• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2k7 Demo - it's up! Post impressions here

shpankey

not an idiot
i always wished they would allow you to call plays with the right analog stick (pushing it up, down, left right to navigate through some quick playcalling menu's). ie: push up for full court defense, down for half-court D, etc. etc.

to me, this always made much more sense than the d-pad, which required you to actually stop moving. but in real life, the pg calls plays as he walks the ball upcourt.

but ya, the shoulder button is at least a helluva lot better than the d-pad shit... but imo, the right analog would be even better still. :D

Zep

Banned
tehrik-e-insaaf said:
but for some reason the end polish always seems missing (something i've noticed ea is actually pretty good at doing)... just my opinion tho

Not in next-gen...EA has dropped the ball TWICE! 2k will do something dumb, I guarentee it.

Zep

Banned
shpankey said:
i always wished they would allow you to call plays with the right analog stick (pushing it up, down, left right to navigate through some quick playcalling menu's). to me, this always made much more sense that the d-pad, which required you to actually stop moving. but in real life, the pg calls plays as he walks the ball upcourt.

but ya, the shoulder button is at least a helluva lot better than the d-pad shit... but imo, the right analog would be even better still.

After the computer scores...if you dont hit anything, the computer will take over walking up the court for you while in your playcalling menu.

shpankey

not an idiot
DaddyZ said:
After the computer scores...if you dont hit anything, the computer will take over walking up the court for you while in your playcalling menu.
but i don't wanna have the computer take over for me. ;) maybe i wanna push the ball up and call a play at the same time.

that's not even to mention defense. :D

shpankey

not an idiot
the more i play it, the more issues i'm starting to have with it. a couple annoying ones.

i hate how players move to a new position when i pass to them, despite them being wide ****ing open. i get double teamed and the man on my team who is now uncovered is just standing there under the basket wide open; so i immediately pass to him, only to then watch as he now runs out from being uncovered and run into traffic out at the perimeter. erik dampier, to the perimeter? wtf?

that's really just one example of this horrible flaw that is damn near ruining this game for me. it's really weird, if you pass to someone wide open, there is a small delay while the uncovered player runs to a new position. frustrating. it actually happens all the time, not just when their open. it's really, really... REALLY aggravating.

also having a few issues with waiting on animations to finish, which kind of gives me a disconnected feeling every once in awhile. this is also what's happening on the above issue with passing, but in this case, it happens everywhere, on everything.

shaq appears to be reggie miller at the free throw line. out of all the times i've played this demo, i have only seen him miss once, and even then he got his own rebound and put it back in. if i had to guess, i'd say he's hit about 40 straight free throws on me.

ok, i list this last, because it is the most annoying. the cpu has super duper ultra super speed on defense. Haslam and Shaq can literally run 2 to 3 times faster than even the fastest players on offense. jason terry and howard get blown by, even though they have a 1/3 court head start and i'm turboing. it's literally unfukinbelievable to witness. but say you get a defensive rebound and try to push the ball up quick, all a sudden, from way back under the backet comes a blur as the cpu defensive players get insane speed boosts where they can fly past you then block your once wide open lane to the hole. it's unreal. the worst part is that as a human player, you don't get this same ability when they in turn push it up.

anyhow, i really love the physics. especially how you can manually get in the way of a pass and deflect it. this is something i've always wanted b/c in old games the ball would just magically go through your players. i also love the physics of the ball and rim, damn that's so real. love the sound of the ball hitting the rim and net also. beautiful.

but unless those flaws i listed are worked out, i dunno if i can honestly enjoy this game. those are hard pills to swallow for me. damnit, i don't think Inside Drive 04 is ever gonna be topped. :/

crunker99

the presentation of this game is insane, besdt ive ever seen im pretty sure

the charater models are not great, as in nhl2k7, but other than that the animations and motion captures are some of the best ive ever seen

2k has hit it out of the park this year with hockey AND basketball. ea has beter looking player models when u take still shots, but in motion 2k owns ea on both games

now, if we could just convince 2k o make a golf and soccer game... yummmmmmmmmmmmm

shpankey

not an idiot
while the models aren't too bad... man, the eyes are just flat out disturbing. and not in a good way. it's freaky-leaky-deaky. and dirks whole face just looks flat out, well... scary. :lol

This game is pretty sweet, but with Wade I was able to leftstick/crossover my way into the paint for an easy shot/layup. Maybe he actually can do that, but I can pretty much score on every possession with Flash. Anybody else see this?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
shpankey said:
the more i play it, the more issues i'm starting to have with it. a couple annoying ones.

i hate how players move to a new position when i pass to them, despite them being wide ****ing open. i get double teamed and the man on my team who is now uncovered is just standing there under the basket wide open; so i immediately pass to him, only to then watch as he now runs out from being uncovered and run into traffic out at the perimeter. erik dampier, to the perimeter? wtf?

that's really just one example of this horrible flaw that is damn near ruining this game for me. it's really weird, if you pass to someone wide open, there is a small delay while the uncovered player runs to a new position. frustrating. it actually happens all the time, not just when their open. it's really, really... REALLY aggravating.

also having a few issues with waiting on animations to finish, which kind of gives me a disconnected feeling every once in awhile. this is also what's happening on the above issue with passing, but in this case, it happens everywhere, on everything.

shaq appears to be reggie miller at the free throw line. out of all the times i've played this demo, i have only seen him miss once, and even then he got his own rebound and put it back in. if i had to guess, i'd say he's hit about 40 straight free throws on me.

ok, i list this last, because it is the most annoying. the cpu has super duper ultra super speed on defense. Haslam and Shaq can literally run 2 to 3 times faster than even the fastest players on offense. jason terry and howard get blown by, even though they have a 1/3 court head start and i'm turboing. it's literally unfukinbelievable to witness. but say you get a defensive rebound and try to push the ball up quick, all a sudden, from way back under the backet comes a blur as the cpu defensive players get insane speed boosts where they can fly past you then block your once wide open lane to the hole. it's unreal. the worst part is that as a human player, you don't get this same ability when they in turn push it up.

anyhow, i really love the physics. especially how you can manually get in the way of a pass and deflect it. this is something i've always wanted b/c in old games the ball would just magically go through your players. i also love the physics of the ball and rim, damn that's so real. love the sound of the ball hitting the rim and net also. beautiful.

but unless those flaws i listed are worked out, i dunno if i can honestly enjoy this game. those are hard pills to swallow for me. damnit, i don't think Inside Drive 04 is ever gonna be topped. :/

pheeniks said:
This game is pretty sweet, but with Wade I was able to leftstick/crossover my way into the paint for an easy shot/layup. Maybe he actually can do that, but I can pretty much score on every possession with Flash. Anybody else see this?

Sliders.

Anyone else notice that when your player dives for a loose ball and goes over the half-court line that your teammates stand on the other side of said line. So you can't pass it to them or it's a backcourt violation. WTF?!?

qcf x2

Whenever I icon-pass to Dwyane Wade he comes to a complete stop. Also I can't dribble/crossover into a layup/dunk for anything.

Zep

Banned
lol...are you guys forgetting this is a demo? Damn, talk about dissecting. I have a problem with the floor spacing, in the IGN insider videos there seemed to be no problem but guys in this demo are all clumped together. I'm *hoping* this is earlier than that.

pheeniks said:
with Wade I was able to leftstick/crossover my way into the paint for an easy shot/layup.

did you watch him against the Mavs?

As I Mavs fan, I would say that's a realistic representation of what happened, haha

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
I didn't understand why people were raving so much about the animation before I d/l'd it, but now I know why. Awesome stuff.

The models somehow seem to look worse than the last version w/o their gross vaseline layer, maybe they didn't have their skin effect done yet for the demo or something.

Can't wait for the 25th though.

JB1981

shpankey said:

This was my biggest problem with the game last year. The offensive off-the-ball AI is horrible in this respect. The lead pass functioin mitigates it to some extent, but getting the ball to a wide-open man can still be a major pain in the ass. How could 2K overlook something as glaringly obvious as this?

Core407

Banned
JB1981 said:
This was my biggest problem with the game last year. The offensive off-the-ball AI is horrible in this respect. The lead pass functioin mitigates it to some extent, but getting the ball to a wide-open man can still be a major pain in the ass. How could 2K overlook something as glaringly obvious as this?

I'm guessing fixing it would require some serious work.

abuC

shpankey said:

:/

For that, you need to icon pass and dont push the left analog in any direction, or else the player will lead them.

epik

Huge thing that bothered me.. was the collision detection in the real time cutscenes.. they loooked like zombies from dead rising. Did visual concepts also play around with the depth of field.. cause it looks fugly.. just like nhl 2k7 as well :| .. other then that, the ingame is perfect, the animations is perfect.. hands down the best basketball game on the market.

EDIT: Im an ea fan btw.

JB1981

abuC said:
For that, you need to icon pass and dont push the left analog in any direction, or else the player will lead them.

That's virtually impossible consideringi your thumb is always on the left analog stick, because you still have to control a player.

newsguy

Ok, I played for literally 2 straight hours last night. The best part is I can compare directly because I have been playing 2K6 for the past couple of weeks daily (my g/f likes b-ball games). First thing I noticed that was pretty odd is that the game is not nearly as smooth as last year. The fluidity of the moves is choppy, but this may be an old demo. I noticed that the arena announcer doesn't say all of the player's names and says numbers like "3 pointer for # 55!" Again, this leads me to believe that some of this stuff is placeholder. Player models are less detailed and also look less like themselves this year (Shaq looked better last year). Other than those things, the gameplay has been upgraded ridiculously. I mean, the lost art (jumpshot) is back and it's awesome. On the hardest difficulty on 2K6 I could blow past anyone jam. Even on pro this game is much tougher.

Defenders use their bodies, the ball physics are not "scripted" which was an issue last year. I've seen so many stray rebounds now that in 2K6 would have been sucked into the player's hands. Animations are completely overhauled, from no rim touching dunks to Wade's top of the key jumper. Even Walker's nasty "push" free throw is in there. Passing animations are my new favorite, I've seen some slick new passes (although sometimes they're too fancy and cause useless turnovers). This game is also about setting up the halfcourt game, and it rewards patience. Anyway, you've all played it so there's nothing here u haven't seen, but is the little things get smoothed out this wil be a mid 9 reviewed game across the board... easy.

Kiyamon

I have to agree with Newsguy that some of the faces are not as good as last years.... but the animation looks awesome... you literally think you are watching an NBA game. I like that you can't just drive and dunk, you really have to work the ball around. The pace is slower which I like. This game looks like a gem.

abuC

JB1981 said:
That's virtually impossible consideringi your thumb is always on the left analog stick, because you still have to control a player.

I havent had any trouble putting my passes where I want them. I just played a game where Devin Harris got doubled in the corner, Dampier was under the basket all by himself and I hit him with a pass without having to move the analog. If you're going to pass while on the move, ease off the analog right before you do. It's really not that hard to do, it's all situational. I've seen people on other boards complaining about their guys throwing fancy passes all the time, mainly because they dont take their hand off the right trigger.

shpankey

not an idiot
abuC said:
I havent had any trouble putting my passes where I want them. I just played a game where Devin Harris got doubled in the corner, Dampier was under the basket all by himself and I hit him with a pass without having to move the analog. If you're going to pass while on the move, ease off the analog right before you do. It's really not that hard to do, it's all situational. I've seen people on other boards complaining about their guys throwing fancy passes all the time, mainly because they dont take their hand off the right trigger.
i really don't understand why they did that though, since there is already two buttons for pass, and the B button is the lead pass already, they should have done that functionality only with it, leaving the A button to just pass to where they are. it would make much more sense. it just seems redundant to have it on the B button and the A button (unless you don't push a direction on the analog).

newsguy

Oh, I also forgot to mention, the right stick defending is really odd from this camera angle. You push up, but because the camera is on the right, your player jumps left, and up steals, etc. The issue arises when you're at a different angle and the directions get out of whack. And you must now use a different direction according to your position on the court.

Zep

Banned
This has to be on "Pro"...I'm using Dirk and his jumpshot is sooooo nasty in this goddamn game. I went 7-8, 3-4 behind the arc. And hitting nothin but net with him is satisfying to say the least, with his high arching shot.

Edit: Did anyone see the Dwyane Wade pump-fake animation yet? Get the computer/human in the air and shoot the ball.

shpankey

not an idiot
newsguy said:
Oh, I also forgot to mention, the right stick defending is really odd from this camera angle. You push up, but because the camera is on the right, your player jumps left, and up steals, etc. The issue arises when you're at a different angle and the directions get out of whack. And you must now use a different direction according to your position on the court.
that's why i just use the X button for that now. seems to work better.

DaddyZ said:
This has to be on "Pro"...I'm using Dirk and his jumpshot is sooooo nasty in this goddamn game. I went 7-8, 3-4 behind the arc. And hitting nothin but net with him is satisfying to say the least, with his high arching shot.

Edit: Did anyone see the Dwyane Wade pump-fake animation yet? Get the computer/human in the air and shoot the ball.
hehe, yeah seen that. the animations are just insane in this game. see the Devon Harris shot yet? Shoot a 3 with him... holy :lol so awesome [yet true!].

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I don't know if this works for sure, but I saw a bit of the whole big man running to the perimeter to get a pass thing going on in my first couple of games (like shpankey was saying). But that was when I was just using the regular pass button. I have found (I'm pretty sure) that if you use the lead-pass buttong (B) that the big man will stay in the open spot under the hoop and better yet will even move towards the hoop or open space down low. Like I said I'm not positive that that will fix the problem but I have had an awesome time throwing lead passes to Flash and Fatty down low.

DaddyZ said:

what, does he jump into the defender and then whine if he doesn't get the foul call? :lol

shpankey

not an idiot
Truelize said:
I don't know if this works for sure, but I saw a bit of the whole big man running to the perimeter to get a pass thing going on in my first couple of games (like shpankey was saying). But that was when I was just using the regular pass button. I have found (I'm pretty sure) that if you use the lead-pass buttong (B) that the big man will stay in the open spot under the hoop and better yet will even move towards the hoop or open space down low. Like I said I'm not positive that that will fix the problem but I have had an awesome time throwing lead passes to Flash and Fatty down low.

sweet, thanks. that makes sense too in the circumstance I described. I will definitely do that from now on when I have a guy wide open under the basket.

the only problem I see with this would be in the reverse situation; say you have a wide open guy standing behind the arc and want to get it to him. if you do the B lead pass, that will obviously make him run to the rim, which would not be what you want in most cases. though I guess you can overcome it by not pushing the left analog stick in any direction and doing a direct pass, that's still a pretty lame way to have to do it.

the way I understand it, on how the passing works (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is...

B button lead pass: this in essence passes the ball out in front of the guy your passing it to, in a direct line to the basket.

A button + Left analog stick in a direction pass: this passes it to the player in the direction you are pressing the left analog stick. so if you press to the left and the A button, it will cue the man your passing it to, to take off to the left, then receive the pass [this is obviously where the "delay" in passing I was complaining about comes from].

Right Bumper then "?" button pass [using the button of the icon above the player] making sure NOT to push the Left analog stick in any direction pass: this does an immediate direct normal pass to the player right to where he is at, at that time. it does not lead him, nor does it cue him to go to a new spot. this is the pass most games use by default and is the pass I wish I had access to directly, without so much hassle.

newsguy

soul creator said:
what, does he jump into the defender and then whine if he doesn't get the foul call? :lol

EXACTLY, and he then continues to flash his NBA championship ring. It's a new animation, plus the diamonds are bump mapped and shaded for accuracy.

Ramirez

I'm really late on this,but am I missing something or has yet another 2K game going to come out with no real way to control what type of dribble move I do?Map it to the ****ing right stick like Live and get it over with,unacceptable.

Really doubt I drop 60 dollars on this or Live for that matter.

I'm really late on this,but am I missing something or has yet another 2K game going to come out with no real way to control what type of dribble move I do?Map it to the ****ing right stick like Live and get it over with,unacceptable.

Really doubt I drop 60 dollars on this or Live for that matter.

The way the jukes and crossovers are handeld by the 2K team is brilliant. Instead of allowing users to go ahead and jam on the right stick ad naseum to cheese their way into the lane, the 2K system actually requires one to have skill to pull off the more complicated moves. I can pull off crossovers, spins, fakes, drop steps, and hop steps whenever I want. You just need to practice buddy. The shot stick is going to be the new standard, it just feels right. To each his own, but you will be missing out on one hell of a game because you want to play it like Live plays. Monday can't come soon enough!!!

Yea,I'm sure I'll missing out on a league that dies about 3 weeks in because Konex can't get people to play

Wanna bet a tag and avatar change you will be eating crow when the league is a hit? I can see it now, "2K Sports is my Daddy!!" with a big fat 2K logo. :D

Top Bottom