by one, Mavs (CPU) inbounds the ball, 20 seconds left in the quarter. Terry dribbles up court, stop between the three point line and the half court line. He dribbles there for about 10 seconds, then swings the ball over to the wing to Howard. Howard then drops it down to a posting Dirk. He works on Haslem, then hits him with a Dirk turn-a-round fade-way jumper. Nothing but the bottom of the net. I loss the quarter but have never before been so impressed by a b-ball games closing quarter AI.

play the demo 4 times and the game is pretty awesome. i like the flow and they seem to forcefully slow the game down (seems like when you first pass it in you have to walk for just a bit before you can turbo boost your guy and run). the defense and inside game seem highly improved as i saw good positioning and fouls called. one thing i am disappointed in is the graphics. they are good but there is some player tearing (i can see throw shaq, for instance, as there are broken pieces between his jersey and shorts). also, howcome they can't give a guy like dirk (with semi-long hair) real hair? it's just like a glopped on piece of polygon. kind of disappointed in this especially since some next gen sports games have things like free flowing dreadlocks, etc. other than that i am pretty stoked about the game. i love the quick coaching menu, solves a lot of the little problems i had. and FINALLY they have allowed the shoulder buttons to be used as set plays! now you can get 8 set plays instead of 4. thank christ!

yeah i noticed some clipping issues as well...

i am thinking it will all get resolved... but then vc track record in creating "complete end products" isn't very good... they have sooooooo much potential and their games show it... but for some reason the end polish always seems missing (something i've noticed ea is actually pretty good at doing)... just my opinion tho

still in terms of gameplay... i dunno how nba live is going to be... but knowing EA... 2k7 is gonna rape it on that front

JB1981

tehrik-e-insaaf said:
yeah i noticed some clipping issues as well...

i am thinking it will all get resolved... but then vc track record in creating "complete end products" isn't very good... they have sooooooo much potential and their games show it... but for some reason the end polish always seems missing (something i've noticed ea is actually pretty good at doing)... just my opinion tho

still in terms of gameplay... i dunno how nba live is going to be... but knowing EA... 2k7 is gonna rape it on that front

Top Bottom